Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

While I know that the forum(in general) makes current politics a taboo subject, I still have a question: Will this timeline significantly alter Barack Obama and the late John McCain?

While I know that the forum(in general) makes current politics a taboo subject, I still have a question: Will this timeline significantly alter Barack Obama and the late John McCain?
given that they came to prominence several decades after the POD, it's very likely that they'll at least have different career paths

I personally don't see why the changes in the timeline wouldn't make Obama not suddenly go into politics. Maybe he doesn't become president, but I don't see why there wouldn't still be a senator Obama ITTL.

I personally don't see why the changes in the timeline wouldn't make Obama not suddenly go into politics. Maybe he doesn't become president, but I don't see why there wouldn't still be a senator Obama ITTL.
My main point was that it's highly unlikely that Barack Obama and John McCain will have the exact same resumes they do/did in OTL, which could mean that they're both still in politics, only one is, or neither at all.

They may not. I can see McCain serving as a likely cabinet Secretary, or Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of staff if he stays in the navy. Obama, maybe a judge or governor.

That's the thing, it's not sudden. There's decades of time between now and the "present" day. He might even still go into politics, he could go into politics and spiral out, get burnt out. He might have a long career. It's all up in the air, and having a career in entertainment isn't mutual exclusive to that path.

I too, have read The ISOT'd House.
Oh that brings me back! That was the first timeline I ever read on the site!
Can I get a link? I've never heard of this actually.
That's a trip down memory lane...I read that quite early in my time on the site too.

RIP, Sarge - if there's a Heaven, I'm sure you're there...

I have a question. Was Judy Garland able to live longer in this timeline? Was she able to get help with her drug addiction? I am still catching up with this timeline so I apologize if my question has already been answered.

Last edited:
Hi there @Awkwardvulture! I'm glad you asked. :) So far TTL has already had one major difference for John McCain: he was never captured during the Vietnam Conflict. After JFK began to withdraw American troops in 1965, McCain's biggest moment in Southeast Asia was leading the rescue mission of George W. Bush and Al Gore from their own POW camp in Cambodia in 1970. As of 1977 ITTL, McCain is still in the Navy and serving as a 2 Star Rear Admiral. His heroics have still won him many decorations and will likely pave him a path to high command positions should he want them. That being said, his interest in public service through politics is still present. The big question for McCain ITTL will be how to direct that desire to serve the American people. :)

As for Barack Obama, as per OTL, he's a 16 year old kid living with his maternal grandparents and attending high school in Honolulu, Hawaii. :) He's known among his peers for his charisma, his witty sense of humor, and his high minded idealism, and is perhaps best known for playing forward on the varsity basketball team. Only time will tell where he winds up... ;)

I have a question. Was Judy Garland able to live longer in this timeline? Was she able to get help with her drug addiction? I am still catching up with this timeline so I apologize if my question has already been answered.
Hi @Light_Star 1 ! No need to apologise. :) Welcome to the TL! To answer your question, yes Judy Garland was able to get help with her drug addiction, and is still alive as of 1977. She's mostly retired from show business, and spends much of her time in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, living in a small house near her dear friends former President and First Lady John and Jackie Kennedy. Garland is very close to the first couple, and acts as a sort of honorary Aunt to their children, Caroline, John Jr., Rosemary, and Robert. :)