Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

I kinda feel sorry for Maggie Tatcher. Her popularity plummeted, and she became the villain in the alternate V for Vendetta. Poor thing. Anyway, great chapter. I'm glad to see the story's back!

Margaret Thatcher gone...

Without knowing entirely why, huge numbers of working men from the North of England breathe sighs of relief.

Really good stuff @President_Lincoln :) Great to see this back, and looking forward to seeing what lies ahead.

It returns! Excited to see how things go for the new British government!

Hoping that the post-war consensus can continue to be a thing. With Thatcher's repudiation ITTL, it does seem that the British people have turned against neoliberal ideas, which should convince ambitious Tory politicos that a general middle-of-the-road course that keeps the welfare state is a favourable path.

But yeah, looking forward to seeing PM Healy :D

Man, I kinda felt bad for Margaret Thatcher ITTL...

Wonder what PM Healy will be like ITTL...

It was Thatcher's bad luck to be caught up in the Winter of Discontent, IMO...

BTW, "Anarchy in the UK" was a song sung and released by the British band The Sex Pistols in 1976 as part of their album Anarchy in the UK, so congrats for continuing the pattern, @President_Lincoln...

Overall, good chapter, and welcome back, @President_Lincoln...

So Thatcher's earlier rise to power put her in the same position as late 70s Labour eh?

It's rather interesting that the chief Anglophone nations of the world head into the 80s with a center-left spectrum in power as opposed to a more stridently right wing.

Great update about the UK. I wasn't expecting Thatcher to fall. Funny her being the villain in TTL V for Vendetta. I'm glad Labour's back in power and excited to see PM Healy. It looks like the Conservatives are losing power now with Thatcher out and Bush having lost the Presidential election. Did Bush and Thatcher get along when they were in office by the way? Obviously Reagan and Thatcher got along famously during the 80s. And what does new PM Healy think of the new President?

@President_Lincoln Thank you for the look at the UK, and for the irony of Mrs T's fall.

Hopefully Healey can reform the heavy industries and keep the UK as a manufacturing power. The Troubles might be negociated away esp if Scotland gets its parliament, perhaps N. Ireland gets her Assembley.

The General Eletions results:

1978 UK General Election Results:

635 Seats in the House of Commons
318 Seats Needed for a Majority

Labour Party - 341 Seats (Up from 297)
Conservative Party - 283 Seats (Down from 323)
Liberal Party - 11 Seats (Up from 8)

What happened to the smaller parties? Usally there is a smattering of them from N. Ireland, Wales, and Scotland.

Decent collection of talents Healy has in his Cabinet- wonder if Labour avoids the 'Gang of Four' split here?

Just a question after reading the UK Election update: Has Tony Blair been mentioned yet in the TL or been asked by the readers? How is he doing ITTL?

EDIT: Of course what I'm getting at is, what are the odds that we see a Tory Blair?

Last edited:
I wonder what the Argentine Junta is going to think about this...

That angle depends on how they approach things. If they offer to buy/buy back the Falklands, Healy’d probably sell. Better money to put into social programmes than a vestigial outpost of Empire.

If the junta invades, though...he’d have to respond and he knows it.

Though I doubt they would. ITTL, British military expenditure seems to have been higher - they have at least one big carrier still. The junta would have to be idiots to invade.

That angle depends on how they approach things. If they offer to buy/buy back the Falklands, Healy’d probably sell. Better money to put into social programmes than a vestigial outpost of Empire.
Im sure the people actually on the Falklands would really not appreciate that, and the conservatives back home would use that disapproval for some great political hay

Im sure the people actually on the Falklands would really not appreciate that, and the conservatives back home would use that disapproval for some great political hay

As I understand it, OTL the Conservatives had been planning on divesting themselves of the Falklands but the invasion made it untenable politically. And after fighting a war for the islands...

Oh didnt know that...Interesting. Still would run into problems when the actual Islanders get word theyve been sold to a tinpot dictatorship

This much is true. If it did happen, then it wouldn’t happen without some kind of free relocation and compensation for the islanders.

Though this all depends on the Argentinians making any kind of offer. If they remain quiet on the issue, status quo will probably go on as is - I see Healy as making a deal if approached but not seeking the junta out - but if they invade...

There’s a TL on the site about a Falklands War where the RN still have HMS Eagle. By the end of it, the Argentinian Navy and Air Force effectively don’t exist anymore...

This much is true. If it did happen, then it wouldn’t happen without some kind of free relocation and compensation for the islanders.

Though this all depends on the Argentinians making any kind of offer. If they remain quiet on the issue, status quo will probably go on as is - I see Healy as making a deal if approached but not seeking the junta out - but if they invade...

There’s a TL on the site about a Falklands War where the RN still have HMS Eagle. By the end of it, the Argentinian Navy and Air Force effectively don’t exist anymore...
No effective about it the entire Argentine fleet was on the bottom. In any case the Falklands would declare independence, seize the guard ship and fight Argentina themselves before they would accept Argentine control in any TL.