Bourbon Restoration, 1870

In OTL, the Comte de Chambord was offered the French throne after the abdication of Napoleon III. He was even supported by the Orleanists. Henri refused to become King of France because the National Assembley wouldn't adopt the fleur-de-lis as the new French flag instead of the tricolor. WI Henri had been less stubborn or the two sides came to an agreement?

France is a kingdom down to 1940. 1940-45 the king heads a collaborationist regime in southern France (e.g. TTL's Vichy). A post-war referendum does away with the monarchy and creates Third Republic. (or should that be Fourth?)

Can't see why anything outside France should change.

Grey Wolf

Donor
The younger Orleans were a vibrant lot and the reason they supported the idea was because Chambord was childless and after his death the legimist claim devolved upon them anyway.

I don't agree at all with Mr Pier. Orleans France under the Orleanist monarchs after Chambord's death would have had a massive effect on European affairs

OK, I would say I don't know what as not really expert in anythng despite my pretensions

Grey Wolf

NapoleonXIV

Banned
What about restoration of the Bourbon line in 1945? Instead of deGaulle we have a descendant of the Bourbons. He uses connections to other royal houses to raise money and support for the Resistance and is both more politic and a better tactician than deG, who is never born in this timeline. France ends up better off after the peace, almost a big winner since they also get Italy's colonies as Trust Territories.

He is offered the Kingship but turns it down to be Prime Minister for a mandated single term. At the end of that time there is an upheaval of some sort and he accepts the Throne so that he can mollify things as an eminence grise

As he gets older, his son goes into politics and becomes very popular in his own right. He too is elected PM as the head of his father's party, and then is again offered the Crown after serving one term when his father dies. He accepts and begins a tradition which has just had its third exemplar, Charlotte de Corday Perigord de Bourbon (I know nothing of French nomencleature and even less of French Royal nomencleature, sorry :eek: ) elected to her term as PM in 2004. (She is 24, the youngest world leader ever elected and certainly the most stunningly beautiful. She presides over the third largest nation in the world, since Algeria and most of France's other former Trust territories have willingly become departments in the world's most well run and by now richest and most powerful single nation.)

Or you could start it in 1870 just as well. The kings are restored as figureheads of a Constitutional Monarchy, which is overthrown and becomes a government in exile when the Nazis invade. From there the development is as outlined above.

Last edited:

Xen

Banned
French Restoration is one of my favorite topics, and in many of my timelines it comes about. The restoration of 1870 is very intresting because of the fact the Count of Chambord was very stubborn, but it had more to do with than just the flag. The House of Bourbon was a very conservative, while the Orleanists were more liberal, the Count was wanting to rule as an absolute monarch, he didnt want to have a constitution binding his powers. The battle over the flag just became the ultimate symbol over this conflict, and caused a great divide again between the Orleans and the Bourbons.

The monarchists best hope was the Count were to die, which happened over a decade later but by that time the Republicans were in firm control and the issue never became serious again. There are still those in France that want to restore the monarchy but they have a snowballs chance in hell I think.

If the Count were to accept the throne without battling over the flag or his style of rule then quite a bit could change in European history as Grey Wolf said. Perhaps King Edward VIII marries the daughter of the French King, and has a handful of children. He doesnt abdicate and everything from 1936 onward is changed drastically right there. Maybe another of France's princesses marries into Russia, during the Revolution France feels obligated to help her. Even if the communists still win, French troops manage to save their princess and the Russian Royal Family, before dying Lenin orders a purge of the party, among the victims is Joseph Stalin, Leon Trotsky becomes the new Premeir of Soviet Union.

How this would effect the First World War is beyond me, I dont know if it would, other than giving France a symbol to rally behind, or rally against once things start to go bad.