There are two updates remaining.

The 2020 in review update will also deal heavily with the aftermath/ramifications of the Times Square/New Delhi attacks. The epilogue update will cover 2021 in gaming, will discuss the post-2021 future of gaming (mostly the 2020s), and will also be a sort of "where are they now" for many of the timeline's major players and figures.

What the actual fuck?

Even though the SNES-CD world has seemed more geopolitically stable than our own so far, I guess there's only so much you can do when the underlying causes of IRL terrorism are still present, after all.

Cooper: We're being told that Geiger counters are going off all across Times Square and now... now even outside Times Square, blocks from the explosion, so speculation is that this bomb and quite possibly the other one in India, they were what counterterrorism experts and others refer to as "dirty bombs", that there may have been some nuclear material in these explosive devices, and... and if that's the case... *looks a bit worried* We've actually got a Geiger counter here in the studio, and we're picking up increased measurements right now, but compared to the measurements down on Times Square, they're quite low.
What were the Geiger readings? And what places other than those were hit?

Some readings about dirty bombs indicate that the biggest danger of dirty bombs is still usually just the initial blast, unless these TTL bombs contain far more radioactive material than usual.

Still, what the heck?!

The 2020 in review update will also deal heavily with the aftermath/ramifications of the Times Square/New Delhi attacks. The epilogue update will cover 2021 in gaming, will discuss the post-2021 future of gaming (mostly the 2020s), and will also be a sort of "where are they now" for many of the timeline's major players and figures.
So, Wednesday and Friday?

What the actual fuck?

Even though the SNES-CD world has seemed more geopolitically stable than our own so far, I guess there's only so much you can do when the underlying causes of IRL terrorism are still present, after all.
You could argue terrorist is a world constant since 1850 maybe earlier or later

Anderson Cooper: And in addition to this apparent horrible bomb attack on Times Square, there has been a large explosion, reportedly a truck bomb, in New Delhi, the capital of India. And we're already hearing of eye witnesses reporting the same strange... pins and needles feeling, that Ryan, you and I felt moments after the explosion before they rushed us to this shelter we're now reporting from.

Ryan Seacrest: This is, um, this is a nightmare, Anderson.

Cooper: We're being told that Geiger counters are going off all across Times Square and now... now even outside Times Square, blocks from the explosion, so speculation is that this bomb and quite possibly the other one in India, they were what counterterrorism experts and others refer to as "dirty bombs", that there may have been some nuclear material in these explosive devices, and... and if that's the case... *looks a bit worried* We've actually got a Geiger counter here in the studio, and we're picking up increased measurements right now, but compared to the measurements down on Times Square, they're quite low.

Seacrest: They're actually testing people who were nearby us, Anderson, and really, I don't feel anything other than.... well, all those people we saw caught in that blast down there... it's terrible. I don't feel sick from the radiation, but I absolutely do feel sick from that.

Cooper: They're telling us that everyone up here is likely fine, but I don't want to imagine what's going on down there with all those people who were close to the blast... there are usually a million people or more gathered at Times Square for the New Years celebration, and now we're getting word that there may have been tramplings and crowd crushes down there as well. I don't have any word on the death toll, but I can speculate that it's going to be massive and I just hope that the radiation isn't as severe as what some sources are telling me from down there.

Seacrest: God help all those people.

Cooper: Um, I'm getting more news about the explosion in New Delhi, so I want to quickly go to our correspondent in India because I'm hearing that that was a much larger explosion, and certainly...

-from ABC's live coverage of the 2021 New Year celebrations, which then became ongoing coverage of the 2021 New Year's Day terrorist attack, at 12:08 AM on January 1, 2021
Jesus fucking christ, Ry.

The mobile gaming scene being more honest is great, but it surprises me that Sony has not once convinced Nintendo to delve into the mobile market.

Speaking of which, it appears that Flare has not aged well almost instantly. But the new Jeopardy host sounds already better than what we're getting IOTL.

Of course, let me essentially repeat everyone's words, because I have none of my own to share about this ending.

In short: What. The. Hell?

Sonic defies this by tapping into the power of the Rings of Order and the Rings of Chaos, becoming Super Sonic ABSOLUTE and battling Solaris and Chaos in a spectacular final boss battle.
Is Super Sonic Absolute the same as normal Super Sonic or a new super form for Sonic?

I might have a guest post on some alternate-Hearts of Iron IV mods in this universe if thats' ok with you all.

Last edited:
What the actual fuck?

Remember, we did do a lot of foreshadowing concerning Pakistan, and that there's been a much more unstable political situation in the country. Benazir Bhutto tried to deal with it when she was leader, but her leadership caused a lot of resentment among extremists, and that resentment continued to simmer under the current, more fundamentalist leadership (with some of those extremists even taking high positions in the government). We'll discuss the causes of the attack a lot more in the next update.

What were the Geiger readings? And what places other than those were hit?

Some readings about dirty bombs indicate that the biggest danger of dirty bombs is still usually just the initial blast, unless these TTL bombs contain far more radioactive material than usual.

Just Times Square and the one truck bombing in New Delhi, that was all the material the perpetrators were able to get. Remember, in Times Square there were a lot of people very closely packed in, so it doesn't take much for a lot of people to get irradiated. Anderson Cooper and Ryan Seacrest (along with everyone up in the buildings surrounding the square) wouldn't be in much danger, and most of the people in Times Square itself would be fine, but anyone close enough to the explosion would've been at risk of a dangerous dose.

The mobile gaming scene being more honest is great, but it surprises me that Sony has not once convinced Nintendo to delve into the mobile market.

Sony tried, but with no Wii U flop ITTL, there wasn't as much incentive for Nintendo to dip their toes into mobile.

Speaking of which, it appears that Flare has not aged well almost instantly. But the new Jeopardy host sounds already better than what we're getting IOTL.

Nah, Flare helps people escape by making them feel powerful. The calamity in that game was caused by a natural disaster, not a manmade one, so Flare actually does better in the aftermath of the bombing (as does Call Of Duty: Nightfall IV). It's Fallout 4 that suffers somewhat, though it will eventually bounce back.

Is Super Sonic Absolute the same as normal Super Sonic or a new super form for Sonic?

A new super form, a really cool and badass one.

I might have a guest post on some alternate-Hearts of Iron IV mods in this universe if thats' ok with you all.

Sure, but DM them to us first. Anything like a game update at this point might be a bit anticlimactic with only two massive updates left though, just a heads up.

I was hoping that today's update would be a bit more in the game deparment because it was the last normal update. I would have expect more then 2 major games to come out in decemeber because early December is a major video game release peroid be the christmas shopping maddnes is still in full swing. Rysenkia I hope you will consider adding a few games to decemtber other signfangant game section but If don't I will understand. I know the chance that we eddit today post so the last full detailed year ends on a meaty note On the off chance I am wrong u decide to evenally feel free to use those ideas i sent you earlier this year like the Unchosen one Pyramids of 2 Killer Apps or Spaced out 2 .

In the crowd, a man stood ready, saying prayers of gratitude for his good luck, and to steel himself for his final task.

"3! 2! 1!"

And as millions prepared to scream "Happy New Year!", they were suddenly given a different reason to scream, as a tremendous explosion went off amongst them.

As "Auld Land Syne" began to play its pre-recorded tune over large speakers flanking the square, thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of people screamed and panicked as chaos began to overtake the jubilation of before. Smoke rose high over the square, and in the air hung a terrible scourge. Those survivors closest to the blast, whose ears were ringing but who had survived, now felt an uncomfortable tingling sensation all over their bodies. Some could taste metal in their mouths. The smoke continued to drift over the square as hundreds, thousands of first responders rushed to the sight of the blast.

Hundreds had already been killed.

In the coming hours and days, the invisible scourge would kill many more.

One era had just ended.

Another had just begun.

-

We're being told that Geiger counters are going off all across Times Square and now... now even outside Times Square, blocks from the explosion, so speculation is that this bomb and quite possibly the other one in India, they were what counterterrorism experts and others refer to as "dirty bombs", that there may have been some nuclear material in these explosive devices
Well fuck...
Remember, we did do a lot of foreshadowing concerning Pakistan
Yeah you did...and I remember thinking at the time that it seemed ominous, but then nothing much really came of it...
I guess it figured it blew over...
McLoughlin: "Wrong. As. Usual."

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
The death of Alex Trebek last Monday sent shockwaves through the entertainment world, even though it had been expected for some time since the host announced his cancer diagnosis two years ago.
A shame we still lose him ITTL, even if he got another month or so to stick around. ITTL last year of all the famous folks, this one hit me the hardest, partly due to how long he's been a part of American and Canadian life on our television screens, partly due to my live of knowledge and appreciation of trivia. Also nice to see that the post-Trebek hosting era won't be as... shall I say messy.

Death comes for us all eventually. We mainly wish it to be later rather than sooner that we can give more to the world and to our friends and loved ones before our time comes. It's just something that isn't easily realized until it's pertinent to our own lives.

On a brighter note, still nice to see Buzzy Cohen win some games ITTL!
As "Auld Land Syne" began to play its pre-recorded tune over large speakers flanking the square, thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of people screamed and panicked as chaos began to overtake the jubilation of before. Smoke rose high over the square, and in the air hung a terrible scourge. Those survivors closest to the blast, whose ears were ringing but who had survived, now felt an uncomfortable tingling sensation all over their bodies. Some could taste metal in their mouths. The smoke continued to drift over the square as hundreds, thousands of first responders rushed to the sight of the blast.

Hundreds had already been killed.

In the coming hours and days, the invisible scourge would kill many more.

One era had just ended.

Another had just begun.
The 1990s as a cultural phenomenon well and truly ended after the attacks on 9/11.
In our world, COVID-19 had the same effect for the 2010s.
In this one, for the USA and most certainly for India it would be the New Year's Day bombings.

The musical dissonance is almost perfect. Days of Auld Lang Syne, while not forgotten and may almost be brought up in nostalgia, are certainly behind everyone now. No doubt that many folks feel that all this is a very bad omen for things to come.

Quite a climactic way to begin closing out the timeline, if I do say so myself.

Last edited:

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
I suspect North Korea is behind the bombings.
With all due respect, I beg to differ.
Remember, we did do a lot of foreshadowing concerning Pakistan, and that there's been a much more unstable political situation in the country.

For those who'd like a quick refresher, it should also be noted that from what can be seen now, unless contradicted later it's not the Pakistani Government itself, but as written, things have been pretty messy over there the past fifteen years or so and counting, between the 20th of November attacks in Islamabad back in 2006 and as Ry mentioned, political butterflies like Benazir Bhutto not getting assassinated in 2007 and so on. Speaking of...

RySenkari back in the Massively Multiplayer thread said:
And I saw that [RyderWest] went ahead and stated that as of 2017 ITTL, the attack remains the second deadliest terror attack in history, which is fine. There's not going to be a deadlier one than this between 2007 and [2017], probably nothing even close.
This obviously left such an eventuality to occur post-2018 wide open.

If anything, last I checked North Korea is slightly more mellow externally than OTL even if that's not saying much; the lack of George W. Bush lumping them in with an "Axis of Evil" back in the early 2000s helps somewhat.

Last edited:

Ok when did an mass murder by Kensaka Haku escalate into dirty bombing?