Better names for US warships

Might not go well with the British or the millions outside of North Dakota, but either USS Bismarck or City of Bismarck

Back to the original question:
How about Native American tribes and leaders for US ship names? There must be enough for a whole class of warships rather than the handful randomly attributed here - https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/diversity/american-indians.html

An American "tribal class" (ideally after asking the tribes "are you ok with us using the name, which I imagine most will) would be pretty cool. I wonder what ship type however.
My cheeky side wants to say SSBN because reservations are under the Federal government like the states but more seriously the likeliest is probably a smaller surface combatant (with USN reviving Constellation for a class of Frigate means they won't necessarily go with the Destroyer naming scheme with Frigates now, so that is probably the largest possible ship other than perhaps auxiliary vessels). One could try to argue Cruisers or SSNs by arguing both Alaska class territory/commonwealth names as a precedent for subdivision names that are not states and one might also try to argue that while reservations might not be as important as states they are at least at the level of cities.

An American "tribal class" (ideally after asking the tribes "are you ok with us using the name, which I imagine most will) would be pretty cool. I wonder what ship type however.
My cheeky side wants to say SSBN because reservations are under the Federal government like the states but more seriously the likeliest is probably a smaller surface combatant (with USN reviving Constellation for a class of Frigate means they won't necessarily go with the Destroyer naming scheme with Frigates now, so that is probably the largest possible ship other than perhaps auxiliary vessels). One could try to argue Cruisers or SSNs by arguing both Alaska class territory/commonwealth names as a precedent for subdivision names that are not states and one might also try to argue that while reservations might not be as important as states they are at least at the level of cities.
Incidentally, the US Naval Academy is removing references to "Tecumseh" and replacing it with the more accurate Tamanend.

The US Coast Guard seemed to name a lot of their ships after first nations. More historically than the current ships.
Also, the Army seems to name helicopters after first nations.

Hmmm..
USS Congressional Approval [x]
USS Progressional Disapproval [x]
USS Widowmaker [o]
USS Tormentor [o]
USS Violence [o]
USS Peacemaker [o]
USS Gunboat [o]
USS Diplomacy [o]
USS Antipathy [o]
USS Hostility [o]
USS Democracy [o]
USS Theocracy [o]
USS Anarchy [o]
USS Injury [o]
USS Inquiry [o]
USS Commandment [o]
USS Ammendment [o]
USS Respect [o]
USS Falcon [*]
USS Hawk [*]
USS Crane [*]
USS Heron [*]
USS Meadowlark [*]
USS Magpie [*]
USS Raven [*]
USS Seagull [*]
USS Crow [*]
USS Vulture [*]

x= battle/mega/super cruiser names
o= Battleship/cruiser/destroyer/submarine names
*= If you havent guessed, carrier names

Some of these names came to me while playing Rule the Waves or Ultimate Admiral Dreadnaughts... And I realize the USN has naming conventions for reasons, but its always fun to think outside the box and make people think.

A little silly idea, something inspired by 40k's space hulks?

USS Sin of Damnation
USS Monolith of Woe
USS Herald of Grief
USS Pinnacle of Savagery

Etc, etc...

How about a Mel Gibson , John Wayne , Clint Eastwood or chuck norris
Iconic military silver screen action hero’s
( btw I personally don’t support that )

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Surrey (county, not council district) isn't landlocked, its northern boundary is the (navigable) River Thames.
Yes, it is confusing. I live 250 yards from the Greater London boundary so: -
  • My postal address is Surrey and a non-London post code;
  • But I live the the London Borough of Croydon (for my sins);
  • I can't vote in the Surrey County elections;
  • But I can vote in the London Mayoral elections;
  • Phone code - definitely London (used to be 01);
  • I am a member of Surrey County Cricket Club, based at the Oval, that officially hasn't been part of Surrey for decades.

Driftless

Donor
Yes, it is confusing. I live 250 yards from the Greater London boundary so: -
  • My postal address is Surrey and a non-London post code;
  • But I live the the London Borough of Croydon (for my sins);
  • I can't vote in the Surrey County elections;
  • But I can vote in the London Mayoral elections;
  • Phone code - definitely London (used to be 01);
  • I am a member of Surrey County Cricket Club, based at the Oval, that officially hasn't been part of Surrey for decades.
To paraphrase from the title of an old American classic short story: are you a "Man Without a County"?;):biggrin:

Middlesex are the lodgers at Lord's, which is owned by the Marylebone Cricket Club.

Yes, the 'headquarters' of cricket, owned by a village club.

You're still in Surrey, all that's changed is who empties your bins. Lancashire CCC play at Old Trafford, Aigburth, Southport and, occasionally, Clitheroe. Council-wise, that's Trafford, City of Liverpool, Sefton and Lancashire.