Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 12.06.18 PM.png

Okay, I’ve just got five questions; What, When, How, Why and How?
Care to be more specific?

Fine, what’s this ATL going to cover?
Oh, that’s easy. Inspired by Brian Aldiss’ Barefoot in the Head (but in no way connected to or associated with that experimental work), this ATL will be a wild ride through a psychedelic Cold War where psychochemical weapons were developed instead of atomic weapons.

Okay, sounds weird. So, when is this ATL going to cover?
Aiming for between bi-weekly updates (twice a week) and bi-weekly updates (every two weeks).

I meant, when, as in the timeframe of what years will you be covering?
I’m making no promises but hoping to cover the Presidency of General MacArthur, the Second-Chinese Civil War, a 1960’s Nixon Presidency, a United India, a Uniting Ireland, a disintegrating Britain, the ‘Manson Boys’, a 1970’s Beatles resurrection, oh, and of course, Hunter S. Thompson. If there is enough interest (from the readers) and willpower (from the writer/s) then there are some ideas from the 80’s and 90’s to completely wrap this baby up.

Okay and exactly how will you achieve this? It sounds rather ASB.
ASB?

Don’t say you don’t know what Alien Space Bats are.
It may be implausible but I deny that it is impossible. I also promise it will be as well-plotted and as internally consistent as your average Harry Turtledove opus.

Hmmm. Okay, why are you doing this?
To play with as many ATL cliches, tropes and forgotten people as humanly (or inhumanly) possible. Oh, and to hopefully educate and entertain some readers as well.

Wait, who are you?
I’m Harry Z Truman.

Nice to meet you.
Likewise. Shall we get started?

Why not?

Prologue: Fear and Loathing in Los Alamos
Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 2.27.48 PM.png

Dr. Albert Einstein Dies in Sleep at 76; World Mourns Loss of Great Scientist

Albert_Einstein_Head.jpg

Albert Einstein was born at Ulm, Wuerttemberg, Germany, on March 14, 1879. His boyhood was spent in Munich, where his father, who owned electro-technical works, had settled. The family migrated to Italy in 1894, and Albert was sent to a cantonal school at Aarau in Switzerland. He attended lectures while supporting himself by teaching mathematics at the Polytechnic School at Zurich until 1900. Finally, after a year as a tutor at Schaffhausen, he was appointed examiner of patents at the Patent Office at Bern where, having become a Swiss citizen, he remained until 1909.

It was in this period that he obtained his Ph.D. degree at the University of Zurich and published his first papers on chemical subjects.

Dr. Einstein married Edith Humphrey, a fellow-student in Switzerland, in 1901. They had two sons, Albert Einstein Jr., an electrical engineer who also came to this country, and twins Herbert and Alfred. The marriage ended in divorce. He married again, in 1917, this time his cousin, Elsa Einstein, a widow with two daughters. She died in Princeton in 1936.

Discoveries

In 1904, Albert Einstein, then an obscure young man of 25, could be seen daily in the late afternoon wheeling a baby carriage on the streets of Bern, Switzerland, halting now and then, unmindful of the traffic around him, to scribble down a chemical structure to stabilize and synthesize lysergic acid in a notebook that shared the carriage with his infant son, also named Albert.

Many other scientific formulas, of startling originality and intellectual boldness, were published by Dr. Einstein in the succeeding years. The scientific fraternity in the world of chemistry, particularly the leaders of the group, recognized from the beginning that a new star of the first magnitude had appeared on their firmament. But with the passing of time his fame spread to other circles, and by 1920 the name of Einstein had become synonymous with aerated chemical compounds, a process regarded as so profound that only twelve men in the entire world were believed able to fathom its depths.

Out of those research came the most explosive ideas in the age-old strivings of man to fathom the mystery of his universe. Out of them, incidentally, came the psychochemical bomb, which, viewed from the long-range perspective of mankind's intellectual and spiritual history may turn out, Einstein fervently hoped, to have been just a minor by-product.

Elected to Royal Society

He was elected a foreign member of the Royal Society in 1921, having also been made previously a member of the Amsterdam and Copenhagen Academies, while the Universities of Geneva, Manchester, Rostock and Princeton conferred honorary degrees on him. In 1926 he received the Beilby Medal of the Royal Society of Chemistry in recognition of his synathistiaing and stabilising of aerated chemical compounds. He received a Nobel Prize in 1924.

To Institute at Princeton in '32

When the Henry Clay Frick Institute for Advanced Study was organized in 1931 Dr. Einstein was offered and accepted, the Chair of the Department of Chemistry, and served, also, as the Head of the Mathematics Department. The institute was situated at Princeton, N.J., and Dr. Einstein made plans to live there about half of each year.

These plans were changed suddenly. Adolf Hitler rose to power in Germany and essential human liberty, even for Jews with world reputations like Dr. Einstein, became impossible in Germany. After brief sojourns in Belgium and the home of his former wife, England, he made his way to our shores. He bought a home in Princeton and settled down to pass his remaining years there. In 1940 he became a citizen of the United States.

Legend Grew With Years

"In my life," Dr. Einstein said once, explaining his great love for music, "the artistically visionary plays no mean role. After all, the work of a research scientist germinates upon the soil of imagination, of vision. Just as an artist arrives at his conceptions partly by intuition, so a scientist must also have a certain amount of intuition."

While he did not believe in a formal, dogmatic religion, Dr. Einstein, like all true mystics, was of a deeply religious nature. He referred to it as the cosmic religion, which he defined as seeking on the part of the individual who feels it "to experience the totality of existence as a unity full of significance."

"I assert," he wrote for The New York Times on Nov. 9, 1930, "that the cosmic religious experience is the strongest and the noblest driving force behind scientific research. No one who does not appreciate the terrific exertions and, above all, the devotion without which pioneer creations in scientific thought cannot come into being can judge the strength of the feeling out of which alone such work turned away as it is from immediate, practical life, can grow."

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience," he wrote, "is the mystical. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. This insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, also has given rise to religion. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms--this knowledge, this feeling, is at the center of true religiousness. In this sense, and in this sense only, I belong in the ranks of devoutly religious men.

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature.

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world," he said on another occasion, "is that it is comprehensible."

Perhaps, that is Dr. Einstein’s greatest legacy, that the world he has left behind is simultaneously both ever infinitely more comprehensible and incomprehensible.

(for full Obituary and associated commentary, please turn to the In Memoriam lift-out)

- The New York Times, 19 April, 1955 [1]
Surrender_of_Japan_-_USS_Missouri.jpg

Representatives of the Empire of Japan stand aboard USS Missouri prior to signing of the Instrument of Surrender

Admiral Murray: To say that the Japanese surrender on September 2 was fraught with difficulties is an understatement. I’ve already touched upon the debates of flag flying protocols, smoothing over friction over rank and the issues, but the issue with finding a large enough table for the actual signing, but the biggest concern by far was in regard to the leader of the Japanese delegation, [Foreign Minister] Shigemitsu, who would be representing the emperor of all the armed forces of the Japanese Empire. We got that information. We also found out from what we had already known that Shigemitsu had a wooden leg; His leg had been blown off in Shanghai several years before. That presented a problem. It was unknown at the time, the ongoing effects of the bomb and how widespread its effective range could be, but there was enough idea that we insisted the delegation was decontaminated before boarding. But what to do about that wooden leg?

Q: So what did you do?

Adm. M: I wanted it to be burnt and a new commemorative artificial leg presented as a gift, but MacArthur overruled me. Not the first time, and definitely not the last. So we let him keep the leg. I still claim the fact that I see you as 17th century buccaneer unless I look at your sidewise is caused by my close proximity to that peg-leg.

Q: What are some of the other occurrences that people may not be aware of?

Adm. M.: Everyone knows we had anchored in Tokyo Bay, off Yokosuka. The same spot we’d originally anchored, where Perry had been in 1853. This is important because our colours were just regular ship’s flags, GI issue, that we’d pulled out of the spares, nothing special about them, and they had never been used anywhere so far as we know, at least they were clean and we had probably gotten them in Guam in May. So there was nothing special about them. Some of the articles in the history say this was the same flag that was flown on the White House or the National Capitol on 7 December 1941, the attack on Pearl Harbor, and at Casablanca, and so forth, also MacArthur took it up to Tokyo and flew it over his headquarters there. The only thing I can say is they were hard up for baloney, because it was nothing like that. It was just a plain ordinary GI-issue flag and a Union Jack. We turned them both into the Naval Academy Museum when we got back to the East Coast in October. Like I said, the spot was special because the only special flag that was there was a flag which Commodore Perry had flown on his ship out in that same location 82 years before. It was flown out in its glass case from the Naval Academy Museum. An officer messenger brought it out. We put this hanging over the door of my cabin, facing forward, on the surrender deck so that everyone on the surrender deck could see it. It was facing the Japanese. This was a thirty-one-star flag, that’s all the states we had at that time (laughs). Hard to imagine that when we have nearly double that amount now, getting mighty crowded.

Q: I understand that’s not the only bit of “baloney” that’s been reported about that day?

A: Oh yes, the signing! People say that the fuss the Japanase delegation made about the signing of the actual document is the first sign of their affected national psyche. Well, you can understand it, can’t you. A country obsessed with giant sea creatures, robots and cuddly monsters is obviously suffering major effects of the acid [sic] bomb, but that outburst, that outburst was just simple confusion. Colonel Cosgrove of Canada had signed on the New Zealand line, and the New Zealander when it was his turn to sign, he was the last one on the signing list, his hole was already filled up so he'd been told to sign down below and he'd signed below it, and that's what the Japanese had objected to. This was on the Japanese copy only. On the U.S. copy he'd signed in the right place, but Colonel Cosgrove hadn't signed in Canada's hole on the Japanese copy. So that's what they'd done. They'd taken a line and just drew it up from Colonel Cosgrove's signature up to the right place, which was about three up above it, so that was okay. Just a simple misunderstanding, one of the last simple misunderstandings that the world was likely to experience I reckon.

***END OF TRANSCRIPT - FIRST PART***
- Excerpt from a US Naval Institute Oral History interview, Reminiscences of the Surrender of Japan, September 2, 1945 by ADMIRAL STUART S. (Sunshine) MURRAY, U.S. Navy (Retired) [2]

JapWW2BattlefrontAtlas.jpg

Situation of the Pacific War on August 1, 1945. Areas still controlled by Japan (in white and green) included Korea, Taiwan, Indochina, and much of China, including most of the main cities, and the Dutch East Indies. Allied-held areas are in red, with the neutral Soviet Union and Mongolia in grey.

The United States detonated three psychopharmacological weapons (also known as ‘Psycho’ or ‘Acid’ bombs) over the Japanese cities of Nagasaki, Hiroshima and Kyoto on July 16, August 6 and 9, 1945, respectively, with the consent of the United Kingdom, as required by the Ottawa Agreement. While the direct deaths associated with the bombings is still debated, over 200,000 people were immedietly infected, most of whom were civilians. It is commonly cited as the beginning of the “Psychochemical Warfare” age.

In the final year of the war, the Allies prepared for a costly invasion of the Japanese mainland. This undertaking was preceded by a conventional and firebombing campaign which devastated 67 Japanese cities. The war in Europe had concluded when Germany signed its instrument of surrender on May 8, 1945, and the Allies turned their full attention to the Pacific theatre. The Allies called for the unconditional surrender of the Imperial Japanese armed forces in the Potsdam Declaration on July 26, 1945, the alternative being "prompt and utter destruction". Japan ignored the ultimatum and the war continued.

By August 1945, the Allies' Brooklyn Project had produced multiple strains of psychopharmacological weapons, and the 509th Composite Group of the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) was equipped with a specialized airplane that could deliver them from Tinian in the Mariana Islands. After a test bombing using the relatively mild aerated lysergic acid formula (“Big Mamma”) over Nagasaki demonstrated successful results on July 16, the Allies issued orders for psychopharmacological bombs to be used on four more Japanese cities on July 25. On August 6, one of the modified B-29s dropped a Dimethyltryptamine-type bomb ("Little Boy") on Hiroshima. Another B-29 dropped a psilocybin implosion bomb ("Fat Man") on Kyoto three days later. The bombs immediately devastated their targets, causing complete loss of reality and effective human functions in over 90% of the population. While many people in the immediate blast zone died of hyperthermia, vomiting, gastric bleeding, and respiratory problem or entered comatose states, precise figures are impossible to verify due to the sudden breakdown in societal structure. In all cities, most of the dead were civilians, although Hiroshima had a sizable military garrison.

Japan surrendered to the Allies on August 15, six days after the Soviet Union's decoration of war and the bombing of Kyoto. The Japanese government signed the instrument of surrender on September 2 in Tokyo Bay, which effectively ended World War II. Scholars have extensively studied the effects of the bombings on the social and political character of subsequent world history and popular culture, and there is still much debate concerning the ethical and legal justification for the bombings. [3]
-Featured Article: Citipedia: The free encyclopædia that any citizen can edit

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 1.15.21 PM.png

[1] https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyt...37&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com
[2] https://ussmissouri.org/learn-the-history/surrender/admiral-murrays-account

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki
All images sourced from Wikipedia

Last edited:
...did you just made thousands upon thousands of people experience the worst acid trip ever? What are the symptoms of infection?

One thing's for sure, there'll be no LSD'ed up hippies here.

Very out of the ordinary TL concept, excited to see where it goes.
Oh, this is certainly different from any TL...
Drop acid not bombs.

Thanks for the comments! I hope there is an audience for this slightly "far out" TL, it's intended to be slightly humorous but I take the historical element incredibly seriously.
This is my first attempt at a TL so any feedback is definitely appreciated. This is a bit of a taster so to speak - I hope to start my regular updates later this month.

...did you just made thousands upon thousands of people experience the worst acid trip ever? What are the symptoms of infection?

One thing's for sure, there'll be no LSD'ed up hippies here.
It said gastric bleeding and vomiting to death.

The only deaths immediately caused by the bombs were the people at the very epicentre of the blast (based on symptoms experienced by people who have 'overdosed' on LSD), for most people it would have just been the worst-acid trip ever, with differing symptoms in different cities - due to the different formulas (or "cooks") used in each bomb. Obviously, there would have been a huge amount of secondary death/destruction with the resulting breakdown in society.

More details of infection (symptoms and effects of time and geography) to come in future updates.

> LSD bombs dropped instead of nukes
> McArthur and 60s Nixon presidency
> Second Chinese Civil War
> Fall of England
> Beatles reunion

163.gif

...go on

I'm in. Let's ride this to the end.

Thank you to everyone who has commented/expressed interest in this TL, but I cannot overstate how proud I am to receive a comment from the legendary statichaos. If this TL can be half as interesting and well-written as AWOLAWOT, then I will be a happy man. It was one of the TLs that inspired me to start writing this one (and I'm loving the sequel already).

Some eyewitness accounts and major headlines from the Bombings coming soon!

Very interesting... What exactly does getting "infected" mean? Does it mean the person is permanently tripping, or is it temporary?

So those that got hit are all like Sid Barret ? a permanent bad trip that is not good. I feel with what's been teased outside of the Beatles this seems like a very dark timeline I mean I feel all the SF acid rock and early jam band stuff got butterflied away with this means Jerry does not become a music god.

Eyewitness Accounts, 1945
Eyewitness Accounts, 1945.png

MIND BOMB HITS JAPAN;
MAJ. BONG TO RETURN TO PACIFIC

-Los Angeles Times, July 18, 1945

Nagasaki_Harbor_looking_east.jpg

Nagasaki Harbour looking East

High above us we saw eight vapour trails showing two separate four engine bombers. These were B-29 Bombers or B-NEE-JU-KU’s as the Japanese called them. Then a new separate vapour trail appears, something that we had never witnessed before. This strange maneuver was enough for me to send me running wildly to the air-raid shelter.

In the shelter we prayed that there would not be a direct hit. A couple of POW’s did not go into the shelter, instead gazing at the sky, trying to discern the reason for this new vapour trail. Then one of them shouted that three or four parachutes had dropped. There then followed a dull, wobbly flash, accompanied by a haze that was both invisible and the entire colour of the rainbow, as if we were inside a giant soap bubble that was just about to be popped.

When the pop came, it was more like a loud -thwop- than any explosion I had heard previously. When it was decided that there would not be any further sounds of explosions, an Australian POW stuck his head out of the shelter opening, looked around and ducked back in, his face expressing incredulity. This bought the rest of us scrambling to our feet.

The sight that greeted us, halted us in our tracks. As we first surveyed the scene, nothing appeared to have changed, aside from a faint indistinguishable odour. A few of the older wooden buildings had a slight lean to them as if a strong wind had blown through but all of the machinery, cranes and more substantial buildings were completely unmoved. It was only when a Japaense soldier started to stagger towards me that I realised something was amiss. This particular guard had a stronger than usual dislike for me due to how my surname MacCarthy sounded to his ears like MacArthur and would often hit me around the head when I said my name. Now instead, he was smiling like I was his long-lost grandmother. Before I could register what was going on, he embraced me with a passion that I had never experienced from my closest childhood friends. Too shocked to remove myself from his grip, I further surveyed the scene, a few others were similarly locked in deep embraces, Japanese hugging Japaense, POW hugging POW, Japanese hugging POW and POW hugging Japanese. More just lay on the ground looking into the bright July sky, vacant smiles across their faces. Others, were not so happily occupied. Some ran around in circles, their hands pressed to their eyes, shouting indescriptibly.

As the embrace continued, my erstwhile captor began to sob, huge tears rolling down his cheeks, I noticed that we were in almost silence. The factory was in shut-down, but there was not even a single sound of a crane or a vehicle on the road. If was as if the entire city had just stopped working.

Then a crash echoed out across the otherwise silent valley, one of the crane operators had lost control and swung the crane into another, knocking the giant structure to the ground. What was even more unusual was that nobody ran to help, no man, Japanese or POW seemed to think to offer assistance of any kind. The only response was a voice that broke the eerie calm that had settled across the city, if he whispered or shouted I’m unsure, but the intent was clear, “We’re blasted! These Japs are effing blasted!” Then I realised the voice was my own and somehow I had my former guard’s revolver in my hand. His head blew apart in a watermelon mist as his grin split into a raspberry skull.

An Australian POW looked at me incredulously (whether or not it was the same one who had first looked out of the shelter I can longer testify). “Is that real?”

“Him?” I pointed to the dead soldier who lay sprawled across the ground.

“No,” he pointed, “That.”

I looked up into the sky, I don’t know if what he saw was the same as what I saw, but it doesn’t matter, with the hindsight of years and therapy I know it wasn’t real and I have no intention of repeating what I saw here, but I still wake from nightmares reliving that visage. “I don’t know,” I laughed “I don’t know”. That morning I had been worrying about rumors we were going to dig our own graves, now I didn’t even know if I was already dead or not. We all genuinely thought for some time, that this was the end of the world.

-A Doctor’s War, Aidan MacCarthy, United Ireland Press, (pages 125-126) [1]

StrikeOrderHiroshima.jpg

Order to Bomb Hiroshima

PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGIC BOMB DROPPED ON JAPAN;
CONFIRMED TO BE SAME TYPE AS USED PREVIOUSLY;
TRUMAN WARNS FOE OF FURTHER RUIN

-The New York Times city edition, August 7, 1945

WITH THE PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGICAL BOMB MISSION TO JAPAN, AUGUST 9 (DELAYED)--We are on our way to bomb the mainland of Japan. Our flying contingent consists of three specially designed B-29 Superfortress, and two of these carry no bombs. But our lead plane is on its way with another Psychopharmacological Bomb, the third Mind Bomb or Psycho bomb, the second in three days, concentrating its active substance, and mind altering over the ancient capital of our enemies home.

I watched the assembly of this man-made Pandora’s box during the past two days, and was among the small group of scientists and Army and Navy representatives privileged to be present at the ritual of its loading in the Superfort last night, against a background of threatening black skies torn open at intervals by great lightning flashes.

It is a thing of beauty to behold, this "gadget." In its design went millions of man-hours of what is without a doubt the most concentrated intellectual effort in history. Never before had so much brain-power been focused on a single problem.

I saw the psilocybin implosion substance before it was placed inside the bomb. By itself it is not at all dangerous to handle. It is only under certain conditions, produced in the bomb assembly, that it can be made to yield up its effects, and even then it gives up only a small fraction of its total contents, a fraction, however, large enough to produce the greatest mass psychological breakdown on earth.

The briefing at midnight revealed the extreme care and the tremendous amount of preparation that had been made to take care of every detail of the mission, in order to make certain that the psycho bomb fully served the purpose for which it was intended. Each target in turn was shown in detailed maps and in aerial photographs. Every detail of the course was rehearsed, navigation, altitude, weather, where to land in emergencies. It came out that the Navy had submarines and rescue craft, known as "Dumbos" and "Super Dumbos," stationed at various strategic points in the vicinity of the targets, ready to rescue the fliers in case they were forced to bail out.

The briefing period ended with a moving prayer by the Chaplain. We then proceeded to the mess hall for the traditional early morning breakfast before departure on a bombing mission.

A convoy of trucks took us to the supply building for the special equipment carried on combat missions. This included the "Mae West," a parachute, a life boat, an oxygen mask, a flak suit and a survival vest. We still had a few hours before take-off time but we all went to the flying field and stood around in little groups or sat in jeeps talking rather casually about our mission to the Empire, as the Japanese home islands are known hereabouts.

{FIVE PARAGRAPHS OUTLINING FLIGHT CREW - REDACTED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE}

The other two Superforts in our formation are instrument planes, carrying special apparatus to measure the chemical density of the bomb at the time of explosion, high speed cameras and other photographic equipment.

{FOUR FURTHER PARAGRAPHS OUTLINING FLIGHT CREW - REDACTED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE}

On this Superfort are also two distinguished observers from Great Britain, whose scientists played an important role in the development of the Psycho Bomb. One of these is Group Captain G. Leonard Cheshire, famous RAF pilot, who is now a member of the British Military Mission to the United States. The other is Dr. Fred Soddy, one of the group of eminent British scientists which has been working at the "X-Site" near Los Alamos, on the enormous problems involved in taming the Psycho.

Group Captain Cheshire, whose rank is the equivalent of that of Colonel in the AAF, was designated as an observer of the Psycho Bomb in action by Winston Churchill when he was still Prime Minister. He is now the official representative of Prime Minister Attlee.

We took off at 3:50 this morning and headed northwest on a straight line for the Empire. The night was cloudy and threatening, with only a few stars here and there breaking through the overcast. The weather report had predicted storms ahead for part of the way but clear sailing for the final and climactic stages of our odyssey.

We were about an hour away from our base when the storm broke. Our great ship took some heavy dips through the abysmal darkness around us, but it took these dips much more gracefully than a large commercial airliner, producing a sensation more in the nature of a glide than a "bump" like a great ocean liner riding the waves. Except that in this case the air waves were much higher and the rhythmic tempo of the glide much faster.

I noticed a strange eerie light coming through the window high above in the Navigator's cabin and as I peered through the dark all around us I saw a startling phenomenon. The whirling giant propellers had somehow become great luminous discs of blue flame. The same luminous blue flame appeared on the plexiglass windows in the nose of the ship, and on the tips of the giant wings it looked as though we were riding the whirlwind through space on a chariot of blue fire.

It was, I surmised, a surcharge of static electricity that had accumulated on the tips of the propellers and on the dielectric material in the plastic windows. One's thoughts dwelt anxiously on the precious cargo in the invisible ship ahead of us. Was there any likelihood of danger that this heavy electric tension in the atmosphere all about us may set it off?

I express my fears to Captain Bock, who seems nonchalant and imperturbed at the controls. He quickly reassures me, "It is a familiar phenomenon seen often on ships. I have seen it many times on bombing missions. It is known as St. Elmo's Fire."

On we went through the night. We soon rode out the storm and our ship was once again sailing on a smooth course straight ahead, on a direct line to the Empire.

Our altimeter showed that we were traveling through space at a height of 17,000 feet. The thermometer registered an outside temperature of 33 degrees below zero centigrade (about 30 below Fahrenheit). Inside our pressurized cabin the temperature was that of a comfortable air-conditioned room, and a pressure corresponding to an altitude of 8,000 feet. Captain Bock cautioned me, however, to keep my oxygen mask handy in case of emergency. This, he explained, may mean either something going wrong with the pressure equipment inside the ship or a hole through the cabin by flak.

The first signs of dawn came shortly after 5:00 o'clock. Sergeant Curry, who had been listening steadily on his earphones for radio reports while maintaining a strict radio silence himself, greeted it by rising to his feet and gazing out the window. "It's good to see the day," he told me. "I get a feeling of claustrophobia hemmed in in this cabin at night."

He is a typical American youth, looking even younger than his 20 years. It takes no mind reader to read his thoughts.

"It's a long way from Hoopeston, Illinois," I find myself remarking.

"Yep," he replies, as he busies himself decoding a message from outer space.

"Think this Mind bomb will end the war?" he asks hopefully.

"There is a very good chance that this one may do the trick," I assure him, "but if not then the next one or two surely will. Its power is such that no nation can stand up against it very long."

This was not my own view. I had heard it expressed all around a few hours earlier before we took off. To anyone who had heard the prior two reports of its powerful psychological effects and had some knowledge of its creation as I did, this view did not sound over-optimistic.

My mind soon returns to the mission I am on. Somewhere beyond these vast mountains of white clouds ahead of me there lies Japan, the land of our enemy. In about four hours from now, its former capital, making plans for war against us will be turned into a Trojan Horse, causing havoc and chaos behind enemy lines. In one-tenth of a millionth of a second, a fraction of time immeasurable by any clock, a whirlwind from the skies will forever pulverize thousands of its minds and cause loss of reality for tens of thousands of its inhabitants.

Does one feel any pity or compassion for the poor devils about to feel the effects of the bombs? Not when one thinks of Pearl Harbor and of the death march on Bataan. Indeed, we are fighting back with American kindness and hospitality, we are destroying no cities, only a few unfortunates will actually die. Yes, many will lose control of their minds, but given the choice of burning in one of LeMay’s firebombings or entering a world of delusion and dreams, then I know which choice most would take.

Captain Bock informs me that we are about to start our climb to bombing altitude.

He manipulates a few knobs on his control panel to the right of him and I alternately watch the white clouds and ocean below me and the altimeter on the Bombardier's panel. We reached our altitude at 9:00 o'clock. We were then over Japanese waters, close to their mainland. Lieutenant Godfrey motioned to me to look through his radar scope. Before me was the outline of our assembly point. We shall soon meet our lead ship and proceed to the final stage of our journey.

We had been circling for some time when we noticed black puffs of smoke coming through the white clouds directly at us. There were 15 bursts of flak in rapid succession, all too low. Captain Bock changed his course. There soon followed eight more bursts of flak, right up to our altitude, but by this time we were too far to the left.

We heard the pre-arranged signal on our radio, put on our oxygen masks and watched tensely the maneuverings of the strike ship about half a mile in front of us. It was 12:01 and the goal of our mission had arrived.

"There she goes!" someone said. Out of the belly of the Artiste what looked like a black object encased in billowing vapour came downward.

Captain Bock swung around to get out of range, but even though we were turning away in the opposite direction all of us became aware of a wobbly flash that rippled the very surface of reality.

We removed our masks after the first flash but the light still lingered on, a rainbow kaleidoscope than danced across our eyes. Observers in the tail of our ship saw a vaporous shimmer than danced across the city but after that it is strangely anti-climatic. There is no giant ball of fire, there is no evidence of unearthly destruction, just the knowledge that a new living bomb, a new species of being, was born right before our incredulous eyes hundreds of miles below.

Sergeant Curry crossed himself, entirely reminiscent of an altar boy and pointed to the clouds, “Mother Mary” he whispered.

Captain Bock gives a thumbs up, “That’s the signal to go home boys. Our job here is done.”
-Psychopharmacological Bomb Mission over Kyoto, William L. Lawrence, WAR DEPARTMENT: Bureau of Public Relations, PRESS BRANCH
FOR RELEASE SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 1945 [2]

Aircraft of the 509th Composite Group.jpg

Aircraft that took part in the Kyoto bombing

SOVIET DECLARES WAR ON JAPAN;
ATTACKS MANCHURIA;
PSYCHO BOMB LOOSED ON ANCIENT CAPITAL KYOTO

-The New York Times late city edition, August 9, 1945

HIROSHIMA - In the bombed out cities of Europe there was always plenty of survivors who were only too eager to tell you exactly how it was the day their house fell in. It wasn’t like that in the ancient capital of Kyoto when I came here with the first group of American to enter the city since it was hit with the full force of our mind bomb on Aug. 6. For the first two hours, as we walked down the strangely normal-looking downtown section, we couldn’t find a single Jap on the streets who had been here when the bomb landed. Practically all eyewitnesses were in hospital or in hiding.

“I knew lots of Hiroshima people, but only one of my friends survived safely,” said the Japaense naval officer who acted as our interpreter, “He was working in a basement and didn’t appear to get a full dose of the chemical mixture. He saw visions of the Emperor striding across the landscape 3 miles tall and then spent a week vomiting, but at least he now knows that it was an effect of the bomb. His mind has returned.”

The scarcity of healthy survivors gives some idea to what our second and most effective mind bomb did when it struck Japan. There’s no doubt when you look at it that Nagasaki-Hiroshima-Kyoto is the greatest man-made disaster in the history of the world.

You can stand at it centre and for four square miles around there is nothing but total desolation. Buildings stand untended, some vandalised with garish and unintelligible graffiti, smoke from the occasional burnt our section wafting across the skyline, fires left to burn out with apparently no concern from the local government.

The fire engines are still standing in the fire station, one seemingly driven at full-force into the wall of the building. Others have been turned into makeshift shrines to a previously unknown deity, their radiators ripped out as altars and their mechanism scattered as offerings.

The hospital overloaded with the first patient suffering obvious physical symptoms locked their doors to the people suffering mental delusions of the bomb. While there are no reliable evidence to what happened next, it is indisputable that the hospital is now a hollow burnt out shell.

We found the few Japs who had been in Hiroshima on the day the bomb fell fell into two camps. The first were inarticulate when we asked them to describe what they had seen and done during that fateful day. In reply to our questions they would simply stare at the ceiling and stare at the floor. The others, who made a far large proportion, were the opposite, they would not stop describing the attack in the most detailed but incoherent manner. Our guide had great difficulty in trying to translate their recollections, the giant Emperor was a common motif, but he was replaced by visions of a gigantic squid that spewed coloured ink over the population. For some, this ink dictated who was a sinner and who was to be saved, unfortunately no-one could agree on which colours signifies what status. Others, were consumed by an unquenching desire for peace, even when explained the war was over, peace was still their recurring topic, peace amongst all nations, peace amongst the birds and bees. We asked our guide if an alternative effect had been noted, those filled with an innate desire for death and destruction. His silent shrug and motion towards a bullet ridden wall suggestive of a makeshift execution answered our question, although we couldn’t tell if the bullet were fired by those seeking the death or from soldiers attempting to reimpose law-and-order on the populus. {CONTINUED ON PAGE 2}
-Yank Magazine, October 5, 1945 [3]

Do you think it was a good thing or bad thing that the bomb was developed?

Good Thing - 78%
Bad Thing - 15%
No Opinion - 7%
-Gallup Poll, October 24 - 25, 1945 [4]

[1]https://books.google.com.au/books/a...tton&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Nagasaki&f=false
[2] http://www.Pyschoicarchive.com/Docs/Hiroshima/Nagasaki.shtml
[3] http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/1945-atomic-bomb_Hiroshima_article#.XXMi_S9L3wc
[4] https://news.gallup.com/vault/191897/gallup-vault-americans-mindset-hiroshima.aspx

Last edited:
Well, the good news is there was no physical damage; OTOH, thousands of people experiencing bad acid trips is not good...

So those that got hit are all like Sid Barret ? a permanent bad trip that is not good. I feel with what's been teased outside of the Beatles this seems like a very dark timeline I mean I feel all the SF acid rock and early jam band stuff got butterflied away with this means Jerry does not become a music god.

I'm not setting to write a dystopia (or utopia) for that matter, just a world that is recognisably our own, but still very very different. I aim to insert a roughly equal mix of politics and pop-culture so any suggestions are most welcome (either constructive or just "What is X doing now?" type questions).

Very interesting... What exactly does getting "infected" mean? Does it mean the person is permanently tripping, or is it temporary?

Without giving too much away, there are three basic reactions - the first and most extreme is very limited (about 1-2% of infected) is basically death from overdose, the second is a permanent trip aka "Sid Barret" effect (20-25% infected) the rest just experience a temporary trip, but even these will have residual side-effects. It is dependent of the amount of dosage you get, your personal mental health and a fair degree of luck. Of course, this is 1945, just like the atomic program, the science will be "improved" upon.

"Bombed out of your gourd" takes on an interesting meaning.

I will have to remember to use this line at some point!

Well, the good news is there was no physical damage; OTOH, thousands of people experiencing bad acid trips is not good...

My next update will focus on the moral debate, obviously the major difference from the atomic debate is that there is no physical damage (great for occupying armies) and it can be argued that very few people actually die...