Better Al Gore Running Mate

In OTL, Al Gore's short list of running mates narrowed down to:
  • Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana
  • Senator John Edwards of North Carolina
  • House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt
  • Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts
  • Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut (Selected in OTL)
  • Governor Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire
Other candidates speculated by the media included:
  • Senator Barbara Boxer of California
  • Gore's only rival for the nomination, Former Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey
  • Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Andrew Cuomo
  • Governor Gray Davis of California
  • Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois
  • Senator Diane Feinstein of California
  • Senator Bob Graham of Florida
  • Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa
  • Governor Jim Hunt of North Carolina
  • Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska
  • Senator Zell Miller of Georgia
  • Senator Barbara Mikulski of Maryland
  • Former Senate Majority Leader George J. Mitchell
  • Former Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia
  • Secretary of Energy Bill Richardson

Last edited:
I've always thought Bayh would be good. Sam Nunn would be a dream come true. If 9/11 still happens then we would have been blessed to have Nunn. But that is two south on the same ticket twice in a row.

I will admit to voting for Bush in 2000. However, I thought Cheney was horrible.

Jeanne Shaheen has the advantage of being history-making and could probably bring NH with her which, if all the other states go the same way as counted, is enough to bring the ticket across the 270 line.

I think Graham would be a winner too.

According to research I did about Al Gore's list of running mates it included: Tom Harkin, Evan Bayh, Barbara Boxer, John Edwards, Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Mikulski, Dick Gephardt, Bob Graham, Jim Hunt, John Kerry, Bob Kerrey, Zell Miller, George Mitchell, Sam Nunn, and Jeanne Shaheen.

That's just the generic Wiki list. Most news accounts have it between Edwards and Lieberman (some I've seen suggest Kerry was the third choice). I think Edwards would have been a strong running mate.

That's just the generic Wiki list. Most news accounts have it between Edwards and Lieberman (some I've seen suggest Kerry was the third choice). I think Edwards would have been a strong running mate.

Eesh. Edwards was a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. I could almost imagine Vice President John Edwards winning the nomination in 2008 only for the economy to still tank. That would have been really, really bad for the Democratic Party.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
in 2000, I think Edwards was just barely a Senator.

I thought the guy was inexperienced four years later when Kerry tapped him in 2004.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
I think Joe Lieberman was an alright choice. He achieved the main vice-presidential task for the campaign of not hurting the ticket. A heck of a system we have, but that's the system.

Eesh. Edwards was a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. I could almost imagine Vice President John Edwards winning the nomination in 2008 only for the economy to still tank. That would have been really, really bad for the Democratic Party.

I categorically disagree. Edwards - at least to my knowledge - is not a womanizer to the bone, unlike JFK/Clinton I don't think he has a history of affairs. He fell in love with Rielle Hunter, and that was that. I'm not excusing his adultery, but I don't know there's evidence to suggest he would've cheated on Elizabeth with just any woman to come along. If Edwards becomes VP, he likely never meets Hunter and there is no affair.

@GeographyDude That's why he wasn't chosen, but he was heavily considered. I remember reading he was the #2 choice - I'm on mobile so I didn't really have the ability to find a source and link you...

Still, Mr. Gore has managed to bump into several of his prospects along the campaign trail. He attended a fund-raising reception tonight at the Virginia home of Mr. Kerry. On Sunday, he met with Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut at the Manhattan apartment of the singer Paul Simon. He begins a vacation on Thursday in North Carolina on an island that is home to Mr. Edwards. Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana will be vacationing nearby.

When Mr. Gore had to cancel his appearance at a dinner in Nashville last week, he asked Senator Bob Graham of Florida to fill in. After Mr. Christopher met with Mr. Gore this morning, he met with Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa.

[...]

If Mr. Bush had picked a woman, or someone who could have helped the Republicans win a critical state, Mr. Gore might have felt pressured to pick someone with the same appeal. Some in the Gore camp were worried that Mr. Bush would pick either Senator John McCain of Arizona or Gen. Colin L. Powell, both of whom might have electrified voters in a way that would have been difficult for Mr. Gore to counter.
New York Times, July 26th, 2000

That sounds about right for the final short list. George Mitchell and all the women were crossed off as soon as Cheney was picked I imagine.

Basically any of them could have won Gore the election via simple butterflies.

Had Gore won in 2000, economic policies would have been different. The tanking of the economy would have been less severe and later, so the person elected in 2008 would feel the full burden. Another point, Gore's reaction after 9/11 may have been different. He would not have invaded Iraq. Hawkish republicans could have made him a one-term president in 2004.

I think butterflies could have pushed it either direction.

Well yeah :). But Bush won IOTL, and even if the butterflies pushed it to him winning the election with the popular & electoral vote and without the Supreme Court that wouldn't do much besides dampen a little Democratic 2004 attitudes. So I skipped that half of the butterflies, lol, though you are of course entirely right :D

Although if someone wants to run with that timeline (Gore different VP, Bush wins a little bit more), the little differences could be amazing.