Benito in Paraguay.

The USA provided significant assistance to Paraguay in order to keep them away from the pro-Axis influence of Argentina. Even with all the aid from the USA, Dictator Morinigo lead Paraguay as a pro-Axis nation.

Much to the displeasure of the United States and Britain, Morínigo refused to act against German economic and diplomatic interests until the end of the war. German agents had successfully converted many Paraguayans to the Axis cause. South America's first Nazi Party branch had been founded in Paraguay in 1931. German immigrant schools, churches, hospitals, farmers' cooperatives, youth groups, and charitable societies became active Axis backers. All of those organizations prominently displayed swastikas and portraits of Adolf Hitler. It is no exaggeration to say that Morínigo headed a pro-Axis regime. Large numbers of Paraguayan military officers and government officials were openly sympathetic to the Axis. Among these officials was the national police chief, who named his son Adolfo Hirohito after the leading Axis personalities. By 1941 the official newspaper, El País, had adopted an overtly proGerman stance. At the same time, the government strictly controlled pro-Allied labor unions. Police cadets wore swastikas and Italian insignia on their uniforms.

What if Benito Mussolini was escaped in Paraguay in 1945?
Allied would captured or left alone?
And if the escape had occurred in 1943,shortly after the fall of regime?

Pangur

Donor
What if Benito Mussolini was escaped in Paraguay in 1945?
Allied would captured or left alone?
And if the escape had occurred in 1943,shortly after the fall of regime?

My guess would be that the Allies would see a huge difference between the OTL Paraguay dalliances with the Axis and sheltering Benito. I would expect that the USN and RN would blockade and an invasion to follow

My guess would be that the Allies would see a huge difference between the OTL Paraguay dalliances with the Axis and sheltering Benito. I would expect that the USN and RN would blockade and an invasion to follow

Maybe, or perhaps some of the wartime OAS people keep their knives sharp and get a direct flight to Buenos Aires. Cue epic music, followed by brain splatter on a wall.

The only thing is, what would Good Old Benny do once he's in Paraguay? Surely he isn't going to become the advisor to the Paraguayan leader.

The only thing is, what would Good Old Benny do once he's in Paraguay? Surely he isn't going to become the advisor to the Paraguayan leader.

Probably hide out for a few years, grow his hair out, improve his Spanish, and eventually re-emerge under an assumed name as an immigrant schoolteacher in a small town while writing his memoirs of the war years.

Blockading Paraguay would be tricky, though, with Paraguay being landlocked and all that.
In any case, nobody would shelter Mussolini after WWII - there is absolutely nothing to win in that.