Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the removal of the Smallwood Reservoir in the new basemap? I'd think that water bodies including the Caniapiscau Reservoir, Lac Bienville, the Clearwater Lakes, La Grande 4 Reservoir, La Grande 3 Reservoir, the Robert Bourassa Reservoir, the Richmond Gulf, the Opinaca Reservoir, Lac Mistassini, Lac Saint-Jean, Lake Nipissing, Lake Abitibi, Big Trout Lake, God's Lake, Southern Indian Lake, Lac La Ronge, Wollaston Lake, Lesser Slave Lake, Williston Lake (probably impossible), Colville Lake, Lac des Bois, Lac Aubry, Lac Belot, Lac Maunoir, Sitidgi Lake (really an overhaul of the Mackenzie delta), Lake Martin, Hottah Lake, Takiljuq Lake, Kasba Lake, Dubawnt Lake, Tulemalu Lake, Yathkyed Lake and Baker Lake should be added to the Canadian North, not removed.

Sure, the list may be slightly overzealous. However, Canada is a country where a large portion of it has stupidly large lakes turning it into a swiss cheese of land and lake. If you're trying to improve the map's geographic accuracy the removal of Canadian lakes is the opposite of what you should be doing. I know this exact problem has been brought up before for Finland, however Canada doesn't even remotely the problem of Finland's lake's shapes. Sure there are a lot of fiddly curvy lakes or really narrow lakes of enormous area that shouldn't be rendered in Canada or Finland, but the current amount should only be increased in Canada.

Why the removal of the Smallwood Reservoir in the new basemap? I'd think that water bodies including the Caniapiscau Reservoir, Lac Bienville, the Clearwater Lakes, La Grande 4 Reservoir, La Grande 3 Reservoir, the Robert Bourassa Reservoir, the Richmond Gulf, the Opinaca Reservoir, Lac Mistassini, Lac Saint-Jean, Lake Nipissing, Lake Abitibi, Big Trout Lake, God's Lake, Southern Indian Lake, Lac La Ronge, Wollaston Lake, Lesser Slave Lake, Williston Lake (probably impossible), Colville Lake, Lac des Bois, Lac Aubry, Lac Belot, Lac Maunoir, Sitidgi Lake (really an overhaul of the Mackenzie delta), Lake Martin, Hottah Lake, Takiljuq Lake, Kasba Lake, Dubawnt Lake, Tulemalu Lake, Yathkyed Lake and Baker Lake should be added to the Canadian North, not removed.

Sure, the list may be slightly overzealous. However, Canada is a country where a large portion of it has stupidly large lakes turning it into a swiss cheese of land and lake. If you're trying to improve the map's geographic accuracy the removal of Canadian lakes is the opposite of what you should be doing. I know this exact problem has been brought up before for Finland, however Canada doesn't even remotely the problem of Finland's lake's shapes. Sure there are a lot of fiddly curvy lakes or really narrow lakes of enormous area that shouldn't be rendered in Canada or Finland, but the current amount should only be increased in Canada.

Well there's a lot of reservoirs which weren't really a thing until the 20th century, so for a timeline before those were made it makes sense to drop them.

Well there's a lot of reservoirs which weren't really a thing until the 20th century, so for a timeline before those were made it makes sense to drop them.

If I'm reading AR right he suggests using the map as a new general basemap (a great idea, especially considering the improvements to places like the Pacific) and that he's going to remake maps of many times with it. Also, a large portion of the lakes I mentioned aren't reservoirs.

Ah sorry, I was using my fully updated 1885 map as a base rather than a modern one. Easiest way to consider that one is that it's the correct map for most of history, but I'll see if I can do an updated version of that a-chronological basemap changes map. I'll have a look at the rest of those lakes in a bit.

Right, I've made an attempt at those lakes, (also including a couple in Nunavut larger than the ones mentioned), save for:

-Richmond Gulf (just gets elided into the coast on this projection)
-Lake Abitibi (too twisty to get any water pixels)
-Williston Lake (definitely not possible)
-Lake Martin (unless you meant Lac le Marte by this)
-Taklijuq Lake (which isn't recognised by Google as even existing).

I'm not entirely happy with it, and the projection screws up a lot of things particularly in the Northwest territories (Sitidgi is impossible to show accurately), but it's an attempt at least and if anyone else wants to use this as a base and work from it they're welcome to. I'd like to get general thoughts about whether things haven't gone over the top as well.

I've also managed to find a map showing the old lakes under the Smallwood reservoir, of which one was large enough to show, and redrawn the reservoir itself as about half of it seemed to be missing. The bottom map is from the achronological version showing the reservoirs to be added in later.

Canada Comparison.png

Right, I've made an attempt at those lakes, (also including a couple in Nunavut larger than the ones mentioned), save for:

-Richmond Gulf (just gets elided into the coast on this projection)
-Lake Abitibi (too twisty to get any water pixels)
-Williston Lake (definitely not possible)
-Lake Martin (unless you meant Lac le Marte by this)
-Taklijuq Lake (which isn't recognised by Google as even existing).

I'm not entirely happy with it, and the projection screws up a lot of things particularly in the Northwest territories (Sitidgi is impossible to show accurately), but it's an attempt at least and if anyone else wants to use this as a base and work from it they're welcome to. I'd like to get general thoughts about whether things haven't gone over the top as well.

I've also managed to find a map showing the old lakes under the Smallwood reservoir, of which one was large enough to show, and redrawn the reservoir itself as about half of it seemed to be missing. The bottom map is from the achronological version showing the reservoirs to be added in later.

Sorry for the late reply. I checked these over and they all pretty much exceed any of my expectations on accuracy. I don't know for sure where I got those names but I blame bing maps for making things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.