Biggest Wanks in AH

Bring the Jubilee is a pretty massive confederacy wank, with the Confederacy not only completing pantsing the US but going on to conquer all of independent Latin America.

The (sadly deceased) John J Reilly's "Irish Empire" setting is one hell of an Irish-wank, mapped by SRegan here.

The Man in the High Castle is of course the classic Axis-wank.

GURPS Alternate Earth's Shikoku-Mon is an absurd Japan-wank, with a Japanese ethnic population (mostly in the home islands, Manchuria, NW America and New Zealand) bloated to 750 million ruling two-thirds of the world's population.

Thomas Harlan's SF/AH blend House of Reeds and sequels [1] has a Japanese-influenced Aztec empire as the world's dominant power and an interstellar explorer

[1] Which I need to read one of these days, if only for Map

The US in Stuart Slade's The Big One series.

• Take what's already a postwar superpower.
  • Make all its possible rivals either friendly, weak, or both.
  • At the same time, make them belligerent enough that they act up and give the Americans a chance to show off their weapons and easily crush them .
  • Have everyone from non-American characters to the narrator constantly talk about how amazing the Americans are.
  • With a variety of both narrative setups and in-universe contrivances like overly capable special forces, eliminate what should be the weakness of their (on-paper) over-specialized all or nothing nuclear bomber military.
Isn't he the guy who wrote the New Atheist revenge fantasy The Salvation War?

We need some new wanks... never really understood the appeal of wanking a great power/major power which effectively already HAD their wank OTL ;)

fdas

Banned
Poland in the Conrad Stargard series gets an industrial revolution in Medieval times, and superintelligent horses, and magic cheese that cures illness, and lots of literal wanking (you don't want to know).

It's frankly very sexist and exploitative, which I did not appreciate when I picked it up at 14. I read on Amazon that past the point I stopped reading, there is a lot of Islamophobia as well.

Hmmm I remember reading the books a few years ago but I don't recall anything particularly objectionable about it.

Hmmm I remember reading the books a few years ago but I don't recall anything particularly objectionable about it.

You didn't notice the entire species composed of sex slaves in book 6? Or women being described as "special privileges" for knights?

Last edited:
Isn't New Atheism just right-wing atheism anyway?
I don't think Slade's actually an atheist, he's pretty clearly a neocon. SDN tends to be left-populist militarist and atheist from a left-wing perspective, I think the perceived pro-atheist elements of Salvation War were just to keep Slade's social capital on SDN.

I don't think Slade's actually an atheist, he's pretty clearly a neocon. SDN tends to be left-populist militarist and atheist from a left-wing perspective, I think the perceived pro-atheist elements of Salvation War were just to keep Slade's social capital on SDN.
Ah, makes sense.
Admittedly, given how a good portion of the New Atheism crowd has ended up going and joining the Trumpean sphere (do we have a good term for the more moderate parts of his faction i.e. Kirk? I don't think it's fair to call everyone a Neo-Reactionary), it's not particularly difficult to imagine him holding both views simultaneously.

Ah, makes sense.
Admittedly, given how a good portion of the New Atheism crowd has ended up going and joining the Trumpean sphere (do we have a good term for the more moderate parts of his faction i.e. Kirk? I don't think it's fair to call everyone a Neo-Reactionary), it's not particularly difficult to imagine him holding both views simultaneously.
If he were just a neocon, why wouldn't he make the enemy force the Norse gods or something instead of deliberately picking the most offensive choice imaginable?

Obviously the Draka and Man in the High Castle are poster children for wanks, but The New Order: Last Days of Europe is also an egregious one.
I also feel TNO is a wank , but it is able to properly show how idiotic and ludicrous most of Germany's plans were , and that the Nazis would have eventually failed regardless

I also feel TNO is a wank , but it is able to properly show how idiotic and ludicrous most of Germany's plans were , and that the Nazis would have eventually failed regardless
TNO is a bad joke that runs on bad takes and cringey memes. It ironically becomes a straightforward Nazi wank, despite its protestations.

If he were just a neocon, why wouldn't he make the enemy force the Norse gods or something instead of deliberately picking the most offensive choice imaginable?
Because this was Stardestroyer.net in the Bush era. A website infamous for its love of performative vituperation and fond of what was at the time considered "edgy left-wing" politics. (they've since mellowed out a bit, I've heard)

The only way Slade could slip in his hate of Hillary Clinton was by having dumb stuff like Karl Rove gleefully applauding the discovery that aborted fetuses are used as currency in hell. (of course, Bush is portrayed positively as he responds to that little bit of lunacy) Yes, the story is exactly as bad as that makes it sound. It is, after all, a guy with controversial political views trying to simultaneously pander to people who loathe those political views while indulging his cringiest fantasies.