Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Ficboy

Banned
Greetings to you all, my beloved audience!

First, allow me to guess the first thing that's probably on your mind: it's been a while. Yes. It absolutely has.

Let me begin this long overdue update post with an apology. I am deeply sorry that I have largely disappeared from the site over the last few months. As some of you have noticed and pointed out, I have popped in now and again to read the discussion here and check out some other threads I've been following. I haven't, however, done much in the way of interacting. I see that I have private messages from some of you that date back to June and have yet to be answered. I wish I had been more active in writing back in a reasonable amount of time. I hope to get back to all of you sometime within the next day or so. Thank you for your saintly patience with me.

If I may, please indulge me to follow this apology up with an explanation.

As cliché as it is to say, this year has been really tough. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this, and I can't claim any one particular hardship that alone explains how I have been feeling lately. But generally, I have been quite depressed. While I am thankful and feel quite blessed that my immediate family, friends, and I have remained safe and healthy throughout the pandemic thus far, the secondary effects of the situation have been difficult for me to grapple with. I am unemployed, and have been for some time. I am unable to see my extended family and friends, whom I miss quite dearly. Events that I typically look forward to in the summer and fall have been obviously cancelled. While these actions and decisions are absolutely right and proper to help end this crisis, they do take an emotional and mental toll on all of us. I find myself lonely frequently. Because my family is decidedly working class, and both my parents are essential workers, I worried about their safety and our financial solvency. Delays to my degree program left me feeling useless, and like a leech on them. I know that is unfair and overly hard on myself, but it was how I felt at the time.

As you can imagine, all of this has affected me and my creative process in rather profound ways.

For the last several months, getting out of bed and taking care of myself from day to day felt like an achievement. My creative output slowed until it became virtually nothing. I do not exaggerate when I write that before this afternoon, I hadn't even looked at my Blue Skies material in over a month. I found myself trapped in a vicious cycle. I would want to write something, produce something, just to feel a sense of accomplishment, only to put too much pressure on myself and come up with nothing. This in turn would fuel my anxiety about myself. I began to feel like I was never any good as a writer to begin with, and that I should just give up on all my projects altogether.

Thankfully, I did not face these things alone.

Over the last several weeks, I have learned to accept the offers of help coming from those closest to me, and I began to address what I was feeling, and put together a plan of action to combat them. My friends and I are back to our weekly games of D&D (well, a Star Wars TTRPG, and Call of Cthulhu actually), playing on Roll20, and I could not be more thrilled about that. My girlfriend and I video chat and watch episodes of Psych together (I've already seen them all, but they make me laugh, which, I've learned, is tremendous medicine). And I've even begun to write again, though my output is small and slow at the moment. I'm just happy with where I am. Something is better than nothing.

I know I have said this before, but I want to sincerely thank all of you for keeping this thread alive. This TL is one of my favorite things that I have ever been a part of. I genuinely consider each of you to be a friend, and I want that to continue for as long as it possibly can. Looking toward the future of Blue Skies is difficult for me at the moment, but I want to share my thoughts, if you'll again allow me. (I'm sorry this post is so long!)

One of the things I have struggled with as I begin to plan and write for BSiC again is in finding the narrative I want to tell. I am happy with much of my work on it thus far, but there is so much I want to retcon and change. Some of these things will be relatively minor, dates, details, etc. But some are rather major. I intend to take the advice that several of you have offered me on this, and finish Act III before making any revisions. This will allow me to continue moving forward, then decide what to change later. If you all are interested in hearing more about intended changes, please feel free to ask.

Secondly, I must admit that my feelings toward the world at present have made writing more of this TL rather challenging for a unique reason: my intention is for TTL to be a more hopeful world than the one we presently inhabit. Going all the way back to 2017 when this TL began, that was always my intention for Blue Skies in Camelot. I wanted to imagine what a rosier, kinder, gentler world might look like, beginning with icons like Marilyn Monroe and JFK surviving their untimely fates. Again, this year has made hope a rather rare commodity, hasn't it?

And yet, I still hold hope for our world. Despite all of the horror we have already faced this year, I believe in us. I still believe that we will learn from our mistakes and do better for the future. I have faith in us to turn this thing around. And grandiose as this may sound: I want Blue Skies to be a part of that dream. I want to find the hope again and continue this story.

Unlike my last "Return" update, I won't promise a certain output or post schedule. I will only say that I intend to come back once more, and keep this story going with your help, all of you. In the event that there are more intolerable delays on my end, I also want to say that I love and value each and every one of you. You are important. You are unique. And you are loved. Stay strong and stay hopeful, fellow AltHistory fans, and remember what Henry David Thoreau once wrote:

"It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see."

Best wishes,
President_Lincoln
Anyway, you've done a fantastic job at creating a timeline as lengthy and detailed as Blue Skies in Camelot. If I were you I would kept other things like sports and entertainment like Star Wars and the Houston Astros the same like their OTL counterparts for specific circumstances. Also you should allow your admirers to create an Expanded Universe akin to What Madness Is This? which is the cream of the crop for alternate timelines. You should also publish this as a book someday given the storytelling and content.

Anyway, you've done a fantastic job at creating a timeline as lengthy and detailed as Blue Skies in Camelot. I would kept other things like sports and entertainment like Star Wars and the Houston Astros the same like OTL for specific circumstances. Also you should allow your admirers to create an Expanded Universe akin to What Madness Is This? which is the cream of the crop for alternate timelines.

A BSiC extended universe sounds like an incredible idea! If you all would like to work on something like that, I would be thrilled to sign off on it. :D And thank you for your kind words. :) I'm glad you've enjoyed the TL thus far.

Man, I’m so sorry for everything you went through this year. The silver lining is that 2020 is almost over with only three months to go. 2021 has to be a better year than 2020 has been.

Anyway you’ve done a beyond amazing job with BSiC, and I’ll be with you on this incredible journey of a TL every step of the way.

Sorry you had to go through so much. Hoping 2021 will be a better year, and things can keep returning to actual normal. Also, an expanded BSIC universe sounds like an awesome idea.

Damn, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been having a tough year so far. I hope that things keep getting better, and that you’ll keep up this excellent TL!

Thank you! I'm feeling hopeful that they will. :) I'm glad to hear you like the TL!

I'd like to hear some likely changes you might make in the future.

I will likely have to make several posts on this, but just to give some examples off the top of my head:
  • Adding detail/clarifying the Cambodian Conflict. As it is currently portrayed in the TL, it comes off as a massive American victory, which is not at all how I really intended it to. I was thinking it would become sort of TTL's Vietnam, dragging into a hopeless insurgency before ultimately costing President George Bush his reelection in 1976.
  • Being more "realistic" with the ACP and its movement in the late 60's and early 70's. I feel that as a Progressive myself, my politics may have influenced my portrayal of what should have been a more nuanced third party.
  • Bringing in more historical characters. As of the last few dozen updates, I've sort of lost touch with the more personal chapters, like I used to write for JFK, Hillary Rodham Bush, etc. I'd like to begin doing more of those, especially around Mo Udall, who is one of my favorite historical personages IOTL.

Do it. Also publish it as a book please.

This interests me greatly! I'll have to do some research, but the information you've all provided me with in the thread is definitely enticing. Just the idea of having a book I've written published and on my shelf in physical form... that's been my biggest dream since I was a boy.

Man, I’m so sorry for everything you went through this year. The silver lining is that 2020 is almost over with only three months to go. 2021 has to be a better year than 2020 has been.

Anyway you’ve done a beyond amazing job with BSiC, and I’ll be with you on this incredible journey of a TL every step of the way.
Sorry you had to go through so much. Hoping 2021 will be a better year, and things can keep returning to actual normal. Also, an expanded BSIC universe sounds like an awesome idea.

Thank you both very much. I hope 2021 is a better year as well. :)

Ficboy

Banned
Thank you! I'm feeling hopeful that they will. :) I'm glad to hear you like the TL!

I will likely have to make several posts on this, but just to give some examples off the top of my head:
  • Adding detail/clarifying the Cambodian Conflict. As it is currently portrayed in the TL, it comes off as a massive American victory, which is not at all how I really intended it to. I was thinking it would become sort of TTL's Vietnam, dragging into a hopeless insurgency before ultimately costing President George Bush his reelection in 1976.
  • Being more "realistic" with the ACP and its movement in the late 60's and early 70's. I feel that as a Progressive myself, my politics may have influenced my portrayal of what should have been a more nuanced third party.
  • Bringing in more historical characters. As of the last few dozen updates, I've sort of lost touch with the more personal chapters, like I used to write for JFK, Hillary Rodham Bush, etc. I'd like to begin doing more of those, especially around Mo Udall, who is one of my favorite historical personages IOTL.

This interests me greatly! I'll have to do some research, but the information you've all provided me with in the thread is definitely enticing. Just the idea of having a book I've written published and on my shelf in physical form... that's been my biggest dream since I was a boy.
Your dream will almost come true. Also, I suggest posting a BSiC Expanded Universe as soon as possible since you like it. It's your destiny man.

There's always Sea Lion Press.

So sorry for hearing how things have been for you, however we're all in the same situation and things have been hard here too. Nonetheless you my good friend have created one of the greatest ATL on the forum!

Hope to hear more from you soon and that even any friendly PM chat I would be happy to do so as we all want to help each other in these difficult times. :)

The world has been tough on all of us. We all feel the decrease of hope with each new event and we all can't help but stumble through life because of this. All that matters is that you're okay and willing to stand back up after falling down, which we're happy to see that you are. Just keep going at your own pace and keep your spirits up.

Ficboy

Banned
The world has been tough on all of us. We all feel the decrease of hope with each new event and we all can't help but stumble through life because of this. All that matters is that you're okay and willing to stand back up after falling down, which we're happy to see that you are. Just keep going at your own pace and keep your spirits up.
2020 is the worst year ever for the 21st century. I doubt that 2021 and other years will be better due to the worsened tensions. Dylann Roof pretty much caused one component of this racial strife to escalate as well as certain outside agitators.

Sorry to hear that, I hope things go better for you
If it makes you feel better, I really enjoyed reading this AU during your quarantine. Oftenly one sees dystopic AUs, but yours was certainly an optimistic one that I enjoyed reading.

I hope that your financial situation improves, and that you can continue to soldier on!
Over the last several weeks, I have learned to accept the offers of help coming from those closest to me, and I began to address what I was feeling, and put together a plan of action to combat them. My friends and I are back to our weekly games of D&D (well, a Star Wars TTRPG, and Call of Cthulhu actually), playing on Roll20, and I could not be more thrilled about that. My girlfriend and I video chat and watch episodes of Psych together (I've already seen them all, but they make me laugh, which, I've learned, is tremendous medicine). And I've even begun to write again, though my output is small and slow at the moment. I'm just happy with where I am. Something is better than nothing.
This is an absolutely fantastic way to cope. I spend my weekends in Pathfinder games (halfway through DMing Hell's Rebels for my college buddies, they love fighting His Excellency His Grace the Benevolent Leader, High Inquisitor of the Church of Asmodeus, Lord Mayor Paracount Barzillai Thrune, Eternal Leader of Juche Kintargo, Lord Of All The Beasts On The Earth And The Fishes In The Seas, Conqueror Of The Rebellious Scum In The World In General And In Cheliax In Particular, Last King of Ustalav!), and that's my only really enjoyable time through the week. I hope that you're having fun with your Jedi adventures!

Greetings to you all, my beloved audience!

tenor.gif

Holy crap, and I thought if tonight couldn't get any better! (I finished reading an old favorite chapter of my favorite webcomic, and found an Imagine Dragons song that just made my night so much better.) Welcome back President_Lincoln!

If I may, please indulge me to follow this apology up with an explanation.
~SNIP~

As somebody who, like everybody else Mister President, has gone through the motions and experienced some significant periods of depression, uncertainty, or boredom through these past several months, I can't really say in any other way but that I sympathize with your struggles and problems. As somebody aspiring to create stuff for other people to see/read and enjoy, I have been pretty stuck and slow to make anything, with spending most of my time listening to music, checking out social media like AH.com, and binging Youtube, along with the occasional nostalgic yearning for 'more simpler, happier, and more hopeful times', which is probably not exactly the most productive thing since I have typed it out. But I have had my good moments during this a-cursed year!

For example, I have been getting into the Back to the Future franchise as of quite recently. I watched the film a several months ago on Netflix, and watched a 6-hour long playthrough of the Telltale game. I have recently began attending college both in person and through online meetings, I have a new favorite local restaurant chain that a friend introduced me to, and, as mentioned above, a webcomic (that I may or may not have named dropped a few times during my early days here) has recently come back from hiatus this Tuesday, much to my (and most likely several other fans') excitement and happiness. Overall, this week has been pretty good so far!

As for BSiC, for as much as I can't wait to see the next chapter, I understand and feel like I must state that I do think you should put any mental health, loved ones and friendships, and other personal stuff and things first, as stressing yourself out will not be worth it, both for you and your masterpeice. This year has been busy and chaotic for all of us, and I don't blame you for wanting to take a break from things, especially if ongoing events are effecting your family and friends. As for the story itself, I am really interested to see how progress in the 1970s is described and talked about, along with pop culture and international politics in the next chapter. As you can tell by most of my posts on this thread,you can probably tell I'm really into TTL's popular culture, the Beatles, Elvis, Star Trek, Star Wars, Phillip K. Dick, and others have all really interested me and then some.

Blue Skies in Camelot has really affected me like no other story on this website, Mister Abe, as while many would find utopia/better world ah stories "boring" or whatnot, this one is really, really good, and don't exaggerate I wouldn't mind living in this world. As mentioned a while ago, I can imagine growing up ITTL's 00s, reading history books in school, watching documentaries, browsing Wikipedia, and watching history Youtubers talk about the events of this world, also including experiencing this world's popular culture. I am geniully intrigued and hooked on wanting to read and learn what happens to the numerous characters in this story, both present and future. I want to see how the 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s go down, and hopefully you, and maybe even the rest of us willing to contribute, will still have the energy, care, and love that you have now to expand upon and enrich this story, it's lore, and history.

"It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see."

Best wishes,
President_Lincoln

A f*cking incredible quote Mr. President....

I can't wait to see what we get to see next. Thank you for this wonderful, optimistic little story of yours.

Sincerly,
TheDetailer

Last edited:
As a side note, I really enjoyed the more personal stories, and was kinda hoping Lincoln would get back into the groove of writing personal moments and scenes with dialogue and stuff, instead of more third-person history-book-esque chapters. I'd like more scenes like those, please! :) ;-)

Last edited:
@President_Lincoln - Very good to read your words. Sorry it has been a crappy year for you on top of the crappy year it has been for all of us.

I can also relate to the RPG helping to keep me sane, my gaming groups have been an lifeline. I have a small bubble of friends who have been coming over physically which helps.

Laughter does indeed seem to be the best way to deal with 2020.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your year has been crappy.

That said I do have a few suggestions. I think the ACP shouldn't go under QUITE as quickly. There was a LOT of racial resentment in the aftermath of the civil rights movement and even if Nixon wasn't able to harness it SOMEONE was going to. It also wasn't going to go away in the aftermath. Johnson might be able to temper it but it's going to linger.