Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

1976 looms now! Always enjoy hear updates from you and I was rather sad to hear about Robert Plant dying here though. :cryingface: Wonder when we might get an update on the UK's state of industry soon as the late 70's was when the country's previously powerful industrial industry was dying and it will be interesting to see if things remain the same of if the deindustrialisation isn't so bad here. Maybe early devolution in Scotland and Wales might help with this or if some certain goodwill trade tours helped...? ;)

Always a great joy though to experience all the great twist and turns in this TL! :)

And now Gene Simmons is married to Cher! Poor thing, what has he done to deserve this?
If only he could turn back time... -dodge-

That said, would it be possible to see a comics related update in the foreseeable future? 1974 is the year the All-New, All-Different X-Men debuted OTL followed by the relaunch of X-Men and I think Marvel would probably try to see about relaunching The "New" Mutants with an international line-up. The 70s were a tumultuous time for Marvel as it was the decade where the company had SEVEN editors-in-chief (Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway, Archie Goodwin, and Jim Shooter) and is ripe for butterflies. One thought I had was what if Jim Shooter-for whatever reason-stays with DC ITTL. That could have some very noticeable effects on the industry as a whole as Shooter was partially responsible for Marvel's renaissance in the late 70s/early 80s. It would possibly also butterfly the New Teen Titans as Marv Wolfman went to DC to get away from Shooter.

Just a thought.

Sorry for not commenting recently. I haven’t been using my account for a while due to my waning interest on the forum and distractions in my life, but I’m glad to say I caught up with your TL. I’ll try to comment more here and give my two cents on future updates.

Congrats on your 100th update.

R.I.P Robert Plant, It's a tragedy, so maybe Bonham survive here. About the xerox, maybe it's a trillion dollar company in 2019 ITL

NBA Finals

The Golden State Warriors win 4 games to 0 over the Chicago Bulls.

Did I miss something or did the bulls get placed in the eastern conference early? Because at the time they were in the western conference with the warriors and would not have met them in the finals. Also thanks for ending the Buffalo sports jinx.

R.I.P Robert Plant, It's a tragedy, so maybe Bonham survive here. About the xerox, maybe it's a trillion dollar company in 2019 ITL

I seem to remember Xerox having this as a serious missed opportunity iotl. Kodak had a very similar story in terms of digital cameras; they had the technology early but decided to ignore it in favor of greater profits from film, which eventually led to their downfall. Might Kodak produce digital cameras early ITTL and thrive instead?

It could be something not entirely in his hands. IIRC the reason he cast Alec Guinness was that the studio told him he needed at least one big-name actor in the cast. If he decides to go with Toshiro Mifune for Obi-Wan he might be able to placate the studio by casting Hamill and Fisher. As for why Hamill would do it, well Mark might very well be sold on the idea of playing a space hero like Buck Rodgers. He might be willing to take what might be seen as a step back careerwise on the logic that Jaws gives him a bit of wiggle room to take a few projects because they sound fun over big-name efforts.

To answer @Nerdman3000's questions/concerns about Hamill and Fisher still being cast in Star Wars ITTL, I would like to use @volantredx's quoted answer here as the (admittedly simple) in-universe reasoning for Lucas casting them. I also agree with the posts that have said that ITTL Star Wars might come out with a bit more expectation than it received upon its initial release IOTL. Whereas, as you folks have mentioned, it was seen as little more than a "B Movie" at first, I think here, given Lucas' success with American Graffiti, and Hamill's success with Jaws, Star Wars (even if the project might seem a little "wacky" to average folks at first), could have some anticipation and hype built into it already. Thus when it comes out and enjoys great success, it could be a very serious contender for the 1978 Best Picture Oscar... :)

Speaking of which, @President_Lincoln, how is a little known Chicago area band named Styx doing?

Similarly to IOTL, Styx is mostly a rocking, Prog band with a loyal fanbase in Chicago and the surrounding area at the moment, but have struggled to break through into mainstream popularity. That being said, their power balled "Lady" is beginning to slowly receive national attention and radio play, and could see them start to earn that recognition they crave. ;)

NBA Finals

The Golden State Warriors win 4 games to 0 over the Chicago Bulls.

Did I miss something or did the bulls get placed in the eastern conference early? Because at the time they were in the western conference with the warriors and would not have met them in the finals. Also thanks for ending the Buffalo sports jinx.

Whoops! This was an oversight on my part. :p My apologies; sports are not always my strongest suit (except for baseball, which I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about). Is there another team that would have been likely to face the Warriors around '75? :)

Is there another team that would have been likely to face the Warriors around '75?

The Bullets were their OTL foe, led by the Elvin Hayes-Wes Unseld frontcourt. Another candidate would be the Celtics, who IOTL won championships in 1974 and 1976, led by John Havlicek.

And @President_Lincoln I'm offering up my services for basketball-related stuff, around the end of the decade you have Magic and Bird arriving in the NBA (and IOTL the NBA-ABA merger happens in 1976, so is that still on track ITTL?)

I seem to remember Xerox having this as a serious missed opportunity iotl. Kodak had a very similar story in terms of digital cameras; they had the technology early but decided to ignore it in favor of greater profits from film, which eventually led to their downfall. Might Kodak produce digital cameras early ITTL and thrive instead?

Company culture is usually the reason behind stuff like this, often easier to make different new upstart company get it than have old originating company actually capitalize on their invention.

Did Duane Allman survive?

Greetings, your Majesty! I am happy to say that, yes! Duane Allman did, in fact survive his motorcycle crash ITTL. :) He has continued to play and tour with his brother, Greg and the Allman Brothers Band; seeing them attain the mass success of OTL and even more so, thanks to Duane's exceptional guitar work. ITTL, he will likely be discussed as one of the all-time greats, alongside Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and the like. :D

220px-Duane_Allman.jpg

The Bullets were their OTL foe, led by the Elvin Hayes-Wes Unseld frontcourt. Another candidate would be the Celtics, who IOTL won championships in 1974 and 1976, led by John Havlicek.

And @President_Lincoln I'm offering up my services for basketball-related stuff, around the end of the decade you have Magic and Bird arriving in the NBA (and IOTL the NBA-ABA merger happens in 1976, so is that still on track ITTL?)

Hmmm both the Bullets and the Celtics are interesting choices. I think I'll retcon the update slightly and put the Bullets instead of the Bulls. :) Thank you for the feedback and offer of help with Basketball stuff in the future! Goodness knows I'll need all the help that I can get there, and @SavoyTruffle, you appear to be quite knowledgeable! :D I look forward to any ideas and advice you can offer as we move forward. My plan would be that the NBA-ABA merger will still happen in '76, as per OTL.

Hi Mr President I was wondering if Turkey after what happened to it rejoined NATO? I could see Bush trying to convince the new President of Turkey to rejoin and worried about the country falling under the Soviet Union's sphere of influence.

Greetings, your Majesty! I am happy to say that, yes! Duane Allman did, in fact survive his motorcycle crash ITTL. :) He has continued to play and tour with his brother, Greg and the Allman Brothers Band; seeing them attain the mass success of OTL and even more so, thanks to Duane's exceptional guitar work. ITTL, he will likely be discussed as one of the all-time greats, alongside Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and the like. :D

220px-Duane_Allman.jpg

That's excellent! Hopefully, Lynyrd Skynyrd can avoid the plane crash, making Southern Rock even better ittl.

When's the next update?

Hopefully later this evening or tomorrow. :) My apologies for the delay. Starting a more full-time work schedule has definitely cut down on my free time. :p

Hi Mr President I was wondering if Turkey after what happened to it rejoined NATO? I could see Bush trying to convince the new President of Turkey to rejoin and worried about the country falling under the Soviet Union's sphere of influence.

A good question, @Kennedy Forever. Thankfully for Turkey (and the western world, hoping to avoid the spread of Soviet influence), Turkey never actually left NATO. :) While it did withdrawal from the formal command structure, it has since returned.

One of President Bush's biggest challenges was how to confront the regime there knowing that he could not threaten to remove them from the alliance, as the NATO charter does not have a provision for something like that. Now that a Democratic government has been restored, Bush is hoping for a return to Normalcy there.

That's excellent! Hopefully, Lynyrd Skynyrd can avoid the plane crash, making Southern Rock even better ittl.

Thanks! I hope so too. :)