Bright from Netflix

Deleted member 82792

Some fan art I just found:
ward_and_jacoby_by_thanyajk-dbxi042.jpg

https://www.deviantart.com/art/Ward-and-Jacoby-721395218

It was surprisingly decent despite the critical response.

I agree. The action was good, the world was at least a little interesting, and its the first mainstream urban fantasy i can think of. Not to mention a far better "race as metaphor" film than zootopia. I am glad there will be a sequel.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82792

It was surprisingly decent despite the critical response.

I agree. The action was good, the world was at least a little interesting, and its the first mainstream urban fantasy i can think of. I am glad there will be a sequel.
I don't what the critics were smoking or drinking when they gave the movie bad reviews. Bright is awesome!

I honestly enjoyed it. On a side note there definitely seems to be more races - I saw centaur cops at least twice and there's a mention of an army of 8 races fighting the Dark One - with the Orcs on his side.

Deleted member 82792

There are Humans, Orcs, elves, Centaurs, and Dwarves plus Kobolds being likely and possibly Dragons depending on if the one in a few scenes was sentient or just an animal.
Hopefully Bright 2 will have more details. Or they could release a comic book series.

So my family decided to watch it for...uh...not sure really, last night and made me sit down and watch it too (rather than letting me continue to be anti-social and talk to people on the internet and...uh...I'm honestly not sure what I thought about it. It was a cop movie...which I don't like, and find boring. It was at best a mediocre fantasy movie, but meh I've seen Uwe Boll movies, there's nothing in this film that can compare.

So...why are people reacting so negatively to it? It was just kinda there IMO. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. I wouldn't watch it again, but I also just don't really remember anything about it. I'm serious about that last point. I kinda get that there was something about a magic wand, a dark lord, and something about the end of the world, but beyond that I'm really not sure what was actually HAPPENING most of the time. They moved through the city and story because reasons, but I was never actually sure WHY any of this was happening, or why I was supposed to care. Doesn't help that the whole time I was kinda wonder, "Wait...so this dark lord was defeated 2,000 years ago right? So why is he/she/it such a threat to people with automatic weapons?"

So yeah my final thoughts are...I don't really have any. It wasn't good, but it also wasn't bad enough to actually make me give a damn about it beind bad like say Star Trek: Into Darkness, or The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

If anything, many of the elements of "Bright" seem like the "Cast a Deadly Spell"/ "Witch Hunt"(HBO) wherein the allohistorical elements are just items you have to run with, but once you do, they can provide future rewards. The world development seems like Shadowrun, with a mythos that is primarily Western. These elements don't hurt, but I look forward to people developing in the next season or fan literature. In the meantime, we are looking for similar developments in "Technomancer 3.0"

I saw "Bright" the other day - it was really good. I never believe the reviewers. They seem to live in some alternate universe. Most of the on-line comments I have seen are very positive. I concur. It is worth seeing again.