Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

@cmakk1012 about TMT being known or not may change the publics opinion...i think the best way to solve TMT is to have a stray s200 fall on them (thank god it did not hit Nicosia...) But it think the best way to resolve the problem is if the british helt a general referendum in 1950 or if you halt the greek civil war in it's tracks giving greece a chance to ge more territory(northern epirus and cyprus)

Last edited:
Congrats for reaching 100 chapters, @President_Lincoln!

About the chapter: good that some...how to say, some of the worst candidates have dropped off the race. Karma is a real bitch, and as these gentlemen have just found out, it comes to bite you in the ass when you least expect it. As for the Angolan civil war and the troubles with South Africa, I seriously hope it all ends well, and that it becomes a chance to end Apartheid earlier.

Happy 100 chapters @President_Lincoln! :D

Anyways, some quick thoughts and notes: First a possible error that I wanted to point out, but SNL, otherwise known as Saturday Night Live, was originally called NBC’s Saturday Night when it first premiered in 1975. It was not called Saturday Night Live until more than a year and a half/two years after premiering, in 1977.

Moving on from that, I think it’d be hilarious if whenever early SNL do a sketch about JFK ITTL, they bring in Vaughn Meader to reprise the role (on a side note, wonder what’s happened to him ITTL).

Anyways, moving on, if Lloyd Bentsen manages to win the presidency, I could legitimately see him getting primaried in 1980 by RFK. Would certainly be a twist.

Finally, I’m curious to see how the situation in South Africa turns out. While it’s great to see Bush going up against Apartheid, he certainly has to be careful in how he handles that, as he could end up alienating both members of his party, as well as possibly essentially unintentionally setting gas and flames and escalate things in the precarious situation in South Africa if he doesn’t handle that situation right. Last thing he or anybody needs is some of South Africa’s leaders overreacting and doing something stupid and terrible in retaliation to the black South African’s affected by Apartheid.

Also another criticsim: I can see them fearing a Kennedy but I think they'd emulate Roosevelt who was universally beloved by Democrats and was very good at deal making, making all parties happy, including the south.
I mean, the Kennedy’s and Roosevelt’s are the two biggest 20th Century political families in both OTL and most especially in ITTL, with JFK and RFK surviving. If they ever joined forces in a election ticket, like I suggested once by suggesting that RFK run in 1980 with James Roosevelt II as his running mate, as combined they’d be a huge force to be reckoned with. It’s not like it wouldn’t be entirely unprecedented either for both families to join forces in ITTL and OTL, considering in ITTL, the Kennedy’s supported James Roosevelt II when he ran in California and in OTL (and presumably still ITTL following JFK’s survival), the Kennedy’s were close to Alice Roosevelt Longsworth (who fun fact, is one of my favorite American historical figures).

I mean, I could see something like this being an actual ITTL quote, “American politics in the 20th century can be defined by two names: Kennedy and Roosevelt. God help the poor sap running against them if they actually join forces.”

Last edited:
Anyways, some quick thoughts and notes: First a possible error that I wanted to point out, but SNL, otherwise known as Saturday Night Live, was originally called NBC’s Saturday Night when it first premiered in 1975. It was called Saturday Night Live until more than a year and a half/two years after premiering, in 1977.
The only reason for that was because there was a show on another network that was called "Saturday Night Live" IOTL.
That one didn't last so NBC's show picked up the name after the other got cancelled.

It's possible that butterflies have caused the other show to either not exist or have a different name.

Finally, I’m curious to see how the situation in South Africa turns out. While it’s great to see Bush going up against Apartheid, he certainly has to be careful in how he handles that, as he could end up alienating both members of his party, as well as possibly essentially unintentionally setting gas and flames and escalate things in the precarious situation in South Africa if he doesn’t handle that situation right. Last thing he or anybody needs is some of South Africa’s leaders overreacting and doing something stupid and terrible in retaliation to the black South African’s affected by Apartheid.
Problem is, for all their claims of being a good bulwark against Communism, well, their actions aren't at all conducive towards driving them out. In fact, allying with them has probably driven more people to their side, because shockingly, nobody who isn't white as snow is gonna sign up with them.

Greetings all! :D Please let me take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy Independence Day! :) To quote my hero and all time favorite President, Abraham Lincoln: "I never had a feeling politically that did not spring from the sentiments embodied in the Declaration of Independence." I hope today is filled with good cheer, patriotism, and a fair bit of summer fun for all of you. I also wanted to thank you all for the kind words and congratulations again about Blue Skies in Camelot reaching its 100th regular chapter. Once again, let me reiterate my firm belief that this timeline would not be here if it were not for the warmth, kindness, and support you all provide on a regular basis to both me and the timeline. Thank you so much!

upload_2019-7-4_22-25-24.png

If I may, I would also like to provide a quick status report on the future of BSiC, my writing plans, and basically just check in with you all, as well as answer a few questions you've posed.

My goal, as ever with TTL, is to bring it through several more decades before it reaches its final conclusion. (Its subtitle is An Alternate 60's and Beyond, after all). I have ideas and plans which carry events ITTL all the way to the present day in some cases, though I do not expect that I will want to write narrative which takes us all the way up to that point. I can firmly say that I do have a fixed story line end-point in mind for BSiC and though I will not spoil what it is, I expect it to fall somewhere around the years 2005 - 2008. (Let the speculation commence! Or feel free to just sit back, pop some popcorn, and be along for the ride). I will say that we are nearing the end of "Act II" and will soon start up "Act III" (which I believe will likely require the posting of a new thread at some point, thanks to all of the spirited feedback and discussion that this one has generated!). As always, I welcome suggestions and ideas. I love hearing what you all think and trying to implement as much of what you suggest as I am able.

I apologize for the lack of updates and overall momentum over on BSiC: Closer to Home, my microhistory supplement to Blue Skies. :( I offer no excuses for the lack of activity there on my end, simply a combination of many real-life distractions, and a LOT of creative writing projects (both AH related and otherwise) going on at the same time. I consider BSiC: Closer to Home to still be semi-active, and I do hope to return more actively to it at some point, but my focus for the time being is definitely on the primary TL proper. Again, hopefully, I will be able to get back on the horse with Closer to Home at some point soon.

I also have several ideas for totally different timelines that I would like to write in the future which have been percolating in my imagination for a while now, and which have always taken a back seat to Blue Skies, as I do not want to over-commit myself to too many projects at once and then just not end up working on any of them very well. After Act II is complete, I am toying with the idea of posting TTL "Acts I & II" in the finished forum, and at least starting on one of those ideas, so that I can have a bit of a break from Blue Skies and explore some other Alt-History scenarios. That isn't to say that I won't finish it. FAR FROM IT :D The plan is still absolutely to finish Blue Skies in Camelot as I intend it (being Four - Five Acts and an epilogue), I just might want to tinker around with some other ideas as well. Regardless of whether any other TL's come out of these experiments or not, expect Act III of Blue Skies in Camelot to pick up shortly after my "break".

Just to shamelessly gauge interest, my focus is still firmly American History and I want to possibly write some what-ifs surrounding my other favorite Presidents: Theodore and/or Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and of course, the big, eponymous, heroic one - Abraham Lincoln. If you all would be interested in hearing some of the other TL ideas I have, I would be happy to discuss them here or via PM. In an effort to keep this post (relatively) short, I'll leave it at that for now. :)

Anyways, on to questions!

@President_Lincoln Any hint on what the next few chapters after Pop Culture 1975 is going to be?

Certainly, Nerdman! :D

Chapter 101 - Star Trek and Star Wars (featuring a large, wonderful guest section written by you, @Nerdman3000! )
Chapter 102 - The rest of the Democratic Primaries and the Democratic National Convention in New York.
Chapter 103 - President Bush and Representative Schlafly battle it out in the Republican Primaries, and the GOP Convention in Kansas City.
Chapter 104 - The 1976 General Election Campaign - Which I am still working on at the moment.

I did leave something about sports for you, Mr. President. Hope to get some input.

Thank you, @AndyWho! My apologies for not being quicker to respond. :( This summer has been a lot busier IRL than I expected it to be. I will try to read your message and give a thorough, thoughtful answer as soon as possible!

Glad youll see about keeping both going when you can, and, I'd be interested in those other TL ideas you have. You could PM me about them, if you'd like. Reply to my PM's when you have time as well, Mr. President. We can work on the idea I gave you for the '76' GOP.

Really excited about the future of this timeline and what will happen in the following Acts. I'm also really excited about any future timelines about your favourite presidents.

Finally am caught up---I have been lurking for the last several months upon first discovering this--and I just wanted to say to @President_Lincoln that this is easily in the top ten fan fics that I've read, novel quality at that. Just the detail, the obvious passion, and exceptional skill put into this is just amazing. So much so that I felt compelled to sign up to the site and post personally to thank you for it, I look forward to future installments!

One question, where does Al Gore stand Factionally? Is he some sort of Liberal Kennedy guy or a Christian Democrat (something that his otl positions around this time would line up with nicely)

I'm sure you're getting sick of the 'where is so and so' by know so I'll limit myself to one and refrain from further asking. Has Cliff Finch of Mississippi decided to run for Governor (in Mississippi and Louisiana governor elections are in the year before the election)?

Really excited about the future of this timeline and what will happen in the following Acts. I'm also really excited about any future timelines about your favourite presidents.

Congratulations on reaching your 100th chapter @President_Lincoln.

Is Gough Whitlam still prime minister of Australia in November 1975?

Thank you @Kennedy Forever and @C2sg! :D I'm so happy to hear that your excitement for Blue Skies continues. :) Those timeline ideas I've had for a while are something I would be happy to expand upon and talk about, if that's something you all are interested in hearing about.

Gough Whitlam is, in fact, still Prime Minister of Australia ITTL. :) He took over the torch as the 18th PM of Australia on December 5th, 1972, from Liberal Harold Holt.

Harold Holt (Liberal) - Jan. 26th, 1966 - December 5th, 1972
Gough Whitlam (Labor) - December 5th, 1972 -

Finally am caught up---I have been lurking for the last several months upon first discovering this--and I just wanted to say to @President_Lincoln that this is easily in the top ten fan fics that I've read, novel quality at that. Just the detail, the obvious passion, and exceptional skill put into this is just amazing. So much so that I felt compelled to sign up to the site and post personally to thank you for it, I look forward to future installments!

@DarkDestroyer, thank you so much for your incredibly kind words! :D I'm touched and moved by your praise, and hope that I can keep it up for you as we move on into the future. ;)

One question, where does Al Gore stand Factionally? Is he some sort of Liberal Kennedy guy or a Christian Democrat (something that his otl positions around this time would line up with nicely)

Al Gore, Jr., who is currently running for a U.S. House seat in his home state of Tennessee (the same House seat, in fact, which used to belong to his father), is a stubbornly moderate Democrat. While he naturally tends to fit better geographically and ideologically with the Christian Democrats, his Ivy League education have pushed him a little further to the left than some others in his wing of the party. He'd probably try to make the case that rushing to one side of the social policy spectrum is a "good way to alienate a bunch of potential voters". Like OTL, the environment is perhaps the issue Gore is the most passionate about. Though ITTL, he is also an avid opponent of torture and a war hawk due to his experiences as a POW in Cambodia.

I'm sure you're getting sick of the 'where is so and so' by know so I'll limit myself to one and refrain from further asking. Has Cliff Finch of Mississippi decided to run for Governor (in Mississippi and Louisiana governor elections are in the year before the election)?

Hey @Gerbbro, please don't feel the need to apologize! :D I'm happy to answer as many questions as you can think of, of any and all varieties! :) Cliff Finch is, in fact, still running for Governor of Mississippi ITTL, a race I am happy to confirm he will win.

220px-Cliff_Finch.jpg

Gough Whitlam is, in fact, still Prime Minister of Australia ITTL. :) He took over the torch as the 18th PM of Australia on December 5th, 1972, from Liberal Harold Holt.

Harold Holt (Liberal) - Jan. 26th, 1966 - December 5th, 1972
Gough Whitlam (Labor) - December 5th, 1972 -

Harold Holt not drowing really makes any TL strange.....:p