Big Indian Ocean islands

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-11-sunken-islands-tectonic-shift-gondwana.html
:
(PhysOrg.com) -- In the remote waters of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth, scientists have just discovered two sunken islands, almost the size of Tasmania, which were once part of the supercontinent Gondwana.
/

And, yes, a map would have been nice...

Well, there's the Kerguelen Plateau, located near the bottom of the Indian Ocean, which would qualify as a good sized minicontinent, an appreciable fraction the size of Australia, and I think larger than Madagascar. It's a volanic uplift rather than continental fragment. Something like Iceland. It first rose 90 million years ago, sank and rose twice more, before submerging a final time 20 million years ago.

And then there's the Mascarene fragments in the eastern side of the Indian Ocean, which were bits of continental plate that seem to have broken off.

But these items seem new.

Seems like a lot of specifics were left out of the article/fluffed up press release in favor of vague approximations, like thousands of kilometers. The Perth Abyssal Plain at its widest is only just of over a thousand km from East to west and as it lies just off the coast of Western Australia these islands couldn't be 'thousands' of km into the middle of the Indian Ocean. They sound a bit like the Orphan Knoll just north of the Grand Banks, a small piece of continental shelf left behind when two continents rifted apart. But it was so small that it kind of slumped down and submerged as rifting pulled it away from the continental margins.

As for these 'sunken islands' I assume they are known features which are now being surveyed in greater detail and found to be continental fragments rather than volcanic seamounts or oceanic ridges or something else. Since we've had reasonably accurate bathymetry for quite some time now it seems unlikely that this could be an previously undetected prominent rise in the middle of an abyssal plain. Especially given the relative size of the Perth Abyssal plain compared to a Tasmania sized feature. I assume they will be used to boost Australia's EEZ under UNCLOS provision for extensions of the continental shelf, perhaps that's where the funding for this expedition came from.

It's too bad they didn't specify the location but I'd guess based on the description that it was at the northern or western fringe of the plain. Perhaps they were actually talking about the Wallaby Plateau? Though I'd assume if that was the case they'd refer to it by name. And of course its assumed to be volcanic in nature like the Broken Ridge-Kerguelen group. But Australia has been doing surveys there in recent years to advance claims under UNCLOS and a serious revision from volcanic to continental origins would definitely change the understanding of the formation of that part of the Indian Ocean.

The Dirk Hartog Ridge seems unlikely given its formation and the Zenith Plateau, Batavia Knoll and Gulden Draak Knoll don't technically border the Abyssal Plain, at least I don't believe so. It will probably be cleared up when this is published in an academic journal and the full scope over their findings are analyzed.

Just saw another article on this subject, that provides specifics. So it was indeed the Batavia Knoll and the Gulden Draak Ridge which would place these 'sunken islands' 1600km NW and 1700km W of Perth, respectively. The 'Tasmania sized' description is a bit deceiving as they're relatively deep, the highest parts are quite small and don't look all that impressive on most sea floor maps. You would need some serious ASB help to make anything of them.