Boldly Going: A History of an American Space Station

To throw more complications at Shevak's wonderful analysis... How about introducing crossfeed? There's already plumbing in place to get fuel from the ET to the orbiter proper, so why not go a step further and A: get the stack a full ET at booster separation and B: allow fueling the full stack through the existing ET hookups.

Other thought, what kind of capability would these boosters have as a single stick first stage? I love the idea of NASA backing into modularity on par with Energia almost as much as I love the marketability that comes with the environmental aspects of an all hydrolox booster.
I think we have a handle on single-stick capability by now.

The trouble with cross-feed as I guess is that actually, these giant LRBs on the STS stack are much broader than the old SRBs. (This is why I was thinking ker-lox for the LRBs.) The aerodynamics might be a problem. OTL it was necessary to throttle back on thrust approaching Max-Q, which was a matter of minimizing the peak dynamic pressure by a slower walk as it were past the point where rising aerodynamic pressure peaked (beyond that point, velocity continues to rise making each gram of air impact harder still, but density is dropping fast enough to offset that and more). We trade off some efficiency in attaining orbital speed (or the small fraction of it booster phase provides) costing extra propellant mass, t hit maximum Q at lower air density higher up. The aerodynamic forces I believe acted mainly on the ET and on the interface between the Orbiter and the ET. The SRBs themselves were pretty tough, and clinging close to the ET the adverse forces wanting to tear them off might be easily handled by modest truss and general tank strength within the tank. I've got to think though, the bigger those tanks get, the more extra stress the ET (and the new side tanks) suffer during this phase, along with increased drag of course. Drag is one form of these "adverse aerodynamic forces" I am talking about.

Therefore it might be necessary to sacrifice some performance to a broader and deeper Max-Q reduction maneuver. Everything I have guessed so far assumes identical performance to orbit as the goal--in real life the plan is to augment capacity actually. Now with all the throttle range the 11 SSME-core engines have, achieving such a slow walk past Max-Q is easier, but it comes at the price not only of foregoing full thrust for a time, but lowering the Isp of what thrust we do provide.

The genius of cross feeding is as you note to augment the propellant available to the central Orbiter/OPAM engines boosting themselves, payload and tank. I estimated a standard STS launch involves using up 180 tonnes in the ET. If each of two side boosters provides half that mass, 90 tonnes each, we have to add that to 240 tonnes, it is an 11/8 ratio. That's how much we increase the volume of the side booster tanks, and thus raise the overall aerodynamic interactions too.

If this involves small and managable hits on overall performance, then in the limit of zero impact, I think this means a 4/3 increase in mass delivered to LEO, which means going up about 50 tonnes! Obviously we can't load a standard Orbiter with that kind of mass, which would triple payload capacity; we would have to look into a separate pannier as the popular boattail on the ET, which would be a separate vehicle if we are disposing of the tank--or a pre-placed ET tail extension if we launch with the intention of putting the tank into orbit. Perhaps instead of a tail we might make it a fixed strake along the opposite side of the ET from the Orbiter instead? Or if we dispose of the tank, a Polyius (? spelling) type sidesaddle load that has to fly to orbit separately. (I refer to one of two attempted operational OTL launches of Energia, one orbited an uncrewed Buran successfully, the other involved a sidesaddle long thin capsule that, after Energia boosted it properly, failed on its own).

Of course the idea is to use the upgrades for Shuttle C, which does not have the same limits trying to cram a triple cargo into an Orbiter would have. We just make a 200 tonne payload for the Shuttle C. It can't all be actual payload of course.

Another thing in favor of the cross feeding idea is that that 90 tonnes of extra propellant for the side boosters is a fixed number, whereas perhaps we need significantly more than 240 tonnes in each LRB to match standard STS stack performance due to the aerodynamic issues and their solution mentioned above. Then the ratio of upsizing the LRBs is less than 11/8. But it surely does worsen the aerodynamics somewhat, which means some or perhaps all the benefit gets traded away with a yet deeper Max-Q thrust reduction. 50 extra tonnes is an upper limit I think, not a realistic and reliable projection.

But even just a 10 or 20 tonne augmentation would be worthwhile I suppose.

Given the engines, and the agency, we are talking about, I think we must be very generous with the terms "quick" and "cheap." This ain't SpaceX.
I think there is a bit of a brain-bug for a lot of people about the SSME and reuse.

While early versions of the engines (roughly through the Block IA) did require a degree of refurbishment (and yet, at the time of STS-51-L, there was an engine in the fleet that had flown 10 times), the later engines solved a lot of those issues. Further effort yielded even better results and the AR-22 was tested a few years ago and did ten hot firings in 240 hours.

The AR-22 was built from (flown!) SSME components, and run at 100% of rated thrust (as opposed to 104% for Shuttle and 109% for SLS).

@Shevek23 I'm actually surprised you haven't taken either your first (Station Truss being built off of the SRB-ET attach points), or your second (SSME powered LRB) victory laps. You deserve them man!

To provide some clarity, here's the specs we're using for the LRBs ITTL, adapted some from the General Dynamics and Martin Marietta papers, and some from various other Shuttle improvement numbers (some of those papers didn't also include Block II SSME, a reusable engine pod, or SLWT so some interpretation is required to get rough numbers using all the things we're using):

LRB per-tank numbers:
LRB expendable tank, struts, etc: 27 metric tons (this is a little heavy, but it's what the study we're basing on went with, so we're going with it)
LRB engine pod (5x SSME-35, 80% throttle during normal ascent to provide engine out directly off the pad): 37 metric tons
Propellant capacity: 293 metric tons
Tank diameter: 218" (5.53m)
Overall length (including engine pod): 2091" (53.1m)

Super Lightweight external tank:
26.5 metric tons dry, 733.5 metric tons prop

Shuttle mass with engines but without crew accommodations outfitted is about 93 metric tons, which comes up to about 99-100 metric tons with everything loaded for the crew. For Shuttle-C, the OPAM is about 30 tons dry and ~40 tons fueled with ethanol/LOX APU/OMS/RCS propellant. The payload fairing is about 15 tons for the fixed "strongback" portion, and about 6.5 tons for the jettisonable portion.

Based on the papers we have, this should be around 74-77 metric tons to a 250 km x 250km x 28.5 degree parking orbit for Shuttle-C and about 30-35 metric tons to the same LEO for Shuttle (less to Enterprise or other higher or more inclined orbits). Silverbird predicts "only" 121 tons metric tons, so 60 metric tons for Shuttle-C and 20ish metric tons for Shuttle, but that's with a confidence interval from 101-145 metric tons, with our numbers being the equivalent of about 135 metric tons. However, Silverbird isn't dealing with the use of OMS during boost or for circularization (part of why per @TimothyC's messing around with it, it doesn't do a great job modeling Shuttle with the default assumptions for that vehicle, either). We feel comfortable using 70 metric tons for the payload for the Earth Departure Stage launch in Minerva's architecture.

Last edited:
OK, I think I am vaguely in the approximate ballpark here. Each separate booster tank holds 240 tonnes, about 1/3 the ET volume each

If we made each tank the same length, and scaled just the diameter down, we'd have diameter of 4.85 meters.
Propellant capacity: 293 metric tons
Tank diameter: 218" (5.53m)
Overall length (including engine pod): 2091" (53.1m
So, not too far off, @Shevek23!
not much, there similar to old SRB, but there longer and reach to top of ET.
???
Far, far fatter. LH2 is really, really light.

Good evening, @Shevek23 . Now that we've got some of the numbers we were using posted, I can take time to go through this a bit...

For what it is worth, my RPA model of the SSME gives 364 secs Isp at sea level and 452 in vacuum, and lowering the expansion ratio to 35 raises SL Isp to 394 while lowering vacuum performance to 438 sec. Since all these Isps apply to the same chamber and throat mass flow, they pretty much indicate thrust variations linearly too.
Agreed, those are pretty much the same numbers RPA was giving me (perhaps unsurprisingly). I'm not sure you're right about the throttled behavior, though. My copy of RPA is spitting out that at 80% throttle, the SSME-35 engine would still produce 395s Isp at sea level, compared to 399s full-throttle. Thus, the 80% thrust from 5 engines has about the performance and propellant consumption you were assuming from 4 engines.

Anyway, with 8 booster engines and 3 core sustainers each one of them drawing nominal 100 percent throttle 489.3 kg of propellant a second, eleven such engines are drawing a total of 5.3827 tonnes...
As noted in a previous post, we're actually using the 5-engine pod version from the report, which allows all engines to run at 80% (improving engine life) and preserving throttle-up for nominal performance even in the event of a single engine out almost directly off the pad--a dramatic improvement in Shuttle abort modes!

AOK, I think I am vaguely in the approximate ballpark here.
Indeed you were, though the pod has to take 5 engines, not 4 (part of the reasons your numbers were so close is that the 5 engines are running at ~80% thrust and thus doing their best impression of a smaller number of engines unless needed for abort). The pod weight is a bit high in the paper (~37 tons per pod), but we're trusting the study, the additional engine(s) over the orbital pod, and the various floatation and recovery gear.

I still think the LRBs should keep the tank and reuse it. After all it has to be strong enough to deliver all its thrust to the top ET tank hardpoint, doesn't it. This is natural on a solid rocket, which has to be strong to contain the bursting pressure of the grain combustion all along its entire length, but if STS had started with LRBs the temptation would be to arrange for thrust to come into the ET below, at the platform of the sidesaddle booster engines themselves, and let the tank for the booster ride along instead of using inherent strength to lift the tank and Orbiter from the shoulders as it were. Since the propellant tank must be strong enough to serve as a thrust beam, why not double down on their strength for many times reuse instead of multiplying Michoud's tank production by 5/3.
NASA seemed to prefer having expendable tanks with the higher-performance pump-fed LRBs, for which I can offer a few thoughts but no firm explanation. First, Michoud was tooled for up to 24 full external tanks/year with their existing tooling, so producing more tanks comes at relatively small capital cost. Second, as long as you're recovering from the water, one of the most important things is keeping the engines out of the water (not as critical perhaps for something simpler like an H-1 or a pump-fed stage, but for an SSME...best to keep the turbo machinery dry and salt-free for ease of maintenance). This is easier with a pod floating "nose down" in the water like a small boat than a full booster stage floating on its side in the water. There were ideas I've seen with "clamshell" coverings, but I'm suspicious of how well they'd seal, and I suspect NASA was too. Shy of that and with no provisions considered at the time for propulsive landing on a ship (the stage being far too heavy for any existing helicopter or plane, or--since I know you're fond of the idea @Shevek23 -- even most contemplated airships), the only way to keep the booster's engines dry is to fly the whole thing back to land, with great loss of payload due to additional propellant needs. As far as I can tell, NASA really only considered in full detail four options: expended boosters, fully-recovered pressure-fed boosters, partially-recovered engine pods for pump-fed boosters downrange, or flyback boosters using pump-fed engines. We decided to go with the partially-recovered tanks because they were an interesting in-between step which I at least haven't messed with before, and the high production rate of the new tanks (as many as 16/year for even historical post-Challenger Shuttle flight rates of 8/year) will help keep costs very low at Michoud for both booster tanks and the core External Tank. After all, at least part of the success in cost reduction by SpaceX and Rocketlab comes from just selling enough flights to be able to tool to build and then fly a dozen or more units per year, while a not-insignificant portion of SLS' flaws is being tooled and expected to build one or so units per year which must bear the cost of the entire program.

To fit within VAB height limits this vertical stack has to shorten the stages, which means widening them, but we have a lot of margin for that before we match or exceed the diameter of the ET at 8.4 meters!
It's worth noting the VAB height limits are quite generous. Though the Shuttle (and particularly our LRB-fitted Shuttle and Shuttle-C) are tight on the doors laterally, they literally could roll out Shuttle without opening the door all the way:
STS-106-e1522443490322.jpg

Last edited:
So, not too far off, @Shevek23!

???
Far, far fatter. LH2 is really, really light.

In his defense, there were a lot of LRB studies, and some of the geometry was similar to what he discusses. We didn't use it however, and went with something a bit wider. Most notably the thinner boosters were such so that the booster intertank matched with the ET intertank. Enough of the studies didn't do this however, so we considered it to be not a problem.

The VAB doors can accommodate a launch vehicle up to 120 m tall and roughly 23 m wide. There is only institutional experience in the construction of 5.5 m, 6.6 m, 8.4 m, and 10 m large hydrogen stages, all dating back to Saturn and none at Michoud, so there probably wouldn’t be a good reason not to just select the optimum tank diameter for the application.

This will probably never happen in this timeline for some sort of technical or economic (or political) reasons, but I feel like the Space Island Group (from the early 2000s) is relevant to this, and their counterpart in this universe would be more motivated to promote their concept of "commercial wheel-shaped stations made out of Space Shuttle external tanks":

The SIG, (and yes in fact that DID confuse some older British space fans, kind of in a good way :) ) plan for the "ring" stations was that the specially constructed "tank-attachment' segments would 'flatten' the curve on the smaller diameter stations to allow the tanks to be used in a 'flat' orientation. See the Geode and Ring station designs on the website. More practically they probably would have had to develop a way to take the ET's apart in orbit and just use the LH2 tanks with the LOX tanks used for other tasks.

(and yes, I know 4:24 implies some sort of impossible SSTO)

Can't access the video at work but if it's the vehicle I'm suspecting then it's actually called the "Dual Launch Vehicle" concept and while it uses a version of the DC-Clipper proposed SSTO as a reentry and landing vehicle for the crew (and passengers later) it was not in fact an SSTO but a Single-Stage Reentry and Landing and intact abort vehicle for the "Dual" ET launch vehicle. (Essentially a Shuttle-C with the DC-Clipper as a 'capsule' and a modified ET LH2 tank as the main-body "research lab" or "cargo space" and a recoverable propulsion package) There would be three (3) versions of the DC-Clipper, an unmanned cargo version holding about 4,500lbs of supplies and materials, (keep in mind it's riding with essentially another cargo volume below that as well), another version would be optimized for orbital work as a tug while a third would be designed to carry up to 22 passengers/crew to and from orbit.

You'll also note from the site that almost all the ET's carried Aft Cargo Carrier (ACC) systems both to scavenge propellant but also to allow each ET to carry a portion of it's outfitting gear to orbit as well as provide attachment points and wiring connections.

Overall a pretty well thought out business and operational plan at least to the stage it got OTL but between the lack of interest at NASA for anything "Shuttle-C" related or on-orbit use of the ET's and the general lack of a developed and accessible "space market" beyond orbital satellites it didn't get much traction. TTL you have to wonder if it might have gotten more and gone further.

Randy

The VAB doors can accommodate a launch vehicle up to 120 m tall and roughly 23 m wide. There is only institutional experience in the construction of 5.5 m, 6.6 m, 8.4 m, and 10 m large hydrogen stages, all dating back to Saturn and none at Michoud, so there probably wouldn’t be a good reason not to just select the optimum tank diameter for the application.

Well that's nice to know the reason the Convair proposed Saturn-1C-VR and Saturn-II-VR stages were kept around 19m and 15.25m respectively. The max-volume payload carrier was still pushing the limits at around 113m tall without an upper stage but it was probably likely you'd need an upper stage for some stacks. Thanks that's going in my note pile :)

Randy

Well that's nice to know the reason the Convair proposed Saturn-1C-VR and Saturn-II-VR stages were kept around 19m and 15.25m respectively. The max-volume payload carrier was still pushing the limits at around 113m tall without an upper stage but it was probably likely you'd need an upper stage for some stacks. Thanks that's going in my note pile :)

Randy
VAB doors are an interesting question when it comes to the various LRB studies that happened from the start in the 1970s up through the late 1990s with the Liquid Fly-Back Booster / Reusable First Stage work. They were actually rather important, and limited the size of the LRB diameter:

19980231024_F5-6.png

(From: Shuttle Liquid Fly Back Booster Configuration Options )

@RanulfC , you might also find this useful.

VAB_Dimensions.gif

VAB_Height_Constraints.jpg

Unrelated to this timeline, but it's really funky the shapes that the T-shape of the doors allows. A lot of Saturn derivatives end up scraping the hook height and door limits, but a lot of other vehicles end up more limited on width, unless they're very wide near the base of the doors and fit into the "T":

Chrysler_SERV_VAB_Door.png

I'm not sure you're right about the throttled behavior, though. My copy of RPA is spitting out that at 80% throttle, the SSME-35 engine would still produce 395s Isp at sea level, compared to 399s full-throttle. Thus, the 80% thrust from 5 engines has about the performance and propellant consumption you were assuming from 4 engines.
We are almost certainly using different versions of RPA. Mine is free and lacks all sorts of desirable things such as accounting for different modes of pumping the chamber, factoring in cooling, etc. Basically it just assumes all engines are pressure fed with a meter area throat. I've noticed I might be able to adjust the temperature of the propellants fed in but I've never tried to fool with that (so when I run numbers for hydrogen peroxide it assumes the input temperature is 288 K rather than 275, for instance--I've wondered if I could get figures for an atomic rocket with hydrogen monopropellant by setting the input temperature high enough; not sure if that would work in this version of the software or not/

But even so, by golly you are right...even at 69 expansion there is very very little difference in the "throttled performance" estimate at SL between 60 percent and 100. In this worst case it comes to under 10 percent

However at 87.2 percent, at standard SSME expansion of 69, the curve does indicate flow separation. Throttling to 80 percent with a normal SSME would only involve less than 5 percent reduction in Isp, but we'd have those vibrations from chaotic air intrusion fingers.

Of course the key here is lowering the expansion ratio, which costs us some performance in thin air but gains it where we need it most, at SL.

Switching over to that, the simple software I have says there is no flow separation at all, even at 60 percent throttle. Isp is lower at 80 percent but only down to 97.25 that at full throttle. (I am not giving absolute figures it gives me because these are theoretical and overoptimistic, for actual performance I rely on "Estimated Delivered Performance" which matches up well with published data and in this case full throttle Isp would be 394.11 sec. Thus at 80 percent I'd expect 383.26, a difference of about 11 sec. I noticed your propellant masses are indeed on the high side, which makes sense, because of this little hit and because throttling down more for Max-Q minimization would involve a bit more Isp deterioration--but by then we are in much thinner air, maybe the shock wave wake offsets the pressure more too, and in vacuum there is hardly any Isp variation due to throttling to speak of.

It seems then that the SSME operates at such a high core pressure, near 200 atmospheres, that even high expansion leaves it plenty of margin to shove sea level air aside with only minor impediment. The standard 69 expansion has the exhaust down to 1/5 atmosphere at nozzle exit, while 35 expansion firing into vacuum is close to half an atmosphere (these both at full throttle of course). The combination of lower expansion and the high pressure core is what keeps the throttled Isp curve so close to flat I guess.

This helps vindicate the high tech approach of modifying such a fancy engine as the SSME for the booster job, as opposed to what I favored--adapting the F-1A by downsizing and derating it. If we need a spare engine for engine out on the boosters as well as the Orbiter/OPAM core, this high pressure core approach is strongly favored. The Isp curve for lower pressure core engines like the F-1A would be a lot steeper and flow separation at lower throttle a major concern. Of course simply using hydrogen for both sets simplifies operations and made it possible to use the identical cores for both versions which simplifies refurbishment operations, and of course amortizes them over a lot more engines in the pipeline (8/11 of which have undergone a relatively short burn for lighter average task load in necessary repairs, though checkup must be the same for all). I didn't find any major advantage in overall thrust or other parameters trying to switch the SSMEs to other fuels; my main objection to hydrogen fuel was the tremendous tank volume, which aside from construction costs, involves aerodynamic issues in the boost phase.

How much of a performance hit comes from the volume difference between the LBR and SRB?

As noted in a previous post, we're actually using the 5-engine pod version from the report, which allows all engines to run at 80% (improving engine life) and preserving throttle-up for nominal performance even in the event of a single engine out almost directly off the pad--a dramatic improvement in Shuttle abort modes!
Derating the engines for durability is something I did mention, though in context of alternative fuels and different engine designs. I'd guess it is not linear--that is, if all 5 engines run at 80 percent, we get more than a 25 percent extension in seconds of burn before a given refurbishment is necessary. Well, I suppose that would be true of some forms of wear and tear, and maybe others just go with burn time period, so it would be a mix. At any rate everything should be well back from red lines. And there is still that emergency 9 percent super-throttle available on all 11 engines too.

The pod weight is a bit high in the paper (~37 tons per pod), but we're trusting the study, the additional engine(s) over the orbital pod, and the various floatation and recovery gear.
And comes amazingly close to my 70 tonne all up (per booster) dry estimate, based on aiming for a certain delta-V target.

Is this 37 tonnes well in line with the 3-engine OPAM? The OPAM has a tougher job of course, it has to put the payload of Shuttle C into orbit, then brake itself for descent and endure orbital reentry. The booster engine pods just have to survive modest supersonic/hypersonic braking and then splash down, but with 5 engines instead of 3. So we might guess the OPAM must be more than 25 tonnes, but possibly not more than 35.
Michoud was tooled for up to 24 full external tanks/year with their existing tooling, so producing more tanks comes at relatively small capital cost.
OK, capital cost is handled with built in surplus capability--though insofar as these improvements lower launch costs, we'd expect an uptick in demand that might make Michoud a choke point.

But how much does each tank cost? Not all the costs are amortized! I suppose the materials cost might be modest. That leaves the actual costs involved in assembling each one for a single use (except for ETs that are destined to be sent to orbit to be repurposed there, but I think it is clear by now such tanks need a fair amount of customizing--widen the intertank separation, install hatches or anyway easy cutouts to place them, install RCS thrusters, etc, never mind pre-fitting floors and walls, and so on). The material and labor costs per tank, setting the amortization at naught at first, should be compared to any first cost increases to make the booster tanks reusable, and then refurbishment per launch. Indeed we take a hit with amortization if we don't need a new tank for each booster to be launched--but if the price of a launch can go low enough, better amortizing the investment of infrastructure and launch crews at Canaveral and Vandenberg, Michoud will offset lack of work for new booster tanks with increased rates of orders for new ETs.

Having looked at the use of one of your LRBs as a booster for a two-stage LEO stick rocket, I guess I need to withdraw the suggestion of an RLB where the ET returns to Earth along with the SSMEs. If the OPAM masses say 33 tonnes and an ultralight ET 27, that would leave 90 tonnes for the payload module (though there are non-payload mass requirements there too, shrouds and so on). But we can't recover that, just the OPAM. To make the ET reusable too, we'd have to raise the mass--I suppose making it out of steel might come close to doubling it versus the aluminum-lithium alloy ultralight tank, and it would still need some sort of TPS, probably lighter than people might guess between the load being "fluffy" and the heat tolerance of a steel tank, but still substantial, plus maneuvering fins and terminal landing braking of some kind. The 90 tonne payload package gets whittled down fast; if we can get by with as little as 30 tonnes (after all, much of the OPAM mass can be trimmed, if the ET is included, to partially compensate for greater mass there) the payload section is down to 60 tonnes. Whereas I am pretty sure using one LRB as a booster stage will put up more than 30 tonnes! Two LBR stick launches would be superior in capacity to one RLV launch,using the same boosters, while making the stick second stage recoverable might be very feasible at modest payload cost.

Therefore we might not have nearly as many full scale STS-2 launches, going over to many LRB/reusable upper stage launches. But each mega-scale 90 tonne launch we do will require an expendable tank. And many of these, a customized ET to be used as a structure in LEO or beyond.

Second, as long as you're recovering from the water, one of the most important things is keeping the engines out of the water (not as critical perhaps for something simpler like an H-1 or a pump-fed stage, but for an SSME...best to keep the turbo machinery dry and salt-free for ease of maintenance). This is easier with a pod floating "nose down" in the water like a small boat than a full booster stage floating on its side in the water.
But if the LRB is fully reusable, what we can do is first of all trim it to brake sideways, a la Starship--this requires fins on nose and tail, the large ones on the tail of course. With those fins the thing comes down in "skydiver" horizontal attitude, lowering terminal speeds below 100 m/sec. We can lower than more on near approach to the water with parachutes, two sets, nose and tail, the latter again larger than the former because of the engines biasing the center of mass back. Now, just before we hit, we inflate a pair of balloon floats on the tail or farther forward, between tail and CM, and another single bumper balloon on the nose tip, and then release the nose parachute. (We can avoid losing it by having a line to the rear cluster of parachutes). Now the nose swings down, the tail being better braked, and the nose balloon slams into the water as a shock absorber--we design it to deflate at maximum pressure, dipping the nose tip in the sea. The tail is now coming down as a lever, partially buoyed by the nose floating, so the tail balloon floats hit at a moderated speed and handily prevent the actual stage tail from getting a dunking. It rides on the water as a tripod supported beam, nose awash, tail well above the wave crests and out of the lower heavier spray zone. The engine nozzles certainly can take a moderate amount of salt spray. To protect the more delicate stuff above the level of the nozzle throats, we can have inflatable collars, simpler and lighter than clamshells, presumably the engines are gimbaled to a fixed stowage neutral angle and thus pre-tailored inflatable shapes, that don't have to handle anything worse than residual warmth of the engines, can fit pretty snugly. We might want these on the booster pod only version anyway since even a rather long engine pod won't be able to lift the engines terribly far above sea level. Float gas volume could be less for superior clearance above the water in the full recovered version too. Now the recovery boat can just secure the tail end to the boat stern, put a spray shroud over the engines, and either drag the stage back with the nose being dragged through the water, or to protect it better and perhaps lower drag, some floats can be affixed to it.
since I know you're fond of the idea @Shevek23 -- even most contemplated airships)
Well, there seems little reason a reusable booster would mass much more than the LRBs here, so 60-80 tonnes. Your booster engine capsule is already on the heavy side of possible helicopter lift. Whereas such airships as the USN ZRS designs USS Akron and Macon already had useful lifts in this ballpark; Hindenburg or Graf Zeppelin "II" could nearly do it as built and operated. These are big rigids of course; for a single airship to fish out both of two boosters each massing 80 tonnes would require 160 tonnes useful lift. No airship constructed in real life would quite do it but they come close and modest lengthening to 300 meters/1000 feet was planned by various concerns, such as the British imperial air service contemplated in the 1920s; their facilities were designed for anticipated "thousand footers."

Using 1990s on the drawing board technology, a variation of the Zeppelin NT design would seem entirely feasible and would fit within some hangars already extant--though these (the Akron Airdock, the former Naval hangar at Sunnyvale California now absorbed into Ames NASA campus; perhaps the Lakehurst hangar in New Jersey, and maybe Cardington in Britain, as well as the Zeppelin hangar in Brazil) have all been repurposed and cluttered up. The basic NT design involves three contoured longitudinal keels braced by an inner prism of struts triangulated with tension lines, the whole thing fitted inside a blimp envelope to form a semirigid design. A variation on this ought to work fine stretched to 300 meter length, and could handily handle cargoes much exceeding 100 tonnes.

It isn't extant but it is fairly conservative. We'd want new hangars convenient to Canaveral and Vandenberg, and maybe another one at Michoud if we want to use the airships to hasten transport of assembled boosters and ETs to Canaveral. If designed for 200 tonnes useful lift, one could haul a pair of LRBs stowed in a streamlined (air-pressurized, per blimp operations) lower bay and the ET as a sling load outside. We would need to allow some volume expansion room hence a bit longer and greater diameter to fly from Michoud to Vandenberg within CONUS, taking the Gadsden Purchase route for the lowest passes over the continental divide. But you tell me how it was proposed OTL to get an ET from Michoud to Vandenberg? Was it going to go in a Super Guppy type airplane of some kind? That might work since the ETs were so light. Blimps have built in ability for their helium to expand some 33 percent, mainly for trim reasons rather than to rise 10,000 feet, the problems the old rigids had clearing the Divide even on the southern route had to do with their not being designed to rise terribly high above sea level. If the high CONUS route to the west coast were ruled out, the narrow low isthmus in Mexico is available if we can trust crossing Mexican airspace, or if not, the Panama Canal zone is presumably secure enough, and if ETs would not go on airplanes by OTL plans the Panama Canal route is the only one I suppose the ET could take to Vandenberg anyway. With the airship it goes a lot faster than by barge, and barring severe weather, smoother.

No extant design, nor any in history, would be suitable for recovering even single LRBs in the 50-90 tonne range, true. But anyway airships no bigger than some historic rigids, including conservatively a rigid rather than pressure ship design modified for sling load lifting and securing in a cradle, could be designed conservatively in the case of the rigid. No pressure ship big enough has flown, but I think extrapolating a design like the NT is pretty straightforward.

A big cost item would be constructing the hangars, a minimum of three, for Michoud, Canaveral and Vandenberg at least. Once upon a time, there was talk, in the days when NASA closed its eyes and assumed the STS would meet all launch cadence and price reduction targets as designed, of creating a new launch site in south Texas, about where SpaceX is operating today. And delerious levels of success might suggest a few more bases--a section at Kourou for subtropical inclination launches and maybe expanding Kodiak or some other far northern point, in Canada or Europe, for very high inclination launches such as sun-synchronous orbit. We'd want hangars at each launch site.

Meanwhile, I have to admit fishing the stages out of the water with boats seems to work well enough, at realistic launch cadances.
It's worth noting the VAB height limits are quite generous. Though the Shuttle (and particularly our LRB-fitted Shuttle and Shuttle-C) are tight on the doors i, they literally could roll out Shuttle without opening the door all the way:

The VAB doors can accommodate a launch vehicle up to 120 m tall and roughly 23 m wide.

Lesson learned; here I have been assuming the Shuttle did crowd the limits, but of course I should have remembered Saturn V was a much taller stack.

Plenty of room then for supersized Shuttle-derived systems. All liquid fueled, they would be lightweight brought to the pad empty; the major limit would seem to be the magnitude of net thrust blast the extant launching pads can handle, historically set by the Saturn V.

However, Silverbird isn't dealing with the use of OMS during boost or for circularization (part of why per @TimothyC's messing around with it, it doesn't do a great job modeling Shuttle with the default assumptions for that vehicle, either).
I have been assuming the figures are close for when one chooses the "historic vehicles" Shuttle options, which requires one to name the particular Orbiter.

To try to get a realistic match in custom user-defined vehicles, I specify two boosters on a two stage design. Stage one is full SSME thrust, 6510 kN, vacuum Isp 452, with the ET as the stage dry mass. Second stage is the Orbiter, assuming 4 tonnes of OMS propellant with the OMS as the engine--now I wonder if I underestimated the thrust by using thrust for one OMS when there are actually two. Using historic figures for Columbia mass minus the 4 tonnes propellant, and IIRC 53 or so kN for Columbia's own OMS thrust, and knowing exact figures for the SRB burnout mass and mass of the grain consumed, I kludged around with the inferred booster vacuum Isp, which multiplies by 9.81*grain mass/123 seconds burn to give a thrust in KN--wrong of course versus the real world, because SRBs burn in dense atmosphere and with variable burn rates, starting high and gradually dropping. Mass flow is not constant and vacuum conditions are never achieved, but the inferred Isp where the payload matches what the historic vehicle program reports a given Shuttle could have delivered to a test orbit, I suppose the Silverbird model with the side boosters having the specified performance will be about right.

It might be better if I did it as a three stage, with the second stage having zero dry mass; this represents two OMS burns, one upon ET separation and the other being the final circularization.And it is a major blooper if I am using just half the available Orbiter thrust--though actually such near-free-fall maneuvers should give similar results whether longer burn at lower thrust or shorter at higher.

The way I did it, the inferred constant thrust SRB equivalent would have thrust 11,100 kN and Isp 277 sec both in vacuum. Naturally this kludges right over such fine points as lowering thrust to minimize Max-Q and so on.

@RanulfC , you might also find this useful.

VAB_Dimensions.gif

VAB_Height_Constraints.jpg

Thanks that helps :)

Unrelated to this timeline, but it's really funky the shapes that the T-shape of the doors allows. A lot of Saturn derivatives end up scraping the hook height and door limits, but a lot of other vehicles end up more limited on width, unless they're very wide near the base of the doors and fit into the "T":

Chrysler_SERV_VAB_Door.png

And that SERV is on a MLP/ Crawler right? It looks like it.

I spy a SERV. I would have no idea where to start but a space based tl where some act of ASB saw it selected for the STS program would be amazing. I have no idea if it could be made to work but a viable SSTO in the 1980's would be fascinating.

Well if you can arrange the same 'circumstances' that ended up with the OTL "Orbital Space Plane" competition that even the 'winner' Lockheed admitted that was actually "won" by the Boeing Capsule design as it was what the requirements actually needed rather than what NASA wanted ...

The problem was the SERV was so far from what NASA envisioned the "shuttle" to look like getting it taken seriously was always going to be a problem. Tack-on the fact it's an SSTO when those weren't as likely as the advocates made it sound... And the size and power was going to be a problem during launch much like the rest of the "post-Saturn" super-heavy launch vehicles. I'd love to see it done but like you I'm not sure how to get there.

Randy

We are almost certainly using different versions of RPA. Mine is free and lacks all sorts of desirable things such as accounting for different modes of pumping the chamber, factoring in cooling, etc. Basically it just assumes all engines are pressure fed with a meter area throat. I've noticed I might be able to adjust the temperature of the propellants fed in but I've never tried to fool with that (so when I run numbers for hydrogen peroxide it assumes the input temperature is 288 K rather than 275, for instance--I've wondered if I could get figures for an atomic rocket with hydrogen monopropellant by setting the input temperature high enough; not sure if that would work in this version of the software or not.
I run Lite 1.2.9.0, since I don't use it for anything worth paying for the pricier tools (like actually generating chamber profiles or the like which I'd need if I wanted to try to build any of these instead of just write about them). I know I've heard some people having success modeling nuclear thermal as hydrogen monoprop with input temperatures of whatever the reactor temperature would be.

It seems then that the SSME operates at such a high core pressure, near 200 atmospheres, that even high expansion leaves it plenty of margin to shove sea level air aside with only minor impediment. The standard 69 expansion has the exhaust down to 1/5 atmosphere at nozzle exit, while 35 expansion firing into vacuum is close to half an atmosphere (these both at full throttle of course). The combination of lower expansion and the high pressure core is what keeps the throttled Isp curve so close to flat I guess.
Yeah, this is the benefit of the high pressure engines like SSME and Raptor for sea level performance, along with a smaller bell that permits more easily packing them in on a first stage vehicle. It's kind of amazing when you consider that the SSME (normal version IOTL) filled a nozzle with about the same expansion ratio as the vacuum J-2...at sea level.

How much of a performance hit comes from the volume difference between the LBR and SRB?
Probably <100 m/s in additional drag losses, though we couldn't say without CFD tools we don't have the particular inclination/ability to run.

Derating the engines for durability is something I did mention, though in context of alternative fuels and different engine designs. I'd guess it is not linear--that is, if all 5 engines run at 80 percent, we get more than a 25 percent extension in seconds of burn before a given refurbishment is necessary. Well, I suppose that would be true of some forms of wear and tear, and maybe others just go with burn time period, so it would be a mix. At any rate everything should be well back from red lines. And there is still that emergency 9 percent super-throttle available on all 11 engines too.
Fatigue life and creep life are very strongly non-linear. This chart is jsut off Google, but gives some idea of the behavior. As you'll see, on this chart dropping the stress by 25% has about a 10x increase in cycle life in theory. This is part of why the AR-22 was able to run ten times with almost no inspection or maintenance: the 10 tests in 10 days were run at 100% rated power level, not the old SSME-typical 104.5%. At the high end of performance, every few additional % of performance you ask for can have large impacts on design life. To turn it around for RLVs, every few fractions of a % of performance you leave on the table can come with major life cycle and maintenance benefits.

fatigue_SN_01.gif

Is this 37 tonnes well in line with the 3-engine OPAM? The OPAM has a tougher job of course, it has to put the payload of Shuttle C into orbit, then brake itself for descent and endure orbital reentry. The booster engine pods just have to survive modest supersonic/hypersonic braking and then splash down, but with 5 engines instead of 3. So we might guess the OPAM must be more than 25 tonnes, but possibly not more than 35.
The numbers we found for the OPAM we're using put it at about 30 tons dry and 40 tons fueled with ethanol/LOX OMS/RCS/APU propellants. Given the OPAM needs RCS and OMS engines, in addition to the three SSMEs, the numbers seem to make sense--it's lighter overall (at least dry) but heavier per-engine because of the OMS and other additional systems for its phasing stay in LEO prior to return as well as the orbit-capable TPS.

Last edited:
Improved rocket engine nozzle.
Aerospikes represent an interesting use case, but they won't work on something like an LRB. The fundamental idea of an aerospike is to use the outside pressure of the air to constrain the exhaust. This works great when there are not significant objects blocking the airflow, such as on stages without any boosters like the X-33, but on a shuttle LRB, there is both the external tank that is beside each LRB, and the space shuttle wings on a second side. Because of this, the flow around the base of the LRB is not going to be uniform, and thus an aerospike would have a deformed plume, and much lower performance. Because of the need for a relatively even airstream around them, aerospikes will continue to be limited to applications where they can be placed directly behind a large cylindrical section with few or limited protrusions (fins are acceptable, tanks that are larger than the core of the rocket the engine is attached to are not).

Everyday Astronaut did a really good video and article on the advantages and disadvantages of them relative to conventional bells.

But how much does each tank cost? Not all the costs are amortized! I suppose the materials cost might be modest.
It's a little hard to say. Materials cost is an incredibly small part of it. At about $4/kg for aluminum sheet, the materials are only about $100k of the cost. Machine depreciation and labor would then likely be the next biggest contributors, but I don't honestly know how much that needs. It seems like a per-tank cost of about $50m was typical for the external tanks in 1994/95 if you divide the total contract by the number produced (when a salvage claim was filed for a tank whose barge got into trouble in a storm and was retrieved in a risky assistance operation by another vessel), though the same article seems to claim marginal cost of the tank was more like $19m. OTOH, it's not clear how many more actual staff would be needed to stand up the LRB tank production, and production is two LRB tanks for each Shuttle ET so we're roughly tripling Michoud production. At $1,000-$1,500/kg build cost, it'd be something like $25-40m per tank, $50-$80m per flight set. On the other hand, for 18 tanks per year, that'd be production costs of $450m total on the low end, enough to support the direct salaries of about 2200 people at an annual average burdened labor rate of about $200k. Michoud only employed 4200 people total, and the number of people required to dramatically increase the production of tanks likely doesn't run into the thousands, so it might even be more like $10-15m/tank. As a final note of confusion, if we're reading a chart on p93 of the Martin study (NTRS 19910013053) correctly, they were thinking possibly as low as $5m/tank for the partially reusable and fully expendable boosters. Cost is complex for this kind of thing, needless to say.

But if the LRB is fully reusable, what we can do is first of all trim it to brake sideways, a la Starship--this requires fins on nose and tail, the large ones on the tail of course. With those fins the thing comes down in "skydiver" horizontal attitude, lowering terminal speeds below 100 m/sec. We can lower than more on near approach to the water with parachutes, two sets, nose and tail, the latter again larger than the former because of the engines biasing the center of mass back. Now, just before we hit, we inflate a pair of balloon floats on the tail or farther forward, between tail and CM, and another single bumper balloon on the nose tip, and then release the nose parachute. (We can avoid losing it by having a line to the rear cluster of parachutes). Now the nose swings down, the tail being better braked, and the nose balloon slams into the water as a shock absorber--we design it to deflate at maximum pressure, dipping the nose tip in the sea. The tail is now coming down as a lever, partially buoyed by the nose floating, so the tail balloon floats hit at a moderated speed and handily prevent the actual stage tail from getting a dunking. It rides on the water as a tripod supported beam, nose awash, tail well above the wave crests and out of the lower heavier spray zone. The engine nozzles certainly can take a moderate amount of salt spray. To protect the more delicate stuff above the level of the nozzle throats, we can have inflatable collars, simpler and lighter than clamshells, presumably the engines are gimbaled to a fixed stowage neutral angle and thus pre-tailored inflatable shapes, that don't have to handle anything worse than residual warmth of the engines, can fit pretty snugly. We might want these on the booster pod only version anyway since even a rather long engine pod won't be able to lift the engines terribly far above sea level. Float gas volume could be less for superior clearance above the water in the full recovered version too. Now the recovery boat can just secure the tail end to the boat stern, put a spray shroud over the engines, and either drag the stage back with the nose being dragged through the water, or to protect it better and perhaps lower drag, some floats can be affixed to it.
Possibly viable as a general concept, though as always the issues are in the details. For one, floatation bags or airbags large enough to float the engines of an LRB well out of the water are quite large--several meters in diameter, likely. Floating the engines that high also creates a problem, since I'm not sure about the stability of the engine-high configuration in roll around the axis once it's floating on the water. It'd be stable enough on land, but with wave action and a high metacentric height it may not have enough righting action to avoid rolling all the way over (where, with the bags floating on the surface and the engines below the water, it'd be much more stable). I'm also not clear you're buying a lot with the "skydiver" Starship-style belly flop since you still end up using parachutes anyway. A phased deployment of parachutes, starting with drogues out and back and then parachutes front and rear rigged to carry the stage in the nose-down attitude you're aiming to impact in could be arranged, and saves all the control surfaces and some of the lateral stress (though you still have the stress of water impact and wave action). NASA did look at versions of boosters which landed on their sides, but didn't pursue them nearly as much as partially-recovered or RTLS boosters as far as I can tell, likely because the Shuttle boosters only came down ~200 km from the Cape anyway and thus diversion to RTLS or at least to get back to land somewhere dry wasn't such a serious hit if you were already willing to consider recovering the entire stage intact as critical and you had a relatively high-performance engine or aerodynamic fins/wings to glide on.
But you tell me how it was proposed OTL to get an ET from Michoud to Vandenberg? Was it going to go in a Super Guppy type airplane of some kind? That might work since the ETs were so light...if not, the Panama Canal zone is presumably secure enough, and if ETs would not go on airplanes by OTL plans the Panama Canal route is the only one I suppose the ET could take to Vandenberg anyway. With the airship it goes a lot faster than by barge, and barring severe weather, smoother.
Barge was indeed what they used to move ETs to Vandenberg. There were 4 at Vandenberg historically when Challenger occurred, per @TimothyC's check of Jenkins (thanks!).
No extant design, nor any in history, would be suitable for recovering even single LRBs in the 50-90 tonne range, true. But anyway airships no bigger than some historic rigids, including conservatively a rigid rather than pressure ship design modified for sling load lifting and securing in a cradle, could be designed conservatively in the case of the rigid. No pressure ship big enough has flown, but I think extrapolating a design like the NT is pretty straightforward...Meanwhile, I have to admit fishing the stages out of the water with boats seems to work well enough, at realistic launch cadances.
Unless you're able to catch it midair (like Rocketlabs proposes with their much smaller stages and helicopters) or catch it on the deck of a boat before it enters the water (like SpaceX and Blue Origins plan), there really isn't much harm in just fishing whatever hardware you're grabbing out of the water with a boat and the trip back to the Cape isn't that long on the scale of most real cadences.