Baseball in the Pythagorean Universe: 1981

Now let's look at August 6 in the National League West:

Padres 10, Astros 4

The Friars clinched fifth place in the West by blowing out the Stros. They pounded rookie pitcher Billy Smith and racked up ten runs on sixteen hits. Ruppert Jones drove in two, and Ozzie Smith and Joe Lefebvre each had three hits. Terry Kennedy scored three times. Eric Show went eight strong innings in his first big league start and also picked up an RBI. Kiko Garcia and Luis Pujols had two hits apiece for the Stros.

W- Show (2-3)
L. B. Smith (3-2)

Dodgers 7, Braves 3

The Dodgers closed out their year in style, scoring four in the fourth to overcome an early 3-0 deficit and three in the eighth to put the game away. Shortstop Bill Russell went two for three and drove in two, and starting pitcher Jerry Reuss was a perfect two for two at the plate with a run batted in. But the big blow was Rick Monday's pinch-hit homer in the eighth that scored the runs for that inning. Brian Asselstine was two for four and drove in two runs for the Braves. Chris Chambliss had the other RBI.

W- Reuss (16-8)
L- Dayley (1-1)

HR- LA: Monday (16)

Reds 3, Giants 2 (Game 1)

The NL West champs got two hits and two RBIs from second baseman Ron Oester to capture the first half of this final twin bill. First baseman Johnny Bench drove in the other Reds run and went two for four. The Giants wasted three-hit performances from catcher Milt May and center fielder Billy North. May drove in a run, as did left fielder Larry Herndon. Rookie Scott Brown got the final two outs in the ninth to earn his first major league save.

W- Moskau (6-2)
S- Brown (1)
L- Blue (9-9)

Reds 9, Giants 4 (Game 2)

The Reds came from behind with nine runs in the final two innings to sweep the Giants. Six of the runs were scored in the ninth off of Al Holland, who gives up those six runs and six hits in an inning and two-thirds. The Cincy offense was multifaceted, with four different Reds driving in two runs and five different Reds getting two hits apiece. Jeffrey Leonard had a pinch-hit dinger for the home club.

W- Price (10-2)
L- Minton (4-7)

HR- SF: Leonard (8)

Here are the final National League West standings:

Dodgers: 96-66 (clinched)
Astros: 93-69- 3 GB
Reds: 88-74- 8 GB
Giants: 82-80- 14 GB
Padres: 75-87- 21 GB
Braves: 73-88- 22.5 GB

Next: We turn to the American League, starting with the rest of the action from August 4.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm starting our look at the remainder of the American League with Tuesday, August 4 because all fourteen teams are in action. On that note, here's Desmond:

Seattle 2, Minnesota 0
WP - Ken Clay (6-12)
LP - Fernando Arroyo (9-20)

Summary: Both Mariners runs came in the fourth inning. With the win, the Mariners take over fifth place in the West by half a game.

Milwaukee 8, Chicago 3
WP - Jim Slaton (13-9)
LP - Steve Trout (9-11)
HR - MIL: Robin Yount (22)

Summary: Yount's blast nearly cleared the scoreboard in left field.

Cleveland 4, Texas 3 (11 innings)
WP - Sid Monge (7-6)
SV- Mike Stanton (3)
LP - Steve Comer (14-5)
HR - CLE: Andre Thornton (23)

Summary: Andre Thornton's homer in the top of the eleventh won it for the Tribe, as Mike Stanton slammed the door on the Rangers in the bottom of the inning.

Toronto 6, NY Yankees 3
WP - Mike Willis (4-9)
LP - Rick Reuschel (5-6)
HR- TOR: George Bell (20), Lloyd Moseby (19)

Summary: The Jays used the home run ball to defeat the AL East champion Yanks.

Boston 5, Baltimore 3
WP - Frank Tanana (9-18)
SV- Mark Clear (10)
LP - Scott McGregor (20-12)
HR - BOS: Dwight Evans (44)
BAL: Eddie Murray (30)

Summary: The Orioles blew a 3-0 lead, then left the bases loaded at the end of the contest. The Bosox' win keeps them tied with the Brewers for second place in the East.

Kansas City 7, Detroit 5
WP - Mike Jones (8-6)
LP - Dave Rozema (9-7)
SV - Dan Quisenberry (25)
HR - DET: Steve Kemp (21), Tom Brookens (13)
KC: Frank White (20)

Summary: The Royals scored four times in the seventh, with three of the runs unearned after a rare throwing error by Alan Trammell. Quisenberry then followed with a two-inning save. The Royals now lead the White Sox by two games for fourth place in the West.

Oakland 10, California 5
WP - Brian Kingman (8-9)
LP - Mike Witt (16-12)
HR - OAK: Rickey Henderson (14), Tony Armas (31), Rob Picciolo (14)

Summary: Henderson had another leadoff home run, and the A's raced to a 9-0 lead against Angels starter Mike Witt after three innings. Witt departed after three and a third.

The A's have officially clinched second place in the West with the victory, while the Angels' lead over the Royals for third is down to just half a game.

Your American League East standings to the moment:

Yankees 94-66 (clinched)
(tie) Red Sox: 91-69- 3 GB
(tie) Brewers: 91-69- 3 GB
Tigers: 87-72- 6.5 GB
Orioles: 84-75- 9.5 GB
Indians: 77-82- 16.5 GB
Blue Jays: 58-102- 36 GB

In the West:

Rangers: 91-68 (clinched)
Athletics: 86-72- 4.5 GB
Angels: 81-78- 10 GB
Royals: 80-78- 10.5 GB
White Sox: 79-81- 12.5 GB
Mariners: 58-99- 32 GB
Twins: 58-100- 32.5 GB

Next: We look at August 5.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here's Joe Ray with the American League Report for Wednesday, August 5:

Angels 6, Oakland 1
W: Ken Forsch (16-11)
L: Rick Langford (13-14)

Summary: Don Baylor drove in three runs for the Angels, while Forsch allowed just one run in eight innings.

Detroit 10, Kansas City 1
W: Dave Rozema (10-7)
L: Renie Martin (4-11)

Summary: The Tigers scored four in the seventh and four more in the ninth to bury the Royals. Kirk Gibson drove in four runs for Detroit, while Alan Trammell drove in three. Paul Splittorff allowed the four ninth-inning runs in a rare relief appearance for the Royals.

Texas 2, Cleveland 0
W: Fergie Jenkins (10-9)
S: Jim Kern (8)
L: Rick Waits (13-18)

Fergie Jenkins was masterful on the mound, giving up just seven hits in eight and two-thirds innings. The Rangers scratched out their runs in the second and fifth.

White Sox 6, Milwaukee 1
W: Dennis Lamp (11-13)
L: Randy Lerch (12-8)
HR- CWS: Jim Morrison (13)

Summary: Morrison drove in four runs for the Pale Hose. He hit a two-run homer in the second, an RBI single in the fifth, and a sacrifice fly in the seventh.

Yankees 4, Toronto 2
W: Ron Davis (11-9)
S: Goose Gossage (26)
L: Dave Stieb (12-17)
HR- NYY: Jerry Mumphrey (11)
TOR: John Mayberry (22)

Summary: Mumphrey's homer in the last of the eighth gave the Yankees the lead for good. Graig Nettles led the New York offense with three hits.

Seattle 5, Minnesota 4
W: Shane Rawley (8-10)
L: Doug Corbett (2-7)
HR- MIN: Rob Wilfong (4)
SEA: Paul Serna (6)

Summary: Tom Paciorek had the game-winning RBI for Seattle. The Mariners now lead the Twins by a game and a half for fifth place in the West.

Baltimore 5, Boston 4
W: Jim Palmer (16-11)
S: Tim Stoddard (9)
L: Mike Torrez (19-6)
HR- BAL: Eddie Murray (31), Rick Dempsey (15)
BOS: Rick Miller (9), Tony Perez (15)

Eddie Murray's two-run homer in the fifth tied the game, and Rick Dempsey's solo shot gave the Birds the lead for good. Jim Palmer could only pitch six innings due to shoulder stiffness, but that was enough for the win.

Since the Brewers lost as well, the Red Sox enter the final day of their season still tied with Milwaukee for second place in the East.

Here are the standings in the East to the moment:

Yankees: 95-66 (clinched)
(tie) Red Sox: 91-70- 4 GB
(tie) Brewers: 91-70- 4 GB
Tigers: 88-72- 6.5 GB
Orioles: 85-75- 9.5 GB
Indians: 77-83- 17.5 GB
Blue Jays: 58-103- 37 GB

In the West:

Rangers: 92-68 (clinched)
Athletics: 86-73- 5.5 GB
Angels: 82-78- 10 GB
Royals: 80-79- 11.5 GB
White Sox: 80-81- 12.5 GB
Mariners: 59-99- 32 GB
Twins: 58-101- 33.5 GB

Next: We look at August 6.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've decided to go back and do the other games from August 2 and 3 before finishing things up. Here's Desmond with the other American League games from Sunday, August 2:

Baltimore 2, Kansas City 1 (11 innings)
WP - Sammy Stewart (8-11)
LP - Ken Brett (1-4)

Summary: Rick Dempsey's RBI single in the eleventh inning won it for the Orioles. The Royals' lead over the White Sox for fourth place in the West is down to half a game.

Oakland 6, Seattle 2
WP - Steve McCatty (21-13)
LP - Floyd Bannister (10-18)
HR - OAK: Rickey Henderson (15), Tony Armas (32)

Summary: The A's handed the Mariners their hundredth loss of the season. Henderson's dinger, of course, led off the game.

California 8, Minnesota 2
WP - Mike Witt (17-12)
LP - Al Williams !12-19)
HR- CAL: Don Baylor (22). Dan Ford (18)
MIN: John Castino (14)

Summary: The Angels jumped out to a 5-0 lead after one inning of play and coasted from there. Williams had to leave the game due to a bad back.

With this win, the Angels have clinched third place in the West.

Here are your American League West standings to the moment:

Rangers: 92-68 (clinched)
Athletics: 87-73- 5 GB
Angels: 83-78- 10 GB
Royals: 80-80- 12 GB
White Sox: 80-81- 12.5 GB
Mariners: 59-100- 32.5 GB
Twins: 58-102- 34 GB

In the East:

Yankees: 95-66 (clinched)
(tie) Red Sox: 91-70- 4 GB
(tie) Brewers: 91-70- 4 GB
Tigers: 88-72- 6.5 GB
Orioles: 86-75- 9 GB
Indians: 77-83- 17.5 GB
Blue Jays: 58-103- 37 GB

Next: We look at the rest of the action from August 3.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
This is the second of my three separate threads meant to discuss baseball's major strike years. This time, we're out to wipe the split season from the record books and see what would have happened if 1981 had been played out in the Pythagorean universe.
I always see these threads, and I'm curious what you mean by 'Pythagorean Universe'. Is there some difference in math or scoring?

The Pythagorean universe is based on a formula that stems from the number of runs (or, in football and basketball, points) that a team scores or has scored against it without regard to things like injuries, weather, home field/court, and the like. The math behind it eludes me, but I like the idea of seeing what would happen with different matchups than the ones that happened in real life.

Thanks for your interest, and stay tuned for more!

I've decided to do August 6 while I have some extra time. Here's Joe Ray:

Minnesota 4, Seattle 2
W: Roger Erickson (5-10)
S: Doug Corbett (21)
L: Mike Parrott (4-11)

Erickson got the win for the Twinkies with seven strong innings on the hill, and John Castino knocked in a pair of runs. With one day left in the season, the Twins are back within half a game of the Mariners for sixth place in the West.

Cleveland 6, Texas 1
W: Bert Blyleven (19-9)
L: Jon Matlack (5-11)

The AL West champion Rangers committed three errors. Blyleven got the complete game victory for Cleveland, and second baseman Jerry Dybzinski knocked in a pair of runs.

Oakland 2, California 1 (10 innings)
W: Mike Norris (20-12)
L: Andy Hassler (4-7)

Wayne Gross came home with the eventual winning run when an errant throw pulled Rod Carew off the first base bag in the top of the tenth. Norris went all the way to get his twentieth win of the season.

Baltimore 10, Boston 1
W: Mike Flanagan (15-9)
L: Steve Crawford (0-6)
HR- BAL: Rich Dauer (6)

The Orioles romped their way to a huge win. Ken Singleton led the offense with three RBIs, and Rich Dauer's homer in the fourth started the Red Sox' snowball rolling downhill. Flanagan gave up just six hits in eight superb innings on the hill.

The Red Sox now have to hope that the Brewers lose to the White Sox in order to finish tied with them for second in the East.

Yankees 10, Toronto 1
W: Ron Guidry (22-9)
L: Jim Clancy (10-20)
HR- NYY: Rick Cerone (5), Graig Nettles (20)

The AL East champion Yankees ended their regular season in style. Dave Winfield stroked two doubles and drove in five runs, and Ron Guidry went the distance, allowing just four hits and striking out eleven. Buck Martinez's ninth-inning RBI single broke up his shutout bid.

White Sox 7, Milwaukee 6
W: Ed Farmer (5-7)
L: Rollie Fingers (6-5)
HR- MIL: Robin Yount (23)
CWS: Wayne Nordhagen (11)

The Brewers blew three different leads. and they'll have to settle for a second-place tie with the Red Sox in the East. Yount's two-run homer put them up 6-4 after eight and a half, but Greg Luzinski knocked in Harold Baines to cut the lead to one, and after Nordhagen and Rusty Kuntz got base hits, Ron LeFlore singled to score them both and win the game for Chicago. One pitch before, Rollie Fingers was sure that he'd struck LeFlore out, and television replays from the Brewers' telecast showed that he was right.

The Sox committed five errors on the night.

Detroit 3, Kansas City 2
W: Jack Morris (20-10)
S: Kevin Saucier (18)
L: Dennis Leonard (21-15)
HR- KC: Amos Otis (14)
DET: Kirk Gibson (16)

Kirk Gibson homered and scored all three Detroit runs, and Jack Morris scattered eight hits in eight and two-thirds innings to get his twentieth win of the year. Kevin Saucier struck out Willie Wilson with two on in the bottom of the ninth to close things out. Dennis Leonard went all the way in a losing cause for the Royals.

This loss combined with the White Sox' earlier victory drops the Royals into fifth place in the West with one game remaining. The best finish they can hope for is a tie for fourth.

Here are your American League East standings to the moment:

Yankees: 96-66 (clinched)
(tie) Red Sox: 91-71- 5 GB
(tie) Brewers: 91-71- 5 GB
Tigers: 89-72- 6.5 GB
Orioles: 87-75- 9 GB
Indians: 78-83- 17.5 GB
Blue Jays: 58-104- 38 GB

In the West:

Rangers: 92-69 (clinched)
Athletics: 88-73- 4.5 GB
Angels: 83-79- 9.5 GB
White Sox: 81-81- 11.5 GB
Royals: 80-81- 12 GB
Mariners: 59-101- 32.5 GB
Twins: 59-102- 33 GB

Next: We look at the final three games of the American League season from August 3.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now here's Desmond with the rest of the American League action for Monday, August 3:

Kansas City 6, Detroit 3
WP- Rich Gale (9-9)
LP- Dan Petry (17-15)
HR- KC: George Brett (34), Willie Aikens (28)

Summary: Brett's homer broke a 3-3 tie in the seventh inning. The Royals thus finish in a fourth-place tie with the White Sox in the West.

Texas 4, Cleveland 0
WP- Doc Medich (12-11)
LP- Len Barker (12-15)
HR- TEX: Pat Putnam (18)

Summary: Medich threw a five-hit shutout and struck out ten.

Minnesota 11, Seattle 7
WP- Al Williams (13-19)
LP- Floyd Bannister (10-19)
HR- MIN: John Castino (15), Kent Hrbek (4), Roy Smalley (12)
SEA: Bruce Bochte (15), Tom Paciorek (26)

Summary: Both teams used their pitching staffs with abandon. The Twins' win means that they finish sixth in the West, relegating the Mariners to the basement.

Your final standings in the American League East:

Yankees: 96-66 (clinched)
(tie) Red Sox: 91-71- 5 GB
(tie) Brewers: 91-71- 5 GB
Tigers: 89-73- 7 GB
Orioles: 87-75- 9 GB
Indians: 78-84- 18 GB
Blue Jays: 58-104- 38 GB

In the West:

Rangers: 93-69 (clinched)
Athletics: 88-74- 5 GB
Angels: 83-79- 10 GB
(tie) White Sox: 81-81- 12 GB
(tie) Royals: 81-81- 12 GB
Twins: 60-102- 33 GB
Mariners: 59-103- 34 GB

That's it once and for all, folks. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I'm briefly reopening this thread to say that I've corrected the standings as best I could. The National League has a bunch of ties that may or may not have been made up somewhere or other, and I know for a fact that the Expos have played one game too many, but I've checked multiple times and can't find any more mistakes than the ones I already have. If anyone else cares to check the standings and point out my errors so I can fix them, they're more than welcome to do so. The American League is all right.

I'm reopening this thread one last time.

I've decided to "make up" the games that the Cubs and Mets in particular have missing from their schedule. I use "make up" in quotes because as far as I know, the matchups are coming totally out of my own head. Some of them may actually be replayed ties, but I don't know that for sure.

We begin at Wrigley Field, where the Cubs are hosting the Braves:

Cubs 5, Braves 1

The Cubbies broke this one open with a three-run fifth, led by Steve Henderson's home run. Jody Davis went three for four and drove in three runs with singles in the first, third and fifth. Steve Dillard's fifth-inning sacrifice fly provided the other Chicago run. Claudell Washington drove in the only Atlanta run with an RBI single in the sixth. Starting pitcher Mike Krukow gave up only one run on five hits in seven and two-thirds innings, and Dick Tridrow got the last four outs to earn the save. The Braves loaded the bases in the eighth, but Tidrow got Bruce Benedict to ground to Bill Buckner at first to end the inning.

W- Krukow (14-13)
S- Tidrow (13)
L- Boggs (5-19)

HR- CHC: Henderson (6)

Next, we follow the Cubs to Shea Stadium, where they'll battle the Mets:

Mets 11, Cubs 7

The Cubs ended their season in disgrace, as they blew a 7-1 lead after three and a half.. Ken Reitz's double in the third cleared the bases and put the visitors up 5-1, and Buckner's two-run homer in the top of the fourth chased Mets starter Pat Zachry and extended the lead to 7-1. But the Mets tied the game with a six-run bottom of the fourth, which featured a pair of bases-loaded walks and a three-run homer by Frankie Taveras. Hubie Brooks doubled in Mookie Wilson to give the Mets an 8-7 lead after five, and the Mets added a run in the sixth and two in the seventh to put the game away. Brooks and John Stearns each had three hits for the Mets, and Stearns drove in a pair of runs. Terry Leach shut out the Cubs over the final five and a third innings to get the win.

W- Leach (6-1)
L- Kravec (9-13)

HR- CHC: Buckner (14)
NYM: Taveras (1)

Finally, we head to Three Rivers Stadium, where the Mets are taking on the Bucs:

Pirates 8, Mets 4

Before a crowd of less than 5,000 at Three Rivers, the Bucs scored six times in the third, then held off the visiting Mets. The key blow in that inning was Dave Parker's grand slam over the left field wall, which out the Buccos up 6-0. Parker ended up with five RBIs on the day, while Bill Madlock went three for four, drove in another run, and scored twice. Mike Easler and Tony Pena drove in the other Pittsburgh runs, while Brooks and Lee Mazzilli homered for the Mets. Joel Youngblood had four of New York's nine hits in a losing cause. On the mound, Pirates starter Rick Rhoden walked five, but gave up just two runs on six hits in seven innings to earn the win. Mike Scott took the loss for the Mets after giving up six runs on just four hits in three innings.

W- Rhoden (12-7)
L- Scott (7-17)

HR- NYM: Mazzilli (10), Brooks (6)
PIT: Parker (15)

Your final National League East standings:

Cardinals: 101-61 (clinched)
Expos: 89-73- 12 GB
Phillies: 83-79- 18 GB
Pirates: 74-88- 27 GB
Cubs: 61-101- 40 GB
Mets: 59-103- 42 GB

In the West:

Dodgers: 96-66 (clinched)
Astros: 93-69- 3 GB
Reds: 88-74- 8 GB
Giants: 82-80- 14 GB
Padres: 75-87- 21 GB
Braves: 73-89- 23 GB

This is truly it, folks. Thanks again for reading!

Last edited:
My friend Doug (known here as DTF955Baseballfan) once told me that he wanted to see the halves of this season played to a logical conclusion, I've been thinking about it, and it seems like a swell idea. What I'm going to do is cut the Pythagorean difference for each team in half, figure out the standings, then use the results already documented in this thread to figure out the champions for each half. If additional postseason series are needed, I'll sim those as well.

Let's begin in the National League East:

Phillies: 32-23 (-2)
(tie) Cardinals: 28-22- 1.5 GB (-2)
(tie) Pirates: 27-21- 1.5 GB (+2)
Expos: 30-25- 2 GB (0)
Mets: 17-34- 13 GB (0)
Cubs: 16-36- 14.5 GB (+1)

Now for the West:

Dodgers: 38-19 (+2)
Reds: 30-26-7.5 GB (-5)
Astros: 30-27-8 GB (+2)
Giants: 28-31- 11 GB (+1)
(tie) Braves: 25-29- 11.5 GB (0)
(tie) Padres: 26-30- 11.5 GB (+3)

The first half will end at the beginning of the original All-Star break on July 12.

Here are the scores from June 12:

Giants 4, Cardinals 3
Astros 3, Mets 1
Reds 8, Expos 6
Padres 9, Cubs 6
Braves 5, Phillies 1
Dodgers 9, Pirates 2

Here are the updated standings in the East:

Phillies: 32-24
(tie) Cardinals: 28-23- 1.5 GB
(tie) Pirates: 27-22- 1.5 GB
Expos 30-26- 2 GB
Mets: 17-35- 13 GB
Cubs: 16-37- 14.5 GB

In the West:

Dodgers: 39-19
Reds: 31-26- 7.5 GB
Astros: 31-27- 8 GB
Giants: 29-31- 11 GB
(tie) Braves: 26-29- 11.5 GB
(tie) Padres: 27-30- 11,5 GB

Next: Scores and standings for June 13.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here are the National League scores for Saturday, June 13:

Cardinals 6, Giants 0
Expos 7, Reds 6 (10 innings)
Dodgers 11, Pirates 2
Cubs 11, Padres 5
Mets 9, Astros 3
Phillies 5, Braves 1

The standings in the East:

Phillies: 33-24
Cardinals: 29-23- 1.5 GB
Expos: 31-26- 2 GB
Pirates: 27-23- 2.5 GB
Mets: 18-35- 13 GB
Cubs: 17-37- 14.5 GB

In the West:

Dodgers: 40-19
Reds: 31-27- 8.5 GB
Astros: 31-28- 9 GB
Giants: 29-32- 12 GB
(tie) Braves: 26-30- 12.5 GB
(tie) Padres: 27-31- 12.5 GB

Next: The National League scores and standings for June 14.

Note: I'm doing one league at a time to make this easier to follow, just like I did with the sims. The American League will follow once both halves of the National League are completed.

Thoughts?

I found a few makeup games from the first half. There are a total of six; here are three of them.

West:

Dodgers 5, Braves 4 (12 innings)

East:

Expos 10, Pirates 1
Cardinals 6, Mets 1

The updated standings, beginning in the East:

Phillies: 33-24
Cardinals: 30-23- 1 GB
Expos: 32-26- 1.5 GB
Pirates: 27-24- 3 GB
Mets: 18-36- 13.5 GB
Cubs: 17-37- 14.5 GB

In the West:

Dodgers: 41-19
Reds: 31-27- 9 GB
Astros: 31-28- 9.5 GB
Giants: 29-32- 12.5 GB
Padres: 27-31- 13 GB
Braves: 26-31- 13.5 GB

Next: We continue with June 14.

Thoughts?

Here are the scores for Sunday, June 14:

Expos 5, Reds 4
Astros 8, Mets 3
Dodgers 4, Pirates 1
Braves 8, Phillies 7
Giants 15, Cardinals 2
Cubs 6, Padres 4

The updated standings in the East:

Phillies: 33-25
Expos: 33-26- .5 GB
Cardinals: 30-24- 1 GB
Pirates: 27-25- 3 GB
(tie) Mets: 18-37- 13.5 GB
(tie) Cubs: 18-37- 13.5 GB

In the West:

Dodgers: 42-19
Astros: 32-28- 9.5 GB
Reds: 31-28- 10 GB
Giants: 30-32- 12.5 GB
Braves: 27-31- 13.5 GB
Padres: 27-32- 14 GB

Next: At least one makeup game,

Thoughts?

Here are some makeup games:

Cubs 5, Braves 1
Pirates 8, Mets 4
Cardinals 12, Reds 6

Phillies: 33-25
(tie) Expos: 33-26- .5 GB
(tie) Cardinals: 31-24- .5 GB
Pirates: 28-25- 2.5 GB
Cubs: 19-37- 13 GB
Mets: 18-38- 14 GB

In the West:

Dodgers: 42-19 (Magic Number: 12)
Astros: 32-28- 9.5 GB
Reds: 31-29- 10.5 GB
Giants: 30-32- 12.5 GB
(tie) Braves: 27-32- 14 GB
(tie) Padres: 27-32- 14 GB

Next: The scores for Monday, June 15.

Thoughts?

Here are the scores for Monday, June 15;

Phillies 7, Reds 1
Astros 2, Expos 0
Mets 4. Braves 0
Dodgers 6. Cubs 3
Cardinals 5, Padres 2
Giants 3, Pirates 2

Here are the standings in the East to the moment:

Phillies: 34-25
Cardinals: 32-24- .5 GB
Expos: 33-27- 1.5 GB
Pirates: 28-26- 3,5 GB
(tie) Cubs: 19-38- 14 GB
(tie) Mets: 19-38- 14 GB

In the West:

Dodgers; 43-19 (Magic Number: 11)
Astros: 33-28- 9.5 GB
Reds: 31-30- 11.5 GB
Giants: 31-32- 12,5 GB
(tie) Braves: 27-33- 15 GB
(tie) Padres: 27-33- 15 GB

Next: Two more makeup games in the East.

Thoughts?

Here are the makeup games in the East:

Cardinals 8, Pirates 3
Mets 11, Cubs 7

(tie) Phillies: 34-25
(tie) Cardinals: 33-24
Expos: 33-27- 1.5 GB
Pirates: 28-27- 4 GB
Mets: 20-38- 13.5 GB
Cubs: 19-39- 14.5 GB

Note: Since the Phillies lead the season series with the Cardinals at this point, the one-game playoff for the first-half title in the East would take place at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia on Monday, July 13. First pitch for the game would be at 1PM Eastern to allow members of both teams to get to Cleveland in time for the following bight's All-Star Game. ABC would televise the game should it be necessary.

Next: The scores for June 16.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here are the scores for Tuesday, June 16:

Braves 5, Mets 3 (Game 1)
Mets 6, Braves 3 (Game 2)
Reds 14. Phillies 5
Astros 3, Expos 0
Dodgers 12, Cubs 3
Padres 5, Cardinals 4
Giants 7, Pirates 5

(tie) Phillies: 34-26
(tie) Cardinals: 33-25
Expos: 33-28- 1.5 GB
Pirates: 28-28- 4 GB
Mets: 21-39- 13 GB
Cubs: 19-40- 14.5 GB

In the West:

Dodgers: 44-19 (Magic Number: 10)
Astros: 34-28- 9.5 GB
Reds: 32-30- 11.5 GB
Giants: 32-32- 12.5 GB
Padres: 28-33- 15 GB
Braves: 28-34- 15.5 GB

Next: The last makeup game in the National League.

Thoughts?

Here's the final makeup game in the National League:

Expos 7, Cubs 0

(tie) Phillies: 34-26
(tie) Cardinals: 33-25
Expos: 34-28- 1 GB
Pirates: 28-28- 4 GB
Mets: 21-39- 13 GB
Cubs: 19-41- 15 GB

Next: The games of June 17.

Thoughts?

Here are the scores for June 17:

Reds 3, Mets 1
Phillies 2, Astros 1
Expos 8, Braves 1
Dodgers 3, Cardinals 2
Giants 12, Cubs 3
Pirates 6. Padres 2

Phillies: 35-26
(tie) Cardinals: 33-26- 1 GB
(tie) Expos: 35- 28- 1 GB
Pirates: 29-28- 4 GB
Mets: 21-40- 14 GB
Cubs: 19-42- 16 GB

In the West:

Dodgers: 45-19 (Magic Number: 8)
Astros: 34-29- 10.5 GB
Reds: 33-30- 11.5 GB
Giants: 33-32- 12,5 GB
Padres: 28-34- 16 GB
Braves: 28-35- 16.5 GB

Next: Scores and standings from June 18.

Thoughts?

Last edited: