Boldly Going: A History of an American Space Station

Atlantis could also be docked at 180 degrees, which leaves the vertical stabilizer out in front of Enterprise's LOX tank, no where near anything.
That of course doesn't explain how you get from the Atlantis port which has to be inside it's bay to the ET port which is, presumably, as flush as possible with the ET to improve aerodynamics.

Hi everyone, really loving this timeline so far; there hasn't been an excellent space timeline for a while!
Anyway, I saw that you'd taken the Orbiter Derived Station concept from No Shortage of Dreams (it was excellent article), rather from the original study. If you would like, I could actually send you the pdf (which are from Chuck Yeager's papers for some reason)!

Hi everyone, really loving this timeline so far; there hasn't been an excellent space timeline for a while!
Anyway, I saw that you'd taken the Orbiter Derived Station concept from No Shortage of Dreams (it was excellent article), rather from the original study. If you would like, I could actually send you the pdf (which are from Chuck Yeager's papers for some reason)!
You mean the SSI "Shuttle Derived Space Station Freedom"? I think I've got a scan of at least one document on it, but I'd take another just to see if they're the same.

Yeah, that's the one!
I'm trying to attach it below, but the file size is too large; does AH.com allow for larger file to be shared somehow?

I'm guessing the authors of the reports suggesting the use of an orbitter were not popular with those wanting a large multi module power power tower/dual keel type station.

Ok, here you go! Hopefully this is different:
Thanks! We had a slide deck presenting some of that, but not all of it. A few interesting take-aways:

MOL8KXL453298M-7ROC-016_1991-09_F9-4-1.png

This image basically illustrates the same idea we had for moving the attachment point from the Leonardo Lab Module to the OV-101 main deck through the Xo 576 bulkhead to eliminate the need for the normal Spacelab "dogleg' passage. I'm glad to see real engineers considering this thought doing so was reasonable.

Also, on the OMS questions raised by @jsb and @JEF_300 , note that this document at least suggests replacing the main OMS engines and aft RCS with a mono-prop system using 4x 500 lbf engines replacing each 6000 lbf biprop AJ-10. This gives better redundancy and better matches thrust for long term orbital reboost. It's notable the report doesn't quite have the courage of its convictions: the images elsewhere in the document mostly show the normal OMS/RCS setup. If we'd had this earlier, we might have made the change but now with @nixonshead 's renders and the timeline already posting we're not going to. There's enough to argue the flight-proven nature of the existing OMS/RCS setup.

MOL8KXL453298M-7ROC-016_1991-09_F3-1-1.png

There's some other crazy stuff in that report if you read it, like removing the forward RCS and adding a nose-mounted docking port and another in the belly for growth that way. That's some interesting off-the-wall stuff, but not useful for this timeline.

Oh definitely, I assumed that; but that still leaves plenty of opportunity for things to bump into one another. On Mir, the Mir docking module provided the clearance, and on ISS, the zenith PMA docking module (where Crew Dragon is now docked) did the same.

Docking_Module_%28STS-74%29.jpg

The Mir Docking Module, ready to be docked to Mir's Kristall module.

Atlantis could also be docked at 180 degrees, which leaves the vertical stabilizer out in front of Enterprise's LOX tank, no where near anything.
That of course doesn't explain how you get from the Atlantis port which has to be inside it's bay to the ET port which is, presumably, as flush as possible with the ET to improve aerodynamics.
It's not been shown yet, but Atlantis among other things carries up a similar Docking Module for Enterprise which provides the spacing you're asking about. it's a one-time thing, staying on station between flights. I realized it doesn't show up cleanly in any of the images from @nixonshead we're posting for a while, so here's a closeup from one of the development images. It's basically just a tube with an APAS on each end.

08_05_SSE-Docking-Adapter_s.png

It's not been shown yet, but Atlantis among other things carries up a similar Docking Module for Enterprise which provides the spacing you're asking about. it's a one-time thing, staying on station between flights. I realized it doesn't show up cleanly in any of the images from @nixonshead we're posting for a while, so here's a closeup from one of the development images. It's basically just a tube with an APAS on each end.

08_05_SSE-Docking-Adapter_s.png

Ah. Thanks. Perfect!

Also, on the OMS questions raised by @jsb and @JEF_300 , note that this document at least suggests replacing the main OMS engines and aft RCS with a mono-prop system using 4x 500 lbf engines replacing each 6000 lbf biprop AJ-10. This gives better redundancy and better matches thrust for long term orbital reboost. It's notable the report doesn't quite have the courage of its convictions: the images elsewhere in the document mostly show the normal OMS/RCS setup. If we'd had this earlier, we might have made the change but now with @nixonshead 's renders and the timeline already posting we're not going to. There's enough to argue the flight-proven nature of the existing OMS/RCS setup.
Your approach certainly fits the premise of minimal adaptions for launch as soon as damn possible with also minimal cost of development.

How reasonable would it be to go the other way, and retaining the established main OMS at 6000 versus 500 lbs force (not clear to me if that is per nozzle or overall, but either way we have a factor of 12 higher thrust with the established system) develop dual pipelines, either under high pressure at the core using one central pressurization for main engines and reaction control, or low pressure transmission and some sort of pumped high pressurization at the RC engines, for them to use the same hypergolic bipropellant the OMS main engines use?

This either saves mass for the separate RCS monopropellant tanks and pressurization system, or simply allows larger tankage for the main tanks. I would think that at whatever pressure it is optimal for the small RC thrusters to operate at, using bipropellant hypergol would be as precisely controllable (one has to have dual valves of course, but they can be mechanically yoked together, unless it is desirable to vary the ratios) while more mass efficient. Dual prop hypergol is going to be substantially higher Isp even at modest chamber pressures, and will combust smoothly and reliably at very low throttle settings when firing into vacuum, and with higher Isp the mass flow for a given impulse is significantly lower, whereas one single tank system, of propellants and pressurizing helium, will be easier to design to replenish periodically, and a larger tank set can go longer between refills.

Of course the drawbacks are having to redesign and reinstall dual propellant lines in place of the single lines installed, and needing to design a suitable thrust small bipropellant engine if none happens to be sitting on the shelf in the right range with the right degree of throttling built in. And you know what a bug I am against hypergolics as a general thing (but especially for bulk launch to orbit applications as with Titan II, but thank God that is not in prospect here though it might be for proposals for cheaper methods of replenishment of supplies and possibly crew transfers than Orbiter launches) for various reasons.

I would think most of the OTL monopropellant lines ran through what would be vacuum in OTL Orbiter anyway, whereas I am guessing "monopropellant" means hydrazine anyway, so there is one of those toxic culprits right in the standard Shuttle design. And to my knowledge of all the problems OTL Orbiters had, hydrazine leaks contaminating anything or otherwise doing damage were never among them, versus say the incident wherein the reentering Apollo-Soyuz CM ingested hypergolic attitude control propellants into cabin air in 1975. The whole mess of hypergolics on Orbiter was all aft of the payload bay I suppose though surely there was matching monoprop hydrazine in the nose units, which I guess was all installed outside the pressure shell.

Given that your more conservative design did not consider stuff like removing the standard nose installations, presumably so that reaction control during ascent and maneuvering to parking orbit would proceed with standard control methods, what becomes of that cluster of thrusters once Station Enterprise is fully deployed and operational? I guess it is retained to provide the standard control thrusts just as during launch, which means over months and years the hydrazine and pressurant in the forward module has to have provision to be topped off periodically, as does the standard monoprop tank set(s) in the rear modules. The alternative would be to design and add in some kind of feed lines to top off all five of the fluids--acidic oxidant and hydrazine-variant fuel for the main OMS engines in back, monoprop I presume hydrazine-variant for the sets in back and in front, and pressurant, presumably helium, that might have to be at different highest pressures to refill the separate OMS and RCS tanks. Such a five-line bus (four, if perhaps the RCS and OMS have the same maximum helium pressure) might amount to a lot of weight, but the alternative is resupply having to contact a great many shorter separate lines at both ends.

If a single refuel port for all is preferred, I think that's an argument for consolidating to one system or the other, which would reduce the feed lines to three sets anyway. Of course then we'd need operational pairs of oxidant and fuel lines to the nose RCS complex, or expect to someday soon exhaust this if a standard monoprop system with no orbital refill developed.
---------
Something else I wondered--the narrative remarks on how crucial it is to get the Enterprise's solar panels fully deployed to start generating the higher power draw than an Orbiter normally required, meanwhile having to draw on the visiting Orbiter for spare power. And as OTL with Skylab, if there had been any trouble deploying the limited single panel putting the parked assembly on life support maintenance wattage, the whole station would be in deep trouble.

Now I certainly noticed that early on it was decided to replace Enterprise's main power source as designed, the hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells, with solar panels buffered with batteries, and relying on that long term was sensible. It was remarked that the fuel cells had limited service life before needing to be replaced, not a problem with Orbiter ops but a big one with Station Enterprise which cannot be brought to the surface for refurbishment.

But meanwhile we had the usual hand-wringing about "OMG, how shall we purge the hydrogen fuel tank so we can safely inflate it with breathable air!" If the propellant were hypergolic you know I'd be up on the ceiling clinging with my claws in terror about even slight molar contamination; if it were hydrocarbon, even as simple a molecule as methane, let alone carcinogenic benzene-laced typical kerosene type fuel, I'd worry a lot too.

But it's hydrogen! I've always wondered how overblown such fears are with clean hydrogen, when one can simply open a path from the tank to vacuum. Sure, the last partial traces of hydrogen might take days or weeks to zigzag their drunkard's walk individual molecule ballistic trajectory way to the aperture and thus bouncing along through the vent to open space--but by then we have tiny masses of hydrogen, and if we introduce oxygen most of it will by and by reach thermal chemical equilibrium as water molecules, and meanwhile traces of pure hydrogen are pretty harmless biochemically speaking.

But wait! We have a situation where upon reaching parking orbit, we have propellant residuals in both the LOX and LH tanks, which taken by itself as a problem, we can solve by just opening up to vacuum and venting. (Although, another hassle with that simple solution is that we have very low but palpable cold gas thrusting going on, which would require us either to factor it in to final achievement of parking orbit, if we can vent the gases through the main engines and out the nozzles, or devise some sort of thrust neutral special venting mast or sets of them so that manifold pressure is guaranteed to produce overall neutral, cancelled out thrust). But looking ahead--we don't want to vent the LOX, or at least not all of it, we want to retain the right amount to serve as the partial pressure of oxygen desired in the shirtsleeves gas mix for colonizing the two tanks. What we want to do with it then is add nitrogen, unless SS Enterprise is designed to operate on a different gas mix than Orbiter, which I doubt. Meanwhile we certainly don't want to have trace hydrogen gas in the former LH tank to be sure, but behold--prior to the first crew docking and visit, we need standby power, and have one potential point of failure if that single solar panel does not deploy right.

So if we have substantial amounts of hydrogen in the LH2 tank, and substantial amounts of oxygen ullage in the LOX tank--what if we just kept the standard fuel cells, or a portion of them, and had an auxiliary feed line from the two ET big tanks to bleed gaseous (chilly, I imagine, but evaporated) oxygen and hydrogen to feed the cells? They would generate electricity, and their output "exhaust" would be pure liquid water, which the coming flight crews will be quite glad to have on hand. So now we might get away with not deploying any solar panels at all until there is a docked crew aboard and observing from the visiting Orbiter to supervise. Meanwhile we get the power needed from a fairly foolproof and largely standard setup--the only difference from standard Orbiter ops being that the reactants are trickling in from the main ET instead of auxiliary onboard LOX and LH2 tanks. We might still want the former installed as reserves for the operational crews, but we can omit the latter, which would be bulky and heavy "dry" far out of proportion to the low mass of hydrogen they would have contained. That's 2/3 the tank mass, roughly, if we omit just the LH tanks but leave the LOX in place. Though I imagine actually the Orbiters will carry the oxygen needed for each crewed sortie and we might not need reserve LOX tanks for breathing on Enterprise at all--suspenders and belt redundancy would suggest setting up a rack, brought up on an Orbiter visit, to mount just outside the standard Orbiter bay where a visiting resupply mission can swap it for a charged one and take the empties back to Earth, with a feed line down to the installed built in feed system in Enterprise.

Guessing that the vast ET is going to be filled with 2000 cubic meters of air that is say 2/3 nitrogen and 1/3 oxygen, at 70 percent of Earth sea level standard pressure, we'd have in the ballpark of 700-1000 kg of oxygen, so a single tonne of LOX residual ullage is sufficient, the rest is surplus. How high are tank-line residuals on MECO normally? I'm guessing more than a tonne of LOX! That's to fill both tanks. (We would also need another 2 tonnes or so of nitrogen, brought up I presume in liquid form in a modest portion of the payload of an Orbiter sortie).

At the rate the single life-support standby solar panel provides power on average, how long would it take to react all the oxygen beyond a single tonne remaining in the LOX tank? If there is say 2 tonnes of LOX left over after launch, we would require 1/8 tonne of hydrogen to produce 9/8 tonne of water. And of course if we leave all the fuel cells installed we can use power, and accumulate water, a lot faster than on standby, without having to tap into the visiting Orbiter. Suspenders and belt, we need the solar panels long term anyway, and we might as well deploy the single panel in advance, unless we would rather wait to make the first docking easier.

Once the first crew has come and deployed all the panels, we might find we have not used up all the excess oxygen and surely still have far more hydrogen than we could usefully dispose of, so both tanks would be vented to finish the job of preparation to enter the tanks. But once we've vented down the LOX tank so it contains only the tonne or less we want, we are almost good to go; if meanwhile we let the hydrogen tank drain to near vacuum, correcting any thrust that produces with our fully operational pair of Orbiter maneuvering systems, we can release the majority of the LOX into the hydrogen tank, even if there are still some hydrogen residuals, as long as the concentration of hydrogen would be below flammable limits. Now I know that that concentration is pretty low for hydrogen in oxygen, but it is finite, a matter of a few percents, and surely opening the hydrogen tank via built in fuel feed lines to vacuum will fall below those limits pretty soon. This despite the fact both gases will be cold initially.

If we remain nervous about operating with substantial traces of hydrogen, what about bringing along canisters of catalyst, like platinum foil, and blowing the mix through them? This will result in controlled combustion, heating up the array of catalyst and generating water vapor--which we certainly want in breathable air! Human respiration will by and by raise the humidity to risk being excessive for comfort and safety (we certainly don't want it dripping wet with mold accumulating!) so there must be some method of dehumidifying the air built in, but I don't think the sorts of traces we would have left in the hydrogen tank would come anywhere near this saturation humidity if catalyzed into water.

The slower we take it, the more we can use the built-in fuel cells. In operation, we can route some power toward heating the tanks so we don't need so much power later to raise them from around 200 to close to 300 K. We can warm nitrogen as it expands out of LN2 tanks. The more useful power we extract from the ullage the more potable water we retain too.

Depending on just how much inevitable tank residual mass there is, keeping the fuel cells on line we can perhaps provide far more power to Enterprise prior to the first dock overseeing the full solar panel deployment.

The downside is not saving the mass of the fuel cells for some other thing built in to Enterprise, but overall I think we come out pretty far ahead. We have high power available in the critical period before the first crewed Orbiter can dock and hook up its own power. Instead of venting mass that we perforce had to boost to transfer orbit, we gradually convert it into useful and easily stored water. This means slightly more mass the Enterprise OMS and RCS must nudge into stable parking orbit and thus more propellant used up that way but presumably there is a plan to periodically replace it, whereas most of the residual mass, or anyway much of the LOX that makes up the lion's share of that, is needed to inflate the tank volume later, and venting the excess prior to final orbital insertion would involve as noted disturbing cold gas venting thrusts that need to be compensated to avoid messing up that trajectory anyway. The fuel cells are generally useless once we get to the phase of making the tank mixes breathable, since then we must get rid of any remaining hydrogen (down to acceptable traces). But they are therefore not going to undergo any more wear and tear toward end of useful life, unless they deteriorate when not used somehow, and therefore we have a reserve source of surge power should we decide some future mission requires it, which we can tap by sending up some hydrogen and extra oxygen and connecting these tanks then.

It has been a long time since Archibald, now banned, had his "Save Columbia!" thread, but IIRC the fuel cells are not terribly massive, and we can as noted anyway remove the onboard reactant tanks for that mass saving if we don't intend to use the standard installation of LOX tanks to maintain oxygen levels in Enterprise, and certainly we can omit the hydrogen tanks. I doubt feeds that can deliver the maximum intake the complete standard cell array can take from the ET would be very massive. Overall, how much mass are we talking about saving useful for some other component vitally useful during the initial setup phase of the deployment, by removing the fuel cells?

Your approach certainly fits the premise of minimal adaptions for launch as soon as damn possible with also minimal cost of development.

How reasonable would it be to go the other way, and retaining the established main OMS at 6000 versus 500 lbs force (not clear to me if that is per nozzle or overall, but either way we have a factor of 12 higher thrust with the established system) develop dual pipelines, either under high pressure at the core using one central pressurization for main engines and reaction control, or low pressure transmission and some sort of pumped high pressurization at the RC engines, for them to use the same hypergolic bipropellant the OMS main engines use?
Hey, @Shevek23, welcome to the thread! Not only is this feasible, but it's how the actual Shuttle RCS/OMS worked. To clarify the situation a bit:

The existing Shuttle system historically was biprop rockets both for the OMS and for the RCS. You can see a diagram here: https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-deeaee7cfa35129fc98dab970337f84e.webp , and a full writeup by NASA here: https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/rcs/overview.html
The forward thruster RCS drew from one set of tanks, the aft set from another, and the OMS from a third (larger) set.

The report we got recently from @Expansive shows an idea for replacing this entire system, switching to monopropellant for both RCS and OMS, and in the process replacing the OMS engines with 4 smaller engines apiece (1 x 6,000 lbf OMS engine in each pod being replaced by 4 x 500 lbf in each pod). They'd just delete the forward RCS entirely. The new RCS thrusters would also be smaller than the original units, with the idea of relying on gyroscopes for most of the positioning that Shuttle did on RCS. They propose to just use the remaining tiny engines very minimally when the control moment gyroscopes are "saturated" or for reboost control.

What some other Shuttle studies called for, and what we'd originally gone with and are sticking with, was to retain the existing biprop RCS and OMS engines and tanks, but to add a new forward-to-aft tank interconnect, allowing the forward and aft tanks to be equalized, refilled together, and to allow the aft engines to run off the forward tanks if required (and vice-versa). This allows using the large primary RCS jets (870 lbf apiece) for reboost as well as gyro desaturation (if you look here, you can see the gryos living inide the cylinders on top of the spacelab pallet). The OMS engines will probably just go unused after launch except for very large reboost. Of course, like ISS, whenever possible reboost will be handle by the visiting Shuttle's RCS, which has the advantage of heading home for servicing afterward, and not point starts or "minutes" on the clock of the station's thrusters.

I hope this helps with the thruster questions! As you'll see, we're basically already doing much of what you were thinking about. Apologies for any confusion we may have caused with the new paper.

Something else I wondered--the narrative remarks on how crucial it is to get the Enterprise's solar panels fully deployed to start generating the higher power draw than an Orbiter normally required, meanwhile having to draw on the visiting Orbiter for spare power. And as OTL with Skylab, if there had been any trouble deploying the limited single panel putting the parked assembly on life support maintenance wattage, the whole station would be in deep trouble.
Technically we exaggerated the criticality of the keep-alive deploy: they have two chances. If you look at the way the solar arrays are set up, the station can deploy either the port starboard zenith array. If there were an issue, the station computers could simply make an attempt to deploy the other side's array, and only then would they really be on the clock for getting a crew to station. There's a petty big jump between the "keep-alive" needs and the crew-support needs, so if STS-38R had failed to fully deploy the station's arrays, they could have left it in "keep-alive" mode indefinitely with the crew-support systems and experiments powered off again, and the next mission could have come back with more elaborate fixes. In part, this is @nixonshead's contribution, as his final design with this (small but critical) redundancy in keep-alive deployment attempts is different from our original idea and significantly less complex.

The concept of "propellant scavenging"--harvesting the residual hydrogen and oxygen from the Shuttle ET for various orbital ruese purposes-- was pretty extensively studied by NASA IOTL. Purposes could have included filling a Centaur or refilling hydrolox OTV depot from the ET residuals, turning Shuttle into a tanker or allowing Centaur deployment without the risk of a fueled Centaur in the bay during launch. The issue with doing it here for Space Station Enterprise, aside from the "dead weight" of the fuel cells after the residuals are depleted and the lack of need, is that they figured it was about a six year program to go from approval to first flight. Doing it for the First time on Enterprise and making it the primary path is a bridge too far for even pre-Discovery NASA ITTL when they can just rely on proven batteries and solar arrays.

Interesting. It really would be that simple--unlike the Apollo-Soyuz docking module, it won't have to deal with a pressure differential. But maybe (if someone forsees the need during the design process) the thing can also double as a spare airlock? Having a lock on the far side could be convenient for some EVAs to mount remote-sensing equipment or other stuff on the far side.

EDIT: Might be unnecessary, ultimately--if there is a Shuttle docked, one can always just use the Orbiter airlock.

Last edited:
I hope this helps with the thruster questions! As you'll see, we're basically already doing much of what you were thinking about. Apologies for any confusion we may have caused with the new paper.
@Shevek23, one thing I'd like to add is that there was significant work toward storable propellant transfer in space being done in OTL, and the main EVA task of STS-41-G was use of the 'Orbital Refueling System' test rig, where Astronauts Sullivan and Leestma worked to connect a series of spherical tanks and transfer hydrazine between them:

7463h.jpg

While working with hydrazine on orbit was considered somewhat hazardous, astronauts working with the systems at Space Station Enterprise will have one advantage. With the systems to connect the Enterprise fuel systems outside of the pressurized volumes, there is a need to go on EVA to connect Enterprise to the visiting orbiter (these connections will be adjacent to the docking complex). While this does dictate at least one EVA per mission, the astronauts conducting this EVA will be given the most precious of all tasks - nothing at all. Before entry, the astronauts will be tasked with spending about half of an orbit doing nothing but being in a slow barbecue roll to let the heat from the sunlight cook off any hydrazine and/or NTO that is spilled into the outside of their suits. 45 minutes of staring at the Earth and space.

The concept of "propellant scavenging"--harvesting the residual hydrogen and oxygen from the Shuttle ET for various orbital ruese purposes-- was pretty extensively studied by NASA IOTL. Purposes could have included filling a Centaur or refilling hydrolox OTV depot from the ET residuals, turning Shuttle into a tanker or allowing Centaur deployment without the risk of a fueled Centaur in the bay during launch. The issue with doing it here for Space Station Enterprise, aside from the "dead weight" of the fuel cells after the residuals are depleted and the lack of need, is that they figured it was about a six year program to go from approval to first flight. Doing it for the First time on Enterprise and making it the primary path is a bridge too far for even pre-Discovery NASA ITTL when they can just rely on proven batteries and solar arrays.

The prop scavenging papers can be found on NTRS in a set of three papers: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19850011690 , https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19850011691 , & https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19850011692. The study work included both hydrolox and storable prop work.

Edit: I'd also note that the Forward RCS Interconnect System would have used the same lines that were baselined for prop transfer to docking adapter for Space Station Freedom, and later the US propulsion module on ISS in OTL.

Interesting. It really would be that simple--unlike the Apollo-Soyuz docking module, it won't have to deal with a pressure differential. But maybe (if someone forsees the need during the design process) the thing can also double as a spare airlock? Having a lock on the far side could be convenient for some EVAs to mount remote-sensing equipment or other stuff on the far side.

EDIT: Might be unnecessary, ultimately--if there is a Shuttle docked, one can always just use the Orbiter airlock.

We've penciled in that there is actually going to be a second adapter in storage at the Cape as a part of the program's Launch-On-Need capability. While originally built for the station (never order just one because if it breaks then you have none), it is retained so that crew can transfer between orbiters without having to go on EVA. We expect that once a month or so some intern is going to have to go and pressure-test it for leaks.

Last edited:
Hmm. Lots of questions over the propellant, but I'm wondering about future-proofing. The ISS has less than half the space of the ET, and is relatively cavernous with only six people aboard. Did Marshall make adequate preparation for adding on more solar panels and heat radiators? That's necessary to add more occupants/experiments; without it, that extra space is going to be used for nothing but atheletics.

The concept of "propellant scavenging"--harvesting the residual hydrogen and oxygen from the Shuttle ET for various orbital ruese purposes-- was pretty extensively studied by NASA IOTL. Purposes could have included filling a Centaur or refilling hydrolox OTV depot from the ET residuals, turning Shuttle into a tanker or allowing Centaur deployment without the risk of a fueled Centaur in the bay during launch.
But I wasn't proposing any of those, all of which involve storing and transferring liquid hydrogen to other vehicles. That's obviously problematic because hydrogen is always absorbing heat and boiling off; while suitable shading might cut the rate down a lot, the only really long term solution would involve actively re-liquefying boiled off hydrogen.

I was proposing using the existing, operational fuel cells to provide a low risk guarantee of power for stay alive and setup even if the solar system gets jammed up completely, with the bonus that it gets rid of surplus propellant residuals without venting and leaves behind a quite useful water supply.

This is the kind of thing that depends on the numbers. I've been looking some of them up. They tell me that I was overoptimistic to look to much benefit in the latter two matters, but the power backup seems entirely worth it on its own.

On one hand, the standard three unit fuel cell system does not mass a whole lot, about 1/3 of a tonne all up, whereas Enterprise is not a one-shot launch but a growing station that future Orbiter sorties will gradually build up. After all colonizing the two propellant tanks opens up over 1800 cubic meters; at a tenth the density of water, that is 180 tonnes of additional station mass to gradually import through the hatches. (If I am to believe Silverbird Launch Vehicle Performance Calculator, a launch from Cape Canaveral to this orbit will deliver just short of 140 tonnes there--all up. And Atlantis has just under 14.5 tonnes payload it can deliver to add to that. Clearly people will be rattling around inside a quite sparsely outfitted pair of tanks for some time to come, and perhaps it will be years before it makes sense to try to colonize the hydrogen tank--plenty of time to vent any unused hydrogen by the simple expedient of opening up a small port to vacuum!)

Anything omitted to allow for just letting the standard fuel cell installation ride along can surely be fetched up later.

The rest of the fuel cell system is the tankage for about 400 kg of reactant. (This is from NASA SP-407, written in 1976, part 3). But we omit all that, replacing it with feeds from the ET tanks--indeed lines from there run to the SSMEs, so a low-pressure line capable of delivering at most 2 grams a second branching from those feed lines should be pretty easy and light.

Based on the table in this document, about 400 kg of reactant, obviously mostly oxygen (it seems the fuel cells ran a bit oxygen rich) generate a total of 1.8 megawatt-hours, or about 7 gigaJoules, at a standard rate of 21 kilowatts with all three working. (Which can surge up to 50 percent more for 15 minutes but that hardly seems necessary).

In terms of stay-alive power, and operational power while the solar panels are being deployed, a single one of the three cells can handily generate a kilowatt more than the 6 kw average needed, and do it steadily (sort of) without cycling the batteries at all. It is "sort of" because impurities in the reactants accumulate and degrade the performance and the cells are designed to cycle through blowoffs to purge these--and it does occur to me that hydrogen and oxygen from the ET might be significantly more contaminated with various gases than the dedicated high pressure cryogenic tanks the cells are designed to work with. So we wouldn't want to just run one cell, we'd have to cycle through all three, though the cells do go on generating power while being purged apparently. The 16 kW Enterprise Station needs for baseline ongoing operations would require more than two cells at sustainable 7 kW each, but I believe no harm results from running all three at something a bit over 2/3 their steady state rated amperage.

So all the drama about crossing fingers and racing against time just melts away if we have this installation. It is true it is only temporarily useful, but when it is useful it takes a bunch of loads of worry off.

As long as Atlantis comes within ten days, Enterprise could wait to deploy any of its solar cells, leaving the Leonardo docking port open for the Atlantis crew to make an easy first dock, and inflate the intertank access tubes from the station core side, guaranteeing a suitable docking port on the other side of the station is fully open for business before committing to it.

Then, having done that and other prep work, if the EPM panels are not designed to deploy while a ship is docked at Leonardo port (which might be the case even if subsequent arrivals can dock there, due to the geometry of getting the panels out of their storage pockets having to sweep through the volume where Atlantis is) the crew can reboard Atlantis and move their Orbiter over to the other side, and reboard the station once docked there and finish the job of deploying the panels.

In fact at some risk, some crew can stay aboard Enterprise while Atlantis undocks and backs off, perhaps gripping a hard point with her Canadarm, while the panels come out with crew on both sides, watching from the Orbiter and perhaps able to lend a hand with their Canadarm while others manage Enterprise's controls, then redock if Leonardo port is open once the EPM array is properly deployed. In this case the far side port is just emergency backup and maneuvering is minimal. Though I admit it is scary to leave some crew on Enterprise if anything goes wrong, especially since it seems Enterprise does not have any airlocks yet. (I'm not sure of that, I forget if Leonardo already has one or if the docking port doubles as one). Worst case, the crew on Enterprise might have to blow open Leonardo module, having suited up in pressure suits, and spacewalk over to Atlantis, not something to plan lightly. But again--we did in this scenario make sure the other side port is accessible and operational first, before Atlantis moves off.

No need to worry about whether a dual launch window is open, which I guess might take away the whole rationale for the 39 degree orbit, except the political one of SSE being visible in all the lower 48 states (and Hawaii makes 49, leaving Alaska alone in the lurch).

Well maybe. I've already noted that maybe the reactant supply from the ET is too contaminated and would gunk up the fuel cells faster than they can reasonably be purged.

Another thing I noticed you all did mention in the canon posts was that the fuel cells have limited lifetime. Well gosh, so must batteries, especially batteries designed in the 1980s--sooner or later it will be necessary to gather up the old batteries in Enterprise's power system, and for that matter the solar cells which also deteriorate over time, and either replace them or junk the station at that point.

However the catch in arguing that fuel cells might be superior to batteries (using solar power in daylight to split water by electrolysis back into H and O) is that it would be darn difficult to store the hydrogen--conceivably the oxygen might be liquefied, but trying to do that with the hydrogen would be a show stopper, so granted we want to ultimately rely on solar power, this is a no go even if the darn cells had infinite zero service lives.

But they don't have that either. They are rated for 2000 hours, which about 80 days plus--but SP-407 also remarks vaguely that they are refurbished many times within those total hours, between Shuttle missions on the ground. Since there is no way to do that while in orbit, beyond minimal stuff like purging the cells, I suppose we can take the near-400 kg capacity of the standard set of LOX and LH2 tanks foreseen in the 1976 document as a guide to about how long they ought to run without such maintenance--at 21 kW apparently those 400 kg would be used up in 3 and a half days. (Clearly later Shuttle missions improved on this a lot).

At just 6 kW for "stay alive" this stretches out to be more like 10 days, so it is not true there is no deadline at all. But considering that it is an auxiliary power source and not the main one, and that Atlantis is right there for emergency backup, I suppose we can stretch considerably more time out of them if we don't mind making them deteriorate, since once the solar panels are fully deployed we won't ever need the cells again. (And yeah that's useless ballast mass after that, and with no good way to rip them loose and discard them and put something else in where they were, since the Cargo Bay is packed full. But as others have observed--so are the much more massive and henceforth useless SSMEs in the back, only they are an order of magnitude more massive, and with clarification it seems the OMS engines are never to be used again either, so I don't think the mass tradeoff is all that terrible in perspective).

In addition to avoiding the risk of a power emergency, I felt that the fuel cells would synergistically accomplish some other useful tasks. Learning the numbers involved, I can see that we can't expect the cells to transform more than half a tonne at most of leftover oxygen and hydrogen in the ET before they are redlining for maintenance. That less than half tonne will provide a lot of power, assuming the oxygen and hydrogen is not too dirty to use. And while we won't acquire swimming pools worth of potable or otherwise useful water as I was vaguely hoping (well, a big bathtub anyway), 3-5 hundred kg of water is not nothing, considering we get it from materials we had to raise to orbit first and then would otherwise just have to throw away.

One reason I can only guess as to how much unused reaction mass is left in the tank is that I suppose ideally, a mission that launches perfectly nominally will always have tonnes of reserve, placed there just in case something nasty like an engine out or strong unexpected stratospheric cross winds knock the ascending ship off course. Reserves are to cover contingencies we hope don't happen, and that means if the mission went up exactly as planned, there they are sitting unused and not useful in the tanks. As you note, there are dreams of scavenging--but vice versa, the emergencies might arise, and they get used up and so any mission plan relying on their being there had better be optional.

And these reserves are over and above masses that cannot be wrung out of the tanks and fuel lines and pumps and so forth; at some point the engines must shut down, and then all this stuff is still in the lines, or else we'd have pumps sputtering and delivering hydraulic shocks.

I had reference to Silverbird Launch Vehicle performance calculator mainly to cheat and take a peek at what its author considers "default residuals," it is apparently about 1/2 of a percent. Nominal ET propellant load is 723 tonnes, so half a percent of that is about 3.6 tonnes. I verified that yes, only about 600 kg of oxygen are needed to inflate the ET tanks, both of them, to nominal STS full sea level partial pressure of oxygen, along with about 1800 kg of nitrogen I presume Atlantis (or whatever future mission enters the tanks) would bring along in payload. We can't usefully consume more than half a tonne in the fuel cells and that's pushing it, so clearly the majority of any residual ullage in the LOX tank along with every gram of hydrogen we don't use in the fuel cells will be vented to space.

I don't think I have cause to repent the suggestion that the fuel cells should be included, and used to provide temporary station keeping power. The other synergistic benefits I hoped to realize are ruled out, I can see plainly enough. But even the objection that perhaps the residual ET propellants are not pure enough to run the fuel cells seems like less of a show stopper and more like something that might be worked out--I didn't think filtering the gases would be practical, for instance, but actually if we have six times or more the reactants we can possibly use, a sloppy filter, nor do the same considerations toward maintaining a nominal 2000 hour working life apply in this case as they do with an Orbiter.

Overall the fuel cells seem to solve a lot more problems than they cause, and it is not right to compare what I am suggesting to the fancy fuel depot type forms of scavenging they were compared to. We are talking about tapping into propellant lines that run through the Orbiter anyway, for a gram per second trickle of reactants that get us 21 kilowatts of power. For only three days at that rate, and perhaps deteriorating rapidly with propellant contaminants, but given the finger crossing over the power supply in the posts, a simple solution with a backup, tested, tried and true power supply every Shuttle crew is deeply familiar with seems reasonable to at least have suggested.