Boldly Going: A History of an American Space Station

What an update! The art team outdid themselves with those quality images, to say nothing of the writing.
I was clearly thinking of solid boosters when I wrote those John Henry verses, I wasn't expecting the liquid boosters to have five nozzles each!
Thirteen up, thirteen down, John Henry was indeed built to lift the sky!
Here's looking forward to seeing what Paul Bunyan can do!

OH MAN... like half a hour ago I decided for my coffee break to read the two threadmarked posts, and to my surprise when I saw there was a new post, I nearly spat out my coffee! Really great read as always

Next, the crew connected the tank to the vehicle’s nitrogen supply, and flooded it with the main portions of a breathable atmosphere. Another few hours allowed the tank to reach thermal equilibrium again, and then oxygen was added to bring the breathing gas mixture inside the tank to sea level equivalent composition. When the tank reached habitable conditions, the STS-100-C crew opened the tank access vestibule, removed insulation panels, and then accessed the tank itself--all told, consuming almost a day from the first venting of the tank.
Still wondering, why not start with a low-pressure nitrogen inflation, giving crew facemasks and pure low pressure oxygen to breathe, thus guaranteeing no risk of fire or dust inhalation during the messier initial stages--any overlooked leaks would probably be readily detected at low pressure, and after cleaning up as best possible with vacuum filter wands and static electric paddles and so forth, finish the job by venting the first partial nitrogen load, flushing sticky corners with nitrogen gas jets, and only then refill with proper sea level pressure nitro-oxygen mix.

Obviously, for the work crews to take advantage of the low pressure work environment they'd have to be depressurized themselves first to leach out the excess blood nitrogen gradually, which is a major strike against this procedure I suppose. I can imagine from the description that none of the sawing or drilling that was required to fit the Enterprise ET LOX tank out might be required, that all removed elements had been fastened down with removable bolts or the like so the dust issues don't arise, nor is there risk of fire being ignited so there is no reason not to start with full shirtsleeves SL pressure atmosphere.

You do have to remember that this is meant for assembly on the Moon, so every kilogram is particularly precious compared to Earth orbit. Wasting even the relatively small amount of nitrogen needed for a partial pressurization and purge definitely cuts into your payload margins.

Still wondering, why not start with a low-pressure nitrogen inflation, giving crew facemasks and pure low pressure oxygen to breathe, thus guaranteeing no risk of fire or dust inhalation during the messier initial stages--any overlooked leaks would probably be readily detected at low pressure, and after cleaning up as best possible with vacuum filter wands and static electric paddles and so forth, finish the job by venting the first partial nitrogen load, flushing sticky corners with nitrogen gas jets, and only then refill with proper sea level pressure nitro-oxygen mix.

Obviously, for the work crews to take advantage of the low pressure work environment they'd have to be depressurized themselves first to leach out the excess blood nitrogen gradually, which is a major strike against this procedure I suppose. I can imagine from the description that none of the sawing or drilling that was required to fit the Enterprise ET LOX tank out might be required, that all removed elements had been fastened down with removable bolts or the like so the dust issues don't arise, nor is there risk of fire being ignited so there is no reason not to start with full shirtsleeves SL pressure atmosphere.
For that we're going off the original Habitank reports. The tanks were designed, unlike Enterprise, for conversion from day one so saws and such shouldn't be necessary. (Figure 33 in the report shows what might be either a saw or a drill, but the text refers to "disassemble the removable sections" which to me sounds like a drill removing bolts or detaching captive fasteners.) Meanwhile, hydrogen is pretty mobile, so apparently most of the residuals should boil off to vacuum if given the chance and a little time, leaving the initial nitrogen fill pretty clean. Almost no hydrogen, and little in the way of dust or debris, so I think the logic as you allude to was that they found no need to waste an extra 30-50 kg of nitrogen per tank for purging and refilling (not to mention the time involved).

It's possible somebody doing pressure tank conversion for real might know better with more study, like Nanoracks has proposed with Centaur, but all I have are publicly available historical reports on Habitank.

My only concern is with using a nitrogen atmosphere at all on the Moon--seems that, given the premium of wanting to conduct as many EVAs as possible in the 14 day light period (or less, if one is concerned about surface temperatures), that pre-breathing would be a waste of time. Pure oxygen at low pressure, or maybe heliox, might be preferred for lunar hardware. Then again, if a long-term outpost is in the cards, may as well bite the N2 bullet, right?

Then again, if a long-term outpost is in the cards, may as well bite the N2 bullet, right?
Well, that's definitely a factor. The other factor is that the Kepler capsule was designed to be used with a sea level atmosphere due to its initial design as a rescue capsule for Enterprise, and it would probably take a considerable (expensive) redesign to allow it to operate with an Apollo-type atmosphere. Obviously the structure would be fine, but you would need to seriously rethink the electronics cooling arrangements and probably the fire suppression equipment as well. It's probably safer and simpler to just go ahead with the sea-level atmosphere.

More generally, I'm not sure that NASA ever really seriously considered going back to an Apollo-style atmosphere once the Shuttle program started going. From what I recall (and I may be wrong or just have missed something), their solution for the pre-breathe problem was to try to build high-pressure EVA suits that could be used from sea-level without pre-breathe, not dropping the cabin pressure to eliminate the pre-breathe requirement with a regular low-pressure suit.

My only concern is with using a nitrogen atmosphere at all on the Moon--seems that, given the premium of wanting to conduct as many EVAs as possible in the 14 day light period (or less, if one is concerned about surface temperatures), that pre-breathing would be a waste of time. Pure oxygen at low pressure, or maybe heliox, might be preferred for lunar hardware. Then again, if a long-term outpost is in the cards, may as well bite the N2 bullet, right?

Well, that's definitely a factor. The other factor is that the Kepler capsule was designed to be used with a sea level atmosphere due to its initial design as a rescue capsule for Enterprise, and it would probably take a considerable (expensive) redesign to allow it to operate with an Apollo-type atmosphere. Obviously the structure would be fine, but you would need to seriously rethink the electronics cooling arrangements and probably the fire suppression equipment as well. It's probably safer and simpler to just go ahead with the sea-level atmosphere.

More generally, I'm not sure that NASA ever really seriously considered going back to an Apollo-style atmosphere once the Shuttle program started going. From what I recall (and I may be wrong or just have missed something), their solution for the pre-breathe problem was to try to build high-pressure EVA suits that could be used from sea-level without pre-breathe, not dropping the cabin pressure to eliminate the pre-breathe requirement with a regular low-pressure suit.
Well, the Kepler doesn't come to the surface. I've heard some rumors NASA may be taking a rather novel path IOTL with Artemis of calling for a Skylab-style intermediate pressure mixed-gas atmosphere during lunar operations, stepped down from sea level. You get the reduced modifications and lower flammability of mixed gas high-pressure, but reduce or eliminate pre-breath for EVA. We didn't go with that here in part because I don't have a publicly available document confirming/explaining that. There's this paper, which explains something of the general concept of an intermediate pressure "exploration atmosphere", but confirmation of its use or specific implementation details don't seem to be in any of the publicly released RFQ documents I'd been able to get ahold of. We'll have to see.

Another wonderful post and fantastic art :)

Was TransHab still axed in TTL?
Oh and as I'm reading the original reports atm, I'll make a note that you misspelled "Habitank" :) I was curious as I read the post as to why they didn't follow the 'standard' of the time and spell it "HabiTank" (because you capitalize the first letter of each word for some reason.. guessing it looks cool, actually I know it does considering how much I've seen and used it myself :) ) and lo and behold they do so ... :)

And seriously if that is the ONLY thing that I've found to quibble about...

Randy

From memory, TransHab was axed by Congress, and any future development of it was barred. A lot of people seem to regard it as somewhat fishy given that it was a pretty minor thing to go all-out on.

"Senator" Rohrabacher went after TransHab quite vehemently, and yes it was VERY suspicious at the time given the size of the program. He insinuated that it was an 'end-run' on Congress to try and get a Mars mission, (meanwhile proclaiming the benefits of Space Solar Power no less) and despite positive public hearings and expert testimony he led the charge to get it axed. From what I've read this was so Boeing could be clear to grab the expected contract for an ISS "habitation" module, (oddly enough the last 'nail' was an expert report showing that a Boeing aluminum habitation module would cost exactly the same as a TransHab habitation module without addressing things like launch costs and outfitting costs which would have made TransHab look better, Boeing wrote the report :) ) and Rohrabacher was the one who inserted the specifics on purging the work and locking the findings away.

Luckily Bigelow got a lot of the work and some of the researchers as well as NASA noting that those requirements were actually illegal for them to do given how their information system works meant that a lot of the development research and findings still managed to remain public. The decision was made to not have a dedicated 'habitation' module so Boeing only built the main ISS modules for the US but TransHab was never picked back up.

Part of the reason I asked about TransHab is given that TTL has some support for BEO operations, (unlike OTL) that takes away a bit of a 'major' justification that Rohrabacher used to under-cut TransHab and more importantly Boeing isn't looking to sole-source modules since SSE isn't necessarily going to use as many as the ISS would.

(NSF background thread: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34018.0;all)
Essentially TransHab 'survived' to 2000 but 'research' was still authorized but the cost overruns on the ISS is essentially what allowed it to be killed.

Randy

Last edited:
Was TransHab still axed in TTL?
Inflatables are going to be in a weird position here. They will have functionally reached the same level of actual development in ITTL by 1989 as they did in OTL in 2006 (that is to say, on-orbit flight hardware). The flip side to this is that NASA is going to be well aware of the issues with on-orbit outfitting (experience with the LOX tank), and has a launch vehicle with a fairing that is slightly greater than eight meters in diameter. Based on this, I expect that drylabs, possibly built out of tank structures (ET or EDS or LRB derived) would be more likely in the longer term over inflatables.

I'd also note that there is no need for the large inflatable habitat on Space Station Enterprise as the converted LOX tank has a volume more in line with the BA550 than the BA330. Thus, for now, they probably stay a curiosity.

For Space Station Enterprise herself, NASA still has the hydrogen tank sitting there, as of yet unused...

Inflatables are going to be in a weird position here. They will have functionally reached the same level of actual development in ITTL by 1989 as they did in OTL in 2006 (that is to say, on-orbit flight hardware). The flip side to this is that NASA is going to be well aware of the issues with on-orbit outfitting (experience with the LOX tank), and has a launch vehicle with a fairing that is slightly greater than eight meters in diameter. Based on this, I expect that drylabs, possibly built out of tank structures (ET or EDS or LRB derived) would be more likely in the longer term over inflatables.

I'd also note that there is no need for the large inflatable habitat on Space Station Enterprise as the converted LOX tank has a volume more in line with the BA550 than the BA330. Thus, for now, they probably stay a curiosity.

For Space Station Enterprise herself, NASA still has the hydrogen tank sitting there, as of yet unused...

Interesting but as you say, weird :)

The experience with the Enterprise ET LOX tank and now the HabiTank on the LSAM I'm thinking will drive some effort to "re-purpose" and/or "dual-use" many of the 'expendable' structures even if, (as shown with HabiTank) that reduces the 'main' utility of the structure somewhat as that in turn provides long-term benefits*. In addition to the advancement of the various "inflatable" structures and materials I'd keep in mind that things like the OTL "TransHab" material was also researched for the purposes of adding additional "armor" to standard aluminum hulled modules for radiation and debris protection. (It might offer some incentive to save some of the previous Goodyear work on the advanced "air-mat" materials from the mid-60s which OTL is pretty much gone by the early 2000's) The "air-beam" inflated Lunar Shelter concept comes to mind as a use as well and inflatable technology has a bunch of utility for interior work as well.

Ya the LH2 tank on Enterprise is going to take a LOT of thinking and work to utilize but as note it IS there and that's 2/3rds of the battle for many concepts :)

*= The tyranny of the rocket equation means "every ounce counts" but an often overlooked metric of this is that HOW those "ounces" count can often be more important than the strict 'performance' metric might imply. "Expendable" might broaden enough to encompass meaning that once one "use" is done another can open up.

Randy

We didn't go with that here in part because I don't have a publicly available document confirming/explaining that. There's this paper, which explains something of the general concept of an intermediate pressure "exploration atmosphere", but confirmation of its use or specific implementation details don't seem to be in any of the publicly released RFQ documents I'd been able to get ahold of. We'll have to see.
The abstract suggests 100 percent of the thinking is about lower pressure nitrogen-oxygen mixes transitioning to pure low pressure oxygen.

What ever became of the idea of using an alternative neutral gas to replace nitrogen? Practically speaking the only substances I can think of that would qualify as biologically "neutral" would be noble gases. And of them, helium tends to lead the pack by far on almost every practical metric, mainly because helium is produced by radioactive decay and so accumulates in some natural gas deposits, and all the others (except radon, obviously not a candidate!) are overwhelmingly legacy traces from Earth's formation and found pretty much exclusively in the atmosphere, so obtaining argon or neon can only be obtained by fractional liquefaction of air, which makes them much more expensive than helium which itself is quite pricey. The only advantage of a heavier noble gas would be getting one with atomic mass close to 28 so mass density, sonic speeds and voice timbre are about the same as in natural sea level air. Oh, and it would be less leaky than helium though more so than nitrogen.

Clearly if we have an 80 percent helium or argon atmosphere, those noble gases would dissolve in blood and tissues just as nitrogen does, though in somewhat different concentrations I guess. And so a sudden pressure drop would run a similar risk of bubbles forming and thus decompression sickness. I believe the reason helium specifically is the go-to gas is not just a matter of price but also that precisely because one of helium's liabilities is that it is leaky, between being a small atom and one with essentially zero tendency to chemically interact, this is an asset in this case--you still give the astronauts involved the bends if you drop the pressure on them instantly, but gradual decompression can proceed faster than with nitrogen because the surplus helium quickly finds its way out of lung tissue and into the breathed mix, and the molecular concentration drops with less impediment in the blood. Perhaps argon or whatever (I haven't bothered to check the atomic masses of higher order noble gases nor do I remember which one is which in sequence) would have very little advantage over just sticking with nitrogen.

If so practically speaking I am talking about people breathing about 80 percent helium, 20 percent oxygen, more or less (the lighter molar mass of the helium might mean the optimum mix has somewhat different proportions I suppose) in molar terms at standard pressure, and higher percentages of oxygen at lower pressures. Their voices get all Mickey Mouse squeaky, food tastes weird, odors behave strangely, and the helium is gradually seeping out into space and must be renewed.

I expect that for very long term human habitation, complete substitution of nitrogen with helium would be bad for health, that actually while human biology doesn't make a lot of chemical use of atmospheric nitrogen directly, letting concentrations drop to zero and stay there will throw this and that process off over time. So a tri-gas mix would involve having quite a bit of nitrogen, only partially displaced by helium, if one proposed this for a very long term habitat.

OTOH it seems clear that people can operate for hours, indeed days and perhaps weeks or months, breathing oxy-helium with no nitrogen. I would not suggest a mixed tri-gas then.

As for why SSE and the OTL Orbiter program and thus modern OTL ISS, along with the entire Soviet/Russian crewed space program from Vostok on, rely on sea level nitrogen-oxygen mix, that seemed obvious enough once I thought through the first posts. Americans could get away with pure oxygen atmosphere low pressure capsules (usually, barring the Apollo 1 tragedy) because the craft were disposable. With Orbiter intended to return to Earth and be launched again, not by accident our launch sites are at sea level, and anyway a Shuttle might be diverted to an emergency field, some at high altitude--most near sea level. And then it gets launched from sea level. It made sense for the vehicle to be designed around SL pressures, and sustain them rather than having relative pressures fluctuate.

But to prepare for EVA, especially once we have such a spacious structure as SS Enterprise, what if instead of either setting aside a small section the prebreathing crews need to "camp out" in for a very long time, they adopted oxy-helium mix masks and continued to be free to move around most of the station, having a transition chamber with the air being gradually changed in it matched to their general measured or estimated degree of transition where they could remove masks to eat or just get a rest from the things, and then shift over to lowering the pressure and raising the oxygen percentage more rapidly, spending a lot less time confined in this? And I suspect there is a pressure intermediate between 100 percent oxygen partial pressure and standard SL 100 kPascal pressure, where a moderate amount of helium reduces fire risk considerably versus pure low pressure oxygen, and yet a sudden drop from that to the lower pure oxygen pressure would not risk decompression sickness--either that, or anyway this drop could proceed a lot more quickly than with nitrogen being the neutral element.

I do realize that until we are talking about a huge "Space Station V" or bigger structure with lots of industrial infrastructure, we can't just adjust air mixes at will, reversibly back and forth; to even approximate that without shipping up massive amounts of disposable gases we'd need to separate gases which I think we can only do with compression-cooling-liquefaction. (Well, we could chemically absorb oxygen in various ways, but the real prize here is separating nitrogen and helium--which we could do by liquefaction, first the oxygen (after water vapor and CO2 traces I mean) would condense out, then the nitrogen; what is left is practically pure helium).

Anyway this is something I thought we could do with the hydrogen tank--using inflatable structures, wall off the tail end of the ET, where we have a built in standard inspection hatch. One segment, immediately adjoining the oxy-nitrogen pressurized volume in the hydrogen tank (if any) has nearly pure oxy-helium at standard pressure (or as much below SL standard as we can suddenly have a nitrogen-saturated crew member pop into through a simple airlock without risk of decompression sickness, the lower the pressure the better) where EVA crew and techs supporting them are able to gradually outgas their nitrogen saturation without thereby having to transition straight to pure oxygen. Crew would not have to enter and leave a transitional pressure change chamber in batches; individuals pop in and either with direct metering of their blood chemistry ongoing or periodic, or using timers based on medical time tables, know about when it would become safe for them to suit up to enter a low pressure pure oxygen only section. We clearly would want to minimize the number of items and tasks to be performed in this chamber; I gather that fire risk is only moderately greater than in sea level air mix, but a risk remains, nor would crew want to hang out here unnecessarily, so this chamber could in fact be an airlock, or an antechamber to an inflatable airlock attached to the outside of the inspection hatch. At a low enough pressure helium-oxygen mix I would think it could be safe to just suit up, switch to breathing pure oxygen in the suit, and drop the pressure pretty rapidly--for a crew member whose blood nitrogen is largely gone and replaced by helium anyway; someone else who came in just before and tried the same trick would suffer badly for it. EVA crew returning to the station can actually come in anywhere (where an airlock exists of course) and pressurize direct to SL pressure and nitrogen mix; this would not be pleasant for them but not I think medically dangerous, so emergency entry airlocks can be spotted all over the exterior for quick ingress. But it is dangerous to go out without being prepared.

So what if we only have this one EVA prep hangar-cabin in the hydrogen tank, but the EVA work should be done at the nose end of the station? Should we make the EVA teams spacewalk all the way from the tail end to the nose outside the hull?

I'd think it would work just as well to have them don a suit with a pure oxygen breathing feed, and go back out the lock leading to the main station atmosphere. It means they have to bump their internal suit pressurization up from the intermediate helium-oxygen EVA team shack standard to full SL pressure with pure oxygen (except for the traces of helium they are exhaling) and move through the station in their EVA suit (or alternatively a simpler internal use pressure suit, if we have a pure-oxygen atmosphere changing station such as the airlock itself for them to switch into a better suit for exterior work) to the more desirably close auxiliary airlock, and then carefully but I'd think fairly rapidly lower the pressure to the proper low pure oxygen pressure, and then vent the air in the airlock and exit. The reason this works is that the important thing is to get the nitrogen out of their fluids, and any levels of helium saturation which would bubble out. This is what the EVA operations shack is for, as noted crew just rotate in as needed and individually qualify for EVA when their blood is safe enough. Then they can exit anywhere, if they can keep the nitrogen out (it should work to wear a high full sea level pure oxygen mask proceeding in shirt sleeves through the main station atmosphere to a suitable EVA suit at any airlock; high pressure LOX might be harmful long term and poses a fire hazard but I suppose healthy astronauts can handle it transiting from one end of the station to the other), and as noted reentry into the station can be done anywhere. Though it would be most comfortable and safe to enter a low pressure pure oxygen lock and gradually have the nitrogen let in, or proceed from a low pressure oxygen atmosphere "back porch" to the oxy-helium "shack" and thence into full pressure nitrogen-oxygen station air.

Now I don't see any discussion of using helium either here or generally in modern astronautics I have noticed. Other things being equal we ought to just stick to oxy-nitrogen equivalent either to SL or some moderate altitude such as 3 km/10,000 feet, around 70-75 percent SL pressure. It is only if we have either concerns about sudden unexpected decompression or are planning EVAs that helium ought to come into play.

But aside from any advantages it offers to EVA and so on, helium is lighter than nitrogen; item cost has not mattered much to NASA operations; in fact I was under the impression until recently that prior to STS anyway NASA routinely used helium in the capsule atmospheres, though now my impression is more that the US standard prior to Skylab was pure oxygen at low pressure.

Perhaps there are drawbacks to helium that have eclipsed it, and by means such as indicated in the abstracted article we can accomplish pretty much what helium offers well enough with lower pressure nitrogen-oxygen mixes?

Aside from astronautics I was also under the impression deep sea diving uses oxy-helium mixes too; I have to wonder from the silence on the subject in space travel whether I was informed by materials written in the 1940s-early 70s and that later generations have been disillusioned or anyway less gung ho about helium solving the problems.

The experience with the Enterprise ET LOX tank and now the HabiTank on the LSAM I'm thinking will drive some effort to "re-purpose" and/or "dual-use" many of the 'expendable' structures even if, (as shown with HabiTank) that reduces the 'main' utility of the structure somewhat as that in turn provides long-term benefits*.

Which to my mind would be a terrible mistake, and an engineering dead end.

My jihad against wet workshops will never end. (But I am loving the timeline, @TimothyC !)

Clearly if we have an 80 percent helium or argon atmosphere, those noble gases would dissolve in blood and tissues just as nitrogen does
yes helium does slightly dissolve in blood but not that much under normal atmospheric pressures, a heliox mixture is used for deep dives, as deep as 300m (so a pressure of 30bar)
helium dissolves a lot less, nitrogen dissolves about 12 times the amount of He

and on lower pressure spacesuits, is the reasoning weight? i mean i would also think that the reason for having EVA spacesuits at low pressure is the fact that there will be a lower pressure differential.
a higher air pressure would make the suit more rigid en less flexible due to the higher pressure differential, so you would need to change the design to deal with that.

and on lower pressure spacesuits, is the reasoning weight? i mean i would also think that the reason for having EVA spacesuits at low pressure is the fact that there will be a lower pressure differential.
a higher air pressure would make the suit more rigid en less flexible due to the higher pressure differential, so you would need to change the design to deal with that.
Entirely a matter of making it easier to move. Hard suits seem to be the main line of attack in allowing high pressure suits, which Heinlein fans remember fondly from the juvenile novel "Have Spacesuit Will Travel." There, an interlocked bellows arrangement was supposed to permit "constant volume" joints which in theory if working perfectly would make the internal pressure level irrelevant. Actually the suit the protagonist Kip Russell wins in a contest (surplus disposed orbital space station rigger suit) used pressure differentials too--exhaust nozzles maintained a lower pressure below the neck than in the helmet via a perforated collar, which was meant to guarantee airflow from the helmet inlets, thus removing carbon dioxide but mainly to permit expansion cooling. But IIRC Kip as first person narrator explains that the lower pressure on the body would indeed ease movement somewhat presumably because the constant-volume joints were not perfect and had less friction at lower pressure. The design wasted air as coolant.

I am not aware of any real world space program whose space suits took operate the way Heinlein anticipated in his 1950s book.

Entirely a matter of making it easier to move. Hard suits seem to be the main line of attack in allowing high pressure suits, which Heinlein fans remember fondly from the juvenile novel "Have Spacesuit Will Travel." There, an interlocked bellows arrangement was supposed to permit "constant volume" joints which in theory if working perfectly would make the internal pressure level irrelevant. Actually the suit the protagonist Kip Russell wins in a contest (surplus disposed orbital space station rigger suit) used pressure differentials too--exhaust nozzles maintained a lower pressure below the neck than in the helmet via a perforated collar, which was meant to guarantee airflow from the helmet inlets, thus removing carbon dioxide but mainly to permit expansion cooling. But IIRC Kip as first person narrator explains that the lower pressure on the body would indeed ease movement somewhat presumably because the constant-volume joints were not perfect and had less friction at lower pressure. The design wasted air as coolant.

I am not aware of any real world space program whose space suits took operate the way Heinlein anticipated in his 1950s book.
i think the hard suits use rotating joints in current designs
some of them look like a serious Michelin copyright infringement though lol (Bibendum)