Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

If we're seeing a trend of unknow singer becoming famous, what could be interresting is Johnny Hallyday (Aka the biggest star in france for a long time aka the biggest rock star you never heard of) actually being succesfull across the atlantic. He's the french Elvis so hey maybe they can work together :p

An excellent suggestion, @jolou! :) I'll be sure to include Johnny Hallyday in one of the soon to come pop culture updates...

Just got through this TL, and as someone whose primary AH interests aren't in US politics, I love it! Even I managed to understand how American politics work TTL, and the characters are all well-used.

A few questions though:

* How fare the Philippines? IOTL they elected the infamous Ferdinand Marcos in 1965 (so post POD), he got re-elected in 1969 (though without controversy), and in 1972 declared martial law, rewrote the constitution, and became a dictator. With JFK and Romney being less inclined to support authoritarian governments in the context of the Cold War, does Marcos still pull his shit off TTL?
* How do prog rock legends Yes and Genesis do TTL? I know you mentioned Yes' debut, and how does their lineup look TTL (IOTL they replaced founding guitarist Peter Banks with Steve Howe in mid 1970, founding keyboardist Tony Kaye with Rick Wakeman in 1971, and founding drummer Bill Bruford left for King Crimson in 1972, replaced by Alan White). As for Genesis, do Steve Hackett and Phil Collins join as IOTL?

Thank you kindly, @SavoyTruffle! :D I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying the Timeline so far. To answer your questions:

President Diosdado Macapagal was narrowly reelected over Marcos in 1965 ITTL, much to the delight of President Kennedy and liberals around the world. During his second term in office, Macapagal continued to root out graft in Manila and worked to stimulate the economy of his country, primarily through continued land reform and creating a stable social safety net. He was succeeded in 1969 by his Vice President, Emmanuel Pelaez, who is currently in office as of 1973 (though he is up for reelection).

Yes and Genesis are both forming and touring as per OTL. :) It'll be interesting for me to see what this timeline's world is able to do to their respective creative visions for their music.

Good update; liked that you used Mueller and Mattis and glad that Rhodesia will have a better future. Interesting that Thatcher is PM earlier here; wonder how it'll go...

BTW, like that Mugabe isn't around; he was awful (then again, so was Ian Smith)...

Wonder what'll happen next...

BTW, "We're An American Band" was a song sung by Grand Funk Railroad and released in July of 1973, so congrats for continuing the pattern, and waiting for more...

Thank you very much, Unknown! :D Glad you enjoyed the update. :)

What is the Rhodesia public like? Are they glad the white supremacist government is gone? or are they resentful and the hate the British?

The Rhodesian Public is, for the most part, happy to see an end to the violence and the onset of peaceful majority rule. They're certainly happy that the White Supremacist government is gone, and the continued presence of US and UK troops there is helping to keep tempers cooled, though that will not last forever.

Also, I think we should have a chapter focusing on Disney.

A Disney update is a must, for sure. I'm going to have to do a fair bit of research however, as my knowledge of the company's vast history is fairly limited. :)

A Disney update is a must, for sure. I'm going to have to do a fair bit of research however, as my knowledge of the company's vast history is fairly limited. :)

Good to know! :D

During the duration of this timeline (1962-1973), Disney has been through two 'ages' to call them, with the ending of 'Silver' in 1967, and the begging of 'Bronze' in 1970.

maxresdefault.jpg

As for possibe ideas to what to do, there is Don Bluth, a legendary animator who made The Secret of NIMH (1982), An American Tail (1986), The Land Before Time (1988), All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989), and Anastasia (1997), he left in the late 70s after he became disappointed with the way the company was run, forming his own studio, which eventually feel apart, to which then he teamed up with FOX to form their animation studios, but that also fell under after their film Titan A.E bombed hard. So, makig him stay could see Disney release his films instead, possibly even leading to an earlier and longer Disney Renaissance.

don-bluth-1108x0-c-default.jpg

Don Bluth

Glad to see Rhodesia remain more stable than OTL, and, for the moment at least, a sign of Britain's strong remaining ties with their fellow Commonwealth Realms. With such military success, one wonders whether or not a certain South American country will perceive the same weakness it did in OTL on Britain's part.

And Thatcher getting so close to power so early? I can't help but feel a tad concerned.

That was awesome! Mueller and Mattis vs. Mugabe? Good stuff!

Hopefully Thatcher won't get power, her Reagan-esque policies did a number on the British economy (not that the British Leyland monopoly fiasco hadn't already done a massive amount of harm to the heavy industry).

Fantastic piece, @President_Lincoln , and great to see a successful conclusion to the Rhodesia conflict.

That was awesome! Mueller and Mattis vs. Mugabe? Good stuff!

Hopefully Thatcher won't get power, her Reagan-esque policies did a number on the British economy (not that the British Leyland monopoly fiasco hadn't already done a massive amount of harm to the heavy industry).

Agreed... Hopefully, butterflies plus the different set-up in America will lead to her OTL policies (or at least the worst of 'em) not being enacted even if she comes into power.

BP Booker

Banned
Hey I’m back, I was taking a break from the (non-chat) forum over some issues I was having (Ugh, so much paperwork!) but I’m here now, ready to heap praise on one of favorite TLs! This is another surprise, to be sure. I was fully expecting this Rhodesia business to completely sink Churchill (and Johnson, back when it seemed like he was going to win) but the PM has made a Truman-esque comeback it seems. The future looks bright for Rhodesia for now, hopefully this puts further pressure on South Africa to liberalize sooner – although it may very well go the opposite direction (I was in fact worried that a debacle in Rhodesia would spook Washington and London from exerting pressure in South Africa).

This rather cheap and easy victory is gonna have a lot of repercussions in America – as Pres Warren said, the interventionists have been once again proven right: The spirit (delusion?) that America is invisible, which was shattered by the failure of the Vietnam War, is still going strong. After defeating Germany and Japan in WWII, reaching a satisfactory end in Korea and Vietnam (The primary goal being the survival of South Korea and South Vietnam), a hard fought victory in Cambodia – including a picture perfect moment with the rescue mission of the Vice-Presidents son – and seemingly the end of what was seen as un unwinnable war in Africa… Well, Scoop Jackson couldn’t be happier I’m sure.

If nothing goes wrong in the foreign front (which granted could very well happen in 3 years), The GOP is looking pretty for another term, and now I think it’s not going to be RFK in 1976 but Scoop Jackson (who will probably lose? It’s too early to tell). I don’t know, the Democrats I’m sure are still busy reorganizing themselves, kicking out the ultra-conservatives, the white supremacists and the opportunist Republicans in the South (They really need to be ready for 1978 and kick out Thurmond).

Funny, one of the many little background ideas I’ve had for this or that half-cooked timeline I have floating was Robert Muller as either a John McCain analogue (distinguished war hero who loses a Presidential election to some Democrat but remains a respected figure in the party) or Robert Muller Supreme Court Justice. You know, one of those “Where are they now?” ideas

Thank you kindly, @SavoyTruffle! :D I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying the Timeline so far. To answer your questions:

President Diosdado Macapagal was narrowly reelected over Marcos in 1965 ITTL, much to the delight of President Kennedy and liberals around the world. During his second term in office, Macapagal continued to root out graft in Manila and worked to stimulate the economy of his country, primarily through continued land reform and creating a stable social safety net. He was succeeded in 1969 by his Vice President, Emmanuel Pelaez, who is currently in office as of 1973 (though he is up for reelection).

Yes and Genesis are both forming and touring as per OTL. :) It'll be interesting for me to see what this timeline's world is able to do to their respective creative visions for their music.
Now, I'm starting to like this timeline. Keep up the good work out there.

Once again, great update as usual, though wee bit sad nothing mentioned about Scotty, the other one I mean, haha!

Still, with the UK now in the ECC here, that might be a tempting one for a European wide FS goodwill tour maybe? Especially if the British government want to try and save British industry going to put then this could be something a coup if done correctly.

Fun fact I forgot to mention before, on the North American tour, the Churchill family loaned out various items belonging to Churchill for display so, wherever you actually thought about it or not @President_Lincoln , it would've been likely that Randolph would've really done a lot to support the tour and ring fenced funds for further tours hopefully for TTL.

Looking forward to see how things progress now :)

Once again, great update as usual, though wee bit sad nothing mentioned about Scotty, the other one I mean, haha!

Still, with the UK now in the ECC here, that might be a tempting one for a European wide FS goodwill tour maybe? Especially if the British government want to try and save British industry going to put then this could be something a coup if done correctly.

Fun fact I forgot to mention before, on the North American tour, the Churchill family loaned out various items belonging to Churchill for display so, wherever you actually thought about it or not @President_Lincoln , it would've been likely that Randolph would've really done a lot to support the tour and ring fenced funds for further tours hopefully for TTL.
Looking forward to see how things progress now :)

Thank you, @QTXAdsy, and my apologies for not mentioning the Flying Scotsman. :( I was not aware that the Churchill family was so supportive of the train, and so I agree that PM Churchill here would definitely have been in favor of increased funding and so forth. Allow me to fill in some of the gaps in her TTL story for you now:

After completing its goodwill tour of the United States and Canada in 1973, Scotty continued on to the east, where she encouraged trade between the UK and Australia as well as Japan. Some beautiful, world famous photographs were taken of The Flying Scotsman before Mt. Fuji and among the Australian outback, bringing further prestige to the Commonwealth as well. As of yet, the Churchill government is planning a tour of the European Continent as well, to capitalize, as you say, on EEC membership. Whether his successor, whomever they may be, keeps the trip remains to be seen. :)