Black This Out- A Ron Paul 2012 Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
So which Republicans might run as an independent or something because they oppose Paul's views?
John Bolton. (And that objectivist guy who did an AH where he got into office will likely eat his John Galt after Bolton gets third, at most.) Maybe Rudy Guliani. (Good luck with him getting votes.) Perhaps former Republican Alan Keyes may as well. (He'll likely do worse...)

John Bolton. (And that objectivist guy who did an AH where he got into office will likely eat his John Galt after Bolton gets third, at most.) Maybe Rudy Guliani. (Good luck with him getting votes.) Perhaps former Republican Alan Keyes may as well. (He'll likely do worse...)
Keyes did run in 2008. 0.04% was his total. Otherwise, the same as Roseanne and Rocky Anderson got last time around.

Donald Trump would be the one to take the jump. Now, it might not be the most likely option, I admit, but it certainly would be the most interesting (given he already has significant financial resources to draw from), and the most entertaining (no elabaration needed).

I think it'll be hard for Huckabee to succeed without the party behind him. Both parties have done all that they can to ruin the chance of any third party.
Most of the Republican establishment would prefer Huckabee over Paul though.
What would they call the party? And is there any way they wouldn't push a third party neocon and walk the party line?
Well, if Paul was not determined the nominee until really late, it could prevent the third-party guy from getting organized fast enough to get on the ballot in many states.

Will no-one respond to my Huckabee suggestion?
Huckabee wouldn't do it because he would know he couldn't win, and actually most (edit: none of the) major candidates we immediately think of wouldn't do it either, given it would poison them politically (among the voters). You effectively need someone who will toe the line, but also is relatively unknown and inoffensive.

Huckabee wouldn't do it because he would know he couldn't win, and actually most major candidates we immediately think of wouldn't do it either, given it would poison them politically (among the voters). You effectively need someone who will toe the line, but also is relatively unknown and inoffensive.

It wouldn't poison them, I don't think. It would be easy to spin it as "The party got hijacked and I knew I had to present a real conservative alternative, even if I couldn't win outright."

Julian is right. The party will be behind him, because NO-ONE WILL SUPPORT RON PAUL.

I could see Rove and crew defecting to Huckabee maybe (I don't think Huckabee would want to run), but some of the GOP won't risk supporting a third party that's going to knock them down to third party status, even for one election.

It really depends on who runs as the neo-con candidate, Huckabee would be really good for them but he's not as much of a fiscal conservative as they'd like. They'd need someone like Rubio or McDonnell to really harpoon Paul, but they wouldn't do it either.

The best they could get are Michelle Bachmann, Duncan Hunter, or maybe Haley Barbour.

I could see Rove and crew defecting to Huckabee maybe (I don't think Huckabee would want to run), but some of the GOP won't risk supporting a third party that's going to knock them down to third party status, even for one election.

It really depends on who runs as the neo-con candidate, Huckabee would be really good for them but he's not as much of a fiscal conservative as they'd like. They'd need someone like Rubio or McDonnell to really harpoon Paul, but they wouldn't do it either.

The best they could get are Michelle Bachmann, Duncan Hunter, or maybe Haley Barbour.

Besides Donald Trump (who would jump the gun probably, and would at best only receive reluctant support by the GOP establishment), I suppose they could go with Bob Riley. He was a former Governor of Alabama, and effectively politically retired, a standard Conservative, and not many if any political skeletons. Course, even he might not want to do it, but he doesn't have as much at risk as the other potential choices.

It wouldn't poison them, I don't think. It would be easy to spin it as "The party got hijacked and I knew I had to present a real conservative alternative, even if I couldn't win outright."
In the age of Presidential Primaries, depending on how things go, that argument will not carry a lot of weight, and will piss off a significant part of the base they are going to need to play to at some point. Those that still have political ambitions are not going to take the dive. That's why I've suggested people like Donald Trump (who would probably run as an ego-trip) or Bob Riley (retired from politics).

In the age of Presidential Primaries, depending on how things go, that argument will not carry a lot of weight, and will piss off a significant part of the base they are going to need to play to at some point. Those that still have political ambitions are not going to take the dive. That's why I've suggested people like Donald Trump (who would probably run as an ego-trip) or Bob Riley (retired from politics).
Huckabee appears to have no political ambition left, and is much more well known than Riley.

Status
Not open for further replies.