Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Good update; like how Mo Udall was the first to walk the whole inauguration route...

Congrats at getting Medicare For All passed; this is a major accomplishment for Udall, IMO...

Like how he's going around the world and hope he handles Iran differently than Carter did...

Udall is the tallest president and the first one with a glass eye, which is an interesting stat...

The song "Don't Stop" was sung by Fleetwood Mac and released in March of 1977, becoming Bill Clinton's campaign theme in 1992 (which is how it got more popularity)...

BTW, good update, @President_Lincoln, and welcome back...

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
As for the man of the hour himself, he stood beside his wife, Ella, and resisted the cold with a placid grin. After months of meticulous planning and working with outgoing President Bush on the transition, the President-elect freed himself to focus on crafting a lean, breezy, and powerful inaugural address. He believed that in this field, at least, he had been successful, and he kissed his wife’s cheek as the Chief Justice waved him forward and the marine band played him in. Freund, an aging Harvard man with a deep voice, bellowed the oath out to the impossibly tall (6’5”) Udall as he raised his right hand and swore it.

“I Morris King Udall do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will, to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God.”

The crowd offered a thunderous round of applause, and Udall waited for a moment for them to settle down before he began to speak.

“My fellow Americans, I want to begin by thanking my predecessor for the good work he has done for this land, and for the help he has provided me in preparing to assume this office.

In this ceremony, we celebrate the majesty of American rebirth. It may be the brunt of winter here in Washington, but through our reaffirmation to the peaceful transition of power, we summon forth a spring which thaws even the coldest of hearts, and lets freedom ring from every hilltop and every valley, in this, the world’s oldest and most vibrant democracy. I declare today that we need a change in this country. I can see from the signs, buttons, and banners that many of you are carrying that you agree with me. But we seek change not to challenge, but to boldly reiterate our belief in our nation’s founding principles, and our belief that every single American possesses the inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. In short, we seek progress, change we can all believe in. In this regard, we are inheritors of a long and proud American tradition.

In order for us to bring about the national renewal we seek, we must be bold. We must restore our country’s confidence in the present, and invest in its future - both economic and environmental. As Franklin Roosevelt once said, ‘The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.’ We gather today amidst the greatest economic crisis this country has faced since the Great Depression. Just as in the days of FDR and the New Deal, our government, the only institution that is, as Abraham Lincoln pointed out, “of the people, by the people, and for the people” must be part of the solution. We possess today the means of continuing the great work carried out by President Kennedy, whose New Frontier programs vastly reduced the number of Americans living below the poverty line. America has never been a country defined by impossibilities. We look to the stars and insist that one day we will visit them. We encounter disease, famine, and war, and demand that they be resolved for the betterment of all men. Today, we assert that America, in its third century since declaring its independence, will be a land of great accomplishments, great thinkers, peace, prosperity, and noble defenders of human rights around the world.”

“I would like to conclude today by sharing something my wife Ella and I read on the side of a camper while on vacation near our home in Arizona: ‘America ain’t perfect. But we’re not done yet!’ Together, we will labor to build a more perfect Union, with your help, I believe we cannot fail. Thank you all, God bless you, and God Bless the United States of America.”

I hate even mentioning the fact that current politics exists, but by golly this is the biggest breath of fresh air I've seen in quite a long time.

Sharon Tate Kennedy

This is as wacky as us getting "Hillary Rodham Bush", in all honesty.

In the end, the GOP theatrics did little to prevent the inevitable. The Democratic Party, resisting internal pressures and divides over social policy especially, stood firm, along with some pretty steep promises for government contracts and spending, as well as the help of their liberal Republcian allies, and passed MoCare through the House 301 - 134 and the Senate 68 - 32, just barely enough to achieve cloture and end the filibustering.

We have Universal Healthcare now ITTL? :extremelyhappy: There was reason before to move this timeline, but now we all have a bigger incentive to move here.

As always, a most excellent update and a grand beginning to Act III.

My apologies for falling so far behind on Closer to Home.
Hey, it's all good. I've mentioned to you numerous times that I really want to come up with something to contribute but nothing appropriate comes to mind for this as of late.

The song "Don't Stop" was sung by Fleetwood Mac and released in March of 1977, becoming Bill Clinton's campaign theme in 1992 (which is how it got more popularity)

The Playlist got an update for the first time in a while. I haven't been keeping track, but I think the streak has continued? No, not that streak!

Great chapter @President_Lincoln

Udall is looking to be an amazing President!

Surprised his foreign trip didn’t take him to London?

How did he get on with the Shar? As I recall the Iranian leader admired tall men so I imagine Udall could inspire/request almost anything since he’s (nearly) a giant!

No idea how that Healthcare Act works, I don’t think it’s too similar to the NHS though?

What’s Udall’s thoughts on space exploration and alternative energy please?

Hey @President_Lincoln! Can you answer a few questions for me?

• Jack Ruby
  • John Hinckley Jr.
  • Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean's actor)
  • Ben Folds
  • Chaim Topol
  • Jason Miller
  • Linda Blair
What's happened with Xinjiang, Tibet, and Mongolia ITTL? And also Transcaucuas and Uganda?

How many more people died in the continued Cultural Revolution ITTL thanks to Lin Bao? and speaking of him, what happened to him? and how is his legacy viewed?

Thanks!

An outstanding update. The Inauguration reminded me of Obama's. Was that the inspiration for Mo's? Or is that too obvious. Including the first foreign trip to Canada (as a Canadian this thrills me especially with the way things have been lately between our two great nations :( )

Can't wait for the next chapter!

Honestly, I kind of get a feel that's between Carter and Obama. He's as much a man of the people as Carter (not a populist, more just an ordinary guy that ordinary citizens can connect with), but the lofty idealism and eloquent speech reminds me of Obama.

To answer your question, QTX, global trade has taken a bit of a hit due to the global recession, though some countries are obviously being hit harder than others. The UK's economy is struggling more than most, and PM Thatcher may soon find herself facing a crisis of confidence, especially as the calls for Scottish and Welsh devolution grow louder and her stance on the issue refuses to bend...

Bit late to reply to this, but now you mentioned that global trade, especially UK, is struggling then that does make me think those Flying Scotsman trade tours might've not had the lasting effect they would've liked and they might go down retrospectively ITTL as an adventurous yet ultimately costly and crazy endeavor.

With the 1978 World Cup coming soon and Scotland already there having qualified as champions then I suppose having Wales there would not only be a historic bit of justice done considering we sort of screwed them over from qualifying, but this would no doubt help both in the devolution vote in 1979 if we are going there?

Wonder if my suggestions of the expansion of 16 to 24 teams for that World Cup will happen, providing we hear how things are going on in Argentina if the junta still happen or if things are going better for them?

I didn't realize there was a new update since I didn't get a alert (again). Anyways, great first chapter for Act III. Very interested to see how the rest of Mo Udall's presidency goes.

I'm also curious to see how, despite his victory, Ted Kennedy's marriage to Sharon Tate and the birth of his twin children by her is affecting his personal life. I know you’ve said the rest of the Kennedy clan is trying to be accepting of Sharon and her kids by Ted, but I can’t imagine everyone’s happy. Who knows what Ted’s other three children by Joan think of Sharon and the twins, Gwen and James.

Last edited:
Oh lordy it's back. Get hype

And glad to be! ;)

I have just finished reading the whole timeline. It is an amazing story and well-researched too! A thousand bravo @President_Lincoln !

@Aristomenes, thank you so much for your kind words and readership! :D I'm so happy that you've enjoyed the story so far, and hope I can keep it up for you as we move along. Welcome aboard!

I didn't realize there was a new update since I didn't get a alert (again). Anyways, great first chapter for Act III. Very interested to see how the rest of Mo Udall's presidency goes.

I'm also curious to see how, despite his victory, Ted Kennedy's marriage to Sharon Tate and the birth of his twin children by her is affecting his personal life. I know you’ve said the rest of the Kennedy clan is trying to be accepting of Sharon and her kids by Ted, but I can’t imagine everyone’s happy. Who knows what Ted’s other three children by Joan think of Sharon and the twins, Gwen and James.

I apologize for you not receiving an alert, Nerdman. That is very odd :( But I'm happy to have you here whenever you can be. :) I'm thrilled you enjoyed the first chapter of the new act and would like to try and give a brief answer to your question about Senator Kennedy's marriage to Ms. Tate...

To say the least, opinions among the Kennedy clan are... mixed. While JFK, the aging patriarch, largely gave his assent due to his firm belief in self-determination for his siblings and children, the more "traditional" members of the family (think Bobby/Ethel and Eunice/Sarge Shriver) are less than pleased about the entire situation. The Kennedys' reputation suffered a close shave with the whole "Hoover Affair" of 1971. In Bobby and Eunice's eyes, the last thing the family needs is Ted going through a "mid-life crisis" and divorcing his wife very publicly to marry some blonde bombshell movie star. At the same time, Bobby and Eunice do still love their little brother, even if his actions concern them at times, and Sharon does seem like a genuine, well intentioned person. After the birth of the twins - Gwen and James - Bobby agreed, albeit with some reluctance, to serve as their Godfather, and began to speak with his brother again on more than just "business" - politics and the goings on in the Senate. Sharon found an initially cold welcome from Ethel and Jackie, but eventually they too began to open up and see her as a legitimate sister in law. If nothing else, the family is happy that Ted has sworn to moderate his use of alcohol and to remain faithful to his new wife, whom he still insists is "the love of his life". Only time will tell if his promises will be honored, but the family's scars are being healed nonetheless, with JFK now turning his attention to his two eldest children - Caroline and John, Jr. - as the two of them prepare to decide what they will do with their lives... As mentioned in a previous update, Caroline, always "the Quiet Kennedy" has had a change of heart following her coverage of the '76 election. She's beginning to think maybe politics, or some kind of public service, might be in her future as well...

Anyways, hope some of that was interesting for you. :) Next update should be up soon, I hope. Cheers everyone, and Merry Christmas! :D

8e514480f2198545fb3582fc4b949ca1.jpg