Bright from Netflix

I wonder if they might go with the Elves as Native Americans and Orcs as African-Americans? Elves having intrgrated thanks to magic, and Orc kept down as 'dumb muscle'. Elves certainly seem to be in the 'pretty, rich' bracket, and Orcs in the 'poor, ghetto' stereotype.

I wonder if Orcs dominate in certain sports?
If you are going to introduce magical races then try to be creative in their dynamics, don't just make them into stereotypes and crude analogies.

If you are going to introduce magical races then try to be creative in their dynamics, don't just make them into stereotypes and crude analogies.
You could always have intellectual and well-respected Orcs argue that their race is actually perfectly three-dimensional people and not just "dumb brutes" like the other races characterise them as.

Analyse cultural stereotypes within shows. When showing Orcs such as the lead character, make sure to portray them as smart, creative and utterly relatable characters kept down by oppression.

Pretty excited about the soundtrack. Lil Uzi, Future, Machinegun Kelly, seems pretty dope. Not to sure about this "orcs as black people" angle. Seems kind of heavy-handed and might get into uncomfortable territory if not handled correctly.

Wait, if the orcs are the "black people" in the analogy, who are the actual literal black people supposed to represent? The whole reason orcposting works is because it takes place in a setting where OTL races don't exist, or are radically different. Putting magical creatures in our actual world, with our actual race issues, will just make a complete muddle of all the messaging.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82792

From what I can tell, the Elves are the 1%, the orcs are the lower class and humans (regardless of skin color) are in the middle.

Wait, if the orcs are the "black people" in the analogy, who are the actual literal black people supposed to represent? The whole reason orcposting works is because it takes place in a setting where OTL races don't exist, or are radically different. Putting magical creatures in our actual world, with our actual race issues, will just make a complete muddle of all the messaging.

That's why I'm worried about their representation. When you see "first orc police officer in the district" and then every representation of orcs afterward coded African-American or Hispanic, I wonder what role actual racial minorities play in this America.

Be interesting if the back story was X happened during the 80’s, brought magic back along with Transforming y% into Elves, Orcs, etc. Conventional racism breaks down to ‘why worry about the tanned guy sitting next to you, when that thing over there can break you in half..” leading to Orc-ish ghettos, while the ‘pretty ones’ rise to the top.

Deleted member 82792

Here's the awesome song from the first trailer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alien Nation did this already and did this better. But I suppose I will wait for the high-larious reviews of this movie, where all semblance of plot, structure and characterization will be graded on a sliding scale of "well, the film makers meant well and were making a point!"

Deleted member 82792

DOSeDuFVwAAkLEk.jpg:large

DOSeKBsU8AEr8mO.jpg:large

Things that have bugged me about Bright so far:

1) If Orcs, Elves etc have existed 'forever' why is Jakoby the first Orc cop? First in that City maybe, but first ever?
2) I know its got to be relatable to the modern audience, but there seems to be a a lot of historical paralleling going on - perhaps that just enables product placement...
3) Shrek? In a world with fantasy races, that one would likely be a lot different!
4) Does Jakoby file his tusks? The 'gansta' Orcs seem to have theirs...
5) Orc skin seems odd? What's with the patterns?
6) If Orcs seem to be taking the place of the poor gangs- what has happened to the OTL poor? Simply alongside or displaced?

Last edited:
Yeah honestly the "first orc cop" thing must mean racism against orcs is incredibly strong in this US. Like Rhodesia levels of racism. It doesn't seem like the movie wants to address that if discrimination is that bad, then the police force must be the bad guys. Even if corrupt cops are the villains, the idea that a society that segregated has *good cops* and that it is an institution that attracts good people is a stretch.

EDIT: Like imagine if this was based in apartheid South Africa and the main character was the first black cop. How would he be the good guy if he's enforcing apartheid?