Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Happy Centenary.

100 CHAPTERS, BABY!

Thank you all very much! :D I'm so thrilled (and honestly flabbergasted) that we have come this far in Blue Skies in Camelot. I hope I can keep it up into the future and make the next 100 chapters as enjoyable as the first. I could not have done any of this without all of you, and so I say: thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being such wonderful readers. :D I love you all.

Just saying, South Africa passed to British control from the Dutch in 1806, long before that 1850 mark in the update :winkytongue:

Otherwise fantastic! (On a side note, Chapter 98 still says that Egypt claimed the West Bank, which they never did, they claimed Gaza.)

Personally, I'm hoping for a John Glenn/Mo Udall ticket.

Just saying, South Africa passed to British control from the Dutch in 1806, long before that 1850 mark in the update :winkytongue:

Otherwise fantastic! (On a side note, Chapter 98 still says that Egypt claimed the West Bank, which they never did, they claimed Gaza.)

Personally, I'm hoping for a John Glenn/Mo Udall ticket.

Thank you for the corrections! I will fix those now. :p

What about Cyprus, what’s going to happen there? In the absence of Turkish intervention the political struggles over enosis might continue.

@emperor joe You’re Cypriot IIRC, what’s your thoughts on this?
Well the war happened because of the geopolitics of the time(talks of the British to remove the military bases due to budgetary constraints,the refusal of makarios to join NATO or allow american bases and his close relations with other orthodox countries..with most of them been communists..(you see the problem) and ofcourse the coud d'etat that turned the world's opinion against the greeks(of course eoka b's activities did help nor the fact that TMT "activities" were not widely known...anyway the main point was with the danger of the british pulling out and with makario's close relations with the east made a nato presens in the island extremely desirable to counter act any potential soviet presens in the area

Good update; a shame McCarthy dropped out, but maybe the tide of history just passed him by...

Dan Aykroyd as Bush is inspired (hope he's as good as Dana Carvey was); hope SNL still does the Franco is still dead joke...

Wonder what Lloyd Bentsen's famous quote will be ITTL...

I see Hunter S. Thompson will be writing a different book from OTL; nice to see him here...

Wonder how Angola and South Africa (and Apartheid) are going to go, and what role Dellums will play in it (Dellums was Bernie Sanders before Bernie Sanders' rise to prominence; he was also a former Marine. BTW, hope his son Michael avoids going to jail for a drug-related homicide ITTL)...

The 1976 Democratic primaries will be interesting, to put it mildly...

BTW, @President_Lincoln, "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" was released on December 8th, 1975 by AC/DC, so congrats for continuing the pattern, and waiting for more...

And happy 100 chapters, @President_Lincoln, with many more to come...

Last edited:
Happy 100th update and a fascinating one at that. I won’t discuss modern politics, but it’s very intriguing to mentally compare current primaries with these ones...

Well the war happened because of the geopolitics of the time(talks of the British to remove the military bases due to budgetary constraints,the refusal of makarios to join NATO or allow american bases and his close relations with other orthodox countries..with most of them been communists..(you see the problem) and ofcourse the coud d'etat that turned the world's opinion against the greeks(of course eoka b's activities did help nor the fact that TMT "activities" were not widely known...anyway the main point was with the danger of the british pulling out and with makario's close relations with the east made a nato presens in the island extremely desirable to counter act any potential soviet presens in the area

I wonder if Britain won’t suggest closing the bases ITTL? With Turkey briefly going fascist in this era, the bases might just seem more important.

Anyway, it sounds like in the absence of the Turkish intervention that the paramilitary and political struggles between Turks and Greeks on Cyprus might continue. If word of the TMT did get out, and the violence escalated, I wonder if Britain might be able to intervene politically and sponsor peace talks, or something like that?

Happy 100th update and a fascinating one at that. I won’t discuss modern politics, but it’s very intriguing to mentally compare current primaries with these ones...

I wonder if Britain won’t suggest closing the bases ITTL? With Turkey briefly going fascist in this era, the bases might just seem more important.

Anyway, it sounds like in the absence of the Turkish intervention that the paramilitary and political struggles between Turks and Greeks on Cyprus might continue. If word of the TMT did get out, and the violence escalated, I wonder if Britain might be able to intervene politically and sponsor peace talks, or something like that?
No the brits knew since TMT's birth in 1957 that it existed and of course knew that after 1960 that it was still operationally active and supported by turkey...i ment that the general public did not of know that it was a thing...about the bases..well if the british want get out of cyprus they could sell the bases to the Americans...after all the bases are sovereign and not in the republic's control and they come with an assortment of outpost's with THE most important being the mount olympus radar base it is said that no fly can take off in Tehran without cyprus hearing it...

@cmakk1012 i don't to appear bellicose or something but i don't think that the cyprus problem is solvable..not without blood..i mean they could have a referendum but i am 100 percent sure that turkey is gonna object at least...

Happy 100th chapter Mr President. You certainly earned it! Thank you for answering my question about the Shah and Presidents Romney and Bush. The field for Democratic nominee is certainly a large one. I also liked you bringing up the Angolan Civil War too. Since in your timeline Ronald Reagan is VP how has he been doing negotiating with the Congress and issueing any tiebreakers? Great job! Keep it up!

No the brits knew since TMT's birth in 1957 that it existed and of course knew that after 1960 that it was still operationally active and supported by turkey...i ment that the general public did not of know that it was a thing...about the bases..well if the british want get out of cyprus they could sell the bases to the Americans...after all the bases are sovereign and not in the republic's control and they come with an assortment of outpost's with THE most important being the mount olympus radar base it is said that no fly can take off in Tehran without cyprus hearing it...

Would it make a difference if the public knew about TMT?

It would be quite an unexpected twist if the sale of the Cypriot bases ended up becoming a political issue in America.

@cmakk1012 i don't to appear bellicose or something but i don't think that the cyprus problem is solvable..not without blood..i mean they could have a referendum but i am 100 percent sure that turkey is gonna object at least...

I get what you mean, yeah. I can’t see it ending without bloodshed either, but maybe it could not escalate to a full-on war? Maybe there’s a large-scale rebellion that Turkey funds under the table instead that ends in some sort of negotiated solution.

Would a Bosnia-Herzegovina style “two nations under one” government work?

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
“A curious potential voter was seated at the back of an auditorium for a debate between Presidential candidates. He watched intently as a local preacher opened the event with an invocation. ‘Does the preacher pray for the candidates?’ he asked. ‘No,’ replied his companion, ‘he looks at the candidates and then prays for his country.’” - Representative Mo Udall (D - AZ), sharing a favorite joke with an adoring audience in Des Moines, Iowa, who immediately broke out into laughter, cheers, and applause.

if you don't mind I'm going to steal this one. :):p;)

Saturday Night Live

hope SNL still does the Franco is still dead joke...

Seconded here; you beat me to answering the question.

In any case, congrats again on 100 updates! Here's to a hundred thousand more. You're the best.