British Non profit making colonies?

Hi all

I was wondering if any one can provide me with or point me in the right direction to finding a list of the British colonies that where non profit making?

I've read a lot on here that the consensus was that other than the white dominions and India pretty much every thing else was a money sink

Also does it mention anywhere why they were such (or have potential to be turned around with better management etc)

thanks

Very difficult as it probably depends on how you do the accounting (ie share of cost of army/navy, benefit of captive export markets to home industries, etc)

Aden?
Oman
Persian Gulf Residency
All that comes to mind quickly...more strategic positions than economically profitable...(Right place, wrong time.)

Hi all

I was wondering if any one can provide me with or point me in the right direction to finding a list of the British colonies that where non profit making?

I've read a lot on here that the consensus was that other than the white dominions and India pretty much every thing else was a money sink

Also does it mention anywhere why they were such (or have potential to be turned around with better management etc)

thanks

When! The list of profit making colonies is probably different in 1800 from 1900 from 1950.

Only a small part is an actual colony.

Not a colony but a protected state.

Persian Gulf Residency
Likewise not colonies. Plus IIRC they came under the Indian Office and Viceroy in Delhi so if the Raj was making a profit it should take care of them as well.

Really aside from the time period probably also need to clarify whether Matt meant just the colonies, the protectorates and protected states as well, or all or various bits and pieces that were included in what was referred to as the British Empire.

Semantics, really. From the legal discourse of the imperial powers, they were protectorates or trucial states. However, "(a colony is) a territory under the immediate political control of a state, distinct from the home territory of the sovereign," they were colonies. The OP mentions everything besides the White Dominions and India, neither of which were, in British imperialist discourse "colonies," so...

I would say from 1900 to the late 1960s, while I know there were a lot of protectorates etc during this time frame.

There's many posts stating the empire was a support mechanism for the trade of the UK who imported raw materials in and exported finished products. And that well as the burden of protecting the colonies they were making money. Now I'm just interested in finding out which ones were the worse offenders. I would assume the Caribbean and west African colonies?