Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: President Udall’s Continued Fight for Native Americans
Nice! It will be very interesting to see how the Native American communities will be affected as TTL goes on. Here's to them doing better than OTL.

I think I will need to include a full length-pop culture-based chapter which covers Elton John and 007 among other things.
Ooooh! That reminds me that I should send some little supplements for my ideas over PMs.

EDIT: Also, here's to seeing where Robocop, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, and other classic movies go in this timeline. ;)

EDIT EDIT: Also, can we get some more information on what Marylin Monroe has been doing in a future chapter? She was the reason we've got this whole timeline in the first place, so maybe a paragraph or two would be nice.

Last edited:
I think I will need to include a full length-pop culture-based chapter which covers Elton John and 007 among other things. As always, feel free to message me with more ideas and suggestions. It's good to be back! :)

People do like them some AH pop-culture, alright :p I know this from experience*. Which is understandable, I suppose. It's always interesting to see the directions entertainment could go in. There's so many different ways Trek could have gone, for instance - we could have had Edward James Olmos as the captain in TNG :p

*Not complaining, mind - as I've often found, most recently on my new TL, such questions and discussions can lead to ideas...

After reading all of your comments on this issue, I think @Worffan101 makes a really strong case here for a "rainy day fund" as opposed to an out and out balanced budget amendment. It will take me some time to make the necessary edits, but I think this a lot more sense for Udall and the Dems to push for as a compromise. :)

I think, on reflection, that makes most sense too.

Senator Stassen makes me happy. Also, I think the balanced budget coming back to bite America in the bum makes more sense and is more interesting than a 'rainy day fund'.

I disagree. It might make for drama, sure, but a TL needs to be realistic as well as dramatic. And realistically, the rainy day fund strikes me as something Udall would push for as a compromise. It also seems more likely to achieve bipartisan support than a balanced budget amendment. It's something that most everyone can agree on, whereas a balanced budget has too many issues from both sides of the aisle.

Nice chapter there @President_Lincoln - the balanced budget amendment is a good idea in principal, but I think its too restrictive on any governments money flow.

A huge 'rainy day' fund is a good idea, when who decides when it's raining? Might make it too tempting to dive into all the time?

More info on the Native Americans is welcome.

In the aftermath of its eventual passage through the Senate, Ronald Reagan seized the moment and formally announced his candidacy for the 1980 Republican nomination for President shortly thereafter, on May 11th, 1979 declaring: “This proposed amendment, which began as an honest attempt to reign in an overgrown, leviathan government, has become untenable. It has become the very thing it sought to destroy...” The first major Republican candidate to throw his hat into the ring, coming scandalously soon after the conclusion of the Midterm elections, Reagan built his campaign around his pledge to “return America to a simpler, nobler time”, and, famously, to “Make America Great Again”.

The time is here, the time has come, and I will be there every step of the way to watch it!

How long till the next update?

Also regarding Bond Connery said later that if it had been OHMSS he probably wouldn't have quit. YOLT is fun but it IS rather silly.

There's so many different ways Trek could have gone, for instance - we could have had Edward James Olmos as the captain in TNG
Trek's already gone differently, we've got Phase II with Captain Sulu!
That being said, I've got like a dozen different Alt. Treks in my notes, Olmos has one role or another in most of them.
Another actor who auditioned for Picard that would be interesting: Yaphet Kotto.

Like others have said, welcome back, @President_Lincoln...

Good update; interesting to see how the balanced budget amendment plays out; I suspect that a lot of "Hollywood accounting" will be involved if it passes...

Wonder if Ronald Reagan wins the nomination ITTL--BTW, I'm not surprised that he originally had the slogan of "Make America Great Again" and that Trump adopted it for himself...

The song "Just What I Needed" was, as you mentioned, sung by the group The Cars and released in May of 1978, so congrats for continuing the pattern, @President_Lincoln, and waiting for more...

Wasn't it implied that Nixon was also going to make a last-chance run at the presidency a few updates ago?

Oooooof, Ronnie. Prepare for the ratfucking of a lifetime.

Wait, what? There was a new update, and only now I'm noticing? Shame on me!

Anyway, now Mo Udall has a serious opponent. That's good, things now will get more interesting!

You raise an interesting question, @cmakk1012! :D Allow me to give an all too brief answer...

As per OTL, the FDA began an investigation into the Church of Scientology concerning claims the Church made in regard to their "E-Meters". Per Wikipedia: "On January 4th, 1963, FDA agents raided offices of the Church of Scientology, seizing hundreds of E-meters as illegal medical devices and tons of literature that they accused of making false medical claims. The original suit by the FDA to condemn the literature and E-meters did not succeed, but the Court ordered the Church to label every meter with a disclaimer that it is purely religious artifact,to post a $20,000 bond of compliance, and to pay the FDA's legal expenses."

Also like IOTL, L. Ron Hubbard's defeats in Court led to an increasingly precipitous descent into isolation, despair, and mental illness. ITTL, he would be arrested in 1974 in his apartment in Queens, New York, having been indicted for ties to instances of obstructing justice, burglary of government offices, and theft of documents and government property. Hubbard would fight these charges with every available legal avenue, but would ultimately be defeated in court, resulting in several hefty fines and spending the remainder of his life in prison. Though David Miscavige would rise to take up Hubbard's mantle as leader of the Church, its influence was dramatically reduced as a result of its very public defeats in the legal system. By the turn of the 21st Century, Scientology had largely imploded under its own weight, leaving it with less than 10,000 members around the globe.

220px-Scientology_Cross_Logo.png
I'm guessing there will be less controversies like cases of harassment of critics and former members and criminal behavior like OTL due to their less powerful status? Or does that still happen here?

Windows95

Banned
What happens to African-Americans since MLK? Did their lives improve economically and socially? Is the wage, income and wealth gap close to the whites?

One thing I've been wondering as of recently is what is of the Beatles' legacy ITTL? Is it pretty much the same as OTL? or does their continuation into the 70s cause a burnout/fatigue? or is their legacy even greater ITTL?

If Israel Palestine comes up the US needs to be more forceful against Israel. Dennis Ross played a big role in selling the idea palestinians are savages

Maybe that's to strong. Ross has a reputation to act as Israel's lawyer and he tends to paint things as being all the Palestinians fault (he blamed Camp David on Arafat even though the deals offered were not that strong.) If the peace process in the 90s is to go anywhere it needs a leader who can be evenhanded. Bush could have done it but Bill Clinton basically gave Israel everything they wanted