Boldly Going: A History of an American Space Station

Oh I see, well in that case, I have a mild fascination with Small country space flight programs, especially since I come from the only country on Earth that gave up independent launch capacity. But no, I'm into the plans of Yugoslavia, Japan and other small nations. And I'm also fascinated by well Austro-Hungary, and since it never had a space program, well its fun to speculate what a surviving empire could've done space-wise.
I sometimes get into a mess in my life, such as it is, that I am writing long involved replies to this or that TL I admire very much, and fall days behind, then I get burned out on showing my face wherever I have unfinished business...and so wind up putting off catching up to a good TL I like a lot for weeks or months, often to my great sorrow for missing out on something fantastic.

So it is with me and @NHBL's quite enjoyable TL.

All this is just to suggest that Austria-Hungary was no small power in OTL 1876--in terms of sheer area it was of course one of the largest; in terms of per capita wealth--considerably lower in rank versus much smaller but richer nations--in terms of geopolitical importance somewhere between, hitting above its weight in economic terms though perhaps below in area terms.

For some strange reason I quite enjoy TLs where AH survives intact, at least if it liberalizes and has leftist types in the mix somewhere. Certainly one could put up with a lot of reactionary nonsense, up to a point anyway, and count it a fair trade for avoiding the sorts of bloodbaths is OTL breakup were followed by, and less pessimistically the place has some positive potentials. My preferred ATL sequence is the CP winning the Great War early before too much carnage has been done, then I figure the German Empire would prop up the AH imperium in some form for "one stop shopping" in terms of hegemonizing southeast Europe in a soft Mitteleuropa, and I assume sooner or later it "catches" as a developing power, a major investment center for German capital, the Social Democrats are in and out of power and championing multicultural kludges sidestepping the nationalistic turmoil of OTL, and we get acceptance if not embrace of non-German, non-Magyar people with talent. A lot of that is OTL actually; despite the mess the Great War settlement made a whole lot of the brilliant pioneers of the US nuclear project and other high tech stuff were expatriates from this or that fragment of the old Empire. So, sustain it, let it develop a bit (not necessarily evenly), let humane considerations prevail politically and legally sometimes anyway, and by the mid-20th century or by the end of it anyway Austria-Hungary might be a really Great Power--probably no way to surpass such giants as China, Russia, the USA, the legacy of the British Empire, and possibly not a Germany that avoids reaping the reckoning it did OTL, but anyway a peer of France, perhaps indeed a peer of a Germany even stronger than the modern OTL Federal Republic. Perhaps a peer of any two Western European great powers nations taken together.

It would be a lot less quaint for such an AH to have a space program you see. I do wonder where their launch site would be--in the above boilerprate CP Victory scenario, the logical thing is for AH to be pretty much joined at the hip with Germany and perhaps also the Ottomans, and for the space program to be launching from the coast of German East Africa. AH by herself is unlikely to get any colonies or keep them in the latter half of the 20th century, so an all AH space program would be stuck with AH geography, meaning nowhere conventional wisdom says is ideal for a launch site. They'd have to be launching overland, which has its advantages, but also drawbacks.

Meanwhile NHBL is going to have human spaceflight--not settled when yet, last time I looked, but a heck of a lot earlier than 1961. Probably not as early as 1920, but it has to evolve to fine it down. The situation and mentality of space flight would be quite different than the OTL Cold War period; the AH space program might be some militaristic thing straight out of an English melodrama, or it could be off on some tangent again best found in romantic fiction of OTL.

I sometimes get into a mess in my life, such as it is, that I am writing long involved replies to this or that TL I admire very much, and fall days behind, then I get burned out on showing my face wherever I have unfinished business...and so wind up putting off catching up to a good TL I like a lot for weeks or months, often to my great sorrow for missing out on something fantastic.
Glad you're coming out of the mess; there's a lot of that going around!

One option for a middle rank Austria-Hungary would be to buy/lease somewhere suitable for a spaceport, so long as it's not TOO far away, perhaps paying with the smaller nation's getting some of the benefits, including a ride at some point.
(And I'll shut up rather than derail this any further.)

Glad you're coming out of the mess; there's a lot of that going around!

One option for a middle rank Austria-Hungary would be to buy/lease somewhere suitable for a spaceport, so long as it's not TOO far away, perhaps paying with the smaller nation's getting some of the benefits, including a ride at some point.
(And I'll shut up rather than derail this any further.)

My fault, an innocuous joke based off a misunderstanding.

It's a valid possible architecture, though by the time you got done fitting the S-IVB for the required endurance and revamping Apollo, you'd pretty much have a new spacecraft and a pretty heavily modified stage. You'd also have to carry the mass of the S-IVB-to-Apollo adapter, which was an extra 4,000 lbs (https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_18-19_Ground_Ignition_Weights.htm).

Not necessarily—in this set-up, presumably the LM is still capable of taking axial loads through its docking port (it had to for LOI, after all), so maybe you can throw away the adapter panels and dock before TLI. Was there ever consideration given to docking with the LM before TLI, and flying eyeballs-out to the Moon?

It’s not the worst idea I’ve ever seen, this TKS-Apollo.

Sea Dragon is a beast of a rocket, but the payload and the oft-quoted costs for pound/kilo delivered to low orbit are based on a few conditions:

1. Sea Dragon is going to launch between 10 and twenty times per year, every year, for a decade.
  2. Each launch launch takes maximum advantage of all of the possible payload to a very low orbit
  3. The development program that is outlined doesn't run over budget (and it was estimated to cost about the same as what the shuttle development program ended up costing).

I think that getting 1 and 2 at the same time is going to be hard. I'd note that for the Space Shuttle, the marginal flight cost (that is the cost increase of flying one extra flight beyond what is already manifested) was only around 50-100m USD (in 1990 numbers), and the orbiter could lift 60k lbm to LEO, which gives a marginal cost to LEO of about 830 to 1770 USD/ lbm, which is absurdly low, and ignores the costs of maintaining the entire program (about a billion a year or so). Lots of the Sea Dragon numbers use similar accounting to make the rocket look good.
Hard to say what the price per kilo would be. A lot will depend on who is running the space trucking business.
In the longer-term capacity a payload of 550 tonnes per launch, will be useful for very useful for sustaining a large space programme.

Last edited:
Boldly Going Part 11

>snip<

These plans were fairly advanced by 1989 and had developed significant support within both American and international agencies and governing bodies. It was anticipated that only the station core’s launch delayed formal support from the White House. ESA had gone so far as to shape decisions about their independent human spaceflight plans around Enterprise requirements. In order to be ready for a role as a space station lifeboat. After extended and contentious debate, ESA had decided against the French “Hermes” spaceplane proposal as their primary crew vehicle. Instead,in 1987 they had selected an Italian design for a “Multi-Role Recovery Capsule,” based heavily on the British “Multi-Role Recovery Capsule” proposal of the same name. The capsule was anticipated to serve as a “cheap and cheerful” solution to the combined mission of an Enterprise lifeboat and independent crew vehicle capable of launching on their existing Ariane 44L lifter. In a sop to French pride wounded by selecting an Italian implementation of a British concept over the wishes of the French space agency, CNES, France was approved to build both the new Ariane 5 launch vehicle and a logistics vehicle capable of fully utilizing it, and would also supply the thermal protection system for the new MRRC. While ESA would have preferred to have both the capsule and the more ambitious spaceplane, the switch to the less ambitious capsule as the sole crew vehicle for Europe would reduce costs and free up budget for the assumed-imminent Enterprise laboratory modules. Japan was likewise conducting advanced studies on their planned laboratory module. Thus, even by 1989 international partners had begun to shape their future space programs around assumptions for Space Station Enterprise’s utilization and growth. Bush’s refocus of NASA’s priorities on the moon threw these plans into jeopardy and led to massive international confusion.

Art by @nixonshead

::::sigh:::: No, no, no just NO you all got the wrong design for the Italian capsule. It's THIS one:
(http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/excursion.php#id--CIRA/AAS_EAGLE)
1611770452437.png

or how are we going to end up with "EAGLES" flying to the moon by 1999? C'mon folks you need to keep an eye on the "Big Picture" here :)

Randy

Not necessarily—in this set-up, presumably the LM is still capable of taking axial loads through its docking port (it had to for LOI, after all), so maybe you can throw away the adapter panels and dock before TLI. Was there ever consideration given to docking with the LM before TLI, and flying eyeballs-out to the Moon?

It’s not the worst idea I’ve ever seen, this TKS-Apollo.
If people don't mind more off topic though related stuff, wasn't the original Apollo concept, before JFK's "We Choose To Go To the Moon" speech when NASA was expecting a slow steady evolution for a vehicle that might go as far as Lunar flyby or conceivably braking into Lunar orbit, with no thought of landing there, and then the concept--well one I've seen illustrated anyway--was indeed sort of TKS like though without the docking port provision?

That is, crew would ride up and down in a conical reentry module, but on orbit open a heat shield hatch to an orbital module providing expanded hab/lab space which might be called part of the service module, with more concentration of SM contents, presumably the stuff less compatible with life support, beyond the rear bulkhead. But some of what went in the SM on actual flown Apollo is within the habitable middle section.

Now I think I can bring it back to topic with a suggestion for a combined docking/thruster module.

Indeed everyone's replies show where I was badly mistaken in believing we have no +Z thrust available; the critical thing is the judgement that the hypergolic exhaust plumes are weak and concentrated enough that even the forward nose cluster blasts, being angled 30 degrees out and offset from the tank, will blow past the ET with little impingement and provide the full control thrust an Orbiter has. Cosine loss is low at 30 degrees and is offset by the fact that sometimes one might want an intermediate angle thrust too. I didn't appreciate how far the Orbiter overhangs past the rear of the ET either. (Though I was also concerned about impingement on the Orbiter tail stuff, the SSMEs themselves and other things there--one of those, the central body flap, is gone on SSE of course. Obviously that impingement could not be too bad or the Orbiters would have had trouble. It just wasn't clear to me how this could be compatible with protecting the OMS pod rears from plasma heating during reentry. Engine nozzles are quite heat tolerant of course or they'd melt in regular operation).

So, given the full 6 axis capability of the Orbiter not being blocked by the ET remaining mounted, we still have an issue--the thrusters were designed for an Orbiter alone, not for an attached additional mass, which throws the center of mass off and of course increases the total inertia and moments of inertia the whole system must control. The latter is just a matter of firing the thrusters at higher throttle for longer, which in the short run is just a matter of providing refueling more often. In the longer run--the thrusters have limited firing lifespans, and must eventually fail and be replaced, but that might be far enough in the future that the original Orbiter based set gets replaced with a newfangled set of thrusters elsewhere--and if it is desirable to retain the central thruster sets, I suppose by that late date spacewalking to detach the old stuff and attach a new set might be possible.

Meanwhile, future-proofing is a concern. The obvious first step in expansion into the ET is to fill the forward LOX tank, and that will result in the most gross shifting of the center of mass, "down" the Z axis toward the ET centerline and forward quite a lot. Looking at the various renders, the nose of the Orbiter is approximately at the same station along the ET length as the Intertank ring, thus all mass added into the LOX volume will be forward of the entire Enterprise hull. I estimate about 60 tonnes will ultimately be installed there, and that pulls the CM forward to be nearly in line with the nose cluster. The moment arm of Z thrusts in either direction will be nearly zero at that point. That's still OK, it just means that the OMS set will be managing the pitch torques and the nose set will have to counter their Z thrusts to avoid translation acceleration, whereas when translation without pitch change is desired, the nose set is preferred since its set thrusts nearly through the CM, with the OMS set providing light trim to null out the pitch torque.

And once the LOX tank is full and expansion into the hydrogen tank is necessary, if we get that far (TL foreshadowing suggests we certainly will) adding more mass there certainly will shift the CM aftward again. It will also further shift it ventrally on the Z axis, meaning that X axis thrust (which is most needed, against station drag) will be offset and some trimming to counter torque will have to accompany these thrusts.

My favored solution of building side trusses on the former SRB attachments then putting new thruster sets on the tips of these beams still seems good to me. But obviously there will be some expansion dorsally by attaching modules to the Leonardo port and Tinkertoying them from there. The 1991 Orbiter Derived SS Freedom paper shows what looks to me like a Mir sort of snowflake station attached to the station Orbiter--I believe we should anticipate rather less than shown there, but maybe that full expansion or something beyond is planned. And we have the single ventral port on the ET that Atlantis docked to on the first mission. Ventral expansion is also possible. I do worry that the ET is not designed to have major masses hanging off the ventral side and would be much happier with the idea if the side trusses were made and some kind of arch or ring around the outside of the Intertank, and some sort of bridge trusses between the tips of the side trusses completed the "table". These would reinforce against reaction forces caused by the ventral cluster that might develop, giving us points to brace against without cutting into the ET.

This table would also perhaps address how we could dock a second ET to the first--if the new ET has a similar set of reinforcements added on orbit, just docking at the intertank ring station with some bridging trusses at distant ends should be pretty solid.

But meanwhile, while I am skeptical we actually need much growth in the Z direction with added modules, I suppose there will be some. The more stuff we stack that way, the more drag the station has. And the added masses, especially if we do all or most growth on one side or the other, shift the CM more. Dorsal growth could offset the shift of the CM away from the thrust X axis I worried about and indeed extensive dorsal growth would shift it the other way.

So here's my thought about adding docking extensions--generally speaking, we want to offset the incoming Orbiters and other possible visiting spacecraft away from the station core, for a variety of clearance issues. (Against that--it is nice to snug them in closer to the core, both for stronger thrusting to adjust the orbit and trim, and to shorten logistic paths. Visiting craft will tend to be delivering heavy items and sometimes removing them. But I think it is clear that overall the need to keep them outward will prevail against considerations to draw them inward).

Meanwhile--any growth along the Z axis gives us both new headaches, and new opportunities for attitude control and anti-drag thrust. Basically, we would want new thruster stations (to either supplement or as an alternative to my ET tank centered cluster table idea) out on the tips. There, they efficiently provide strong control moments, and also pretty automatically offset the higher drag the towers they are set on create, lowering the burden on the central body to remain in pretty much the same standard ballpark.

So we want the docking ports for visiting Orbiters about the same places we also want a thruster cluster. These seem antagonistic to each other--though actually, with an Orbiter docked right on the dorsal or ventral thruster set, we can shut this down while it is docked since now the Orbiter can provide all the thrusts needed during the visit. One scary thing remains--until the day when some entirely new kind of thruster, be it a "greener/safety" propellant alternative like kerosene-peroxide or plain old ker-lox or meth-lox, which will require similar propellant masses since Isp remains in the same ballpark, or some kind of electric thruster such as xeon Hall thrusters, debuts (which will bring its own problems as the legacy hypergol distribution lines get bypassed but probably need to be kept operational during a transition period before they can be fully replaced) I'm talking about docking an Orbiter next to a potential bomb and severe biochemical hazard. Hydrazine and N2O4/nitric acid oxidizer mixes are nasty stuff, aside from their separate instability as monopropellants and their combined hypergolic reaction.

I've tried to visualize a suitable thruster/dock layout.

First of all we don't need or want thrust along the tower axis, which here I am visualizing as Z axis thrust. Probably. The central layout, even just sticking to Enterprise's built in thrusters, is probably adequate and adding Z axis towers adds to the mass burden but does not put much of a premium on thrusters mounted on the tips. Mind we could have them, simply shutting them down when a docking craft approaches, they put a compression load on the tower but that should not be a problem. But we can do without too.

What we want is X and Y pairs. The X pair, especially the unit thrusting forward against drag, is most important, as the tower extensions raise the moment of inertia in pitch and roll; by putting new thrusters at the tip we most efficiently get pitch authority. The Y pair doesn't have the anti-drag role but is equally valuable in offsetting increased roll moment of inertia with efficient moment arm in roll torque. Thus we could get by just fine with 4 thrusters.

Until we have Shuttle C to lift really heavy monoblock loads, what we have available in the way of modules is units similar in dimensions to Spacelab of OTL--cylinders filling the Shuttle cargo bays. Supposing we have such a cylinder. Imagine we inscribe a square in the circular cross section; if the radius of the cylinder is 1, the sides of the square will be root 2, about 1.41 etc. The total cylinder cross section area is pi, minus 2 for the inscribed square, leaving 1.15 (minus a bit) in the form of four half-lens shapes which at their thickest are 0.28 units across. Each such half lens has area 0.29.

To fuel a thruster set, we use the half lenses as propellant tanks. We can't use their full cross section area because high pressure tanks cannot have sharp corners! Nor is the straight inner face a good idea; a linear slab can be a pressure wall but it would be heavy. If we bulge it in a little bit, we intrude into the central square corridor--we don't want to do too much of that, but every bit we can get away with does increase propellant storage volume, while enabling some lightening of the inner slab. We manage the corners with thick cylinder sections to bear the pressure in a small radius, then the outer curve bears the pressure with more reasonable wall thickness. If I am not mistaken, the propellant tanks are actually bladders with helium filling the rest, we can either squeeze the propellants toward the corners with a central conformal helium bladder or have a central fuel bladder with helium pressing in from the corners.

This leaves a nearly square central corridor, cross section area 2 or less depending on how far in the inner slabs curve. The O/F ratio of the hypergolic thruster mix was adjusted back when Orbiter was designed in the '70s to make the volumes of each component equal, so the hydrazine and oxidant tanks have identical shape. If we station the two fuel tanks opposite each other and thus the two oxidant tanks also opposite and provide cross connections (outside the air-filled central square corridor, obviously!) to maintain both corresponding tanks with the same masses of propellant and helium, we maintain mass symmetry.

Such a structure would be quite strong, between the necessary heaviness of the inner slabs of tanks and their being pressurized.

So assuming that expansion focuses initially on colonizing the LOX tank, and we put off building anything ventrally and dorsally, the easiest first step is to install one of these at Leonardo's aft expansion port, to offset the docking of future Orbiters. Obviously whenever an Orbiter docks there it can top off propellant and helium pressure directly. We should also have cross connects to the Enterprise system installed. This is easy because the station end of the docking/thruster assembly is right there at the rear of the cargo bay, right next to OMS pod central.

To dock one at the ventral port is trickier because we want cross connects to the Enterprise central fuel system. I hope no one suggests running these lines through the intertank within the ET! We'd have to put some kind of exterior ring around the outside of the intertank, but I don't think that is terribly problematic, it could be an entirely inflatable set. Once such a connection exists and is spliced into the forward nose cluster feeds, we are good to go, and it will be easy to extend lines fore and aft along my proposed side trusses to my proposed thruster table later too.

If we decide later to expand dorsally or ventrally with more modules, we just detach the docking/thruster/corridor module, insert the new module, and redock the proposed standard docking offset/thruster module on top, extending the connection lines as needed. As the station grows, the thruster/dock units are being pushed farther and farther out, thus automatically increasing moment arm for more torque. We are not automatically increasing anti-drag thrust as the drag rises, but this is a matter of firing the +X thrusters more often.

With the actual thrust rockets attached at the end where an Orbiter docks, it should be relatively easy, if we design them for easy removal and replacement, for a visiting Orbiter to swap in new rockets and haul the EOL units down to Earth for examination and disposal--or it might be possible to toss them out after deorbiting but before atmosphere entry to let them burn up in the atmosphere. (Such units might be massive and heat resistant enough to survive entry as molten chunks and conceivably kill someone or sink a boat, so perhaps throwing them out as trash is a no no).

If the tanks are going to leak, it is most likely they will crack on the outside first, since the inner walls are so thick and strong. Therefore we might get away with simply making them the inner walls of the corridor, but at some further sacrifice of corridor space and overall launch mass, we could run an inner sheath of some kind to safeguard against toxic leaks. If it is going to fail and blow for some reason, again the volume is weakest on the outside and it would blast out there, whereas the docking ports are strong and unlikely to be damaged. We just make sure we don't leave the docking doors open unnecessarily and remove a failed unit with the Canadarm, and splice in a new one from Earth.

I still have to look at the actual dimensions of a module suitable to bring up on an Orbiter to see what sort of masses of propellant we might store this way and how adequate the inner square air corridor would be versus the width of the docking ports. We might have to resort to tricks like making the propellant tanks inflatable, or the idea might just be bad.

Some interesting thoughts, @Shevek23 . An interesting point, of course, is how much balanced thrust matters for space stations (or doesn't!). Much like ISS (or KSP) large Control Moment Gyroscopes can be used for most reorientation, and reboost will likely be confined as much as possible to visiting orbiter's thrusters to keep time off Enterprise's systems. However, the question of where and how Enterprise's pressurized volume, power generation, radiators, and other primary systems might be expanded is an interesting one we'll be touching on in the next few posts!

Of course it occurs to me after writing all that that with two Orbiter launches we could design a compound unit made of two Orbiter loads, a dedicated and safe corridor docking extension and then piggy-back a separate dedicated hypergol fuel tank unit, my intuition says bracket it onto the corridor module in the -X direction, out of the "wind" from the station's nose-forward orbital attitude. We would still have some thrusters (well, one, the -X thruster nozzle facing into the "wind") on the docking corridor, but it would be inert until the tank unit with the other three thrusters attached arrives. This would allow simpler and lighter propellant tanks and a possible helium tank separating them to be simple cylinders with hemispheric caps, holding considerably more volume and mass of propellant.

Flipping it around, if we don't mind the corridor being a flimsy inflatable thing, we might be able to include it in a single launched module, now it is the corridor that goes in the lee. Later launches, or a previous one, can supply Whipple shield panels to erect around the corridor, which helps with thermal management of the corridor too.

Some interesting thoughts, @Shevek23 . An interesting point, of course, is how much balanced thrust matters for space stations (or doesn't!). Much like ISS (or KSP) large Control Moment Gyroscopes can be used for most reorientation, and reboost will likely be confined as much as possible to visiting orbiter's thrusters to keep time off Enterprise's systems. However, the question of where and how Enterprise's pressurized volume, power generation, radiators, and other primary systems might be expanded is an interesting one we'll be touching on in the next few posts!
As the station grows, however it grows, its drag will increase. We need some thrusters working, or anyway capable of working, to maintain orbit. I presume design has to allow for the possibility that Orbiter launches might be suspended with crew stranded on the station, or even a whole Orbiter load of them suffering what Discovery suffered, damaged TPS. The station can only be safe harbor for Orbiters with the delta-V to get to SSE's inclination and altitude of course, but odds are fair it can be done. My speculation as to the standard maximum crew capacity for sustained operations in normal conditions is pretty conservative, based on power generation and the reflection that Orbiter launches will not be terribly frequent, probably 8 times a year as OTL, and only some of those launches are for Enterprise operations, others are free flyers for other missions. Say my guesstimate of 14 is low, and crew is more like 21, plus three visiting flight crew for an Orbiter when one is docked, and we add another 8 to these 24 for 32. Even with just the LOX tank in use for hab/lab they won't be crowded. The issue would be vital supplies. CO2 scrubbers would go first except I suppose SSE involves developing reusable scrubbers. Check. Then breathing oxygen, but it would not be hard to have lots of that in stock. Check. Power is solar so a certain power budget is always available without limit, fine. Water can be recovered from human exhalations as our bodies metabolize food and oxygen into excess water, we don't even have to look into recycling urine, though that is doable too, so food becomes the hard limit. If there are plans to ship up food in such emergencies, stranded crew can wait out long holds on American crew launch capacity, also it might be possible to rely on European, Japanese, Chinese or Soviet/Russian capsules being sent up uncrewed and docked by remote control to give at least some of the 32 the chance to return to Earth and lower burdens on life support for the rest. (The Russians probably can't send an empty Soyuz to SSE, though they might be able to from Russian launch sites, but setting up to launch Soyuz from Kourou is possible, or Cape Canaveral for that matter. Your posts have mentioned the European capsule program, so perhaps I should just strike Soyuz and the Russians from the list and focus on those European things out of Kourou.

In such a circumstance, with a couple dozen or more crew stuck aboard SSE for perhaps a year or more, the station had better be able to maintain altitude!

And reaction wheel/gyro systems can jam or otherwise break down. I like the use of such systems, in fact given the basic problem of maintaining attitude on a metastable axis, I suppose fluctuations that need to be corrected will be chaotic and as likely to go one way as the other so the major control load will be desaturating itself for the most part, cutting the net accumulation down to a filtered drift. Yaw and roll perturbations seem as likely to be either way so the gyro system won't require a great deal of desaturation. When it works, great. Someday it might not work, then we need strong reaction jet control until it can be fixed.

Another thing worth remembering, if we are building along the Z axis, dorsally, ventrally or both, is that the more mass we shift out of the XY plane, the higher the negative feedback tidal torque is, which offsets the positive feedback metastable tendency of the station as currently laid out to tumble out of orientation, thus saving the number of attitude maintenance thrusts we need. Drag rises, but we have this offsetting consideration. Building mass into the LOX tank will skew the metastable X axis to an angle to the station nominal X axis, thus to stay in metastable balance the attitude will be skewed and drag area increased. The easiest way to bring it back would be if our dorsal tower were forward, off the intertank ring, but alas Leonardo's port is way aft. While if we build ventrally from the ventral port, the axis is pretty far forward, the intertank ring being about 1/4 of the way from the nose (or 1/3 bearing in mind the nose is pointed). The result of doing both would be to have the mass X axis diagonal to the hull shape axis.

One thing we could do--dock a module to Leonardo parallel to it, lying just "above" it in the frame of the Orbiter, securing the end near Enterprise built in habitation, and have a second port on the dorsal side above the estimated X location of the center of mass projected for the station. Similarly though with more difficultly we could shift the ventral axis of growth aft by putting a suitable module at the ventral ET port. Securing its aft end would have to involve some sort of new truss, running I might think as a half circle arch to the hoped for side trusses. Once there, if secured strongly enough, we have two towers each growing where we expect the CM to settle, somewhat aft of Enterprise's nose I guess.

But we'd have to add a lot of modules to totally nullify the pitching moment. The resulting towers would have fairly high drag. That's OK if we can keep raising the control.

...However, the question of where and how Enterprise's pressurized volume, power generation, radiators, and other primary systems might be expanded is an interesting one we'll be touching on in the next few posts!

Looking forward to that!

I might as well toss out how I've been thinking about it.
Volume--where and how to grow. Obviously I favor using the ET volume to the greatest degree as soon as possible. Versus the OTL Orbiter alone system, the tank brings liabilities of higher drag and mass, we should start benefiting to leverage those costs ASAP. Since I've harped on the wisdom of using the tank volume and avoiding module expansion, let me acknowledge the drawbacks!
a)With space experiments, isolation is often desirable. One experiment will be doing things that might interfere with another. With lots of separate modules, managing this is easier. Against that, I think I already mentioned the idea of using the tail end of the ET as a large ultrahard vacuum volume. I didn't realize when I was suggesting that that the hydrogen tank bottom already has an inspection hatch built in, so the idea of using the tail end of the tank as an EVA hangar seems pretty good. If the inspection hatch is narrow for an EVA suited astronaut (and still worse if someone else in an EVA suit is trying to bring an injured spacewalker in to safety) then perhaps we should put an inflatable EVA cabin back there, that can gradually depressurize by replacing full pressure air with low pressure pure oxygen, allowing EVA crews to decompress for EVA in a shirtsleeves setting, with an inflatable airlock added on to that. Though actually EVA is supposed to be out of Leonardo's tail end, adding a new airlock in the same general zone is probably not a great idea.

Anyway, if we do all the lab work that happens in normal atmosphere within either tank, they are all more liable to interfere.
b) proofing against major catastrophe. We know from Mir experience that breakdowns and mishaps in space stations are no remote possibility and no joke. With Mir's dissected structure it was at least possible to abandon specific modules and seal them off, or vent them. But what if at some intermediate stage of operations, essentially everything is happening in the LOX tank? (It won't be, we still also have Leonardo and Enterprise's built in hab section from the get go even if we have nothing else, and surely something is going onto Leonardo's expansion port real soon. OK anyway say half or more of everything, habitation and lab work, is in the LOX tank). And something bad happens--a fire for instance.

Clearly leaving the LOX tank one big room is not going to work. We need to partition it. How? Obviously any partitions should be fireproof, I am not sure how one accomplishes that without introducing other hazards. Asbestos panels would be nicely fireproof but we know better than to subject the free fall crew to breathing asbestos dust! Kevlar is essentially the rich man's asbestos, it has similar fire resistance and heat tolerance, and I suppose it poses similar hazards if little flakes or dust of it come off. Fiberglass won't burn (well I guess anything will if hot enough and exposed to enough oxygen concentration, but it is pretty well fireproof anyway) but little flakes of it, little broken off strands, would hurt whoever breathes it much as would asbestos. I imagine NASA had some pretty good solutions already.

The partitions should be sound-attenuating and thermally insulating too I suppose. Thermal management of the tanks I suspect is best done primarily by blowing in cool cleaned air, and removing stale warmed air, with forced draft circulation of some kind. Not only do we want to change the air and cool it down probably (we might need to warm it up instead, especially in early days) but in free fall exhaled carbon dioxide would accumulate around an immobile person's head; people would die of hypoxia and CO2 poisoning in their sleep. One needs to blow the air around so there are no still pockets. A single blower pumping suitably cooled air in would probably not cut it but several valves in the right place might serve. But if we cut the tank up into pockets, each one needs its own circulation, both input fresh air and removal by suction.

I am thinking each crew member should have a tiny rack, 5 cubic meters, they sleep on one side under a net or straps and have the rest of the space for limited motion and privacy, and should be able to adjust temperature and humidity as they see fit within a certain range. The rest of habitation is common spaces, but under this catastrophe proofing consideration, they all need fast evacuation routes out of a given major pressure space. Compartmentalization can slow the spread of hazards and buy time but it cannot guarantee long term safety. If the crew all sleep in the ET LOX tank, their only way out of that, in current configuration, is via a single narrow hatch.

I am very very leery of making new cuts in the ET structure for a variety of reasons, structural and because sawing through the materials is likely to create dust hazards hard to contain in free fall. But I do think some kind of second way out of the ET nose section is needed, and the obvious place is the nose tip. Ideally a docking port for an escape vehicle should be provided there, and better yet have this atop some kind of corridor that leads to some other habitable space. Earlier I suggested building a tunnel to the Enterprise built in side hatch, not realizing that the Intertank Ring is so close to the nose of the orbiter and in fact ahead of it, and that therefore the built in transfer tunnel to the Enterprise forward habitation set is already in place. (I thought intertank ring access was via a port in Leonardo). A long tunnel back from the nose tip of the ET to the side hatch, which can also have a second airlock and perhaps decompression porch branching off this access, seems in order--and this would give crew sealing off Leonardo due to a fire or the like there a direct route to a nose mounted escape vehicle that need not divert through the intertank and LOX tank volume.

If we had the side trusses and extended them forward along the LOX ET nose in an arc, attached to any installed hardpoints there, we'd have a nose structure to attach the cut out nose hatch and escape vehicle dock to, and an anchor for the bridge to the Orbiter hatch.

My notion is that the LOX tank should be dedicated to crew habitation, that we pack all the crew racks into rings opening onto corridors giving ready access to the intertank ring, and have common crew volume for recreation, hanging out, eating and infirmary equipment forward of the crew spaces, everything laid out to give easy and fast access to the nose hatch, and that we initially treat the hydrogen tank as space for all kinds of lab work. It already has a tail escape hatch, which should have at least an emergency ingress/egress air lock, a second crew escape vehicle parked there, air inflated corridors perhaps back to whatever is docked to Leonardo. If we do a lot of dorsal building, we should take care to always have two paths in or out of any inhabited module and a third escape vehicle as an alternative to an Orbiter that might not be in dock, and similarly any ventral build should have the same considerations.

The hydrogen tank as noted is where tank installed lab racks should be from the get go. If we build lab installations from the tail forward, we counter the shift of CM due to filling up the nose tank--both by slowing the buildup of rack installation there, and shifting the lab work masses as far aft as possible. Persons who might be trapped by containment measures in the rear can hope to escape out the tail hatch, if not to an escape vehicle than to external installed light corridors back forward to the dorsal or ventral ports. Initially crew will enter the cavernous space and find nothing but fireproof tensioned gripping lines to cross to the rear lab zone, partitioned off with a movable heavy containment curtain. As station work expands that curtain comes forward, or a new one is installed to subdivide the lab zone; each cylinder section can be radially subdivided by radial curtains to segment the volume into separate compartments. Here we won't generally need soundproofing or temperature control, wherever a given experiment requires this, we use thicker curtains. Before we can fill the rear tank, the empty forward space can be used for exercise or other ad hoc purposes, and an escape route to the intertank ring should be adequate.

Anyone in the hydrogen tank is presumably alert and able to respond rapidly to any alarms and mission planning will have drilled them as to their escape paths. The LOX tank is more critical as this is where tired people and sleeping people will generally be and in general everyone is relaxed and off their A game there.

I feel justified in bringing up escape craft both because others have, and because the OTL 1991 ODSSF paper provided for one (taken over from other Freedom plans) and indeed we have had hints about the European crew vehicle, which might well be repurposed into modules launched uncrewed and perhaps not fully supplied that could be designed to sit for years on standby drawing off modest amounts of station power. Of course I just suggested four where the '91 plan thought one would be plenty.

But there is more to discuss spinning off your post that is not related, and this subject deserves a post of its own. Suffice it to say that guesstimating as many as 32 people might be stuck on SSE without being able to return by Orbiter, 4 escape vehicles each capable of holding 8 people (exactly the spec in the OTL Orbiter-alone station plan) is hardly excessive! Capacity should be greater than crew as some people might be stuck unable to get to a vehicle with room for them. Then again, it should not be too hard for escape vehicles to be able to maneuver and redock elsewhere, so an empty one cut off by a failure on its access path should be able to move over to pick up excess refugees when a full one vacates its port. More than 4 might be excessive.

c)--positive cases for added Orbiter bay modules, and possible large modules shipped up by Shuttle C--some experiments will want amenities that won't be easily provided in the common tank atmosphere. Suppose we want to use direct sunlight for some purpose; we want the module where that is to be mounted to get it. Since the station is rotating over its orbit, and the axis it rotates about runs in the Y direction, port and starboard, and ideally would be perpendicular to the plane the Sun seems to revolve in, but in real life this is tricky. I believe if the station were in an equatorial orbit, zero inclination, the Y axis would remain aligned with Earth's rotational axis, but obviously with Earth being tilted 23 degrees relative to the normal of the ecliptic plane, we get the same seasons Earth gets, and the cylinder surface of a module parallel to the Y axis would see the sun apparently oscillating from solstice to solstice, only at the equinoxes would we get the ideal illumination revolving around the cylinder. I am not sure I correctly visualize how the 39 degree inclination relative to Earth's axis complicates this, but I believe it would end up involving a precession of the orbital axis relative to Earth's over a period of many years, and relative to the ecliptic, the inclination would oscillate between +62 and -16 over those years. (The orbit would always remain 39 degrees relative to Earth's axis).

I have several ideas what we might want direct solar illumination to do in various experiments, but plainly step one is to get the module outside the ET.

Other things we might want to mess around with include experiments involving the ultra-hard vacuum in the station wake--this is a bonus of this station design that large volumes are compactly consolidated to make a particularly large "wake." (The OMS +Z axis thrusters will tend to contaminate the wake zone right behind the ET, maybe we can either shield the experiment zone or shut them down in favor of other thrusters elsewhere). For this we don't actually want a separate module, we want a porch of some kind attached right behind the ET. Similarly for experiments measuring the effect of full on atmospheric impact, we want them mounted on another porch in front of the ET.

As I've noted if we make long and massive enough booms along the Z axis, we nullify the tidal potential that the gyros and thrusters are always fighting to keep the station oriented. Make them longer, with more mass more distant from the CM in those directions, and we get natural tidal stabilization, at the price of higher drag of course.

I've proposed a way to get a centrifuge bio-lab inside the ET, in rather severe circumstances to be sure especially for human investigators within the thing. We might instead send up two modules, or one payload of two half-modules, with a rigid truss to separate them a bit, and set these spinning for a dumbbell centrifuge lab, outside on another boom presumably composed of Legoed-together modules. The obvious axis for these would be parallel to the station spin axis, that is the Y axis, which puts them in the same plane (or more or less Z offset) as the solar panels. Or we could mount it on a Z axis boom, but that will complicate Orbiter and other approaching or receding spacecraft.

By and large though I believe most purposes, even a Lunar gravity bio-centrifuge, can be installed within the ET. (My particular notion of such a centrifuge did involve the section of the ET it spins in to be in vacuum to minimize drag, but I suppose we could spin it within atmosphere and just deal with the drag issues).

Power Generation---I figured the obvious place to install a third upgrade panel set which might be all we ever need to add, would be forward of the existing set, on my proposed SRB mounted trusses, far enough forward so they full clearance versus the installed set. They'd enjoy some Z offset, being mounted astride the ET centerline rather than Enterprise's. Now the trouble with installing two arrays in a line is that as the station pitches over its orbit on the day side, one array will shadow the other. Deploying them farther out on the Y axis would be nice, but I thought that would be mechanically demanding, requiring a heavy cantilever truss for each wing. But then again, noting that it is solar panels that suffer the most from trace reaction engine impingement, we might want to make such a wide Y axis paralleling wing set after all--and perhaps we can get dual use for such long offsetting trusses by installing modules or other operational stuff on them.

Z axis towers with their drawbacks but also benefits could be another place, but then we'd hardly want to have a thruster on their mounting tower or mast, unless we can stretch the tower farther to reduce trace gas impingement by pushing the thruster cluster that much farther out. We would not want to make Orbiters or other visiting craft dock so very far out!

Another idea, probably too far out there for SSE, maybe good for a future station, would be to set up a solar array as a separately orbiting object, say a kilometer or so off, and then use a rotating microwave beam antenna to beam power to the station, and thus require a simpler, lighter yet higher power density receiver which of course must track the solar array free flyer--but in the same orbit, the solar unit would tend to stay in the same relative angle to the station structure; the rectenna picking up the power would only need minor aim tweaking. Over time the separate objects would drift and thus both need to actively maintain their orbits to stay in synch. (Mutual gravitational attraction is part of why they would drift but I suspect very minor compared to other perturbations).

Another approach would be to sacrifice the efficiency of sun-tracking panels and mount them fixed, in planes parallel to the station spin axis, and perhaps tilting them over more limited ranges to track seasonal offsets of the apparent circle of the apparently revolving sun. Say we had six panels, say they are squares. If we could have a truss running across the nose of the ET and another across the tail diameter, we might (foregoing other ideas like mounting an escape capsule there, just mount the solar panel flat, in the YZ plane, and fixed, and the second one similarly on the tail. A third might be mounted over the forward part of Enterprise at 60 degrees from the nose/tail ones, that is 30 degrees to the Z axis, a fourth behind and flipped the other way, and another such pair on the ventral side. Now if the station comes from behind Earth nose first, the nose panel is in full direct sunlight, whereas the two that are forward on dorsal and ventral side are at 60 degrees and thus generate about half full power each, while the other three are in shadow and generate nothing. As we come 30 degrees past "dawn," the dorsal forward panel has dropped to zero power, and the nose panel is at 86 percent, but the ventral forward panel is also at 86 percent, at 60 degrees past it is now the ventral forward panel head on, the ventral rear one has ramped up to 1/2 power and the nose unit has dropped to 1/2. At 90 the two ventral panels deliver 86 percent each, and as we keep going the tail panel powers on and then the dorsal rear. The station goes into shadow with the three rear panels generating power. Thus power fluctuates between 1.72 and 2 full on panel power generation, and if we delete the dorsal panels we have 1.5 at dawn, rising to 1.72 and then to 2 and not dropping below 1.72 until we are 30 degrees away from going into shadow. So for 1/3 an orbit it averages 1.82 panels full on worth, and for 1/6 an orbit (2 1/12 periods that is) 1.61. That works out to 1.75 panels worth for half the orbit, and zero the other half. But of course for our standard array installed, even if it can track the sun for full power all the time in sunlight, half the time it is getting none either, so if each square panel element has the same area as the sun-tracker array does, we generate an additional 1.75 times as much power. Of course we had to install 4 panels, not 1.75, to get that. We can scale the panels down in area to each be 4/7 the area of the legacy sun tracker set, then the mass of solar panel array is 16/7 or just over 2 times the moving array mass, but the panels are rigidly and simply mounted in an arc over the ventral face of the ET, doubling the net power generation. Well, until an Orbiter comes to dock at the ventral port, which probably involves some thrust impingement on the fixed panels and then shadowing the array. There is probably a better way to do this, but I think the point is clear that if we are willing to spend somewhat more than twice as much on panel area and thus mass, but save on complicated, fallible active panel pointing machinery, the trade-off might be worth it. Also I suspect part of what limits solar panel element life is intensity of power generation--that is if we had a panel that was always 60 degrees off direct pointing at the Sun, it would generate only half the power it could, but might last considerably longer, if not quite twice as long. (Solar panels are also subject to being hit by micrometeoroids and thus their useful area gets eroded. This form of deterioration will proceed however lightly the panel is generating).

Heat radiators are somewhat more flexible. At first glance it might seem vital to avoid any sunlight shining on them at all, but this depends on the temperature of the radiator. If the radiator is a lot hotter than the black body temperature of full on sunlight, the solar input is just a minor offset impeding a given rate of heat rejection. The additional solar input raises the temperature necessary to radiate the desired output plus that input, or we can face being able to reject less heat while the sun is impinging on it. At a certain critical radiator temperature this "less" equals zero. But if it can run hotter than that even full solar flux does not limit to zero.

As noted, I suspect the ET being maintained at a standard 295 K will itself serve as a major radiator area.

Another thing worth remembering, if we are building along the Z axis, dorsally, ventrally or both, is that the more mass we shift out of the XY plane, the higher the negative feedback tidal torque is, which offsets the positive feedback metastable tendency of the station as currently laid out to tumble out of orientation, thus saving the number of attitude maintenance thrusts we need.
When did the tendency of a satellite's attitude to change in responce to tidal effects get realized? Was it known in the days before satellites were launched? I never thought of that effect or knew about it until I started reading timelines here?
Would it be thought of in 1876?
(By the way, you have a note)

Regarding partitioning the fuel tank. During my career i did quite a bit of work on inflatable bulkheads and decks. These were for terrestrial use so the loadings were different. By utilising drop stich, Kevlar/Nomex hybrid fabrics we were able to demonstrate on hour fireproof partitions. If inflated with inert gas this figure could be improved. Weight wise such inflatables would probably have no advantage over other options, however if vacuum packed when manufactured their insertion and installation through the inspection port should be rapid and efficient. As I have noted before I am not an engineer or a space expert to please treat this suggestion accordingly.

Part 12: 90-Day Study offers a menu of options for all budgets and priorities
Boldly Going Part 12

President Bush’s Space Exploration Initiative brought with it a new focus on a lunar mission to join NASA’s existing Space Shuttle and Space Station Enterprise programs. With this new objective came questions about how the priority of existing projects might change. Was Enterprise to be left largely behind, diminished to nothing but a waystation for extended Space Shuttle missions? Or was it to be radically retooled, converting the hydrogen tank to full use as well, with a crew of a dozen or more, with European and Japanese participation rendered far less important and perhaps undesired? Proposals, schedules, and budgets along all three lines were considered by the 90-day study team, and their final recommendations formalized these three paths as Option A, Option B, and Options C. Option A was “crew-tended” basic utilization, with no permanent crew, only limited outfitting of the oxygen tank volume, and only a single additional node for visiting Space Shuttles and temporary scientific or logistics modules. Option A would still radically increase Shuttle capabilities, potentially tripling mission durations by running almost all Shuttle power from the station’s 25 kW continuous power supply. This would allow missions to Enterprise to keep crew on orbit for nearly a month at a time. Even as few as six such missions a year could see Enterprise spend almost two-fifths of the year “crew-tended” even with no permanent staff. Experiments could remain on station during the roughly one-month gaps between missions, offering a smooth transition from short-duration Shuttle flights to long-duration Enterprise-augmented missions to stays on orbit measured in months or years, all using the Spacelab Instrument Rack drawer standard. Engineering and launch of all Option A elements was estimated to be possible entirely from American internal resources by 1994, for less than a billion dollar increase in spending beyond the existing Enterprise launch and a $10 billion dollar total program cost for a decade of operations.

Option B would consist of plans along the lines already existing, adding additional solar power generation, Japanese and European labs, the European-built Multi-Role Recovery Capsule (under American terminology, serving as the “Assured Crew Return Vehicle”) and a permanent crew numbering between 6 and 12. It could reach initial operational capacity before the new millenium and perhaps several years sooner, depending on budget profile, but would require a minimum budget of tens of billions in additional research and development. The cost for Option B to even reach full operational configuration was more than Option A required for a decade of service. Over a fifteen year program, Option B would commit NASA to total station expenses (both development and ongoing) of perhaps $40 billion even as they moved forward with lunar and (in the new millenium) Mars planning which would no doubt be hungry for funding.

Option C was the most ambitious, adding several new American lab modules and habitat space for at least a dozen crewmembers as the core for a massively expanded station. The additional crew could be kept busy within hangars which would offer servicing for orbital transfer vehicles for operations around cislunar space, places to repair and refit satellites, and act as berths to assemble and check-out large Mars-bound crewed spacecraft. However, the budget for this would be the most extreme, running to several billion dollars per year with a completion date stretching beyond 2001. Supporting the resulting $150+ billion two-decade-long station program was realistic only if the most optimistic of the 90-day Study’s overall budget profiles was pursued, with multi-billion-dollar increases in the agency’s budget for low-Earth orbit operations alone to avoid cuts in funding of uncrewed exploration, space telescopes, aeronautics research, and perhaps even lunar exploration to pay for such an exorbitant spacecraft.

For the moon, the study developed similar tiers for Congress to consider for selection, Options D, E, and F. For simplicity of explaining the options to Congress and the public, the names for the options were aligned for expansion into descriptions of their intentions. The low-end lunar mission, Option E, was also referred to as “Early Lunar Access” or ELA. ELA consisted of the assembly of two components, each launched by the existing Titan IV and Space Shuttle vehicles, to make for a single small lander. This human landing system would have a cargo capacity sufficient only for either landing two crew on the surface with propellant to return to Earth or sending a payload of 8.5 metric tons on a one-way flight to the moon. Three such landers would land the crew, a tiny habitat module, and a relatively large stationary science array to support roughly two weeks of intensive exploration of the surface. While capable and requiring no new launch vehicle development, this would require six launches and three orbital assembly missions. Though capability could be expanded by landing additional consumables, adding additional crew and growing to a full lunar outpost with derivatives of the system would be essentially impossible given likely launch rates and flight cost. Option E was fast and cheap to develop, running perhaps less than $10 billion, but would yield little more than flags-and-footprints. Worse, the individual missions would require half a dozen large rockets, resulting in an astronomical per-flight cost running as much as $2 billion.

By contrast, Option F represented a wish list unseen since the Integrated Program Plan or Apollo Applications Program. Also called the “First Lunar Outpost” (FLO), Option F would depend on a massive lander capable of delivering dozens of tons of payload to the lunar surface, landing crews of four to six for missions lasting weeks in a single event. This would be enabled by the development of the “Magnum” launcher concept. Magnum was the maximum growth limit of Shuttle-derived future launchers, adding multiple liquid boosters each larger than the existing SRBs on an inline launcher, resulting in more than 200 metric tons of payload to initial Earth parking orbit. A single such mission would exceed the entire scope of the Apollo program's science capability and multiple landers accumulating their payload in one spot would rapidly grow into the aspirational outpost. However, while operational missions could be relatively low-cost for their payload (given they used only one heavy lifter), the upfront development time and cost was exorbitant, running to as much as $40 billion [1] for the complete program through the first landing and initial outpost operations.

Option D had been given the internal name of the “Design Reference Mission,” a basic mission plan from which the other missions could be baselined and to which they could be compared. Drawing inspiration from the Space Station Enterprise launch, this Design Reference Mission would use a sidemount lifter derived directly from existing external tank and SRB hardware for its early launches, with the potential for a growth option using liquid rocket boosters later. This would allow launch vehicle demonstration flights only a year or so behind ELA’s aggressive schedule, with two or three of the relatively low-cost Shuttle-C missions combining to have enough capability to compare well with the FLO option. Though development might cost as much as $20 billion, operational flight costs would be comparable to ELA’s multi-launch missions while being both simpler and more capable. Congress received the 90-day study report on November 20, 1989, and immediately the top-line figures resulted in screeches. If both maximum options were combined, then the next decade and a half of NASA operations could run to more than $200 billion. By contrast, the two least expensive options would combine to a budget of “only” an additional $20 billion, but would amount to abandoning the plans for Space Station Enterprise, throwing away the station NASA had assured Congress they needed for a decade in pursuit of the next shiny objective.

The point could not be avoided that in almost any case the station program would represent a massive fraction of the combined Space Exploration Initiative program budget, unless Option A’s minimal crew-tended station was selected. Even Option B’s concept to execute the planned agreements with Europe and Japan for station expansion paired with the most exhaustive Option F lunar outposts would result in nearly 40% of the combined budget being spent on station expansion and operations even as the remainder executed a major lunar exploration program. Though Congress grumbled about formally authorizing the expenditures for the Option B expansion of Space Station Enterprise, the station had been the program of record for NASA for almost 8 years and the growth plans had been gathering their own inertia inside NASA and on the Hill for at least two years. With NASA’s success launching the station so fresh in everyone’s mind, few in Congress were willing to effectively cancel its utilization.

While Option B was becoming the front-runner for station development, the President’s signature lunar objectives were finding a frostier reception. Democrats in Congress questioned the need for spending perhaps as much as $70 billion dollars on Option F for the establishment of an off-world outpost. The lower-cost Option E was criticized for the level of spending required for execution of any real development and that in spite of being supposedly “Early Lunar Access,” it would reach the lunar surface only a few years sooner than the Design Reference Mission. Additionally, for all the President’s high-minded statements about lunar science and the exploration and development of the lunar surface for the good of humankind, Option E’s ELA system would be severely limited in its exploration capability. With the fate of the lunar program uncertain, Congressional approval of both the lunar and station programs was delayed well into the new year, though limited budget increases were approved for Space Station Enterprise operations and further studies on all options.

ELA painting from "GD Goal: Low-Cost Manned Lunar Missions", AvWeek Jan. 18, 1993

Renders done by JFA for NASA on First Lunar Outpost:

https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/exploration/lunarexploration/html/s92_38477.html

https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/exploration/lunarexploration/html/s92_38479.html

https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/exploration/lunarexploration/html/s92_38475.html

https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/exploration/lunarexploration/html/s92_38476.html

[1] Higher and more realistic than OTL's optimistic project of an HLV for $5 billion, and an entire program through first landing of ~$25 billion From the National Space Society page on the First Lunar Outpost concept.

Edit note: the original version of this post had much larger images inline. I changed that when I realized that these five images total 54 megs, and I didn't want to think of what that was doing to my server. The images themselves are links to the full versions.

Last edited:
Another impressive post; I'm astounded by the research that goes into these.
I had an idea for the future for this timeline:
When the shuttles are nearing replacement age, might one of the surviving craft--if any--be used as the core of a new space station, perhaps in a higher orbit?

Only took me 22 pages to sit down and actually write a post in the thread but here we are.

As cool as station option C sounds, basically outfitting Enterprise to serve as something of an orbital shipyard, I have the feeling that Congress won't take kindly to the price tag or the apparent lack of need for a shipyard in space (bah, what do they know?). Option A is just kind of lame, even if it is dirt cheap, so I'm gonna call that at least part of Option B is what we get going forward. My Magic 8 Ball of Presidential Prediction says that Bush loses in 92 and is replaced by a more internationally minded president keen on leveraging US assets to forge stronger diplomatic ties. Europeans, Japanese and (dare I say it?) Russians providing hardware for and working on Enterprise seems like the way forward to accomplish American space and diplomatic goals.

Lunar stuff is a bit hazier. But the idea of developing an entirely new clean sheet LV to build a moon base seems dumb, even to a space nerd like me. Enterprise has shown that the basic STS stack can put 150 tons into a low orbit, why not just swap out the mangled and converted orbiter for a payload fairing and a boat tail? I can't be sure at this stage, but dual Shuttle-C launches to put a little ELA derived outpost to be visited by two week long sortie missions is what I'm going to call on that front for now. We'll see how the 90s treat the space program.

As for Mars plans, well Enterprise has shown us that converting ETs for use as living space is at least somewhat in the cards, so I think there's only one option for the application of that knowledge for Mars purposes ;)
muSBCHu.png

Good work so far lads, okay back to my hidey hole to go lurking again.

Sounds like options B and D are going to be chosen. Maybe it'll be called the BD Space Mission.

Curious about those liquid-fuel boosters. How much more or less likely are they than Five-Segment Booster (FSB as it was called at this time)? And I once did back-of-envelope math and found that you could add one barrel section to each tank on the ET (stretch the hydrogen tank backwards, similar to ACC, and the LOX tank forward) and get a good deal of additional performance. Maybe that can be done going forward.

Of course, if they want to use LH2 stages for the lunar program, they'll also need a wider cargo carrier.

The B/D combo is my ideal, and it sounds like Congress might be convinced of the same. Having the 90-day report provide options, with clear cost/benefit projections, was an excellent way to get opinions to change.
I particularly like how you can sum up each option as 'here's how we'd want to do it; here's how we could do it for cheap-OR-quick; here's how we'd do it if money were no object. Pick ONE.'

I've no doubt there's a mind-numbing amount of wrangling to be done (such is politics) but having a clear outline to align expectations to is a great start.

@stevphfeniey How very Kerbal of you!

Curious about those liquid-fuel boosters.

There were two design during end of 1980s
One with Hydrolox using four SSME and re-usable, the other was Kerolox with F-1A rebuild also re-usable.
source: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=41760

Rockwell study also support Liquid-fuel booster that use RL-10 or high ISP engine
source: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=41758#more-41758
I once did back-of-envelope math and found that you could add one barrel section to each tank on the ET
Rockwell look also into it, five segment booster with lengthened ET
source: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=41700

Another interesting chapter and I'm curious to see what lunar program...if any...is decided upon.
Sounds like options B and D are going to be chosen. Maybe it'll be called the BD Space Mission.

Curious about those liquid-fuel boosters. How much more or less likely are they than Five-Segment Booster (FSB as it was called at this time)? And I once did back-of-envelope math and found that you could add one barrel section to each tank on the ET (stretch the hydrogen tank backwards, similar to ACC, and the LOX tank forward) and get a good deal of additional performance. Maybe that can be done going forward.

Of course, if they want to use LH2 stages for the lunar program, they'll also need a wider cargo carrier.
Kinky.

Since we're talking about the Space Shuttles, let us remember 35 years ago today, seven brave men and women set off to fly beyond the skies, and didn't make it there. Rest in peace, crew of the Challenger.
This New Hampshire Yankee remembers it like it was yesterday.

Last edited:
This is really cool! I'm glad that option B seems fairly well-received; it seems the most viable long-term and I was a bit worried that the return to the moon would end up costing the Space Station Enterprise program its focus and attention, letting it languish underutilized.

That said, I am sort of curious about the sudden jump in scope and focus from Space Station Enterprise to the broader program of Lunar/Mars exploration- it seems a tad unexpected and doesn't quite logically bridge from "knee-jerk reaction to build a space station from spare parts and modified test articles" to "massively ambitious directive to go above and beyond the Apollo program with crewed solar system exploration" for me, almost like Bush's line of thought was "well, we've got the station up and I don't have anything else to work on for the next decade so uhhh screw it moon time." I'm really interested to see how these two projects connect and what degree of integration between them there'll be!

On a side note, I've been doing some fan art for Boldly Going that I've been meaning to get around to sharing-
(taken from my twitter post sharing them)

Owen Garriot on IVA making his way down (up?) the LOX tank to plug the boil-off vents-
Esr9t9oVEAEaAFx

A simple view from inside the Hamster Tubes, looking towards the main shuttle docking adapter-
Esr9uMwVEAASuqD

Planning on hopefully doing some more concept art/fanart soon, it's just way too neat thinking about and drawing this stuff!