You did a wonderful job writing out the dialogue and action during the collision! I could easily follow what was happening. Looking forward to more.

Good take on this popular subject, but there is no way any passengers would be left onboard Titanic. Carpathia, Californian, plus any other ship that made it to the site would take everyone or would stay alongside in case Titanic sank to get the rest.

If Titanic was still floating in the AM there is also the chance Olympic would make it to her sister and take a lot of the passengers.

Mostly likely Titanic would make for Halifax not NYC as it was much closer, esp in such a delicate shape. Her passengers however packed they are into which ever ship(s) may goto NYC.

Also you mention the ship moving ahead slow after the collision, except given the Officers know there is an huge ice field there ITTL then they would just stop, due to risk, which would slow water ingress.

Likelihood is a damaged ship would be patched up in Halifax, then visit an American yard for a fuller repair before risking another Atlantic crossing.

Chances are this incident will actually see a lot of boasting about ‘look how strong our ships are’ rather than getting lifeboats for all, ice patrol, and the structural changes to ship design than we got OTL which leads to many more problems later.

Good take on this popular subject, but there is no way any passengers would be left onboard Titanic. Carpathia, Californian, plus any other ship that made it to the site would take everyone or would stay alongside in case Titanic sank to get the rest.

If Titanic was still floating in the AM there is also the chance Olympic would make it to her sister and take a lot of the passengers.

Mostly likely Titanic would make for Halifax not NYC as it was much closer, esp in such a delicate shape. Her passengers however packed they are into which ever ship(s) may goto NYC.

Also you mention the ship moving ahead slow after the collision, except given the Officers know there is an huge ice field there ITTL then they would just stop, due to risk, which would slow water ingress.

Likelihood is a damaged ship would be patched up in Halifax, then visit an American yard for a fuller repair before risking another Atlantic crossing.

Chances are this incident will actually see a lot of boasting about ‘look how strong our ships are’ rather than getting lifeboats for all, ice patrol, and the structural changes to ship design than we got OTL which leads to many more problems later.
I thought it was reasonable idea at the time, but you are right. I figured though, considering Carpathia was the sole ship to come rescue the passengers in OTL, that in this one just her and Californian would be enough and would likely refuse any sorta help. This was more short sighted on my end, plus I wasn't quite finished with this scenario when I accidentally posted when it wasn't ready.
I wasn't sure where Titanic would go, as I had planned to look into which dockyards/harbors would be near enough for the ship to go to which is why it's so vague here, as I was still trying to come up with the finer details.
Yes, the ship moving ahead through the remaining icefield, whilst certainly unlikely to happen, I figured to just "hand wave" this aside and assume the ship had managed to make its way through slowly, bypassing the number of icebergs and entering into more open and clear sea. A huge jump I know, but that was what my thought was. Again, I was still working on this but- Well you know already.
I did consider the possibility of some sorta inquiry into this incident and just how it transpired. I figured, given the status of the ship and those onboard, the scale of this incident would at least warrant a look through and lead to some minor changes, but you also have a point there.
I'll try to make the changes with time before I continue forward with this, so feel free to comment whenever you please and let me know. I do appreciate the corrections and information.

To be fair, looking at the incident through a modern safety lens doesn't reflect the reality of the time. Back then, huge prestige was given to fast passage times, and for a liner with the rep of the titanic, management and ownership interests would certainly desire a record time be set on the maiden voyage.

There might have been the desire to get to New York in a time faster than Olympic’s, but Titanic was not going to go for a surprise Tuesday night arrival or similar; docks have to be readied, tugs booked, cabs laid on etc, plus they would want their new liner to be seen on Wed AM in daylight.

Nice chapter looking at some of the main players there.

To be clear, Carpathia and Californian picked up the passengers and headed for New York, only to transfer them again to the Olympic before getting there?

Whilst I am sure many would want to be on the larger ship due to overcrowding I wonder how many would want another transfer by boat in mid Atlantic?

I could see Olympic getting to the site before the rescue ships set off and taking some of the passengers, esp from Californian who was a small ship.

Hummm... not sure what I would do with this. Heh, all threee ships can be heroes, taking those who wants to transfer again and getting them to NYC.

Wonder how much symhpathy and money will be raised, esp for 3rd class passengers since they will be turning up in NYC without their luggage?

Nice chapter looking at some of the main players there.

To be clear, Carpathia and Californian picked up the passengers and headed for New York, only to transfer them again to the Olympic before getting there?

Whilst I am sure many would want to be on the larger ship due to overcrowding I wonder how many would want another transfer by boat in mid Atlantic?

I could see Olympic getting to the site before the rescue ships set off and taking some of the passengers, esp from Californian who was a small ship.

Hummm... not sure what I would do with this. Heh, all threee ships can be heroes, taking those who wants to transfer again and getting them to NYC.

Wonder how much symhpathy and money will be raised, esp for 3rd class passengers since they will be turning up in NYC without their luggage?
Yeah I should've given that part more thought... Recently I had watched a scenario where Olympic came to Titanic's rescue (being much closer then OTL) which inspired this version of events, but I changed that to just the Olympic continuing on her journey as before after originally heading to Titanic to help, however like the OTL, she just wasn't close enough and instead continued on her normal voyage as before.

I also reasoned, in my mind, that with Titanic's passengers shared, even between Carpathia and Californian, it would be a tight fit and thus it would be reasonable for the passengers to be shuffled around if Olympic was present. Ultimately, as to not complicate this scenario, Californian and Carpathia simply took Titanic's passengers to New York on there own.

As for who gets to be heroes, Californian and Carpathia get that, but praise is also given to Titanic's crew for their efforts alongside.
As for the loss of personal property, I will likely cover that next as I flesh out the aftermath and consequences of Titanic's survival in this universe.

You still might get the Ice Patrol. It would as OTL let ships know where ice was and to divert course. Plus those Ice Patrol ships provides a ready rescue ship and communication relay.

You still might get the Ice Patrol. It would as OTL let ships know where ice was and to divert course. Plus those Ice Patrol ships provides a ready rescue ship and communication relay.
It might be possible. Depends on who pays for it.

24 hour radio operation with the operators employed by the shipping line is more likely I think.

Internal second skins and better bulkheads are likely too.

Lifeboats for all isn’t cos Titanic’s lifeboats did exactly what they where expected: ferried passengers to waiting ships for rescue. Though ‘for all’ could still be argued as if Titanic had gone down the loss of life would have been huge- depends on the conservative forces at play in the various Boards of Trade there.

It might be possible. Depends on who pays for it.

24 hour radio operation with the operators employed by the shipping line is more likely I think.

Internal second skins and better bulkheads are likely too.

Lifeboats for all isn’t cos Titanic’s lifeboats did exactly what they where expected: ferried passengers to waiting ships for rescue. Though ‘for all’ could still be argued as if Titanic had gone down the loss of life would have been huge- depends on the conservative forces at play in the various Boards of Trade there.
For most of it's OTL life the United States has paid for the Ice Patrol,the USCG being the prime provider of ships, supplemented by the UK. I see no change in that. The changes to radio policy and ship construction will also happen as OTL, The prime mover being g Mr. Andrews.

The luggage of some in 3rd, even 2nd, would have been ok since it was in cabins but the 1st would likely have been drowned Inc that shiny Renault car (likely in pieces and not complete like in the movie) so yeah White Star would compensate the richest to keep their patronage- though many would be singing their praises for getting them safe.

Hearst is a nasty piece of work; here with a surviving Captain and officers he is going to find a lot less angles of attack on Ismay and White Star. Captain Lord will escape the scapegoating he got OTL at least.

The industry are going to be taking a long hard look at their practises methinks.

Interesting chapter.

Now things start to deviate with Butt and other passengers now safely in America.

Also is it Gigantic or Britannic as the 3rd sister here? Snopes say there is true the 3rd ship would be Gigantic, and it does fit the naming scheme of the class…

This is an awesome timeline, though are we certain that Britannic was originally called Gigantic before her sister sank? I could’ve sworn it was a myth

It is your timeline to make as 'in depth' as you want, or if you just want to focus on the ships.

I would say that the non-loss of Titanic, and the survival of those 1506 souls would have an impact on the world, people like Major Butt, or Astor or the Macy's have influence, plus who knows if there was a future Tesla or Edison among the dead in 3rd class?

Olympic, Titanic, and Gigantic would of course have competition from the Imperator and other German ships soon enough, provided no disasters happen to them?

This is an awesome timeline, though are we certain that Britannic was originally called Gigantic before her sister sank? I could’ve sworn it was a myth
Snopes says it's true: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gigantic/

I suspect Gigantic was the name as its part of the Greek Myth theme, but Titanic sinking killed that dead during planning. When she was laid down someone (at the yard?) was 'off message' and used the old name in a briefing before the Press Office got on the case.

In an AU however with no Titanic disaster I could see the Gigantic joining the service in 1914.

Last edited:
And so, with the outbreak of the First World War, what's Titanic's war-time history going to entail?

In OTL, Britannic served as a hospital ship, whilst Olympic served as a troop ship (in which she sank a U-Boat).

But there is one war time role that Titanic could maybe find itself in, if it wasn't made into one of those two.
An armed merchant cruiser (armed with QF 4.7-inch guns mainly).

And so, with the outbreak of the First World War, what's Titanic's war-time history going to entail?

In OTL, Britannic served as a hospital ship, whilst Olympic served as a troop ship (in which she sank a U-Boat).

But there is one war time role that Titanic could maybe find itself in, if it wasn't made into one of those two.
An armed merchant cruiser (armed with QF 4.7-inch guns mainly).
Wasn't Olympic armed even when trooping?

As I recall the Olympic class don't really suit armed cruiser role since they are not really fast enough to outrun U-boats.

If Titanic and Olympic both make it long enough then Britanic probably never gets completed until after the war as they only finished up Britanic so she could serve as an emergency hospital ship.