Clive Dunn as Bilbo.

William Hartnell as Gandalf.
Cliff Richard as Aragorn.
Christopher Lee as Sauruman.
Brian Blessed as Gimli.
Roger Moore as Boromir.
Iain Lavander as Legolas.
Clive Dunn as Bilbo.
I doubt Christopher Lee would be Saruman. If anything he'd be Gandalf, he's rather youthful in the 60's but he adored Lord of the Rings. He reads the trilogy every year and he would've been Gandalf in the modern films if it wasn't for the amount of action Gandalf was involved with which would've been hampered by his age.

Fair point, I'll just have William Hartnell play Saruman though he dosn't have the same air of mennace about him. Any ideas for the Hobbits and Golum?

Richard O'Sullivan might make a good Frodo.

Fair point, I'll just have William Hartnell play Saruman though he dosn't have the same air of mennace about him. Any ideas for the Hobbits and Golum?

Richard O'Sullivan might make a good Frodo.
I doubt they'd have Hartnell playing Saruman. He'd have only just finished playing the Doctor and so the association with Doctor Who would be too great for the LoTR TV series to be taken very seriously.

Also Cliff Richard in 1966 might be a bit too baby faced? From what I just saw on Google Images he seemed a bit too young and innocent to play an old, rugged, warrior King.

A couple of people you could look at are John Le Mesurier, David Niven, John Laurie, Basil Rathbone etc.

If you could get Rathbone as Saruman I think you'd be doing a good job, I mean Rathbone still held British citizenship even when living in Hollywood... Though of course in his old age it may be difficult to get him back to Britain.

Perhaps Peter O'Toole as Aragon? After LoA he'd be well known.

Last edited:
John Mills as Theoden
Juliet Mills as Eawyn
Honor Blackman as Galadrial
Dirk Bogarde as Aragorn
Diana Rigg as Arwen
Cliff Richard as Perigrin Took
Davy Jones as Merry

Admitedly these might be too expensive for the Beeb
Can't think of anyone for Sam, they've got to be asle to do a reasonable country accent. (nothing as laughable as Dick Van Dyke's cockny)

Last edited:
How about three six week seasons shown on Sunday's in the run up to Christmas, with a repeat run in the summer holidays? If they were filmed in colour they'd be able to repeat them for years, and sell them in the US.

How are we breaking up the series? Personally, I think it'd be more interesting to do three "seasons" worth of shows, to allow the show to delve even further into the books...

Season 1964-1965 "The Fellowship of the ring"
Season 1965-1966 "The two towers"
Season 1966 "The return of the King".

I think that Cristopher Lee could be a good choise for Gandalf,and Peter Cushing for Saruman.
More a good choise for Bilbo could be this guy...

http://bealing.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/carmichael4.jpg

What about Dudley Moore for Bilbo?

http://stabbers.truth.posiweb.net/stabbers/imgs/dudley/dudley01.jpg