Blut & Water

Sorry for a delay in updates, I was on a bit of a holiday (to scenic Ohio!) Here is a little update about the British entry into the European war and some strangers becoming friends.

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]
Chapter 8:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]The Commoner, the Colonel and Churchill[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]It is better to be making the news than taking it; to be an actor rather than a critic.[/FONT][FONT=Book antiqua, serif]” - Winston Churchill[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]The Diplomacy Wars was the catalytic event in the friendship between the United Kingdom and Germany that lasts until this day. Once mildly friendly, world events saw these two great powers thrown together in defense of international law and peace in an accidental and surprising war against French militarism. Upon reflection, it is clear that the French-developed 'Cult of the Offensive' was a critical cause of the Diplomacy Wars. From the Bulgarian seizure of Constantinople to Russia's swarming of the Balkans to France's violation of Belgium neutrality, the aggression of the Allies certainly led to the whole situation spiraling out of anybody's control.[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]It would be remiss not to mention that this aggressive nature was also apparent in the Combined Powers as well, what with the original spark being the invasion of the Ottoman's by the Balkan League; but this was largely approved of internationally (who did not want a piece of that dying Empire, which is left only with a rump, due to them becoming reinvested in the war, when they should have realized it had already been defeated?). France's 'preemptive' attack on Germany, on the other hand, is a truly deplorable act, violating the internationally recognized and respected neutrality of a lesser nation, in this case Belgium. It is no wonder that in 1917 the International Council was founded to enforce international law with a majority of nations and power. But we digress.[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]Germany and the United Kingdom were quick to laud each other following Britain's formal alignment with Germany and Austria-Hungary (the forgotten partner) on January 11, following the fall of Namur to French forces. There had been a fair amount of debate both publicly and in Parliament about whether of not the United Kingdom ought get directly involved in 'Continental Affairs' however when the seemingly impenetrable bastion fell in just a week to French siege, the Liberal government under Prime Minister Asquith could avoid conflict no longer.[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]The British warplan was to isolate France by naval blockade, strangling her so Germany may dispatch of her on land. The United Kingdom would assist the superior German Army whilst the Germans would assist the superior Royal Navy at sea. Yes Belgium's neutrality was to be defended, but at the same time France was to be punished colonially. Already Japan and Germany had began to move against France's colonial possessions. Germany was mopping up Polynesia, planning an occupation of New Caldonia, crossing into French Africa, and even making plans for seizing territories in the Caribbean. Britain was lagging behind. Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Pondicherry, and the French Caribbean would fall without resistance. French Guiana would be a different story. General Jan Smuts would be sent back to South Africa to lead British forces in Africa, having made friends in high places during his self-imposed exile while reflecting on his life thus far. Also of colossal importance were Russia and the Ottoman Empire, as British forces and agents began to mobilize in Iran, Afghanistan and Arabia, although real actions would wait until Spring. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]What was of most imperative importance, however, was the relief of beleaguered Belgium. This marked the first wartime collaboration between the two nations and would be the beginning of a lifelong friendship between two great personalities representing the two great European powers. Sir Winston Churchill, at the time First Lord of the Admiralty, was sent to Antwerp with a Royal Marine division to assist the defense of the city and to assess if saving the nation from French invasion was a lost cause. Churchill's German counterpart was Colonel Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, dispatched as the commanding officer of the II. Seebatalion from Wilhelmshaven. It is of interesting historical note that Lettow-Vorbeck left Germany as a Colonel, in command of a division named as a battalion, due to the Germans not renaming the force to reflect that its numbers had surged with reserves before departing for Belgium. For all intensive purposes Lettow-Vorbeck was a Major General as he became joint commander of the Imperial German Marines and British Royal Marines as they strategically retreated west with the Belgians from besieged Antwerp, not formally receiving promotion until they reached save haven.[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]As history had recorded it, King Albert, fulfilling his constitutional duty as commander of the Belgium Army, met with both Churchill and Lettow-Vorbeck to discuss their perilous predicament. Antwerp would fall to the French siege, their was no doubt of that. The First French Army had the city surrounded from the South and East, with the Second Army assaulting Liege and as the Third Army went on to win a surprisingly decisive victory against Germany's Second Army on the Ourthe. Cut off by still neutral Netherlands, Antwerp could be supported be either the British or the Germans. The combined forces' options were limited, at best. The three great men, King, Lord and Colonel, decided, that the best course of action would be to withdraw from Antwerp west and hold a defensive position on the North Sea from where they could either be resupplied and reinforced or, if the situation were to become dire enough to require it, to be evacuated by the Royal and Imperial Navies. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]The following day Churchill and some senior British staff were supposed to slip out before it was too late, as was demanded by the Prime Minister and the King. Col. von Lettow-Vorbeck was personally seeing him off at Antwerp Docks when both of them were tackled by a 'petite' British private, no easy task, called Michael Sterling. Just at that moment, a fair-sized explosion, followed by several others of less impressive power, did a respectable damage to the deck and bow of the ship the Lord of the Admiralty planned on using to escape. Apparently, French operatives or Belgian sympathizers had been shadowing Churchill during his time in Antwerp, knowing that his death would be an impressive propaganda victory. Several French newspapers, prematurely, printed the news of Churchill's death by aerostrike. Upon hearing this news of his own death and that he was intentionally hunted, Churchill responded with good humor and said the he 'felt flattered' that he was 'chosen as a person crucial to the war effort by Britain's enemies.' And so Churchill remained with the Belgium Army and the Marines as they moved west.[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]The friendship of Churchill and Lettow-Vorbeck has often been chosen as the relationship that best personified Anglo-Germanic relationships during and following the Diplomacy Wars. Both men led very successful careers during the subsequent years, both being strong advocates for the International Council and the 'peace through power' that followed. There is one detail that is usually dismissed historically, but survives in culture and media, perhaps because of its merits as a romance makes it attractive to some and easily dismissed by others. And that is the detail of one Private Michael Sterling. When Private Sterling tackled the Colonel and the Lord, it became very apparent to the two men that something was amiss. Sterling explained that he had heard the distinct buzz of the planes approaching, despite the ruckus of the shipping yard, having heard them earlier when retreating as one of many in a refugee column from France's push north. Also, that her true name was Dorothy Lewis (if anyone wishes to know how she came to be Michael Sterling, her autobiography, The Audacity of a Woman, is quite thorough). [21][/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]As are many during war, the subsequent actions were ones of necessity. Not willing to expose their savior as a fraud, and not wanting to leave her to the whims of war, the three of them arranged so that Private Michael Sterling would be the 'private courier' between the two men, and will accompany them, receiving special quarters to keep her gender secret for the time being, where her ultimate fate would be decided when the time came. Since Churchill was a married man (in 1908 he married Iris Elizabeth Freeman-Mitford, who was then pregnant with their second child), Lewis spent more time in the company of the Colonel. And, as these things happen, the two fell for each other (once again, for details, refer to her autobiography). The two joined in holy matrimony before the war's end.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]The Dreams of Giants: the Beginnings of the International Council by Robert Palmer, Stanford University Press, 1967 [22][/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]------------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif][21] See Dorothy Lawrence, a tragic story that I felt deserved more historical justice. Since Dorothy Lawrence herself would only be 16 in early 1913, I decided it would be better to create a fictional character who could be a few years older to play her part. Although I do not [/FONT]
[FONT=Book antiqua, serif]at this time have a specific fate decided for Dorothy Lawrence, I imagine it being better than the one she recieved in this world.[/FONT]

[FONT=Book antiqua, serif][22] There is some obvious bias in this work.[/FONT]

Whanztastic

Well things are developing rapidly. The French have gambled but sounds like they have failed to achieve the decisive edge they need. However with the tactical edge then seem to have driving them back could be costly and difficult for the allies. Also I especially don't like the reference to how advanced their air force is.;)

I'm not sure there is enough room for any defencive position west of Antwerp that will not be very vulnerable throughout its depth to French artillery. Also if Churchill is stranded in the pocket or chooses to stay there then he will have to give up the Admiralty as its far too important a role to be run from a distance.

See what you means about Dorothy Lawrence. Seems a pretty tragic case for such a brave and energetic person. A bit ironic the total mis-understandings during her interrogation.

I rather suspect that the Germans won't be occupying New Caledonia as I expect the Aussies will make sure they get there before them, allies or no allies.;)

Looking good.

Here is a little map showing the eventually allegiances of the Diplomacy War(s). It is part sum-up/teaser. This is only a de jure map, not de facto so it doesn't show non-belligerents, which have no true legal standing in OTL or just yet ITTL.

alternate_wwi_alliances_europe_by_whanzel.png

My to do list is - Russia and Asia at large, then the neutral countries (Spain, Portugal, US, Netherlands, Italy's entry and Scandinavia), and then maybe Africa or Chinese civil war.

Hmm... maybe I should work out some stuff for South America. Gah, so much to track.

Treaty of Portsmouth
Russia also signed over its 25-year leasehold rights to Port Arthur, including the naval base and the peninsula around it. Russia also ceded the southern half of Sakhalin Island to Japan.
When this came out in Japan there was wide spread anger in Japan. at not getting the entire Island.
I believe that the first thing Japan will do is try to reverse this. IIRC Japan had a sizable force in Karafuto Province pre WW1.

abc123

Banned
Here is a little map showing the eventually allegiances of the Diplomacy War(s).
alternate_wwi_alliances_europe_by_whanzel.png

A few questions:

1. why is Italy part of a Combined Powers? I dont think that they will be in the same alliance as Austro- Hungary? The best what we can expect form them is to remain neutral...

2. More important, why are United Kingdom- Germany against of Turkey? Turkey is theirs natural ally against Russia.

3. Why Germany and Austro- Hungary do not want to help Turkey against Balkan League?

4. Why Russia attacks Bulgaria- his ally? It's better for Russia that Bulgaria, an ally, controls Bosporus and Dardanelles, than enemy like Turkey.
;)

A few questions:

1. why is Italy part of a Combined Powers? I dont think that they will be in the same alliance as Austro- Hungary? The best what we can expect form them is to remain neutral...

2. More important, why are United Kingdom- Germany against of Turkey? Turkey is theirs natural ally against Russia.

3. Why Germany and Austro- Hungary do not want to help Turkey against Balkan League?

4. Why Russia attacks Bulgaria- his ally? It's better for Russia that Bulgaria, an ally, controls Bosporus and Dardanelles, than enemy like Turkey.
;)

As best I understand matters, Italy OTL had a deal with Germany. Given that Italy had claims against both France and Austria-Hungary, it makes sense for the Italians to join whichever side seems to promise the best chances of success.

UK and Germany against Turkey is, I believe, because they stepped in in favour of the Balkan League who were themselves fighting Turkey.

It's one of the consequences of alliance systems...

abc123

The thing that turned a relatively minor crisis in the Balkans into a major war was when Russia attacked the victorious Balkan League. This brought the allies in against Russia and since Russia was attacking the Balkan powers who were in turn fighting Turkey Russia and Turkey turned out to be unlikely allies.

Italy has an alliance with Germany and Austria and since Russia triggered the major war its more difficult to claim as Italy did OTL that its alliance was only defencive and hence doesn't apply. More to the point, with Britain being allied to Germany and Austria the position of the latter is markedly more powerful. Especially given Italy's reliance on coastal traffic and foreign trade making it very vulnerable to the RN. Also Italy has just finished its own conflict with Turkey over Libya. As such its fairly likely that when it commits Italy will join the central allies rather than the entente powers.

I would agree however with point 4 that I think it would have made more sense for Russia not to attack the Balkan states. Especially since it seems that the Bulgarians were thinking of Constantinople as a bargaining counter rather than something they would keep.

Steve

As best I understand matters, Italy OTL had a deal with Germany. Given that Italy had claims against both France and Austria-Hungary, it makes sense for the Italians to join whichever side seems to promise the best chances of success.

UK and Germany against Turkey is, I believe, because they stepped in in favour of the Balkan League who were themselves fighting Turkey.

abc123

Banned
abc123

I would agree however with point 4 that I think it would have made more sense for Russia not to attack the Balkan states. Especially since it seems that the Bulgarians were thinking of Constantinople as a bargaining counter rather than something they would keep.

Steve

All Balkan League states would not even make a move without previous russian knowledge and explicit support. Allmost all actions during Balkan Wars where planned in St. petersburg and executed in Belgrade, Sofia, Cetinje and Athens.

So attack of Russia on Bulgaria has no sense at all.
Like american attack on Saddam's Iraq after its attack on Iran back in 1980s...
;)

abc123

Banned

No sence at all, Britain was for Turkey and against of Russia.
Germany and Austro- Hungary too.
No way that Austro- Hungary and Germany will help to Serbia, who has the goal of breaking of Austro- Hungary...
;)

nbcman

Donor
@ abc123

You may wish to read the 1st post of this thread where the POD for the Anglo German Alliance is stated. Additionally, the thread's Author has not stated that the Italians are actively fighting, just that they are allied to A-H and Germany as OTL.

While I agree that the Russian decision to start this war takes a large dose of handwavium, the thread is doing OK otherwise.

An excellent TL you've got going here with some really good detail involved in it. The pacing and so on is well done as is the writing style. Easy to read and very informative. Great stuff.

When this came out in Japan there was wide spread anger in Japan. at not getting the entire Island.
I believe that the first thing Japan will do is try to reverse this. IIRC Japan had a sizable force in Karafuto Province pre WW1.

Ahem, yes. :rolleyes: I admit that in the short run Japan will get a bit of a territorial boost but I really do feel like Russia gets a bad draw far too often in Alt Hist. Basically, "Be careful what you wish for" will apply to a great deal of the victorious nations in the Diplomacy Wars. I don't have a bloody clue what will happen in the US, however. I do see an opening for T. Roosevelt (how can I pass it up?) and I will admit that Wilson is my least favorite president but is it too cliche? We will see, I suppose.

@ abc123 - IOTL, Russia threatened Bulgaria with war if they conquered Constantinople. ITTL, did indeed seized Constantinople. The reasons why they did so differ - bargaining chip, national pride, and strategy are all possible answers but historians still disagree. The point of the matter is that they believed that Russia would not attack them for taking Constantinople for the exact reason you said. BUT, once Russia said they would attack, they cannot really back down away from such a small country as Bulgaria without being seen as very weak, both in real power and willed.

IOTL, Austria-Hungary was willing to join the Balkan Wars, but Germany advised against it following the German Imperial War Council on December 8 1912. They did so because they did not feel that they were ready to face the Royal Navy, this not being a concern ITTL, since Germany and Britain are friendly. So, with Russia stomping around in their backyard, it is quite conceivable that they would go to war with Russia (and so would Germany) even if it also meant war with the Ottomans (although this was uncertain at the moment since they had a cease fire with the Balkan League, only to rejoin the fray after the Coup of the Two Pashas.)

With respect to Italy, the Triple Alliance (OTL's name) was established in 1882 and ITTL A-H and Germany are not seen as the aggressors. There is a great deal of debate in Italy about going to war, and it has not yet been decided but this map is supposed to show a post-war perspective, not about the current state of affairs.

I am assuming you did not bother to read any of the previous body of text so I guess I shouldn't have spent so much time in its defense. I do tip my hat to stevep and nbcman for coming to my assistance in my absence. Good to know that I have supporters. I will admit that Russia going to war is a bit of a stretch but WWI is so bloody covered I just saw an opportunity for originality and I ran with it.

DAv - Many thanks!

I hope that I will be posting tomorrow/Saturday.

Very interesting timeline and I look forward to more. :)

However I do have to wonder what's keeping the Balkan league from not falling apart and turning on eachother. Seeing as there would be a great deal of tension between Serbia, Greece, and Bulgaria, over territory/post war spoils. Aswell well neither Greece nor Serbia would be very interested in following Bulgaria off to war when the whole reason for the war was that Bulgaria managed to conquer Constantinople.

However I do have to wonder what's keeping the Balkan league from not falling apart and turning on eachother. Seeing as there would be a great deal of tension between Serbia, Greece, and Bulgaria, over territory/post war spoils. Aswell well neither Greece nor Serbia would be very interested in following Bulgaria off to war when the whole reason for the war was that Bulgaria managed to conquer Constantinople.

Thanks! To be perfectly honest I never thought about the twisting intrigues of the Balkan League. With respect to Greece, I figure they would stay belligerent towards the Ottomans and friendly the UK so they would remain with the Combined Powers. But *Serbia (it uses the OTL archaic Servia ITTL due to it being a state that is not existing for terribly much longer. oops! spoiler!) would probably switch sides against Bulgaria and A-H, aligning with Russia. Hmm... It is a tad too late now to edit that... I will need a justification I suppose, or perhaps a twist!

May I add that my intent for this timeline is for it to be proper causality-wise (besides my liberal POD of Bulgaria and Russia and so forth) and then secondly a world to my liking. Yes, unique and interesting are of great importance but first and foremost is plausibility. So, feel free to point out any holes (like the one above) but more importantly, I would greatly appreciate suggested courses of occurrences so my bias does not overwhelm (my ideas are of higher importance however, I am sure you understand). Although I have notes and plans for a great deal of it, they are flexible and I don't really write anything until at most a week before that post goes up, usually only a couple of days. So, in summation, input is greatly appreciated.

Good night,
William

abc123

Banned
@ abc123

You may wish to read the 1st post of this thread where the POD for the Anglo German Alliance is stated. Additionally, the thread's Author has not stated that the Italians are actively fighting, just that they are allied to A-H and Germany as OTL.

While I agree that the Russian decision to start this war takes a large dose of handwavium, the thread is doing OK otherwise.

I did read all posts in this thread, so I remain with my objections...

On the other hand, Austro- Hungarian and German decision to start the war to save Ottoman Empire from destruction and to stop russian exit on Bosporus and Dardanelles ( by its bulgarian proxy ) IS the most logical choice.;)

abc123

Banned
Thanks! To be perfectly honest I never thought about the twisting intrigues of the Balkan League. With respect to Greece, I figure they would stay belligerent towards the Ottomans and friendly the UK so they would remain with the Combined Powers. But *Serbia (it uses the OTL archaic Servia ITTL due to it being a state that is not existing for terribly much longer. oops! spoiler!) would probably switch sides against Bulgaria and A-H, aligning with Russia. Hmm... It is a tad too late now to edit that... I will need a justification I suppose, or perhaps a twist!

May I add that my intent for this timeline is for it to be proper causality-wise (besides my liberal POD of Bulgaria and Russia and so forth) and then secondly a world to my liking. Yes, unique and interesting are of great importance but first and foremost is plausibility. So, feel free to point out any holes (like the one above) but more importantly, I would greatly appreciate suggested courses of occurrences so my bias does not overwhelm (my ideas are of higher importance however, I am sure you understand). Although I have notes and plans for a great deal of it, they are flexible and I don't really write anything until at most a week before that post goes up, usually only a couple of days. So, in summation, input is greatly appreciated.

Good night,
William

A excellent timeline btw, except of some details....

I did read all posts in this thread, so I remain with my objections...

On the other hand, Austro- Hungarian and German decision to start the war to save Ottoman Empire from destruction and to stop russian exit on Bosporus and Dardanelles ( by its bulgarian proxy ) IS the most logical choice.;)

Well I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. And yes I will admit that is more probable, I can't exactly go back and change it all now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
New Patomic, Whanztastic

Would the Balkan league actually break up TTL? There would be tension over differing aims, as there was OTL, especially if Bulgaria sees its allies getting the bulk of the gains.

However TTL the Russian intervention rather short-circuited this somewhat. There is no time for the allies to fall out over gains before a wider war develops. If Serbia and Greece have the bulk of the disputed territory Bulgaria, attacked by Russia and probably Turkey is not going to be in a condition to contest it. At the same time I doubt if either Serbia or Greece has reasons to turn on its ally. Greece especially as its vulnerable to naval power, has a monarchy friendly to Germany and the old rivalry with Turkey would all keep it on the allied side. In turn Serbia, virtually totally surrounded by allied territory, would be taking a hell of a gamble to back-stab its ally, both militarily and because it would leave it politically isolated. [Although you seem to be suggesting that will happen given the hint that Serbia won't be around long]. Leaving aside here the question of Montenegro as don't know even about how it would respond to events.

Steve

Good night,
William