Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Would they though, I mean knowing how idiotic they are its just as likely they dismiss it as lies spread by the "man and lackies". Heck I could even see the traditional, not on drugs, anti war movement saying it was exaggerated to justify the military adventure,not believing anyone can be so evil. Heck they did it otl, with Chomsky and his crew dismissing Reffugee testimony.
Unfortunately, I feel like that will happen and if the news of Khmer Rouge atrocities gets too large to ignore and dismiss, they’ll still ignore and/or dismiss it.

Last edited:

claybaskit

Gone Fishin'
so if Mitt follows his dads footstep wii his opponent say he is stuck in his fathers days of the 70s, I remember when Mitt debated president Obama romney mentioned the russians and obama said something to the effect the 1980s are calling.:p.

@President_Lincoln - meant to say earlier, great update :) I liked your look at Romney, felt it rang very true.

And while I’m worried that TTL’s war in Cambodia will be a mess, at least the US isn’t recognising the Khmer Rouge ITTL...

Thank you very much, @theg*ddam*hoi2fan! :D I'm glad you enjoyed the update and that you felt it rang true. :) Getting into the lives of these historical characters is one of my favorite parts of writing this TL!

Is Preston Smith still governor of Texas? Hope the Texas High Speed Rail got approved ITTL...

BTW, I suspect that, with no Sharpstown scandal, Ben Barnes might be successful in his run for governor, which butterflies Dolph Briscoe's gubernatorial term away, for now...

I suspect Smith might run against John Tower for Senator in 1972 (and be a potential pick for vice-president on the Democratic ticket in 1972, especially if Bobby Kennedy is running; the Boston-Austin ticket worked in 1960, why not try again?)...

Is Preston Smith still governor of Texas? Hope the Texas High Speed Rail got approved ITTL...

BTW, I suspect that, with no Sharpstown scandal, Ben Barnes might be successful in his run for governor, which butterflies Dolph Briscoe's gubernatorial term away, for now...

I suspect Smith might run against John Tower for Senator in 1972 (and be a potential pick for vice-president on the Democratic ticket in 1972, especially if Bobby Kennedy is running; the Boston-Austin ticket worked in 1960, why not try again?)...

I was hoping for governor Frances Farenthold.

1963: John Connally (Democrat) +
1962: John Connally (Democrat), Jack Cox (Republican)
1963-69 : Preston Smith (Democrat)
1964: Preston Smith (Democrat), Jack Crichton (Republican)
1966:
Preston Smith (Democrat), T.E. Kennerly (Republican)
1969- : Frances Farenthold (Democrat)
1968: Frances Farenthold (Democrat), Paul Eggers (Republican)
1970: Frances Farenthold (Democrat), Paul Eggers (Republican)

BP Booker

Banned
Now that were mentioning the governor of Texas, you know who would be cool if they entered politics? John Daud Eisenhower, President Einsenhowers son. I swer to God I once read a TL where he becomes President after Kennedy but I cant for the life of me find it, its driving me nuts

As of January 1970, here are the big figures in Texas politics:

U.S. Senators:
John Tower - Republican, since 1961, up for reelection in 1972.
Lyndon B. Johnson - Democrat, since 1969, up for reelection in 1970.

Governor:
Preston Smith - Democrat, since 1963, up for reelection in 1970.

All of this being said, LBJ is making moves to try and consolidate the Lone Star State (along with the rest of the South) into his new machine. He'll definitely seek his own reelection in 1970, then try to unseat Tower in '72 with Smith, Lloyd Bentsen or some other loyal moderate to conservative Democrat whom he'll quickly befriend and ally himself with.

As for the Governorship, Smith is seeking to run for another term in 1970 and looking like he'll likely win, unless someone notable should challenge him.

I was hoping for governor Frances Farenthold.

1963: John Connally (Democrat) +
1962: John Connally (Democrat), Jack Cox (Republican)
1963-69 : Preston Smith (Democrat)
1964: Preston Smith (Democrat), Jack Crichton (Republican)
1966:
Preston Smith (Democrat), T.E. Kennerly (Republican)
1969- : Frances Farenthold (Democrat)
1968: Frances Farenthold (Democrat), Paul Eggers (Republican)
1970: Frances Farenthold (Democrat), Paul Eggers (Republican)

Frances Farenthold could certainly rise to eventually become the Democratic nominee for Governor at some point in the near future. :) Smith is looking like he'll go for another term in '70, but come '72 and the race for Tower's seat... who knows? ;)

Now that were mentioning the governor of Texas, you know who would be cool if they entered politics? John Daud Eisenhower, President Einsenhowers son. I swer to God I once read a TL where he becomes President after Kennedy but I cant for the life of me find it, its driving me nuts

Hmmmm that could be interesting! I could see the younger Eisenhower becoming a diplomat as he did IOTL. :)

The Senate - 91st Congress
For the sake of a complete picture of the TL at the moment, here are the members of the Senate in the 91st Congress (1969 - 1971):

The Senate

Democrats (Majority) - 57

Republicans (Minority) - 38

Conservatives (Opposition) - 5

The Leadership:

Senate Majority Leader: Mike Mansfield (D - MT)
Senate Majority Whip: Russell B. Long (D - LA)

Senate Minority Leader: Everett Dirksen (R - IL) [Until Sept. 1969]
Hugh Scott (R - PA) [From Sept. 1969]
Senate Minority Whip: Hugh Scott (R - PA) [Until Sept. 1969]
Robert P. Griffin (R - MI) [From Sept. 1969]

Senate Opposition Leader: Strom Thurmond (C - SC)

Alabama

John J. Sparkman (C)

James B. Allen (D)

Alaska

Ernest Gruening (D)

Theodore F. Stevens (R)

Arizona

Barry Goldwater (R)

Paul Fannin (R)

Arkansas

John L. McClellan (D)

J. William Fulbright (D)

California

John V. Tunney (D)

Alan Cranston (D)

Colorado

Gordon L. Allott (R)

Peter H. Dominick (R)

Connecticut

Thomas J. Dodd (D)

Abraham A. Ribicoff (D)

Delaware

William V. Roth Jr. (R)

J. Caleb Boggs (R)

Florida

Spessard L. Holland (D)

LeRoy Collins (D)

Georgia

Richard B. Russell, Jr. (D)

Herman E. Talmadge (C)

Hawaii

Daniel K. Inouye (D)

Spark Matsunaga (D)

Idaho

Frank F. Church (D)

Leonard B. Jordan (R)

Illinois

Everett Dirksen (R)

Until September 7th, 1969.

Donald Rumsfeld (R) -
Appointed to finish Dirksen’s term, reelected in special election with help from a young campaign manager, Karl Rove.

Charles H. Percy (R)

Indiana

R. Vance Hartke (D)

Birch Bayh (D)

Iowa

Jack R. Miller (R)

Harold E. Hughes (D)

Kansas

James B. Pearson (R)

Bob Dole (R)

Kentucky

John Sherman Cooper (R)

Marlow W. Cook (R)

Louisiana

Allen J. Ellender (D)

Russell B. Long (D)

Maine

Margaret Chase Smith (R)

Edmund Muskie (D)

Maryland

Joseph D. Tydings (D)

Charles Mathias Jr. (R)

Massachusetts

Edward M. Kennedy (D)

Edward W. Brooke III (R)

Michigan

Philip A. Hart (D)

Robert P. Griffin (R)

Minnesota

Hubert Humphrey (D)

Eugene McCarthy (D)

Mississippi

James O. Eastland (C)

John C. Stennis (C)

Missouri

W. Stuart Symington (D)

Thomas F. Eagleton (D)

Montana

Michael J. Mansfield (D)

Lee W. Metcalf (D)

Nebraska

Roman L. Hruska (R)

Carl T. Curtis (R)

Nevada

Alan H. Bible (D)

Howard W. Cannon (D)

New Hampshire

Norris H. Cotton (R)

Thomas J. McIntyre (D)

New Jersey

Clifford P. Case (R)

Harrison A. Williams Jr. (D)

New Mexico

Clinton P. Anderson (D)

Joseph M. Montoya (D)

New York

Jacob K. Javits (R)

Kenneth Keating (R)

North Carolina

B. Everett Jordan (D)

J. Terry Sanford (D)

North Dakota

Milton R. Young (R)

Quentin M. Burdick (D)

Ohio

John Glenn (D)

Robert Taft, Jr. (R)

Oklahoma

Fred R. Harris (D)

Mike Monroney (D)

Oregon

Mark O. Hatfield (R)

Bob Packwood (R)

Pennsylvania

Hugh D. Scott, Jr. (R)

Richard Schweiker (R)

Rhode Island

John O. Pastore (D)

Claiborne D. Pell (D)

South Carolina

Strom Thurmond (C)

Ernest Hollings (D)

South Dakota

Karl E. Mundt (R)

George McGovern (D)

Tennessee

Albert Gore, Sr. (D)

Howard H. Baker, Jr. (R)

Texas

John Tower (R)

Lyndon B. Johnson (D)

Utah

Wallace F. Bennett (R)

Frank E. Moss (D)

Vermont

George D. Aiken (R)

Winston L. Prouty (R)

Virginia

Harry F. Byrd, Jr. (D)

William B. Spong, Jr. (D)

Washington

Warren G. Magnuson (D)

Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson (D)

West Virginia

Jennings Randolph (D)

Robert C. Byrd (D)

Wisconsin

William Proxmire (D)

Gaylord A. Nelson (D)

Wyoming

Gale W. McGee (D)

Clifford P. Hansen (R)

R000508.jpg

Senator Donald Rumsfeld (R - IL), the young Congressman elected to fill the massive shoes of former Republican Leader Everett Dirksen upon his passing.

Senate Map 1969.png

Last edited:
Okay good senate list, especially with Don Rumsfeld. I hope you don't fall into the usual trap of making him out to be some authoritarian oger. Considering his real life views, im hoping Ittl he becomes the leaders of the moderate Republicians in the senate.

Surprised Harry Bird stayed a democrat since he ran as an independent IRL

A fair point, @thatsbunkers. Byrd sees which ways the winds are blowing ITTL for the ACP and thought remaining with the Dems would bring him more success. I'll cover the specifics in a chapter in the not so distant future.

Yay, Inouye, Sanford, Bayh, Muskie, and Humphrey, are still in!

And awww, darn. Rumsfeld still is active.
Well, you win some - you lose some.

Great update, nice to see where the Senate is standing.

Thank you! :D I apologize for not getting it out sooner, it took a long time to research the races and put this list together. I know it's not a full chapter, but I thought it could hold you guys over a bit until next Friday's update. :)

Okay good senate list, especially with Don Rumsfeld. I hope you don't fall into the usual trap of making him out to be some authoritarian oger. Considering his real life views, im hoping Ittl he becomes the leaders of the moderate Republicians in the senate.

Without giving too much away, I can confirm that I have no plans of going full Rumsfeldia with him if that's what you mean. Conservatives and Liberals alike deserve a fair shake and I aim to help them receive it ITTL. (For the record, I find Rumsfeldia a very enjoyable and well written timeline, I merely meant it as a point of comparison for Rumsfeld as a character).

Without giving too much away, I can confirm that I have no plans of going full Rumsfeldia with him if that's what you mean. Conservatives and Liberals alike deserve a fair shake and I aim to help them receive it ITTL. (For the record, I find Rumsfeldia a very enjoyable and well written timeline, I merely meant it as a point of comparison for Rumsfeld as a character).
Oh I do as well,it's a great story just has started the habit of using Rumsfeld as some lazy insert when they need an authoritarianan president

A possibility! Part of President Kennedy's "New Frontier" included generous funding for the development of alternative, "greener" energies. Nuclear was included in the research.
I don't recall it being mentioned, but while he was SecDef did RFK find out the Army had killed and buried a working molten salt reactor just because they couldn't weaponize it?
MSRs would be ideal for civilian nuclear power until someone can get fusion to work. <insert old joke about fusion being perpetually "20 years away".>

I don't recall it being mentioned, but while he was SecDef did RFK find out the Army had killed and buried a working molten salt reactor just because they couldn't weaponize it?
MSRs would be ideal for civilian nuclear power until someone can get fusion to work. <insert old joke about fusion being perpetually "20 years away".>

I didn't mention that, but Bobby did manage to discover this fact and alert his brother of it before the pair left office. :) Whether or not it will lead to anything promising remains to be seen...