Best Civil War Alternate History?

I have read a fair number of the Civil War Alternate History, but I was wondering which do the people on this site consider the best. If attention is any signal, then TL 191 seems to be the answer, but I have also heard some pretty harsh critiques on them. So which book do you think is the best. Personally I think Shattered Nation by Jeffrey E. Brooks looks like a good read, even if I haven't read it and the author of it was banned from this site.

I have read a fair number of the Civil War Alternate History, but I was wondering which do the people on this site consider the best. If attention is any signal, then TL 191 seems to be the answer, but I have also heard some pretty harsh critiques on them.

Interestingly enough, most of the complaints tend to gravitate towards alternate events decades AFTER the Confederacy winning, instead of the process that leads to actual victory. In TL-191, there are some gaps between September 1862-November 1862 (including the Pre-1880s and Pre-1910s) that are never addressed, if not briefly mentioned.

I've always thought that it would have been a real treat if there was a daily/weekly/yearly record of just HOW exactly the South was able to win and continue to successfully function. The jumps in the timeline were a missed opportunity, in my opinion.

To answer your question, I am only familiar with TL-191 and it ranks up pretty high for me. The only other ones I've seen/read are the mockumentary C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America and one timeline on this site.

Personally I think Shattered Nation by Jeffrey E. Brooks looks like a good read, even if I haven't read it and the author of it was banned from this site.

I didn't know this happened.

What lead to the guy's banning?

You might want to try Lee at Chattanooga. It's a story about what might have happened if Davis had sent Lee to Chattanooga in late 1863.

Man that ban seems a bit much (don’t ban me for saying that please) and if anything is intense Zionism and not nazism. His books are definitely not white nationalist. The fire eaters are constant villains in his series. I really enjoyed the third book “House of the Proud,” the first two were not as good. I’d say beyond that the “Jackson goes west” series is solid.

I read Shattered Nation a few years ago and thought it was fine. George Thomas is portrayed sympathetically, and the fire eaters are generally shown in a negative light. That said, I feel like it downplayed just how central slavery was to the C.S.A.'s existence; they were awfully willing to make concessions. I second Jackson Goes West.

I'm still surprised that the published Civil War alternate history that goes in the most unique direction is the same one that was written by one of the most infamous Speakers of the House in modern history.
The man holds a doctorate in history and taught it for four years at the college level.

Doesn't that have a ridiculously wanked CSA and a ridiculously screwed USA?

Like seriously why do people keep glorifying the oppressive slavocracy that was the Confederate States of America?
Yeah the wanking is ridiculous, no question. What inspired me to put it down is that it basically pioneered CSA victory scenarios (correct me if I’m wrong) and moreso that it wins at Gettysburg and declares victory from there. I think part of the wanking is because it’s from 1953 and thus a product of its time as there was less research available then. As a person I do not glorify the CSA as it was a slaveocracy OTL. Nevertheless, as a reader, it’s interesting to read about scenarios where the CSA wins and see how it affects the world.

Last edited:
William Forstchen's "A Hard Day For Mother" is a story about Gettysburg in the Turtledove-edited collection Alternate Generals. It's about the Chamberlain brothers, that day at Little Round Top.

I have read a fair number of the Civil War Alternate History, but I was wondering which do the people on this site consider the best. If attention is any signal, then TL 191 seems to be the answer, but I have also heard some pretty harsh critiques on them. So which book do you think is the best. Personally I think Shattered Nation by Jeffrey E. Brooks looks like a good read, even if I haven't read it and the author of it was banned from this site.

TL-191 will always have a place in my heart because it is one of those quintessential series which I read in highschool (alongside Peshawar Lancers and Dies the Fire) which piqued my interest in the genre.

I read Shattered Nation a few years ago and thought it was fine. George Thomas is portrayed sympathetically, and the fire eaters are generally shown in a negative light. That said, I feel like it downplayed just how central slavery was to the C.S.A.'s existence; they were awfully willing to make concessions. I second Jackson Goes West.

Shattered Nation is good I think, and its sequel House of the Proud is even better. That one is fun because it goes on from the POD and really elaborates on the Confederacy and the Fire Eaters are definitely the bad guys. It's one that takes a good solid wild look at how an independent Confederacy might function after independence which many novels don't do rather well. For that reason House of the Proud is one of my favorite alternate history novels now.

I'm hoping he returns to future sequels. He just writes good stories I think.

Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen 's (sp) series is surprisingly good.

That one is definitely on my TBR list. It's interesting from what I've read and I'd like to try the whole thing.

That one is definitely on my TBR list. It's interesting from what I've read and I'd like to try the whole thing.
The Gingrich & Forstchen one is very good, if it has any faults its that the last book of the trilogy has a bit of a problem with the writers having to write themselves out of the corner they have written themselves into.
(There's a bit of a rush to the conclusion, and the eventual outcome is at least as contrived as any alternative)