Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Ugh, what's with the anti-Rumsfeld stuff on here? One TL paints him in a bad light, and people assume that's how it'll be here? Let the author decide what happens, for Heaven's sake!.

You assume that we don’t get Bush winning and then 80s economics. If that happens, it’ll probably be eight years of Udall. He wouldn’t be discredited if he ran a close race :D

Or, indeed, it could be he wins but the economy’s better than OTL.
Not nessecarrily, it's also possible that the Christian Dems get there act together and get the Nomination in 80. That's personally what I'm hoping for

Very nice update.

Shame Bush is not having an easy time of it, but heh, them's the breaks I guess.

Hum... Liberial Republicans split, take the name and leave the Conservatives too it? Likely or unlikely me wonders...?

“Someday soon, that’s going to be us, up there.” Rumsfeld grinned with sinister glee and pointed at the screen. “And we sure as hell will do a little better than some nonsense about ‘staying the course’ and ‘a thousand points of light.’” The Senator clicked the TV off with his remote and finished his drink.
Rumsfeld has the wrong idea here. Statistically, optimistic campaigns typically do better than attack and pessimistic campaigns. Attack campaigns can work for a ruling party, but it's a major risk.
This was, in large part, thanks to the work of Atwater and two of his allies in Paul Manafort and Roger Stone. All below the age of thirty, and each with deep roots in the YAF and other right wing activist groups, these young men were out to do two things during their time in Washington, according to Stone: “whip the liberal elites, and make an absolute fuck-ton of money”.

wow. That's some pretty blatant desire to engage in corruption even for those two.

Ah, yes, Schafly lost, I see...

Rumsfeld and Nixon undermining a president; why am I not surprised?

Manafort, Atwater, and Stone, together; this will so end well...

Wonder who'll win in 1976; it could be either side, IMO...

BTW, the song "Show Me The Way" was sung by Peter Frampton and released in June of 1975 as a single; the live version was released in February of 1976, so congrats for continuing the pattern, @President_Lincoln, and waiting for more...

Also how are major airliners, like United, TWA, and PanAm doing right now in this timeline? Sorry for my random question I am just recently getting into the history of airliners.

Well, the stage is set for the ‘76 election. The moderate Republican George H.W. Bush, current President with economic troubles but an impressive foreign policy achievement, or Mo Udall, the friendly Washington liberal outsider who focuses on policy. Bush’s main weakness is the economic woes of the country, what with unemployment and inflation at an alarming high, which Udall can use to tout his own liberal economics. At the same time, an impressive foreign policy achievement can be useful with the growing tensions in the international community. Whoever wins, it’ll be an interesting race.

It's back! Schlafly certainly sounds like Reagan did in OTL with "tickle down economics" and I like how you even had her say the line " Government is not the solution". Glad Bush was able to get the nomination. I feel bad for him having to deal with such negativity from Schlafly during the primaries. I was not expecting Rumsfeld and Nixon to be plotting together. I wonder how the GOP will change going forward and if because of people like Schlafly, Nixon and Rumsfeld it will become more and more conservative similar to OTL. Great update! Bring on Election '76! Did you get a chance at all to respond to the messages I sent you by the way?

Another excellent chapter----you bring such life to these alternate versions. It is at times like reading one of those great non-fiction books out there or a biography, etc. Tricky Dick is playing the perfect heel I see---a true snake in the grass. Potential danger I see is afoot for the GOP as the Neo-Cons set foot and try and grasp back "their party" early?

virtually every other major figure in the Republican Party condemned Schlafly’s run,​
yet she persisted​

did.jpg

I like the use of Bush's OTL phrase 'voodoo economics'. To this day, it's how I refer to the trickle-down theory. In regards to Manafort and Stone, hopefully someone will put a stop to their shenanigans before they have a chance to collude with the Russians and put Individual-1 in the White House.

I like the use of Bush's OTL phrase 'voodoo economics'. To this day, it's how I refer to the trickle-down theory. In regards to Manafort and Stone, hopefully someone will put a stop to their shenanigans before they have a chance to collude with the Russians and put Individual-1 in the White House.
I agree.

What's interesting here is that it means the Southern Strategy has never properly materialized, and between that and the defeat of ancap economic theories in the Republican primary, the postwar New Deal consensus will likely last all the way to the 21st century. This also means politics won't be as polarized going into the 21st, though there's still a good quarter-century to go.

Still, the political map is going to be very different and the parties very different in structure going forwards.

What's interesting here is that it means the Southern Strategy has never properly materialized, and between that and the defeat of ancap economic theories in the Republican primary, the postwar New Deal consensus will likely last all the way to the 21st century. This also means politics won't be as polarized going into the 21st, though there's still a good quarter-century to go.

Still, the political map is going to be very different and the parties very different in structure going forwards.
let's hope it all works out for the better

The failure of the Southern Strategy to emerge is probably somewhat due to the fact that you've had GOP presidential candidates who weren't interested in exploiting racial tensions. George Romney was just as much a supporter of civil rights as Hubert Humphrey. It seems like, without the far right agitators pushing racial divisiveness as in the OTL, southern Democrats have settled down and learned to live with the end of Jim Crow.