Brethren of the Coast: The Pirate Republic

Chapter 1: Coming of the Pirates
I've been on a bit of a pirate kick lately, and I got to thinking about the so-called "Republic of Pirates." Was there any way it could have survived and gained legitimacy? I am going to try and keep things as realistic as possible, and see where the voyage takes us. By the way, I'm still writing Back From the Brink, this is a side project while I'm going through writer's block. Without any further ado, I present the introduction and first chapter!

Brethren of the Coast: The Pirate Republic

Jolly Roger.png

For as long as men have sailed the seas, there have been pirates. When Christopher Columbus arrived in the Bahamas in 1492, he opened up a new chapter in the story of robbery on the high seas. Ships travelling to Spain from its colonies loaded with gold and silver were tempting targets, and the other European powers could not resist the chance to enrich themselves while undercutting their rival at the same time. The English in particular would sponsor many of the most famous privateers, such as Sir Francis Drake, the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe. Throughout the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, piracy in the New World, especially the Caribbean, would ebb and flow as the great powers struggled for dominance.

Despite their ubiquitous presence, no one ever believed these pirates, the so-called “enemies of all nations”, would ever be more than a nuisance. Certainly, no one thought them capable of carving out their own state. But with the sacking of Nassau by the French and Spanish during the War of the Spanish Succession, their time was at hand. Over the coming years, through struggle with enemies both within and without, the pirates of the Bahamas would go from hated “sea dogs” to a maritime power in their own right. This is the story of the Brethren of the Coast, and the creation of the Pirate Republic.

Chapter 1: Coming of the Pirates

Pirates had been a part of the Bahamas, especially the island of New Providence, for years. In 1695 Henry Avery landed on the island, bringing treasure looted from Mughal ships in the Indian Ocean. This marked the beginning of an increasing pirate presence on the island, much to the dismay of the British government which theoretically ruled there. When the war of the Spanish Succession began in 1702, the Royal Navy found itself distracted from policing London’s Caribbean holdings. The French and Spanish both attacked the island’s principal settlement of Nassau, causing the governor and many of the British colonists to flee, leaving behind about 100 civilians with no government.

When the war finally ended in 1713, hundreds of former privateers suddenly found themselves out of a job. With weapons, ships, and combat experience, they flocked to New Providence, using the island as a base to raid passing ships. One of the most respected pirates on the island was an Englishman named Benjamin Hornigold. Having served as a privateer during the war, Hornigold loathed the Spanish and, despite turning pirate, viewed his attacks as a continuation of his vendetta against Spain, and urged his fellow pirates not to attack British ships. Knowing that the Royal Navy had become one of the largest and most experienced in the world during the recent conflict, barring a few isolated incidents, most of the pirates listened. Although New Providence was officially British soil, for all practical purposes, the inhabitants governed themselves, electing their captains and dividing the spoils equally among themselves. They were quite proud of their way of life, and reluctant to see colonial rule reinstated. London, on the other hand, was embarrassed by having territory officially belonging to the crown being controlled by brigands. These disagreements put the pirates on a collision course with the British government, one that seemed unlikely to end peacefully.

Last edited:
I’ve said this before in a previous post, if the Republic of Pirates survived, and made it to the time to the American Civil War, they could start raiding the Confederacy. And if the CSA won its independence, and most countries were against the CSA, then no one is going to complain about Pirates robbing Confederate ships, maybe countries can fund t he pirates

For a second I thought this thread was about the Pirate Republic of Rabat in Morocco, populated by emigrants from Spain kicked out for being Moriscos. It lasted into about the 1680s, just before this one.

Chapter 2: Rapprochement or Repression?
Chapter 2: Rapprochement or Repression?

For years, England’s American colonists had been content to overlook the depredations of pirates. The Navigation Acts, which required that all overseas trade by conducted with England on English ships, were very unpopular in the colonies, and pirates offered a way to get trade goods, including highly sought-after luxuries, without having to pay customs duties. It helped that many pirates were Americans, and were viewed as respected members of the community, who helped enrich their fellow colonists at the expense of the crown’s enemies. This sympathy made the idea of cracking down on piracy in the New World unpopular. The colonists were not alone in their willingness to coexist with the raiders in the Bahamas. There was a faction in Parliament that hoped to enlist the services of the pirates, especially as many of them were former privateers.

The pirates, meanwhile, were starting to become more organized. Two individuals in particular emerged as leaders in Nassau: Benjamin Hornigold, and Henry Jennings. Both men took on younger pirates as proteges, forming a group known as the Flying Gang. They soon became known as the most dangerous pirates in the Spanish Main, bringing wealth and new recruits to the island. By the mid-1710’s, the island of New Providence was home to as many as 1000 pirates. The informal system of rule by captains enforcing a generally agreed upon yet informal Pirate’s Code was no longer adequate. In 1715, the most prominent captains on the island convened a council and agreed that a governing council should be formed. Englishman Thomas Barrow was elected Magistrate, with authority to enforce the laws of the island, which, for the most part, followed the Pirate’s Code. The biggest change, besides an official magistrate, was the establishment of the Brethren Council, made up of twenty Councilmen, to be elected by a popular vote.

Captain Hornigold.jpg

Benjamin Hornigold

Henry Jennings.jpg

Henry Jennings
This news came as a surprise to many, in Britain and beyond. The idea of an island full of outlaws governing itself seemed outlandish. The faction in favor of reconciliation with the pirates gained some support, as this development made New Providence appear open to civil discourse, while those in favor of reconquering the island by force felt that this was an affront to the dignity of the crown. For the moment, however, the pirates of the Bahamas had taken a large step towards true self-governance. They just had to survive the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Oh I just started reading the Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodward, I'm gonna have to come back to this thread when I'm done.

I’ve said this before in a previous post, if the Republic of Pirates survived, and made it to the time to the American Civil War, they could start raiding the Confederacy. And if the CSA won its independence, and most countries were against the CSA, then no one is going to complain about Pirates robbing Confederate ships, maybe countries can fund t he pirates

Or they could get Letters of Marque from the Confederacy and play bloody hell on Union shipping.

Either could be fun.

Or they could get Letters of Marque from the Confederacy and play bloody hell on Union shipping.

Either could be fun.
Depends, on how much slavery the Pirates would do over the decades. Because they could end up become abolitionists, and limit slavery, and focus on raiding ships

I wonder, assuming this state expands in any significant capacity, would it perhaps be through the use of pirates and privateers to force port cities, and export dependent regions into joining them?

It's next to impossible to come up with precise figures, but a sizeable portion of pirates were black or even of native american descent. They were also perfectly willing to sell slaves, so this was less out of any real idea of equality and more sheer practicality. However, given time and the generally egalitarian nature of piracy, I could definitely see the Republic eschewing racism, sexism, etc. in favor of taking in anyone who's willing to go on the account.

Last edited:
I feel when it comes to stuff like slavery, it would probably be more a matter of pragmatism. Sometimes freeing people on slave ships, other times setting them free. It would really be dependent on how that particular ship operates in particular. If anything they might recruit the most physically fit slaves then sell the rest somewhere else.