Blut & Water

I admit I was getting a bit bored about the war so I jumped ahead, especially since it was kinda obvious how it was going to turn out but I will do a sort of 'What went wrong' entry that recaps the war without having to do the tedious blow by blow that recaps the more interesting aspects.

Wow... what a run on :rolleyes:

Whanztastic

I can see that as an option but after a fairly detailed build-up it was a rather dramatic change of pace. Also we would really need some recap on events in the war if we're not going to be guessing what the hell's going on a lot of the time.

Steve

Whanztastic

I can see that as an option but after a fairly detailed build-up it was a rather dramatic change of pace. Also we would really need some recap on events in the war if we're not going to be guessing what the hell's going on a lot of the time.

Steve

I understand and agree. The western front is going to be covered as is the eastern front in greater detail probably in one post, maybe in a different format.

I knew how I wanted the war to end for France and Russia and was having a hard time getting past it so I had to write it down. Posted it because I have been pretty busy and I didn't know when I would have a chance to post the next one.

All in all, sorry for the little go-around but more details will be revealed.

Also, timelines can be non-linear, no? :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh! To answer the Russia question - I mean largest in terms of geography. To quote myself:

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]Its borders have remained the same since Japan was forced to return some of the territories it conquered in the Diplomacy Wars.[/FONT]
Without giving too much away, Russia will lose some territory in the post-war peace but it will regain, some or all, of its losses to the Japanese. However, Russia's size is larger than OTL and, yes, I meant to say it is the second largest. Second to what, however, will be answered in good time.

Last edited:
I understand and agree. The western front is going to be covered as is the eastern front in greater detail probably in one post, maybe in a different format.

I knew how I wanted the war to end for France and Russia and was having a hard time getting past it so I had to write it down. Posted it because I have been pretty busy and I didn't know when I would have a chance to post the next one.

All in all, sorry for the little go-around but more details will be revealed.

Also, timelines can be non-linear, no? :rolleyes:

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Edit: Oh! To answer the Russia question - I mean largest in terms of geography. To quote myself:

Without giving too much away, Russia will lose some territory in the post-war peace but it will regain, some or all, of its losses to the Japanese. However, Russia's size is larger than OTL and, yes, I meant to say it is the second largest. Second to what, however, will be answered in good time.

Intriguing. A British empire or possibly federation including the dominions is the obvious and possibly most likely solution. However could be a number of other wild card options. Some sort of Asian communist union that formally unites much of the continent. Or a US that really hits the expansionist button. Be interesting when we find out.:D

Steve

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]Sorry about that skip ahead, this is a little different post. This covers the western fronts, I think I will also map the eastern front and maybe do something similar for important details in the west, focusing on Gen. Brusilov and finally sorting out the Balkans, which is looking extremely mixed up and confusing.

---------------------

Chapter 12:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]A Tale of Two Revolutions

[/FONT]Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact. [FONT=Book antiqua, serif]” Ralph Waldo Emerson[/FONT][FONT=Book antiqua, serif]

Western_Front_1913_by_whanzel.png

[/FONT][FONT=Book antiqua, serif]"With the failed German offensive near at the First Battle on the Rhine, and with the extremely costly French counterattacks at Belfort and in Italy, both sides need time to reorganize for the bloody and useless offensives of the following years."[/FONT]
[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]
Western_Front_1914_5_by_whanzel.png

"Despite losses in the tens of thousands, there were very little actual change in territory. Even with the widespread use of gas and artillery, these weapons did nothing but increase the numbers of dead and severity of the wounded."

Western_Front_1916_by_whanzel.png

"1916 began with major French offensives on both lines of the western front, known as the Nivelle Offensives. However, this final thrust and gain by the French ultimately overstretched their morale and their supplies. The Combined powers struck their final blows with the Landing at Dunkirk, Battle of Turin, and Hindenburg Thrust."

A Visual History of the Diplomacy Wars edited by Charles Heston, Random House, 1993

------------

rsc1918-1.jpg

"The gun that almost won the war"

"One of the major initial shocks of the Diplomacy Wars was the semiautomatic rifle RSC Model 1907. The standard infantry weapon of French frontline forces for the war, the only nation to widely equip a semiautomatic rifle. Although many French reserves carried the Lebel Model 1886, it was this gun that proved a decisive edge in many engagements. While the most obvious advantage of the weapon was its edge with respect to rate of fire, a more subtle one was its length. At nearly exactly a meter, it was noticeable shorter than the Gewehr 98 , Carcano and the Lee-Enfield rifles. This made a difference in the urban conflict of Turin, Koln, Bonn and Koblenz."

[/FONT]Untitled.png
"Australian allies carry a wounded German ally away from front lines at the Second Battle of Belfort."

Ilya_Muromets_flying.jpg

"The BCA No. 11 was designed by Igor Sikorsky, a recent Russian immigrant to France, who was then working for BCA (so named for its founders Louis Bleriot and Adolphe Clemente, then acquiring Antoinette). It was the world's first strategic aerobomber and the first aeroplane with an enclosed cockpit. It was extremely effective against German trenches but is more famously remembered for their 'Flights of Terror' from their base in Dunkirk to the British Isles.

"The plans were successfully shared with Sikorsky's home country who also deployed them, being the first to use them in large squadrons, rather than individually targeting. The Russian's dubbed the plane '
[/FONT]небо медведь' or 'sky bear'.

"It is considered the second most important innovation in aerotechnology during the War, only after the French Fokker interrupter." [FONT=Book antiqua, serif][34][/FONT]

"Panzers during the Diplomacy Wars"

"Several different nations had programs to develop an armored vehicle that could punch through enemy forces the way cavalry had done in previous wars. Disastrous attempts to use cavalry forces, most noticeable by the Rumanians and Italians, effectively proved that trench warfare and increases in defensive technologies ended the reign of the horse. When the French were sweeping across Belgium they did so with great assistance from the Peugot Armored Car. But trenches and the muddy grounds of constant fighting on the same grounds limited their effectiveness.

peugeot3.jpg

Peugot Armored Cars preparing to cross into Belgium

"The French were individually ahead of any other nation in creating a 'landship' as they were colloquially known at the time in the United Kingdom. However, the innovative edge swung towards the Combined Powers when the German, Austrian-Hungarian, and British forces collaborated their efforts. The first true tank was the combined ingenuity of William Tritton and Guther Burstyn. Burstyn's design was at first ignored by Austria-Hungary and Germany but Tritton, who had a similar background in agricultural equipment, noticed the ingenuity of his designs. Together they were the fathers of the Mark I panzer, the grandfather of all panzer." [35]

Diplomacywars.net

[34] Fokker, of Dutch birth, and Sikorsky was one of the pre-war immigrants to France during their aeroplane boom years, due to the French government's active support of the burgeoning industry.

[35] It looks a lot more like a modern tank, basically an OTL Mark I tank, bit shorter, with a turret.
[/FONT]

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Just posted to say that this is an excellent time line. Since you seemed to have jumped to the end of the war (which I don't mind too much!) I hope you will at least continue the time line past 1916!

Just posted to say that this is an excellent time line. Since you seemed to have jumped to the end of the war (which I don't mind too much!) I hope you will at least continue the time line past 1916!

Leistungsfähiger Amerikan

I think from what Whanztastic's said the TL is definitely going on beyond the war. Sounds like there's going to be a markedly earlier cold [or possibly hot] war between two large blocs of powers. Could be interesting times, very likely in the Chinese sense.:(

Steve

Thanks! I jumped to the end of the war because the general occurrences of it are kinda predictable when you have UK/German/Japan/A-H/Italy/*Servia/Bulgaria/Greece/Macedonia vs. France/Russia/Ottomans/Rumania it is a lopsided war that the French needed to strike quickly and decisively to win, but given 1910s technology, the defenders have the upper hand. Also, my planning is getting ahead of my writing which was my mistake cause I have all these grand ideas for the upcoming years but didn't even bother finishing the war properly!

And stevep, who has been my closest follower (many thanks to him since he was the first to take the real jump into reading and to my defense often :cool:), is right to be saying it will definitely be very interesting. The hardest part is walking the line between utopia and dystopia and just making it 'different'.

Without giving too much away the 20th century was one of conflicting ideas, capitalism vs. communism; fascism (in the loose sense of the word) vs. democracy; nationalism vs. colonialism (or neocolonialism) and the conflict of ideas will still be critical in my TL, hopefully, but with different conflicts and alternate ideas.

Of course all of this will be affected by the Diplomacy War(s) and the resulting peace.

The End

The jumping to the end of the war should have been a concerning sign. I am ending my first attempt at a timeline. I appreciate those who followed and offered your criticism and insight. I bit off a bit more than I could chew - the scope was too broad for my first attempt, my knowledge a little lacking considering the scope, my time constraints at present being to difficult to contend with, and my curiosty being thoroughly distracted by other efforts.

I did make two UCS maps about the future of TL-AG04 (I think that is what I called it). The plan was for a *Cold War to develop, called the "False Peace". This would be over the concern of integralism/nationalism rather than Communism, which would be a minor distraction making a small third front. France, Italy, and Japan would be the major integralist nations, support by smaller Hellenic Kingdom, Yugoslavia, Holland, the rump Ottoman empire, and a Scandinavian bloc of Finland, Sweden and Denmark. They would be opposed by the multiethnic British Federation, Germany, Russia, Iran, and China. Brazil goes Commie due to French and Italian radicals being expelled by the integralists who immigrate to Brazil. Indonesia also has a Red revolution which is akin to the Russian Revolution with Reds making significant inroads in the military and police. The US stays more of a 'gentle giant', a powerful mediator on the world stage but never a major interventionist that is was IOTL. A-H becomes disgusted with war and also becomes a passive, defensive nation reformed by Franz Ferdinand. Decolonialism is a bit slower and bit more painful for some. France still retains a unified Africa colony, patrolled by air power and Africans remain in a two-class system in the Empire. The British and Germany face a mixed bag of peaceful and prosperous ends and brutish, quick ones. Portugal is one of the first to give up hers, Goa remains independent of the rest of India. Hong Kong is a permanent part of the British Federation. Basically I wanted to keep a similar balance of good and bad to OTL but with Europe a lil worse off (at least freedom wise) with some of that goodness going to Africa, SA and Asia. Here are some maps I made as guides, which were subject to change but I suppose stand as the final way the world would've been.

1917 - Blue lines are International Council of Nations Authorities, as ruled by or influence by internal color. Note Free city of Tangier, Republic of Marmara, alt Kingdom of Yugoslavia, surviving kingdom of hejaz and alternate MidEast divisions. Monaco triples in size. Belgium, Germany and Italy get minor territorial concessions from france

Alternate_World_1917_by_whanzel.png

1935 - Great Depression has set it, Brazil went commie in late 20s, Indonesia in 33. Brazil only really worries other American countries but Indonesia directly hurt the Dutch and threatens British colonies. Communism is seen more as a threat to colonialism and land reform ITTL due to the nature of these two nations. British Federation has been established with British Isles, Canada, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand to start, will develop in time. It also adjusts its colonial boudaries in the Sudan, Egypt and East Africa. Civil war in greece has led to a IC mediated split into the mainland, intergralist Hellenic Kingdom and the multiethnic Aegean Republic. Argentina joins the integralist bloc.

Alternate_World_1935_by_whanzel.png

1950 - After loosing a war to Paraguay, Bolivia goes land reform commie and immediately begins receiving support from Brazil but remains independent, just under a slight sphere of influence. IC approves of Dominican Republic becoming a protectorate or commonwealth under the US due to unrest in Haiti and is becoming another Puerto Rico. Vatican City is not established. Ecuador looses some land to Peru. Italy looses Eritrea and Somalia in Vietnam-esque manners, eritrea votes to join Ethiopia. South Africa expands, South Nigeria becomes officially part of Federation, being much more developed than North Nigeria. Portugal allows its colonies to go free. Kingdom of Buganda fights and earns independence, threatening Kenya. Tanganyika, probably the most developed nation in Africa, peacefully earns independence (Zanzibar still under British control). Greater India joins the Federation. Bhutan, Tibet and Burma go independent, as does Kalimantan (North Borneo). Thailand and Saudi Arabia become increasingly more integralist. Philippines still under American influence due to remaining threat of Japan, who remain militant on paper, and Commie Indonesia. A world war nearly flares up due to Russian revolt in Japanese controlled outer manchuria. they finally allow it to go when they realize that they would be attacked by Russia, China, US, Germany and BF (British Federation) and France is unwilling to support them. Italy holds referendum in Hatay who vote to rejoin Ottomans.

Alternate_World_1950_by_whanzel.png

1975 - Further decolonization, Belgium looses its territories, Congo splits in two, communists in Mozambique and Belgian Guiana, Democratic revolution in Denmark, Finland and Sweden help ingeralists and royal family to escape to iceland, declaring kingdom of iceland, color changed to represent this difference. Islamic integralist revolutions in British Arabia, Saudi Arabia and Iran moving towards brink of war. Federation of Indochina peacefully separates from Japan and remains close to them. Japan undergoes major liberal reforms to save the empire. Cyprus votes to join Aegean Republic. Hong Kong, Malay, and most of British America joins the Federation.

worldUCS 1975.png

Never did a 2000 but things are on the edge.

Thanks for your attention. I think it is apt to end it with a quote from TS Eliot's "The Hollow Men", both in reference to subject matter and the nature of its demise.

This is the way the world ends; not with a bang but a whisper.

worldUCS 1975.png

NO WAY -- Note how long and hard they fought OTL, for Independence from Ethiopia.

It was just a thought that I put little actually investigation into. My theory was with no UN supporting the sovereignty of nations (the IC supports the power of nations and spheres of influence, it is more of a way for power nations like UK and Germany to remain dominant) and with colonialism still strong, Eritrea would rather be part of Ethiopia, who actively assisted rebels their and in Somalia while they were under Italian rule. ITTL no one ever attempts to colonize Ethiopia. With those differences, a lot could change.

Whanztastic

Sorry to see this go as some interesting prospects here. However fully understand the problems of such a major project as a 1st TL. Hope to see you back with some more ideas some time.

Steve

Whanztastic

Sorry to see this go as some interesting prospects here. However fully understand the problems of such a major project as a 1st TL. Hope to see you back with some more ideas some time.

Steve

Stevep

Thank you for your interest. A global timeline was definitely a little too wide in scope for me. I will probably try and find a good national level one. Definitely learned a lot of lessons.

Decided to round out the century.

2000 - Brazil outright annexes Belgian Guiana. US, Mexico, Cuba, and Colombia lead the formation of the American Union, ala EU of course but is both economic and defensive bloc. Puerto Rico admitted as state, including ex dominican republic. Venezuela is occupied by British, AU and Dutch forces due to Commie, drugslinging terrorists. *Sudan occupied by Germany, Egypt and British. West African Federation attacks French Africa but looses territory. Civil war in Madagascar. Freedom movements start terrorist actions in French Africa and France proper, Libya as well. Saudi Arabia and Iran begin naval clashes. BF threatens to intervene but is overstretched. The entire middle east will soon be at war. Thailand and Burma get into border clashes, ends poorly for Burma. Albania, finally, gains its independence. Sweden and Finland's regimes collapse under republican pressures.

All american countries could join the AU, with Argentina, Peru, Uruguay and Chile the next potential applicants. Some American members of the BF wish to join as well but their ability to do so independently of the federation is a hotly debated subject in parliament.

worldUCS 2000.png

worldUCS 2000.png