Better Jurassic Park sequels

Better JP:III idea.

During the T-Rex VS Spino fight have Spiny injure not kill the Rex ans end it with the Rex running away but not before giving an angry defiant roar that shows she'll want revenge. Then during the final Spino attack the Rex shows up and not only saves the crew but also kills the Spino in an homage to how ghe first filmed ended.

Hi guys. I’ve been reading your ideas and I liked most of them. But I think you’re missing something: ‘Jurassic Park’ sequels must revolve around one thing only: Jurassic Parks. Obvious, isn’t it? What I mean is that they should have kept making movies about parks which totally fail, because that’s what JP is: Parks that totally fail. No Venezuelan wild dinos, no terrorists, no dino zoos in a city… Only parks on islands. Taking this into account, this is what I would have liked to see:

-Jurassic Park II: They open a new park, which of course fails. The island would be close to Azores or maybe Guam (in the book, Hammond says he intended to open more parks in these places). But, what excuse do we have to make a second island fail? Well, in JP they almost don’t give any importance to the fact that the dinosaurs can reproduce. It’s almost an anecdote in the story. That’s fine, because that way they could have exploited this in depth in JPII: there’s no need for another sabotage - in the new island, dinosaurs outnumber people, go wild, and take control of the island by themselves. The story now would be about tourists, somehow like those Poseidon transatlantic adventures: how normal people survive the ‘attractions’.

-Jurassic Park III: InGen is falling. There will be no more parks, so now the company wants to get back their ‘products’. They have cleared the second island -where JPII took place- and now they send a special team to clear a THIRD ISLAND that was about to be opened when the second one failed (we are talking about a creepy abandoned amusement park with dinosaurs here). Marlboro men hunting dinosaurs again. But again, they underestimate nature and dinos totally own them. Lots of action, mercenaries, explosions, guns and stuff, but actually the guys who kick the bucket would be humans, not dinosaurs. As someone said already, I wouldn’t like to see dinosaurs dying. They are the main characters in JP.

-Jurassic World. I wouldn’t change much of the real Jurassic World movie. I would simply make it a good movie (I think JW sucked in terms of narrative, acting, and CGI. It also fails to provoke that feeling of magic JP had). But the excuse is fine: new management in the park. They blissfully ignore the history of previous parks and even go a step beyond creating a new dinosaur... It's a new and perfectly valid reason for a park to be shot to hell... again. I like it. And we finally get to the last movie:

-The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Now that we have used up all the ‘park plots’ ever possible, we turn to the lost world story at last. Because I do think it’s a good thing to let dinosaurs keep their island and live happily ever after in Sorna. So, we have the last chapter of the saga here. Of course, if InGen has fallen, then who goes there to plunder the island? Easy. We use the book. It’s Biosyn. Dodgson, the classical villain, the man that made the original Park fall, returns. Like Jurassic World, The Lost World was quite a bad movie in my opinion. I would remake it so that it looks better. But I almost wouldn’t change a thing apart from that. Maybe giving a main role to Tembo, yes.

At this point we have four awesome JP sequels with no terrorists, no dino soldiers, and no cheesy subplots. Real Jurassic Park stuff. No more sequels are needed. But maybe it’s prequel time! I haven’t thought about that yet. But maybe it would be cool to see a stubborn young Hammond losing control of Sorna back in the eighties. ‘No, no, no. I will prevail over this goddamn island!’. It would be later, in the original JP, when the old Hammond we all know finally learns the truth: life finds a way. Also the rivalry between Biosyn and InGen could be derived from some events of the prequel: the partner of Hammond gets fired and angrily promises to create his own JP like Bender in Futurama. Something like that.

I know I will never see this stuff in a movie, but I get excited every time I think about it. I write stories as a hobby, and I’m working in that JPII version of mine right now. (I write in Spanish, my mother tongue, so please don’t judge my writing skills by reading this post). The thing is I will write all these movies eventually. I know I don’t own a thing because I’m using copyrighted stuff, and that’s why I’ll post them online when I finish them.

Last edited:
Hmmm...well apart from Jurassic Park III, pretty much all the sequels were about parks:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park revolved around Hammond's nephew trying to capture dinosaurs on Isla Sorna for a park they plan to open in San Diego

Jurassic World revolves around the Park on Isla Nublar being rebuilt and opened finally.

As for your suggested four sequels...I like some of the ideas, but honestly after what happens in your proposed Jurassic Park II, the your Jurassic Park III would be the logical ending to your Jurassic Park trilogy since after the failure of two parks and the disaster at a park that was abandoned before opening, there is just no way that the original park would be rebuilt and opened as in Jurassic World (much less for a Lost World: Jurassic Park storyline to happen)...not without alien space bats. And this was the issue some of us had with Jurassic World as it stands now - for it to make sense they have to ignore the Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III and the filmmakers basically said as much without having the balls to come out and say that Jurassic World is a reboot of the sequels that totally ignores the two previous sequels.

Hmmm...well apart from Jurassic Park III, pretty much all the sequels were about parks:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park revolved around Hammond's nephew trying to capture dinosaurs on Isla Sorna for a park they plan to open in San Diego

Jurassic World revolves around the Park on Isla Nublar being rebuilt and opened finally.

I know, I know. But I wasn't talking about the sequels we already have, but the possible sequels you guys have mentioned - those ideas about wild raptors in South American jungles or dinosaurs conquering the world like in the Xenozoic Tales.

About creating a Jurassic World after my second Jurassic Park, well, we have like six Alien sequels, all of them quite stupid. They even made a clone of Ripley! I'm sure we could ignore logic in this case and simply accept the plot of Jurassic World the same way people have accepted other sequels. Anyway, Jurassic World is totally dispensable as a movie. I just tried to recycle it into my scheme, but I don't really like it.

What I don't understand is why you think a lost world story isn't compatible with my JP II and III. Why not? InGen has disappeared, now the dinosaurs are wild and other companies seek to take advantage of them. It sounds reasonable. And it would be a good ending.

The Lost World Jurassic Park could've been better if it actually simply adapted Crichton's novel faithfully.

Jurassic Park III could deal with dinosaurs getting off the island and onto the mainland of South America.

If viewers hated Kellie in the movie I can't imagine how much they would hate Kellie AND Arby.

So no, please, no faithful adaptation of TLW book. In fact, no TLW book at all could be an improvement.

I'm going to go there and suggest removing Spielberg from the franchise. He was the right man to direct the first movie but not to take creative control of the sequels. JP needed Spielberg to stay out as much as Star Wars needed to say bye to Lucas.

- Spielberg saved Malcolm in the first film and asked Crichton to write a sequel with him as the protagonist because Malcolm was his favorite character. Though they largely ignored the novel in the end, the chore error of making Malcolm the protagonist remained. Malcolm was a great secondary character, but he is not protagonist material and isn't a commanding figure (Crichton was right in NOT making Malcolm the leader of the expedition). They made him a leader in the TLW film, and the result was that he wasn't Malcolm anymore. They should have not gone with that and just give the leading part to Grant.

- Since Nublar was not destroyed in film canon, there was no need to use Sorna. Just go back to Nublar. Show us the old park destroyed and eaten by the jungle like JW did. They had plenty of other dinosaurs and attractions that the first film only hinted and never showed (aquarium, aviary, etc).

- Spielberg disregarded a climax with raptors AND pteranodons in the island in favor of the terrible T-rex scene in San Diego just because he wanted to shoot a dinosaur rampaging in a city like Godzilla. Since the pteranodon scene was based on the first book anyway, I supposethat Koepp would have written a similar one even without the TLW novel. This would feel like a real, natural escalation and not like a last minute add on like the San Diego subplot. Ludlow or his equivalent can survive and take dinosaurs to the mainland to use in the second sequel, but please, not at the end of the first one.

- The third movie? Set it in a functioning park like JW, but in the mainland to cut costs (in universe). Let it unfold from there.

- Since Nublar was not destroyed in film canon, there was no need to use Sorna. Just go back to Nublar. Show us the old park destroyed and eaten by the jungle like JW did. They had plenty of other dinosaurs and attractions that the first film only hinted and never showed (aquarium, aviary, etc).

But getting rid of Sorna is a mistake in my opinion. It's a decent excuse to have a last sequel when Nublar has been used for other movies. It's like 'ok, here we go, last park ever'.

If *TLW had taken place in Nublar the dinosaurs would have been feral/free after having been abandoned for years, same as in the movie we got. I'm really just skipping JP3, a movie that should have never been filmed. The series would still be:

- Unopened Park (JP)
- Abandoned Park / Wild Island (JP2)
- Functioning Park (JP3)

They could even keep the Spino as the new bad dino in 3 (Johnston wanted a new carnivore and Horner was at the worse of his anti-rex crusade, plus it had just been discovered Spino was the largest theropod) but people would have received it better because it wouldn't have come out of nowhere. I would also have preferred a real dinosaur in a JW-like plot over a magic fictional hybrid. And I repeat, this movie would not take place in an island, but in a finished park on the mainland.

Last edited:
Why do the sequels need all to take place in a theme park and on the islands off Costa Rica? There are plenty of ways for them to be brought to the mainland or smuggled off elsewhere. I wouldn't mind seeing a mesosaur escape into the ocean. The original novel had animals escaping off the island and onto the mainland. They were killed and thought to be large native lizards when they were not.

It would be interesting to see an island get napalmed though.

I know, I know. But I wasn't talking about the sequels we already have, but the possible sequels you guys have mentioned - those ideas about wild raptors in South American jungles or dinosaurs conquering the world like in the Xenozoic Tales.

About creating a Jurassic World after my second Jurassic Park, well, we have like six Alien sequels, all of them quite stupid. They even made a clone of Ripley! I'm sure we could ignore logic in this case and simply accept the plot of Jurassic World the same way people have accepted other sequels. Anyway, Jurassic World is totally dispensable as a movie. I just tried to recycle it into my scheme, but I don't really like it.

What I don't understand is why you think a lost world story isn't compatible with my JP II and III. Why not? InGen has disappeared, now the dinosaurs are wild and other companies seek to take advantage of them. It sounds reasonable. And it would be a good ending.

I'm not swayed by the idea that just because some other movie franchises may or may not have stupid sequels then it is should be quite alright for the franchise in question to have similarly illogical sequels when we are discussing how such sequels could have been better (as suggested in the thread title and OP). :D

As for the lost world story, it isn't compatible with your JP II and III because after the outright failure of two parks and a disaster at a third that never opened, it defies belief that even Biosyn would want to sanction a mission by Dodgson to go capture some of the very same animals that were responsible for the failure of those parks and the collapse of their rival. As a predatory firm, Biosyn is looking for success off the backs of others. It will want to avoid proven failures, which is what Jurassic Park (and more specifically any and ALL InGen created dinosaurs) represents.

Think about it, how would anyone convince the Biosyn board of directors that opening a park with dinosaurs is a good idea? Which tourist is going to want to go to a dinosaur park with real dinosaurs again after all those headlines screaming about tourists basically having paid to become dino-food in your JPII? Even if they were all heavily drugged up and intoxicated, Biosyn's board of directors should be able to recognize that the number of people who will come to the park will be minuscule.

And it wouldn't be just the park. The number of people wanting to have anything to do with the dinosaurs (whether in a park or miniaturized as pets) will be extremely low. A negligible market.

After all this isn't just a regular zoo escape. Here you had genetically engineered theme park monsters literally overrunning their island theme park and eating and maiming tourists. There hasn't been an equivalent zoo disaster like that in modern times. By the end of JPIII, it would be incredible if various governments around the world hadn't outright banned the cloning, rearing and owning of these animals for public safety.

So what would be Biosyn's reason for sending Dodgson other than the fact that maybe some of the directors might like to send him to Isla Sorna specifically with the hope that he becomes lunch for a T-rex?

So what would be Biosyn's reason for sending Dodgson other than the fact that maybe some of the directors might like to send him to Isla Sorna specifically with the hope that he becomes lunch for a T-rex?

Ok, I see your point. Yes, creating a new park would be a bad idea at that point. But they could use the plot of the book: in the books, Biosyn has never wanted to create a park. They only wanted to have the dinosaurs to take a series of samples of InGen's creatures, learn from their technology, and develop new stuff from it. Since InGen dinosaurs are 'artificial' living beings, they don't have any legal rights. That means Biosyn could take them and do cruel experiments with them, test products on them, turn them into dino soldiers like in JW, and so on. They don't really know what they would do with them in the books. They just want to get that technology because they see its clear potential.

And that's a good thing because the plot of a lost world movie would be about those who want to protect wildlife vs. those who want to plunder and corrupt nature to commercialize it (rather than insane control of nature vs. nature finds a way as in the previous movies). It would be a slightly different approach, I mean.

Last edited:
Ok, I see your point. Yes, creating a new park would be a bad idea at that point. But they could use the plot of the book: in the books, Biosyn has never wanted to create a park. They only wanted to have the dinosaurs to take a series of samples of InGen's creatures, learn from their technology, and develop new stuff from it. Since InGen dinosaurs are 'artificial' living beings, they don't have any legal rights. That means Biosyn could take them and do cruel experiments with them, test products on them, turn them into dino soldiers like in JW, and so on. They don't really know what they would do with them in the books. They just want to get that technology because they see its clear potential.

And that's a good thing because the plot of a lost world movie would be about those who want to protect wildlife vs. those who want to plunder and corrupt nature to commercialize it (rather than insane control of nature vs. nature finds a way as in the previous movies). It would be a slightly different approach, I mean.

Very good point. I could see that working. Maybe prior to your JPIII though, as a movie inbetween JPII and JPIII, because by the end of JPIII it is very likely that there would be a global ban on the cloning of these creatures which would mean that for Biosyn animal experiments on them could only be done with the ones they capture. Which means the supply is limited. Any attempt to capture them to clone them to get more subjects for experiments is going to be running some rather high risks with governments around the world that I think even Biosyn would be keen to avoid.