Best mapmaking software

Hey yall. Right now i basically use Paint and a steady hand, i was wondering what software anyone recommends? I'm shooting for free, but wouldn't mind investing a little money if there is something that blows everything else out of the water. I'm just looking to make something a bit more professional, basically like this:

A8_Political_Map lowest res.jpg

Paint.NET is good enough to create such a map. There are tools out there that offer many more options and stuff but Paint.NET is the first one that comes to mind (also, free).

Paint.NET is good enough to create such a map. There are tools out there that offer many more options and stuff but Paint.NET is the first one that comes to mind (also, free).
Have you once made such a map in Paint.NET? That seems very very time-consuming and ambitous.

I use Inkscape it is free and vector-based.

Adobe Illustrator is used on many of the higher grade maps around here. I doubt anyone has it legally, though.

RalofTyr

Banned
Open Office has an illustration-program and it is free.

for AH, I use fractal-mapper programs like NBOS, then paint them using MGI or Adobe.

Adobe Illustrator is used on many of the higher grade maps around here. I doubt anyone has it legally, though.
Well, it's CS2 to fairly primitive compared to the modern Illustrator, but if you're a stickler for not pirating things, Adobe did make Adobe Illustrator CS2 free to download right here.

Get Paint.NET and Inkscape.

Use Paint.net to solidify borders and cities and rivers and the lot, then use Inkscape to make everything else look pretty.

Inkscape crashes every once in a while, but a lot of the prettiest maps and flags produced by AH.com's amateur cartographers and vexilogiwhatevers are produced with it.

I believe Inkscape has a version for Mac, although I don't know whether it's any good or not compared to the Microsoft one.