How's the start?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 1
1604118454326.png

Boluōmitya Dēshe: A Medieval Timeline.

Chapter 1: The Marriage of a lifetime.

621 AD, Chang’an, Tang Dynasty China.

Emperor Gaozu of the Tang Dynasty, born Li Yuan, and called by many as Shude wasn’t a man for patience. He had been opportunistic when he had toppled the Sui Dynasty, and he would remain an opportunistic man. And despite this however, he wanted what was best for the Middle Kingdom. The Middle Kingdom had prospered, but like every prosperous nation, everything must fall apart. And nothing is permanent in this world, other than change itself.

Nonetheless, Gaozu was also thinking about his children. Whom to pick as his crown prince? Li Jiancheng was capable, there was no denying that fact, however the fact remained that Li Jiancheng was not exactly someone Gaozu trusted in full to take over the Middle Kingdom and lead it into an era of prosperity and richs. He was too…..impudent, and not really far sighted. He had been disgraced multiple times, and had only survived the disgrace by being his son, and nothing else. Gaozu at times, felt extremely bad of his eldest son, for Li Jiancheng sometimes made him feel old, and in time disgusted as well. Gaozu found Li Jiancheng either extremely dismissive of the advice of his ministers, or too trustful of the advice of his ministers. That was something that Gaozu could not accept.

1604118508527.png

Emperor Gaozu.

Ministers were like snakes to Gaozu. They had good advice no doubt, however they had to be kept at a distance. At a distance at which they wouldn’t be able to land a harsh blow to the prestige of the dynasty, or take advantage and exploit the dynasty. That was something Gaozu feared would come into fruition if Li Jiancheng took the throne.

He either relied too much on his ministers, or simply dismissed them out of hand. Gaozu knew, that when your ministers were speaking sense, you needed to follow their advice, however filter their advices, and look for any deception and take moderate, a middle path when it came to the ministers. And this didn’t relate to the ministers either. This related to the concubines as well. They were seductive, beautiful and full of lust……lust for power that is.

It wasn’t much of a surprise to Gaozu that his young favored concubines were speaking up for Li Jiancheng. To be honest, Gaozu had always been detached from his concubines, knowing that they used the pleasures of the body to their exploitation and their own benefit. And for some reason they were throwing their lot in with his eldest son. To be fair, they had almost won him over, and Gaozu had almost met up with eldest and forgave him, however that wasn’t a possibility as of right now. Li Jiancheng had not proven himself worthy for the throne. He didn’t have the Mandate required, and there was a good chance that the people would not accept en emperor like Li Jiancheng.

In that case, Gaozu thought as he closed his eyes and folded his arms with his pristine silk woven clothes. I only have one last choice left then.

Li Shimin had proven himself to be a great commander. He had defeated multiple warlords and contenders for the imperial throne in battle, and the boy knew how to fight as well as he could administrate. The man knew how to use his ministers and yet ignore their ill advice as well. The man was cautious, yet free at the same time, and he was beloved by the people.

This wasn’t really that hard of a choice to make for Gaozu at all. He stood up, heaving slightly as he did so, he was old, and his bones would need the rest one day. He stood up and as the princes of the Tang Dynasty entered the court they bowed their heads at him and looked at him with their eyes glinting in the afternoon sun.

“Imperial Prince Li Shimin. You are as of this moment, my Crown Prince and the Heir to the Tang Dynasty.” Gaozu stated as he looked at his children impassively. Li Jiancheng looked incredibly angry at the announcement, no wonder, and Li Shimin, the future emperor now, was looking delighted. Li Yuanji looked angry at the decision as well, and the angry look on his face could be seen for all to see. The trembling anger in Li Jiancheng was there for all to see, and the face of the Prince Imperial was contorting into a disaster of an angry face. Nonetheless, Goazu remained impassive.

After a tense few minutes, Li Jiancheng stood up impassively. He reined his temper in and bowed his head before snapping his heels and walking away from the court. Some members of the court, mainly the court ministers whispered amongst each other as they looked at the display. Li Shimin and Li Yuanji remained in their positions bowing their heads to Emperor of the Tang Dynasty.

“Prince Imperial Li Shimin.” Gaozu spoke out. “You may rise, and return to your duties. I believe the southern warlords haven’t given up yet. I assign 100,000 men to you to bring them back to heel, once and for all.”

“Of course your Imperial Majesty!” Li Shimin replied as he stood up, bowed his head slightly and turned away from the court and started to walk through the court onwards to do the orders given to him. Only Li Yuanji remained as he looked at the emperor with an impassive face.

“Prince Imperial Li Yuanji.” Gaozu studied as he remarked the name of his son. Li Yuanji stood up and bowed his head as he said nothing. The boy knew better, Gaozu knew.

“Come with me. For a walk.” Gaozu stated as he beckoned his son forward. Li Yuanji looked surprise at his father’s order, and nodded as he walked up to father, helping Gaozu stand down from the throne. As they walked through the court, the court ministers whispered amongst one another, obviously wondering why Gaozu was going on a walk with his child.

Sometimes, being an emperor was unruly business. One couldn’t even take a stroll with his son without the others wondering why he was doing it.

A few minutes later, they were walking among the palace courtyard in absolute silence. Li Yuanji continued to look at the emperor with worry etched in his figures, and Gaozu simply strode on in silence, slowly and surely.

Finally, Imperial Prince Li Yuanji broke the silence. “Your Majesty, why have you called me with you on this walk?”

“Can’t a father walk with his son in peace and quiet?” Gaozu asked with a slight teasing tone present in his voice.

“He can.” Li Yuanji acknowledged. “However, my father hasn’t done anything in my entire life without a purpose. I would be extremely surprised if he started to do so right now.”

Only his sons would have the audacity to speak with him in such a manner, and only his sons could get away with it. Gaozu smiled slightly as his lips moved up slightly. “You are right. I do nothing without a purpose. I brought you here for I have been given an offer.”

“An offer?” Li Yuanji asked confusedly. “What does that have to do with me?”

“You know about the Tibetans don’t you?” Gaozu asked as Li Yuanji nodded. “Even know they are our enemy. They look at our territories with lust in their eyes. What’s worse, I doubt they will stop sending small expeditionary armies in our rear.”

“And what does that have to do with me?” Li Yuanji asked again this time his confusion ruling his voice.

“The Tibetans remain an enemy of many. I have been offered a marriage proposal, with the aim of uniting our families and sealing an alliance aimed against Tibet.” Gaozu explained slowly as he turned to look at his son.

“A marriage proposal for me then?” Li Yuanji caught up quickly.

“Yes.” Gaozu nodded. “You.”

“From whom then?” Li Yuanji asked as he folded his hand.

“The Nipolos (1).” Goazu answered. “King Amshuverma has sent an offer to me. A marriage alliance with his only daughter and you.”

“His only daughter? Who will inherit his kingdom then?” Li Yuanji queried.

1604118601168.png

Li Yuanji according to medieval paintings

“Good question.” Gaozu smiled. “King Amshuverma wishes to make his daughter Queen. With you as King Consort. Do not worry. You will have massive influence, only second to your wife, and in some cases, even higher than that of your wife.”

“The Nipolos huh.” Li Yuanji muttered. “They are a confederation. I do not like confederation. They are too…..disunited for a lack of better words.”

“That they are. However the Nipolo Minduala(2) has remained united as a confederation for long, and I doubt they will break apart so soon. Think on this marriage proposal. Nipolo is a Shangri La. They are rich in the fact that they exploit the trade in the region, and under King Amshuverma, their kingdom has risen to new heights. The North Indians do not even venture into the hills, for fear of angering this monarch who rules over the northern valleys. It is truly a beautiful land, according to my emissaries.”

“Perhaps. However being second in command behind a woman does not sit well with me.” Li Yuanji muttered.

“It will not sit well for any self respecting man!” Gaozu exclaimed. “However this is the way of life. I know my son. You are not satisfied. Perhaps a life in the hills and in the south will be better?”

Li Yuanji sighed. He tuned his father and his ramblings out as he thought about the proposal. The painting of the woman he was to marry was that of a beauty no doubt, and in that matter he was pleased. However his plan had been for Li Jiancheng to become the Crown Prince, and in return his elder brother would name him crown prince. But that idea and plan was in tatters now. Li Jiancheng would not become Crown Prince until hell froze over now. And his own support base, which was derived from Li Jiancheng’s own would now dwindle to levels never seen before in his life, and that was something Li Yuanji didn’t want to see. There was now little binding him here, and all that he had worked for was now in tatters because of his father. At least he was giving Li Yuanji an out.

Li Yuanji sighed and looked at his father. “Fine. I accept the offer.”

A few months later in Kāsthāmandāp, Nepālā

King Amshuverma looked at the emissary in front of him impassively before taking the letter present in the emissary’s hand. He took it and read through it, a smile passing through his lips as he read every line. He folded the letter and put it down before standing up making his court look at him with slight confused eyes as he looked at his attendant and said “Call my daughter Bhrikuti. It seems I have found a husband for her.”

1604118661784.png

A sculpture of Amshuverma.

ranjana.png

(1) - Nepal
(2) - Nepal Mandala.

Author's Note: Historically, Emperor Gaozu thought about naming Li shimin his successor in 621 itself, however the concubines who favored Li jiancheng changed his mind. ITTL this doesn't happen. Li Yuanji had been banking on Jiancheng being named crown prince so that when Jiancheng ascended the throne, he himself would become the crown prince. Historically, Li Yuanji was offered the hand of Bhrikuti Devi by Nepal and King Amshuverma, however with Li Yuanji's ambition for the throne that didn't happen otl. ITTL with the thrown decisively out of reach, and his power base about to die, Li Yuanji takes the offer. And history changes.

1. Medieval Nepal - Vol. 1,2&3
by D.R. Regmi.

2. The Life and Contribution of the Nepalese Princess Bhrikuti Devi to Tibetan History
by Minbahadur Sakya

3. China’s Cosmopolitan Empire: The Tang Dynasty (History of Imperial China)
by Mark Edward Lewis

4. China's Golden Age: Everyday Life in the Tang Dynasty
by Charles Benn

5. The Tang Annals

6. A History of Assam by Edward Albert Gait

Last edited:
After writing so many unfinished TLs on my ethnicity, I've decided to make my own final timeline on it. The style is obviously heavily inspired by @Pralaya's carolingian tl and @Shahrasayr's saman and gatha tl.

After writing so many unfinished TLs on my ethnicity, I've decided to make my own final timeline on it. The style is obviously heavily inspired by @Pralaya's carolingian tl and @Shahrasayr's saman and gatha tl.

It's very flattering haha. I'm interested in seeing where things go fr here, I definitely think the medieval era plays right into the more heroic and larger-than-life characters in your TLs.

It's very flattering haha. I'm interested in seeing where things go fr here, I definitely think the medieval era plays right into the more heroic and larger-than-life characters in your TLs.
Kinda of yeah. Plus there aren't many TLs set in the medieval era in Asia so i decided to give it a shot!

This is fascinating stuff you made, Sarthaka. Let alone set in Imperial China during medieval-era. I don't think many people would come up with it brilliantly as you. So, it's good.

What drove you to make this TL if you don't mind me asking?

This is fascinating stuff you made, Sarthaka. Let alone set in Imperial China during medieval-era. I don't think many people would come up with it brilliantly as you. So, it's good.
Hm, Imperial China is a secondary focus in this tl even though it starts in China.
What drove you to make this TL if you don't mind me asking?
i would say Medieval Nepal - Vol. 1,2&3 by D.R. Regmi. inspired me to write this

As someone who's doing a bachelor's degree in East Asian Studies and currently taking a pre-modern history of Asia class, consider me interested ^^

Yet another one... You really can't stick to a single story, can you? Well, I'm in, if only because I'm of Chinese descent and would like to see how this effects the Middle Kingdom. Is this going to be predominantly about Nepal or the Chinese?

Yet another one... You really can't stick to a single story, can you? Well, I'm in, if only because I'm of Chinese descent and would like to see how this effects the Middle Kingdom. Is this going to be predominantly about Nepal or the Chinese?
i would say 60% Nepal, 40% China. And of course the butterflies.

As Tan Zong Wei stated you can’t stick to one story, can you?

Still gonna watch and read, based on the quality of your other stories