Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Smokey and the Bandit - Road action/Comedy. Directorial debut of stuntman Hal Needman. Starring Elvis Presley, Dolly Parton
Oh! That's different...so what becomes of Burt Reynolds ITTL?
Bill Murray, <snip> joins the cast of Saturday Night Live,<snip> Murray would earn props for his “folksy”, often deadpan impression of President Udall
Oh now that's cool!
Although I just realized that also means TTL won't get to see Dan Akroyd's Nixon impression.

Windows95

Banned
Ooooh Hu Yaobang.... hopefully he gets in the reformers and pro-democrats with him to democratize China. It will be hard, as there will be the conservative forces of Deng.

Love this especially the idea of Spielberg doing Supermam! Would love to see that. I'm also glad to see President Udall pardoning draft doodgers and I'm looking forward to see what he's going to do for Labor

Smokey and the Bandit - Road action/Comedy. Directorial debut of stuntman Hal Needman. Starring Elvis Presley, Dolly Parton, Jackie Gleeson, and Jerry Reed. A fun, lighthearted and action packed tale of two bootleggers trying to smuggle their beer from Texas to Atlanta in 28 hours or less, this film started its life as a low-budget B movie and passion project for country musician Jerry Reed. After Presley, then one of the top box office draws in the world and a close friend of Reed's, read the script, he brought the production value up considerably. Its theme song, “Eastbound and Down” would be written and released by Reed, becoming his biggest hit and signature song. The film was a major box office smash, being beaten only by the gargantuan Star Wars for highest grossing film of ‘77.
Say What? Elvis as the Bandit? Oh hell yeah! I would've loved to see that!

Hi Mr President was wondering if you could tell me what these politicians have been up to in Blue Skies:
Scoop Jackson
Malcolm Forbes
Eugene Mccarthy
Walter Mondale
Gray Heart
Thanks

December 13th - While on tour in the Midwest to promote his recent album Cat Scratch Fever, “the Motor City Madman” Ted Nugent is killed instantly when his tour bus careens off the road during a snowstorm near Sandusky, Ohio. The rock world mourns the loss of a talented guitar player and songwriter. Tragically enough, it was his 29th birthday.

qA_O4oYBod7a9WjSsVmABEgzSEf3JGLdXYd60pfjvJ0-dEsABiVeOlM5k-nw_0KPBKAy7g3b84IWPI5syw8jcFH8wEZHGv1kYyirzd6f71VnmI8l15IEUAtru0b4XO8T7u31ECZs

RIP Ted Nugent
(December 13th, 1948 - December 13th, 1977)​
Another unfortunate victim of the butterfly effect, it’s a shame, I wonder who he was, better look him up on Wikipedia-

*reads the ‘Politics’ section of his Wikipedia page*

:neutral:

Huh, oh well.

Elvis going country and Skynyrd surviving? Sounds good! Is domestic and international club (assocation) football in Europe as OTL? Or did Scotland winning the World Cup mean Celtic and Rangers are doing better in the European Cup?

Or did Scotland winning the World Cup mean Celtic and Rangers are doing better in the European Cup?

Given how during the late 60's and early 70's when they were getting into the last four and sometimes finals of European competitions in OTL, it's not that far fetched to think of that they all could've gone one step further if the WC win really boosted them. For example, I could see Rangers winning the European Cup in 1976 at Hampden Park against Bayern Munich thanks to the 'home' advantage.

Good update on the pop culture of 1977, @President_Lincoln. Interesting to see the Patriots win the Super Bowl here, BTW...

Ah, yes, with regards to the New York Yankees, the more things change, the more they stay the same (hope Munson's 1979 plane crash is butterflied away--although this means someone else will die to "balance it out")...

Skynyrd lives and avoids their plane crash, while Ted Nugent dies (given his current politics, it's better off for his reputation); if you wanted an alternate WI, Aerosmith was supposed to take the plane Skynyrd took IOTL (they got cold feet, IIRC), so having the members of Aerosmith die would be an interesting WI in and of itself...

Star Wars and Roots are still successful, so that's all good...

The song "Disco Inferno" was written and sung by the Trammps and released in December of 1976, so congrats for continuing the pattern, @President_Lincoln, and waiting for more...

Given how during the late 60's and early 70's when they were getting into the last four and sometimes finals of European competitions in OTL, it's not that far fetched to think of that they all could've gone one step further if the WC win really boosted them. For example, I could see Rangers winning the European Cup in 1976 at Hampden Park against Bayern Munich thanks to the 'home' advantage.

Could Celtic keep Dalglish, changing English football massively?

Vidal

Donor
Just binge-read this timeline over the last four days (thanks to the new "Reader Mode" feature which made this so much easier - I discovered it late and then was too intimidated to start it, but knew I had to once it won the Turtledove). Phenomenal work, @President_Lincoln, and the Turtledove was well-deserved. Excited to see what happens next!

Is it wrong I can't see Elvis as the Bandit? If nothing else Buford T. Justice is not going around calling everyone a Sum Bitch cause that came from Burt Reynolds who's father was a Florida Police officer and Chief of Police that being said if the budget was improved then it might make the movie even better.

Jackie Gleason reportedly modelled his character, Sheriff Buford T. Justice, after Burt Reynolds' description of his father, a Florida police officer and Chief of Police. Among the character traits that came from this was the use of "sumbitch", a colloquial pronunciation of "son of a bitch".

Very nice update there @President_Lincoln - so the Star Wars juggernaught has started; perhaps Lucas and team will be more canny about what they allow to be considered canonical.

Wonder what Star Trek’s response will be given the changes history of that show? Or indeed the other networks given ‘sci-fi’ just got hot?

Nimoy got an Oscar? Bet Mr Shatner is jealous.

Good on Elvis- seems to be making sensible decisions here.

Interesting changes in music- Sex Pistols at Apple feels like sort of anti-establishment thing Lennon would do.

Go Queen!