Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

South Africa might also go differently. There were real tensions and acts of violence in the late 80s and early 90s, and Botha himself was resistant to change. De Klerk for his flaws understood that real concessions had to be made and Mandela was the guy able to look past his own pain and lay down the sword

Great to catch up with this again after what feels like ages! Are we going to get an update surrounding the 1978 World Cup given how that tournament is ripe for political butterflies, especially regarding Argentina and the UK? Speaking of which, I've come to the end of my current TL 'All To Play For' as it is now up to present day and I'll need to come up with another TL soon, haha. Hopefully if you've had the time that you've read through it yourself @President_Lincoln :)

Anyway, hope your well and looking forward to see what happens next in this amazing TL! :biggrin:

Another issue with the Bush war is that there were TWO major nationalist groups. ZANU, led by Robert Mugabe and ZAPU led by Joshua Nkomo. Mugabe was sacked by China, Nkomo by Russia. The war also heated up when Mozambique won independence from Portugal.

Mugabe's downfall might weaken ZANLA but ZAPU is still going to be a thing an Nkomo might be able to assert himself. ZANLA will fracture. On the other hand ZAPU might try to come to the table and try to negotiate allowance to the elections.

Excellent update, the amendment, while far from perfect to both the left and right seems a good solution overall. Perhaps a tax cut(perhaps on sales tax) for the working and middle class would be a good way to use the surplus as well... Also, though his political career seems mostly over, I wonder if Nixon will run in the next election, even if it's just as a running mate to Reagan, as his politics are more similar to Reagan's in this TL.

Excellent update, the amendment, while far from perfect to both the left and right seems a good solution overall. Perhaps a tax cut(perhaps on sales tax) for the working and middle class would be a good way to use the surplus as well... Also, though his political career seems mostly over, I wonder if Nixon will run in the next election, even if it's just as a running mate to Reagan, as his politics are more similar to Reagan's in this TL.
An infamous presidency in the middle of this optimistic timeline would be very interesting to see play out.

Yes, but it would interrupt the flow of the narrative that this timeline is trying to tell, don't you think?

That's really not up to us to decide, is it?

I'm fairly sure President_Lincoln has insinuated that while things are generally more optimistic ITTL, it won't be smooth sailing the entire time.

That's really not up to us to decide, is it?

I'm fairly sure President_Lincoln has insinuated that while things are generally more optimistic ITTL, it won't be smooth sailing the entire time.
^ This.

While indeed this timeline is showing off a world better off and more optimistic than ours, that doesn’t mean everything will go perfectly, There will be tragedies, missteps, and challenges along the way, and to be honest, I really don’t mind that at all. I like to see what challenges stand in the way and our characters will have to face, whenever it be the realms of politics, entertainment, or simply the common folk just trying to get by. And I love that @President_Lincoln, while trying to create a better world (and a darn good story), doesn’t hand wave the problems that would come with it.

^ This.

While indeed this timeline is showing off a world better off and more optimistic than ours, that doesn’t mean everything will go perfectly, There will be tragedies, missteps, and challenges along the way, and to be honest, I really don’t mind that at all. I like to see what challenges stand in the way and our characters will have to face, whenever it be the realms of politics, entertainment, or simply the common folk just trying to get by. And I love that @President_Lincoln, while trying to create a better world (and a darn good story), doesn’t hand wave the problems that would come with it.
The level of detail is amazing. @President_Lincoln does a amazing job including every little bit of history that has happened over the decades. And even some of the little changes like Morgan Freeman being in Star Trek or Reagn being the Vice President are my personal favourites. And I appreciate how optimistic this TL is while at the same time not being a utopia.

Indeed. I respect that he’s not overly utopian while still having optimism win the day

though I do hope we get a new update soon

Last edited:
Personally I hope Udall wins re-election. That way we can get a more liberal court, which will help avoid a lot of Really stupid decisions like mcklesky v Kemp

for elaboration mcklesky made it impossible to address racial disparity in cp. the judge who wrote the ruling admitted after retiring that it was a deeply stupid decision

Last edited:
I still think Nixon will be TTL's Reagan, being elected in 1984 after a split between the social democrats and the new democrats in the '84 primary.