British Florida: the TL

Ok so the questions I've received had given me enough push to start mapping out a brief TL of post-war Florida. And then, I had some unfortunate news.

My best friend has passed away. The world has lost one of its brightest lights.

If I'm feeling up to it, I'll try to post an update this weekend. As my intention has been a "scientific" AH, I've avoided the use of fictional names or persons.

I will be breaking that going forward. In honour of my friend, I now have the name of Florida's first black (as opposed to mixed-race) Prime Minister.

The next posts will describe early post war changes and the impact of the Beveridge report on education, the early Florida Welfare State, cultural regions, the impact of the American civil rights movement, and the rise of Florida's greatest Prime Minister, Timothy "TK" King. RIP

Ok so the questions I've received had given me enough push to start mapping out a brief TL of post-war Florida. And then, I had some unfortunate news.

If I'm feeling up to it, I'll try to post an update this weekend. As my intention has been a "scientific" AH, I've avoided the use of fictional names or persons.

I will be breaking that going forward. In honour of my friend, I now have the name of Florida's first black (as opposed to mixed-race) Prime Minister.

The next posts will describe early post war changes and the impact of the Beveridge report on education, the early Florida Welfare State, cultural regions, the impact of the American civil rights movement, and the rise of Florida's greatest Prime Minister, Timothy "TK" King. RIP
Rip to your close friend, and condolences to you and his family

Higher Education
St. Augustine, Florida, 1960-something

A young black man draws on a roughly-formed joint. Without exhaling, he passes it off to another young man, white but swarthy, with a delicate precision.

"
Grab the window" said the white man, the two managed to swap roles without swapping places in the tightly cramped dormitory bathroom they were crowding. They continued to pass the joint back and forth, constantly adjusting their grip and the door and fanning with their t-shirts to try to direct the smoke outside. After a minute or so, they had perfected this 'ballet' of sorts and they relaxed into conversation.

"Gotta say man, I don't think I've ever had a white friend before"

"Likewise" came the response. "I mean, like, with black folks"

They were an odd pair. There was Danny Durante, son of an Italian immigrant father and a Tampa-born Jewish mother who's parents had immigrated from Russia. He was aggressive, high-strung, and athletic. His grades had qualified him for the top university in the country, on a full-ride scholarship no less, but it was his dogged determinism, bred from growing up on the east side of St Petersburg in a tough immigrant neighbourhood, that allowed him to excel in the face of the (still) fairly WASP University of St Augustine

Contrasting him was Timothy King. Nearly a foot taller, he was stoic, reserved, and contemplative. He did have a Jamaican-born grandparent, but both his parents could trace their ancestry at least partly to enslaved persons brought to Florida by Loyalists during the American Revolutionary War.

As they both were out-of-district students, and from families below the income cut-off, they both qualified for student accommodations despite being in their third years of university. They had been matched as roommates because they shared birthdays. This method of matching students tended not to work as well as the administration predicted, but with Danny and TK, they had hit it off instantly due to a mutual love of marijuana and hatred of Manchester United.

"Lemme ask you something" said TK to Danny as he passed the joint again.

"Go for it" replied his newly-minted friend.

"What the heck is up with camping?"

Danny laughed and snorted and smoke almost came out his nose.

TK continued, apparently expecting resistance to this question. "I mean like, you pay good money to rent a place, you get it just the way you like it, then you pay more money to leave and go into the jungle with the mosquitoes and snakes."

"White people like to 'get into the outdoors'" replied Danny. He put on a performative goofy grin as he said this

(tbc)

Last edited:

I'm sorry for your loss
Take all the time you need to remember and honour your friend

May your friend rest in peace and I offer you my condolences.

Damn. Condolences to you and his family. Can I send them a semi-trailer full of beer?

Post War Floridian Sociology
I had started to write about the progression of governments from the 1930s, but then I realized that it was probably worthwhile to discuss some of the socio-cultural groups, from a Floridian perspective, to help make sense of the forces at play here.

Before diving right in, I need to discuss the "C-word" (coloured). I have refrained from using it in this thread because I understand that it is considered offensive in the USA, and that most of the audience for this site are American. I don't think that too much in particular is added or lost by its use or non-use, so I felt the safest bet was to not use it.

However. It is not an offensive word, for example, in South Africa. In South Africa, it specifically refers to mixed-race people (predominately African-European, but DNA studies show that most of the population have some Asian ancestry as well). I bring this up because I believe that the term would be widely used to refer to mixed-race Floridians. I will continue to refrain from using it so as to not cause offense; but if you do see me make reference to the "c-word" from here on out, know that I'm referring to the common Floridian expression for people who aren't quite white and aren't quite black.

Of course, in Florida, as everywhere, money lightens, and therefore the different groups aren't strictly defined by skin colour, although skin colour was of course an important factor. "Breeding", referring to lineage of aristocracy of one's ancestors, Education, wealth, accent, and occupation all helped define the socio-cultural groups.

With that out of the way, we can zoom in on some of these groups in a little more detail, starting with the Floridians of European or predominately European heritage.

There are three commonly used terms to refer to white Floridians, and none of them are clearly defined, and they are often overlapping.

1. Cracker - this term is also considered non-offensive in Florida, although there is sometimes a pejorative connotation, usually from wealthier white Floridians.

It originally referred to the Scottish, Irish, and Scots-Irish settlers of North Florida, especially those of the working or lower class. In its initial use, it mostly referred to a social class (the lower-class whites), but over time it became associated more particularly with their culture. As such, in the 19th century, it was common for upwardly-mobile Cracker families to eschew that label once they became wealthy enough, but in the modern era, it is very common to hear people from all parts of Florida and all walks of life describing themselves as being "of Cracker heritage".

Today's remaining "authentic" (working class whites descended from the original Irish and Scottish settlers of North Florida) are concentrated near the American border, and their accent and culture is, out of all Floridian cultures, the most influenced by that of their white Southern (US) neighbours.

See Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_cracker

2. Conch/conky - another term for white Floridians, and not particularly associated with any economic class, conch or conky is most commonly used to refer to long-time Floridian families, and/or those who have adopted a certain 'laid-back' Caribbean-associated lifestyle. A conch or conky will likely have a more noticeable West Indian twang to their standard accent.

3. River Royalty - alright I made this term up. It refers to wealthiest Floridians, especially descendants of the plantocracy, and is so named for their propensity to have large estates fronting the St. John's River. The most pejorative of the three terms.

Of course, these days, it is entirely possible to be all three simultaneously - and it may be noted descendants of more recent European immigrants may identify as part of smaller subcultures (Italian-Floridian, Greek-Floridian, Jewish-Floridian, etc.)

In addition, there are two significantly smaller, regional subcultures:

-the Minorcans (descendants of the Greek, Catalan, and Italian New Smyrna settlers, primarily located on the east coast)

-the Saint-Dominicans (descendants of white Haitians who settled primarily in West Florida)

there is also likely to be a small Cajun community in West Florida. (Later immigrants from Louisiana, not directly from Acadia)

(tbc)

Top Ten Sources of immigrants to Florida, 2021 census:

1. Cuba
2. Haiti
3. Jamaica
4. USA
5. Dominican Republic
6. Canada
7. Mexico
8. India
9. China
10. United Kingdom

Notes on the Afro-Floridian community (in progress, to be threadmarked when complete).

I came across this interesting information:
from the journal article:

Perspectives on the Motives for the Migration of African-Americans to and from Ontario, Canada: From the Abolition of Slavery in Canada to the Abolition of Slavery in the United States​

Sigrid Nicole Gallant

(accessed through JSTOR)

"True Bands"

"
One body of influence that arose from within the Black Community was called the True Band. These were societies made up of entirely black support, that focused on the method of self-help as a means of addressing the needs of the black population.

Welfare collections were taken up for the newly arriving fuguitives, attempts were made to lobby for issues such as a separate school system for black children, members of the group discouraged religious fractioning and encouraged religious coalitions, and they worked to break down some of the prejudices of their neighbors. By 1856, there were at least 14 True Bands across the country [Canada West, now Ontario] each with anywhere from 200 to 500 members.

One reason the society of the True Bands flourished was because of dishonest and insincere abolitionists. On many occasions, fugitives were left, literally, out in the cold, when shipments of clothes, food, and other supplies failed to make it to their resident Anti-Slavery society. A number of individuals posed as abolitionists, collecting funds from generous persons south of the border, and then keeping the funds for their own personal use once north of the border.

Due to the difficulty of not being able to distinguish between who was honest and who was not, blacks had to be self-sufficient, because they were more critically judge for needing and receiving private or public welfare. A temporary situation of destitution was tolerable; however, prolonged welfare or assistance was viewed with disdain. New immigrants were under tremendous pressure to find jobs soon after their arrival; white sympathy for fugitive immigrants was short-lived. Established blacks were afraid of being judged by the actions of the new immigrants, who were often from rural plantations in the southern states. The begging of a destitute new fugitive was enough to "color" public opinion about the entire population, wealthy blacks included."

Furthermore in the article, it suggests that freed slaves were reluctant to engage in field labour (seeing as this emphatically did not occur in the Jim Crow south, it seems that former slaves would avoid field labour when they had the choice), and generally preferred to work as day labourers or to own small businesses (where they would often employ other, newer arrived former slaves). This was due to black Canadians (justified) mistrust of the court system - if they didn't get paid for what they were owed today, they had to rely on the good nature (and continued fortune) of whichever white Canadian they were engaged with. Better to say "pay me today", and if they don't, don't work for them again.

By the 1851 census, more than half the black population of Ontario were skilled labourers, most typically milliners, seamstresses and teachers. But they also engaged in a variety of unskilled or semi-skilled labour positions, such as cooks or domestics.

In Florida, a larger black population might mitigate the need for protection from the white population, on the other hand, the abolitionist sentiment is likely to be significantly lower in Florida in the early period. So the True Bands likely continue to exist.

However, black-owned businesses in Florida are likely to have greater long-term success than in Ontario, as the Ontario black community was reliant on their white neighbours for a successful business. In Florida, black-owned businesses could find niche markets amongst their local population, and later, the larger African-American community in the southern states, which would lag behind the Floridian black community in wealth and education for generations (probably to this day, tbh).