Dragon Quest: The War Of Legend is a tactical RPG developed by Enix for the Nintendo Sapphire. It can best be compared to a Final Fantasy Tactics-style game, but with Dragon Quest art design, gameplay, music, and tropes

Intsys: HEY YOU GO AND MAKE YOUR OWN STRATEGY SERIES *Points over to the cyrotube that Tactics Ogre has been in since Princes Of The Universe.*

Hi @RySenkari and @Nivek! I just finished reading through all 3 parts (took a long time) and I have to say that this is incredible. Great writing, and all of the games are cool. I'm really looking forward to how the rest of the TL plays out. Great job so far and keep up the good work!

Hi @RySenkari and @Nivek! I just finished reading through all 3 parts (took a long time) and I have to say that this is incredible. Great writing, and all of the games are cool. I'm really looking forward to how the rest of the TL plays out. Great job so far and keep up the good work!
I’m more interested in the non-gaming parts like movies and cartoons, but I think the gaming scene is quite cool too.

Spring 2013 (Part 1) - Marvel's Heroic Team-Ups
The Avengers

The Avengers is an action beat 'em up game exclusive to the Nintendo Connect, developed by the same team that made the Connect Spider-Man game (the two games were worked on concurrently). It takes some of its beats from the TTL 2012 movie, but also features its own unique storyline and characters, and tries to take advantage of the Connect's abilities to provide a cinematic experience in a handheld package. Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Ant-Man, and the Wasp form the main superhero team, but are also joined by Spider-Man and Scarlet Witch. While Loki plays a major antagonistic role in the game, the game's primary antagonist is Galactus, who seeks to swallow up the Earth and must be defeated by the Avengers, who are tasked with gathering various powerful artifacts from a variety of villains encountered throughout the world, including the Green Goblin, the Mandarin, the Red Skull, and Crossfire. Combat in The Avengers is mostly straightforward beat 'em up, but playstyle does vary based on the hero used. Captain America is a sort of jack of all trades, Spider-Man is quick, the Hulk is powerful but slow, Thor is powerful but imprecise, and Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, and the Wasp all require a lot of technical skill. Players can power up their heroes throughout the game with points earned from defeating enemies, establishing a sort of pseudo "level up" system that gives players a sense of progression and also makes the combat (which can be tedious at times) worthwhile. There are also plenty of side missions, though most of them are fairly quick and simple, with most of the narrative strength given to the game's main plot. There are cutscenes galore in this game, though none of the film actors reprise their roles, and instead, the Avengers and villains are played mostly by voice-over veterans (with Nolan North as Captain America, Grey Delisle as the Wasp, etc.). The game doesn't do anything really groundbreaking or special, and is instead intended to capitalize on a popular property while bringing many of these heroes to the Connect for the first time. It succeeds at those goals, and is a strong seller, but reviews are merely good, and many Connect players actually prefer the Spider-Man title from 2012.

-

Fox Family's Guardians Of The Galaxy proved to be a major hit after its launch in the fall of 2012. A TV10-rated animated series, the show was heavily based on the new comic team from the late 2000s and not the original 1960s comic incarnations, though all of those characters would find their way to the new animated universe as the series' four seasons of 88 episodes progressed. The show was intended to be a sort of counterpart to the 2012 live-action Avengers film, not in terms of plot or story tropes (the two series did not share a continuity) but to establish a superhero team on one of Fox's television properties that could thrive on its own. Fox considered adapting The Avengers for television, and would do so later on, but they decided against it initially, not wanting younger viewers to confuse the two versions of the popular superhero team. Instead, the Guardians got their own show, with a team consisting of Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Gamora, and Quasar initially. Characters such as Adam Warlock and Drax would make their way to the show later on (Drax in season 2, Adam Warlock in a three-part season 1 finale special), but during the first season the show worked to establish the dynamic between the initial team. With Star-Lord and Gamora as a sort of "will they or won't they" couple/rival duo, and Rocket Raccoon and Groot already established as a duo, Quasar became somewhat of the loner of the team, and also a bit of a loose cannon, with her allegiance flipping back and forth at times (she would betray the team "for good" at the end of season 1, clearing the way for Adam Warlock to join the team, but would achieve a small degree of redemption in season 2, and would flip back and forth numerous times with some fans comparing her to the character of Cree from Spy School... the fact that she was voiced by Cree Summer was a coincidence). Star-Lord, voiced by Seth Green, was a typical action hero, but with a bit of a shady past, and though he too would at times commit some morally ambiguous acts, his loyalty to the team was unquestioned. Gamora, voiced by Laura Bailey, turned out to be more of an "action girl" archetype, though not as rough around the edges as Quasar. Rocket Raccoon, voiced by Jesse Corti, was probably the most "comic relief" character amongst the group, a sort of berserker criminal who frequently got the team into trouble. Accompanied by Groot (voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, though all he could say was "I am Groot"), Rocket was a powerful ally, though also a loose cannon and at times a liability.

The team primarily dealt with threats all over the universe, and the format of the show for most episodes was a sort of "monster of the week" format where the Guardians would land (sometimes crash land) on a planet or space station, find out about a problem, and use their skills to solve it. However, the show also had an overarching plot involving the Kree, a group of world-conquering space aliens who had seeded worlds with sleeper agents, and had also created a group of superpowered beings known as the Inhumans. These Inhumans were initially charged with carrying out the Kree's bidding, but many broke off and formed their own societies, and would play a major role in the plot of the series itself, with some becoming allies of the Guardians, others becoming enemies, and a few occupying the space inbetween. Each season would see new heroes and villains come into the fold, with the lineup of the team changing at least once each season. Each season also had a primary villain. Season 1's main villain would be Ronan the Accuser, Season 2's main villain would be the Inhuman traitor Unspoken, Season 3's main villain would be Adam Warlock's alternate timeline villainous self Magus, and Season 4's main villain would be Thanos. Not all villains would be limited to one season: Ronan returned numerous times after his season 1 defeat, and Quasar would be a recurring villain numerous times as well, until her final redemption midway through season 4. The show was one of the more "mature" Fox Family animated series, showing numerous brutal fights and even blood at times, pushing the boundaries of the Y10 rating. The show would also be one of the first Fox Family shows to feature a same-sex relationship, establishing Quasar as a lesbian and placing her in relationships with both the Kree princess Crystal (who Quasar initially abducts during a season 2 episode but would later reconcile with and enter into a relationship with) and the heroine Moondragon, the latter of which would become her most enduring relationship in the series. Moondragon would start in an antagonistic role, aiding one of Quasar's villainous endeavors, but would later join the Guardians in season 3, and would help lead Quasar to a path of redemption, one that would unfortunately be completed with her death (however, Quasar would find solace in Crystal, with it being implied that the two get together following the events of the series finale). As mentioned earlier, numerous members of the original 1969 Guardians team, particularly Vance Astro/Major Victory and Yondu Udonta, would appear and play major roles in the series, with two of them (Yondu and Nikki Gold) even joining the team for a time. Indeed, across the series' 88 episodes, every single character who had been a part of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics would make an appearance in the series, paying tribute to the beloved comic's 40+ year legacy.

The series would air from 2012 to 2017, seeing strong initial ratings for its first two seasons that would taper off during seasons 3 and 4, but remaining a strong part of Fox Family's animated lineup for the time it aired and helping to pave the way for even more Marvel shows to come to the channel. The creators knew that season 4 would be the last, and wrote the entire last half of the fourth season with the finale in mind, tying up nearly every loose end (leaving a couple tantalyzing ones open for spinoffs and fan speculation) and putting the bow on one of the best superhero animated series of all time. It helped to boost sales of the comics as well, and led to at least one video game spinoff, as well as slightly increased success for live action films featuring the characters. It's remembered as one of the iconic animated shows of the 2010s, and has a strong fan following continuing to this day.

-from an article on Tubehound, posted on July 29, 2019

-

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. To Get Series Of Graphic Novels Released Over The Next Two Years

With all the superheroics occuring in the Marvel Universe, not a lot of thought is often given to the agents of the organization S.H.I.E.L.D., who spend much of their time cleaning up the messes those superheroes make while keeping humanity safe. Now, a series of graphic novels called Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Debriefed will chronicle the adventures of six separate agents, each getting their own graphic novel. The first, released later this month, will tell the story of Agent Zane Harper, who loses his arm during a battle between Thor and a group of aliens, and becomes a candidate for a biomechanical graft. As he deals with his new arm and the mysterious side effects, he must also be a mentor to a young agent named Julie, a student of the new S.H.I.E.L.D. protocols who could be a potential liability. Each graphic novel introduces a brand new character to the Marvel mythos, though each one will also feature previously established characters, including popular superheroes and other agents depicted in comics past.

"We're hoping these new graphic novels not only introduce new readers to the organization S.H.I.E.L.D., but shed a new light on the group for our older readers as well," said Dan Slott, one of the top creative heads at Marvel, who's also overseeing the new series. "If the series is popular, expect to see some of these new characters featured in future comics and other Marvel properties as well."

Each graphic novel is penned by a different writer and drawn by a different artist, which Slott hopes will give each one its own distinct style, while also tying in with the personalities of the agents featured. And while each of them will have its own separate characters and story, they'll each be tied together as well, with story threads featuring throughout each work.

"While every novel in the Debriefed series can be enjoyed on its own, we're also including some small pieces of a larger story in each one, so hopefully readers decide to pick them all up after reading their first one."

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Debriefed #1 - Zane Harper will be released on April 23.

-from an article on CBR.com

The launch of the Virtua is considered a major success in Japan, a success in North America, and so-so in Europe. Sales are largest in North America, with over a million total units moved in the first week, while Japanese sales, around 600,000 in the first week, significantly outpace expectations.

Really, 600,000 first week for a console in Japan at that time? Even if there was somehow enough stock, how likely launch numbers would go that high, especially if Japan's economy became stagnant like OTL?

Looking at the launches for the PS4, Wii U, and Switch, they've all had opening launches of around half that much. The generation before that, PS3 had 80+ thousand for its Japanese launch (though there were shortages) and the Wii had around 370,000.

It's still a far cry from the PS2 launch, where they were close to 1 million and still suffered shortages.

Really, 600,000 first week for a console in Japan at that time? Even if there was somehow enough stock, how likely launch numbers would go that high, especially if Japan's economy became stagnant like OTL?

Looking at the launches for the PS4, Wii U, and Switch, they've all had opening launches of around half that much. The generation before that, PS3 had 80+ thousand for its Japanese launch (though there were shortages) and the Wii had around 370,000.

It's still a far cry from the PS2 launch, where they were close to 1 million and still suffered shortages.
Butterflies, in general term people learned that shortage are an issue and front load their production(i know the danger of stock but the flow allow, specially as those are very cutting edge, the margin to price cuts via hardware are slower, that is why almost have software bundleds), so they can keep that stock, specially as a product as expected as Virtua.

Ultra did reached PS2 target and shortages were an issue..a big one

Oh, I'm not disagreeing that if there isn't shortages launch sales have the potential to go higher.

I'm questioning the idea there would that much demand to begin with, considering cultural trends and the economy. There would have to be a lot of butterflies in order for consoles to still demand those kind of launch numbers.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing that if there isn't shortages launch sales have the potential to go higher.

I'm questioning the idea there would that much demand to begin with, considering cultural trends and the economy. There would have to be a lot of butterflies in order for consoles to still demand those kind of launch numbers.
We are looking at over 20 years of video game console induced butterflies.

Intsys: HEY YOU GO AND MAKE YOUR OWN STRATEGY SERIES *Points over to the cyrotube that Tactics Ogre has been in since Princes Of The Universe.*

We may be seeing a new Ogre game at some point, though Enix has been struggling somewhat and may want to stick with the franchises they know are going to be successful.

I can give some more TTTE stuff soon if you like.

Sure, feel free to give us more Thomas stuff any time you wish.

Thanks for reading! We're in the home stretch now! (Sort of, still eight more years to go XD)

The iTwin did VERY well in Japan. It had a lot of Japanese exclusive titles as well, including a number of Sega legacy titles that never came to the States but sold several hundred thousand units at least in Japan. Also, Steve Jobs and Apple in general are extremely popular there, and there was a huge Japanese marketing campaign for the Virtua. Combine all those factors together and you have the potential for an enormous launch. The launch far exceeded expectations, BTW, Apple celebrated the news quite exuberantly.

RySenkari said:
On tonight's broadcast, a nightmare in one of the most luxurious hotels in the world, as Caesars Palace in Las Vegas experiences a horrific fire that tore through much of the building's shops and restaurants. Dozens are dead, including world famous Michelin starred chef Gordon Ramsay...nd now we have late breaking news that Gordon Ramsay, world famous chef known for his bombastic demeanor in the kitchen and for shows such as Hell's Kitchen and The F Word, has died, apparently having been killed in a flashover after helping some of his employees escape the rapidly growing blaze.

If it's any comfort I can say that at least Gordon died a hero ITTL.

Scooby-Doo vs Doraemon: Nobita and Scooby Doo and the Curse of Wan-Nyan Spacetime Monster
Distributed by Toho and Warner Bros. Pictures
Production company
  • Shin-Ei Animation
  • Warner Bros. Animation
  • Shogakukan
  • Hanna-Barbera
  • TV Asahi
  • Asatsu DK
  • Fujiko Production
Cast
Frank Welker as Scooby Doo and Fred Jones
Matthew Lillard as Shaggy Rogers
Mary Kay Bergman as Daphne Blake
Courtney Ford as Velma Dinkley
Nobuyo Oyama as Doraemon
Noriko Ohara as Nobita Nobi
Michiko Nomura as Shizuka Minamoto
Kazuya Tatekabe as Takeshi "Gian" Goda
Kaneta Kimotsuki as Suneo Honekawa
Megumi Hayashibara as Hachi
Chisa Yokoyama as Chiko
Tomokazu Seki as Duk
Hisao Egawa as Bulltaro
Mika Kanai as Shami
Ryusei Nakao as Nekojara
Toshio Furukawa as Nyago
Toru Ohira as President of Cats and Dogs
Yuko Mizutani as Zubu
Kimberly Brooks as Luna
Jennifer Hale as Thorn
Jane Wiedlin as Dusk

Don't post anything like a cast list or plot summary until you PM it to me and Nivek for approval, please ^_^;;;