Baltic Blunder: Europe at war in 1727 (the 2nd Edition)

Baltic Blunder
An expanded Anglo-Spanish War of 1727 TL
4OMR4a0.jpg

Blurb

Felipe V and Isabel Farnese of Spain's schemes to restore Spain's glory continue even after the dramatic failure of the War of the Quadruple Alliance. With help of a Dutch adventurer, Spain has forged an alliance with the Hapsburg Monarchy that proposes not just to restore Gibraltar and Menorca to Spain but also to make Infante Carlos of Spain the husband of Maria Theresa and the next Holy Roman Emperor. Added to this alliance to mighty but sleeping eastern behemoth, the Russian Empire. However, as Spain moves toward war, Britain and France assemble a coalition of Europeans including Prussia, the Dutch Republic, Sweden, Denmark, and Sardinia, to oppose Spain and her allies. Undeterred, Spain commences a war against Britain by opening a siege of Gibraltar, but the Hapsburgs fail to follow and hesitant in the face of this great opposition. Meanwhile, the Royal Navy enters the Baltic Sea to cow the Russians. As Spain's siege falters and the Hapsburgs hold back, and the British threaten the Russians it seems that the war has lost its steam. However, just as peace nears, a British fleet runs into the Russian navy.

Foreword

A couple of years ago I begin to write a story called Baltic Blunder about Europe finding itself in a semi-continental war in 1727. After some difficulties and delays, I did complete the war part of the timeline. However, I had made it clear that intended to write more than that and that I meant to explore the political after-effects of the war, at the very least. Due to time complications arising from me writing several hundred thousands of words for a nation game I, however, never got around to continuing my timeline. Now, that I have closed down that nation game but at the same time due to work had some inspiration pent up, I decided to go back to Baltic Blunder and continue the timeline. However, it's been more than a year since my last update and I am a little unfamiliar with the work. So, before I actually continue the timeline, I intend to revise some of the earlier chapters. So really you could call this the second edition of Baltic Blunder.

Preface
I find European history from the first half of the 18th century to be incredibly interesting. This period involved three major European wars, the War of the Spanish Succession, the Great Northern War, and the War of the Austrian Succession. All of these wars played critical roles in determining the fate of every European power such as Russia's ascendance, the demise of the Dutch Republic, the reorganization of Spanish politics, and more. Despite the major events and impacts of this time period it has often been overlooked. Instead, historians and enthusiasts alike have favored the wars that preceded such as the Great Turkish War or the wars that followed like the Seven Years' War. In an effort to bring more exposure to this time period and its significance I have decided to write timeline about the Anglo-Spanish War of 1727. This war historically was short and almost completely uneventful with only two minor military engagements. In this timeline, however, I am going to show how that war could have escalated and had significant repercussions on Europe and the world.

Table of Contents (to be updated as I write):

Empress Catherine's War

1: Ripperda and the outbreak of war
2: Spain and Britain's war
3: Rally and Rage
Map - 1727 Europe During Empress Catherine's War
4: Hanoverian Alliance Prepares for War
5: Viennese Alliance Mobilizes
6: Assembly at Hanover
7: First Blood at Bienenbuttel
8: All Quiet on the Western Front
9: Spain's Return?
10: A Meaningless March in Milan
11: Catastrophe at Kymmenedalen
12: Osterland Jaunt
13: Parry at Thedinghausen
14: Masterpiece at Munster
15: Road to Bispingen
16: Blenheim! Bellheim?
17: Merciless at Bassignana
18: Kaboom or How Spain Took Back the Rock
19: A Final Push
20: The Fall of Osterland
21: Treaty of Vienna
An Intermission of Uneasy Peace
22: Death of the Empress
23: Return of the King
24: The Ascendancy of Menshikov
25: The Ansbach Incident
26: The Crisis of the Parmese Succession
27: Young Hanover Brave
28: A Giant's Fall
29: Don Carlos Arrives in Italy
30: The Prussian Bachelorette
31: The Spectacle at Muhlberg
32: Prince Friedrich's Judgment
33: Russia without Menshikov
34: Resilience of Raynham
The War of the Polish Succession
35: The Polish Succession
36: The Portuguese Alternative
37: His Majesty's Honor37: His Majesty's Honor
38: Memories of the Grand Siecle38: Memories of the Grand Siecle

Last edited:
GmOvdZc.jpg

Juan Guillermo de Ripperda

The second half of the 17th century had seen the steady deterioration and diminishment of the Spanish empire. For decades, Spain found itself besieged by one opponent after another, all seeking a slice of Spain's rich and immense domains. This lust for Spain's bountiful lands ultimately obstructed the peaceful passage of Spain's empire from Carlos II to his chosen Bourbon heir, Felipe V, and provoked the long, hard War of the Spanish Succession. The war saw the Spanish monarchy attacked everywhere, from the Americas to Sicily to the Spanish Netherlands. Even Spain itself was assailed as the Catalans fought against the Bourbon heir in favor of the Hapsburg claimant, Karl von Hapsburg, as the Rock of Gibraltar was lost to an English invasion, and as Madrid traded hands seven times. Eventually, in 1713, after more than a decade of fighting, the war finally came to an end with the signing of the Treaty of Utrecht. This treaty effectively ended Spain's claim to greatness and removed it from the class of heavyweight European powers that Spain had been a part of since its inception. Soon after the rest of Europe began to look past and beyond Spain: Britain took to adventuring in the Baltic, Austria resumed its campaigning against the Turk, and France attempted to inject life into its lacklustre colonies.

However, while the rest of the Continent thought that Spain's power had been permanently curtailed, the new Spanish king believed that he could revitalize the behemoth that once was Spain. With this dream in mind, Felipe V, his queen, Isabel Farnese, and his adviser Cardinal Alberoni engaged in a series of plots and intrigues to destabilize and distract the guarantors of the Treaty of Utrecht so that Spain might steal back its lost provinces amidst the chaos. These plots included efforts to unleash the Jacobites on Britain, seize control of the government of France, and fuel conflict between the Holy Roman Emperor and the Ottoman Sultan. While Europe's powers were occupied by the consequences of these schemes, the armies of Spain swiftly conquered the islands of Sardinia and Sicily. This initial success, however, did not last. Soon the plots of Alberoni were exposed and defeated and soon after so were the soldiers of Spain. The resulting defeat only served to reconfirm the harsh reality of Utrecht: Spain had fallen. Thwarted and demoralized, King Felipe allowed his melancholy to get the best of him and abdicated in 1724. Unfortunately, the death of Felipe's successor, Luis, just months after forced Felipe to return to his miserable throne.

When Felipe V's second reign began, it did not take long for his scheming to restore Spain's former glory to resume. Having learned from the failed war against the Quadruple Alliance, Felipe now sought to split up and befriend his enemies. Through breaking and shifting the alignments of Europe Felipe thought that he might be allowed to fight just one of his enemies rather than all of them. At first, Felipe imagined that Spain's friend would be France. However, the young French king, Louis XV, and his anti-Felipe advisers ultimately stymied that plan when they sent back the Spanish infanta meant to marry Louis XV. This act outraged the Spanish court and demonstrated that France cared more for Britain's alliance than for its family in Spain. With France having turned its back to Spain, Felipe refocused its efforts on the Holy Roman Emperor.

The task of arranging an alliance between Spain and the Hapsburgs had fallen to the relatively minor character of Juan Guillermo de Ripperda. Ripperda was another in a long string of foreign adventurers who had come to the Spanish court to make their name and fortune. Despite not having done much or really anything to prove himself thus far, Ripperda's knowledge of foreign languages and his limited diplomatic experience were enough for King Felipe to appoint him as Spain's special envoy to the Emperor. The additional benefit of sending Ripperda over a Spaniard was that if Ripperda were to say something truly infuriating to the Emperor, Felipe could easily have Ripperda disavowed and abandoned as Spain had done with so many other adventurers.

The proposition which Ripperda was sent to deliver to Emperor Charles VI was in simple terms outrageous. Spain expected Charles VI to allow his daughter and heiress, Maria Theresa, to wed Don Carlos of Spain who would then be named King of the Romans and be in line to gain the Hapsburg lands in Germany and Hungary. Furthermore, Charles' second daughter would marry Don Felipe of Spain who would receive Milan, Sicily, and Naples from the Emperor. Furthermore, the Southern Netherlands were to be returned to Spain and Hapsburg aid was expected in Spain's efforts to regain Sardinia, Minorca, and Gibraltar. In return, Spain would offer support to the Emperor against the Turks and opposition within the Holy Roman Empire, trade with the Spanish empire, help with the Ostend Company, and concessions regarding the Order of the Golden Fleece. Of course, Charles VI and his ministers outright rejected this imbalanced proposal. Even though this initial offer was declined, Emperor Charles did not scorn the audacious Spanish entirely since he found the idea of a Spanish alliance appropriate. Accordingly, Emperor Charles permitted Ripperda to remain in Vienna to negotiate a reasonable deal.

The first arrangement that Ripperda and the Hapsburgs came to only amounted to a defensive alliance in return for Spain giving the Hapsburgs and their Ostend Company certain commercial rights. This agreement would have been woefully insufficient and angrily thrown out by the Spanish had it not been for Spain's recent falling out with France. Consequently, Spain accepted and even celebrated the Treaty of Vienna and the new alliance with the Hapsburgs. In spite of the limited range of this alliance, its existence still concerned the government of Britain greatly. In Britain, there was even talk of returning Gibraltar to Spain if Spain would void its treaty with the Hapsburgs. Yet this talk was quickly disregarded and in its place talk of a true military alliance with France emerged. France apparently shared Britain's concern and signed the Treaty of Hanover, which entered France into an alliance with Britain and Prussia. The hope was that this counter-alliance would suppress the willingness of the Hapsburgs to feed into the ambitions of Spain. However, the creation of this alliance only further encouraged the Hapsburgs to tie themselves to the Spanish. Within months of the Treaty of Hanover, Ripperda had signed a new treaty with the Emperor that arranged for two of the Emperor's daughters to marry Don Carlos and Don Felipe. Additionally, the Emperor would support Spain's quest to retake Gibraltar and Minorca in return for Spanish subsidies. The fact that both of these terms had been rejected in full during earlier Hapsburg-Spanish negotiations goes to show how much the Treaty of Hanover influences Hapsburg policy. The signing of this revised Treaty of Vienna began a series of negotiations between the states of Europe that left them aligned into two camps, that of Britain and France and that of Austria and Spain. The Hanoverian Alliance ultimately consisted of Britain, France, the Dutch Republic, Hanover, and Sardinia. The opposing Viennese Alliance consisted of Austria, Spain, Russia, Saxony, Bavaria, and Cologne. Prussia although one of the original signers of the Treaty of Hanover created uncertainty about its loyalties by entering into talks with the Emperor.

With these two alliances dividing the continent it seemed like a continental war was on the horizon but first, a political misstep ended Ripperda's adventure and complicated the Hapsburg-Spanish relationship. After returning from Vienna with the improved treaty, Ripperda claimed that Charles VI wanted him to be Spain's prime minister. King Felipe V, Isabel, and the Spanish Court compiled with this demand out of fear of losing their Hapsburg benefactor. However, upon the arrival of the Hapsburg dignitary, Konigsegg, it was discovered that the Emperor was in no way inclined towards Ripperda and that his claim was entirely false. More importantly, however, was the fact that Konigsegg discovered that Spain had no money to supply the subsidies promised by Ripperda. Although the Hapsburgs still favored amity with Spain and continued to remain supportive of Spain this discovery did add to the concerns that the Hapsburgs had about their alliance with Spain. Ultimately, in spite of the Treaty of Vienna's prime orchestrater falling and being imprisoned, the alliance remained intact and soon after an optimistic Spain declared war on Perfidious Albion. However, as the Spanish went war thinking that they had the backing of the Hapsburgs, their Viennese partners were already beginning to have second thoughts about the viability and worth of the alliance [1].

[1] So far everything is still OTL.

Word Count: 1453

Last edited:
Baltic Blunder
An expanded Anglo-Spanish War of 1727 TL
4OMR4a0.jpg

Foreword

A couple of years ago I begin to write a story called Baltic Blunder about Europe finding itself in a semi-continental war in 1727. After some difficulties and delays, I did complete the war part of the timeline. However, I had made it clear that intended to write more than that and that I meant to explore the political after-effects of the war, at the very least. Due to time complications arising from me writing several hundred thousands of words for a nation game I, however, never got around to continuing my timeline. Now, that I have closed down that nation game but at the same time due to work had some inspiration pent up, I decided to go back to Baltic Blunder and continue the timeline. However, it's been more than a year since my last update and I am a little unfamiliar with the work. So, before I actually continue the timeline, I intend to revise some of the earlier chapters. So really you could call this the second edition of Baltic Blunder.

Preface
I find European history from the first half of the 18th century to be incredibly interesting. This period involved three major European wars, the War of the Spanish Succession, the Great Northern War, and the War of the Austrian Succession. All of these wars played critical roles in determining the fate of every European power such as Russia's ascendance, the demise of the Dutch Republic, the reorganization of Spanish politics, and more. Despite the major events and impacts of this time period it has often been overlooked. Instead, historians and enthusiasts alike have favored the wars that preceded such as the Great Turkish War or the wars that followed like the Seven Years' War. In an effort to bring more exposure to this time period and its significance I have decided to write timeline about the Anglo-Spanish War of 1727. This war historically was short and almost completely uneventful with only two minor military engagements. In this timeline, however, I am going to show how that war could have escalated and had significant repercussions on Europe and the world.

Table of Contents (to be updated as I write):
Loved the original idea and am following this redux with interest.

61m5r2i.jpg

13th Siege of Gibraltar

Although Spain had been the one to declare war against Britain in 1727, the first act of war had actually been undertaken by Britain. In the spring of 1726, the British parliament dispatched a fleet of eleven ships-of-the-line, one frigate, two sloops, and one snow to the Caribbean under the command of Rear-Admiral Francis Hosier, a veteran of the War of the Spanish Succession. The orders given to Rear-Admiral Hosier at the time were to interdict or impede the shipment of gold from the Spanish Main to Spain. After weeks of planning and waiting at Port Royal in Jamaica, Rear-Admiral Hosier finally figured out that the best means of disrupting Spain's golden lifeline was to attack Porto Bello, one of Spain's prime treasure ports. Upon arrival, the British fleet managed to quickly and easily seize a number of Spanish ships. However, the Spanish treasure escaped capture and was safely unloaded and returned to the storehouses of the port.

An experienced naval commander such as Rear-Admiral Hosier probably recognized the superiority of the British at that moment over the weak Porto Bello. However, perhaps due to the legal fiction that Britain and Spain were still in a state of peace, Hosier was not authorized to follow-up his successful naval action with the capture of Porto Bello. Instead, Sir Robert Walpole, the leader of the British government, ordered Hosier to blockade Porto Bello and to capture the treasure fleet if it tried to run the blockade. Beyond that, Hosier had little and no authority to act. With the Spanish several ships already they were not so brave as to contest the British blockade. Instead, the following months saw both the Spanish and British forces around Porto Bello remain idle.

The British fleet, at sea, suffered the worst of this calm stall. At first, the British had to contend with the hardship of scurvy that emerged in any fleet too long out of port. Eventually, however, the situation got much worse for the British. Over time, the combination of the tropics and the constrained quarters of the ships culminated in an outbreak of yellow fever among the British fleet. Thousands of British sailors fell victim to the disease, many dying and others being too weak to attend to their duties. Ultimately, with his fleet completely ravaged by disease, Hosier had no option left to him but to return to Jamaica and try to replenish his numbers. Even after the British left Porto Bello, yellow fever continued to plague them, especially after Hosier put to sea again and this time tested Cartagena.

Once Hosier and the British fleet were beaten back from Porto Bello by the hazards of the tropics, the commander of the Spanish treasure fleet, Lieutenant General Antonio de Gaztañeta, did not hesitate to set sail for Spain. With fresh supplies and fresh hulls, the Spanish fleet departed Porto Bello in January 1727. Two months later, on March 8, 1727, de Gaztañeta and the Spanish treasure arrived in Spain unharmed by either enemy or the elements. The fleet's arrival in Spain was hailed as a victory, which it doubtless was considering that Britain had invested and wasted significant resources for the sole purpose of avoiding that exact outcome. The reason for Britain's effort is made quite clear by the fact that the treasure fleet added 31 million pesos to the Spanish treasury. In light of Spain's weak financial institutions and recent monetary constraints, this gold was vital to making Spain's war effort against Britain at all viable.

When Spain declared war on Britain, it did so with little pre-war preparation and a weak treasury. The reason Spain had been willing to make war under such poor conditions was that Spain had been promised serious material aid from the Hapsburg monarchy. The Hapsburgs, however, hesitated about fully committing themselves to the Spanish alliance in the wake of open warfare. The hesitation of Hapsburgs was amplified by the sudden friendliness of the British after months of cool and halting talks. Consequently, Spain found itself dependent solely on its own resources to find a way toward victory. For this reason, the successful delivery of the Spanish treasure in March 1727 was all the more important.

Even in spite of the Hapsburgs pulling away at the last moment and even in spite of Spain's horrible last seven or so decades, the Spanish commanders were still confident in Spain's ability to achieve success. These commands, of course, had to call back to the memory of the Spanish empire of their grandfathers or even great-grandfathers rather than the recent actions of the Spanish military to remind their soldiers of Spain's glory. Even if several of these commanders had found some early successes in Spain's most recent conflict, the War of the Quadruple Alliance, no one could gloss over the fact that that war had ended in a humiliating defeat for Spain and its military. The only reason why Spain was not broken entirely by that war was due to diplomatic machinations.

In this new war, the war against Britain, the main success that the Spanish hoped to achieve was the capture of Gibraltar, which remained a key symbol of Spain's oppression at the hands of other powers. In regards to accomplishing this feat, previously, the late Francisco Castillo Fajardo, Marquis de Villadarias, who had previously tried to recaptured Gibraltar had noted that the British fortress was unassailable without naval superiority. After the horrific defeat of the Spanish navy and de Gaztañeta at the Battle of Cape Passaro during the War of the Quadruple Alliance, Spain had not only lost any claim to naval superiority over the British but any right to even contest the seas with Britain. This is among the reasons why the Spanish fleet at Porto Bello was abused and why the treasure fleet had to remain motionless unlike yellow fever, not Spanish guns, tore apart the British fleet. With these facts in mind, de Villadarias probably would have deemed a capture of the Rock of Gibraltar to be impossible and advised against attempting it. However, by 1727, de Villadarias had been dead for a decade and so even if he would have wanted to object to an attack on Gibraltar, he could not.

With de Villadarias long dead, three other men came to the forefront of Spanish planning against Gibraltar, Jorge Prospero de Verboom, Francisco Monteagut, and Diego Bordick. All three men were engineers rather than simple field generals and they were slightly more sanguine about Spanish prospects against Gibraltar than de Villadarias was. The engineers thought that if a diversionary attack was combined with a quick naval assault against the southern approach of the Rock that Spain had a slim chance of success. Even if this assessment was not as categorical as de Villadarias', King Felipe V of Spain recognized it for what it was: a veiled refutation of action against Gibraltar. For a man as melancholic as Felipe V, the engineers' perspective was simply depressing.

Fortunately for Felipe V and Isabel, among Spain's leading commanders there was at least one would a more cheerful deposition. Cristóbal de Moscoso y Montemayor, Count de la Torres, in contrast to the legacy of de Villadarias and the recent judgments of the engineers, claimed that he could retake Gibraltar. Not only could de la Torres retake Gibraltar but he could do it in six weeks or less. This optimistic claim easily grabbed the attention of Felipe V and Isabel and drowned out any of the resistance or logic of the engineers. Consequently, de la Torres was named commander of the campaign against Gibraltar, and the engineers were made his subordinates. No attention was paid to the fact that de la Torres' own military experience was limited to a series of failed attacks against the Hapsburg forces in Valencia two decades earlier during the War of the Spanish Succession. He could promise Gibraltar in six weeks and that was enough for Felipe V and Isabel.

The army handed to de la Torres consisted of thirty infantry battalions and six squadrons of horse complemented by an artillery train of seventy-two mortars and ninety-two cannons. In total, de le Torres was entrusted with 12,000 men, on paper at least. Among these men were four Irish battalions, which were filled primarily with Jacobite supporters who viewed this campaign as an opportunity to strike a hard blow against the evil Hanoverian empire. Opposing the Spanish army was the much smaller garrison of Gibraltar. This garrison contained only the elements of four incomplete regiments, which added up to just 1,200 men. On top of this numerical disadvantage of ten to one, both David Colyear, the Earl of Portmore, and Brigadier General Jasper Clayton, respectively, the Governor and Lieutenant Governor of Gibraltar, were absent from the fortress when the Spanish army arrived across the isthmus. Consequently, the responsibility of defending the woefully outnumber Gibraltar fell to a mere colonel, Richard Kane. Although the British faced a grim disparity in land forces, Kane and his defenders could rely on the naval squadrons of Gibraltar and Menorca for their help. These squadrons and the naval superiority that they provided promised that Gibraltar should remain supplied with munitions and food throughout the siege.

The Thirteenth Siege of Gibraltar began on February 11, 1727, when the Spanish occupied the Devil's Tower to the north of Gibraltar and began to dig siege lines opposing Gibraltar. The immediate response of the British garrison was to fire a few warning shots, however, the angle of depression made a heavy bombardment of the Spanish position difficult. Consequently, rather than rely on Gibraltar's guns to affect the Spanish, the British used their naval guns, which is fitting considering Britain's historical reliance on its navy. The so-called Wooden Wall of Britain now meant to act as a wooden wall for Gibraltar. At first, these naval attacks did take their toll on the Spanish besiegers and killed hundreds of Spaniards. However, once the Spanish constructed artillery batteries along the coast to trade back fire with the British, the British ships backed down.

Even though the Spanish were able to stop the British naval bombardment, poor weather combined with the harassment provided by British Willis' battery hampered Spanish efforts to advance their siege lines. However, the discovery of a cave beneath Willis' battery offered the Spanish a chance to literally undermine the battery. Yet once it became obvious that completing the task would take several months or more, de la Torres abandoned the thought. Instead, de la Torres stuck to his belief and promise that he could bring down Gibraltar in just six weeks. Unfortunately, the reality of leaving Willis' battery standing meant that the Spanish army could not advance its siege lines much further without the risk of making its infantry the victims of slaughter. Thus, an assault was ruled out and the only thing left to do was for the Spaniards to hammer Gibraltar into submission with their cannons.

The true Spanish bombardment of Gibraltar commended on March 24, 1727, and continued for ten straight days. The bombardment would have lasted longer, but the rains became too heavy and the conditions began too difficult. Still, the bombardment was not without success. The northern fortifications of Gibraltar and the Villa Vieja neighborhood had sustained a harsh punishment from the cannons. Indeed, in Villa Vieja, after the bombardment "a hundred houses were by that means laid in Rubbish" according to one British defender. However, this Spanish success was complemented by some Spanish difficulties. Besides Gibraltar remaining defiant and refusing to surrender, the Spanish army had lost numbers to both disease and desertion. Both disease and desertion were common problems in any siege as the cramped and unsanitary conditions of the siege camp facilitated the spawn and spread of disease while the prolonged idleness and the limited prospect of glory made desertion even more appealing.

The situation for de la Torres' army grew worse when severe weather hampered the Spanish so much that the British were able to reinforce Gibraltar without molestation first on April 7 and later on May 1. These reinforcements brought the size of Gibraltar's garrison up to more than 5,000, or more than four times its original size. Also, among the reinforcements from Britain was the Earl of Portmore, an experienced general and proven leader who as Governor of Gibraltar had been specifically tasked with preparing and planning for this moment since he was first assigned the post in August 1713. Additionally, the reinforcement significantly bolstered the morale and confidence of the British defenders. The situation in Gibraltar was so much improved that shortly afterward a sortie was attempted. However, the sortie did fail due to the British artillery opening fire too early and giving the Spanish forewarning. By this point, de la Torres failed to take Gibraltar in six weeks but he still retained his typical bombastic optimism.

On May 7, the weather finally settled down enough to allow the Spanish to resume their bombardment of Gibraltar. For eight days the Spanish rained fire and dropped thousands of cannonballs on Gibraltar. This bombardment killed a number of British defenders and harried the British batteries. On the Old Mole of Gibraltar, sixteen of twenty-four British cannon were dismounted in a single day of bombardment. At Willis' battery, the bombardment had left only two guns mounted and scared the British artillery personnel so much that they hesitated to return to their positions. This attack shook the British and their confidence so much that Portmore felt the need to raise the wages of his soldiers from eightpence a day to a full shilling a day. Across the isthmus, de la Torres seemed to recognize his success and sent Portmore this message" A Flag of Truce to the Governor With a Compliment to inform his Lordship that they have not begun the Siege, and that as yet they were only trying their ordinance, tho' they yesterday sent us, most part into the Town, 119 Bombs and near 1500 Balls and keep still a most dreadfull firing."

In spite of those eight days of relentless bombardment, Gibraltar and Portmore did not succumb to the Spanish siege and de la Torres' taunts. This defiance proved worthwhile as after eight days of the unwavering attack, the Spanish iron cannons had broken from overuse and the Spanish brass cannons were rendered ineffective by overheating. Furthermore, the failure of the Hapsburgs to provide the promised material support meant that the Spanish supply situation had declined into a horrid state. Soon enough the British had remounted their guns and reestablished their batteries and then proceeded to once again return fire against their Spanish foes. All in all, despite the damage done by the Spanish, they were little closer to taking Gibraltar than when the siege had begun and the defenders although shaken were still stalwart. In the wake of these issues, the previous disagreements between the Spanish commanders over how to conduct a siege of Gibraltar boiled up into outright hostility. De Verboom, the engineer-in-chief of the Spanish siege was so discontented with de la Torres' conducting of the siege that he returned to Madrid to file a complaint with Felipe V. When de Verboom arrived in Madrid, however, he found that Felipe V and the entire Spanish government's focus had turned to an entirely different place from Gibraltar, the Baltic [1].

[1] Once again, this post is entirely OTL. The next post will include the POD. This last line, obviously, hints at that POD: Shenanigans in the Baltic.

Word Count: 2587

Last edited:
61m5r2i.jpg

13th Siege of Gibraltar

Although Spain had been the one to declare war against Britain in 1727, the first act of war had actually been undertaken by Britain. In the spring of 1726, the British parliament dispatched a fleet of eleven ships-of-the-line, one frigate, two sloops, and one snow to the Caribbean under the command of Rear-Admiral Francis Hosier, a veteran of the War of the Spanish Succession. The orders given to Rear-Admiral Hosier at the time were to interdict or impede the shipment of gold from the Spanish Main to Spain. After weeks of planning and waiting at Port Royal in Jamaica, Rear-Admiral Hosier finally figured out that the best means of disrupting Spain's golden lifeline was to attack Porto Bello, one of Spain's prime treasure ports. Upon arrival, the British fleet managed to quickly and easily seize a number of Spanish ships. However, the Spanish treasure escaped capture and was safely unloaded and returned to the storehouses of the port.

An experienced naval commander such as Rear-Admiral Hosier probably recognized the superiority of the British at that moment over the weak Porto Bello. However, perhaps due to the legal fiction that Britain and Spain were still in a state of peace, Hosier was not authorized to follow-up his successful naval action with the capture of Porto Bello. Instead, Sir Robert Walpole, the leader of the British government, ordered Hosier to blockade Porto Bello and to capture the treasure fleet if it tried to run the blockade. Beyond that, Hosier had little and no authority to act. With the Spanish several ships already they were not so brave as to contest the British blockade. Instead, the following months saw both the Spanish and British forces around Porto Bello remain idle.

The British fleet, at sea, suffered the worst of this calm stall. At first, the British had to contend with the hardship of scurvy that emerged in any fleet too long out of port. Eventually, however, the situation got much worse for the British. Over time, the combination of the tropics and the constrained quarters of the ships culminated in an outbreak of yellow fever among the British fleet. Thousands of British sailors fell victim to the disease, many dying and others being too weak to attend to their duties. Ultimately, with his fleet completely ravaged by disease, Hosier had no option left to him but to return to Jamaica and try to replenish his numbers. Even after the British left Porto Bello, yellow fever continued to plague them, especially after Hosier put to sea again and this time tested Cartagena.

Once Hosier and the British fleet were beaten back from Porto Bello by the hazards of the tropics, the commander of the Spanish treasure fleet, Lieutenant General Antonio de Gaztañeta, did not hesitate to set sail for Spain. With fresh supplies and fresh hulls, the Spanish fleet departed Porto Bello in January 1727. Two months later, on March 8, 1727, de Gaztañeta and the Spanish treasure arrived in Spain unharmed by either enemy or the elements. The fleet's arrival in Spain was hailed as a victory, which it doubtless was considering that Britain had invested and wasted significant resources for the sole purpose of avoiding that exact outcome. The reason for Britain's effort is made quite clear by the fact that the treasure fleet added 31 million pesos to the Spanish treasury. In light of Spain's weak financial institutions and recent monetary constraints, this gold was vital to making Spain's war effort against Britain at all viable.

When Spain declared war on Britain, it did so with little pre-war preparation and a weak treasury. The reason Spain had been willing to make war under such poor conditions was that Spain had been promised serious material aid from the Hapsburg monarchy. The Hapsburgs, however, hesitated about fully committing themselves to the Spanish alliance in the wake of open warfare. The hesitation of Hapsburgs was amplified by the sudden friendliness of the British after months of cool and halting talks. Consequently, Spain found itself dependent solely on its own resources to find a way toward victory. For this reason, the successful delivery of the Spanish treasure in March 1727 was all the more important.

Even in spite of the Hapsburgs pulling away at the last moment and even in spite of Spain's horrible last seven or so decades, the Spanish commanders were still confident in Spain's ability to achieve success. These commands, of course, had to call back to the memory of the Spanish empire of their grandfathers or even great-grandfathers rather than the recent actions of the Spanish military to remind their soldiers of Spain's glory. Even if several of these commanders had found some early successes in Spain's most recent conflict, the War of the Quadruple Alliance, no one could gloss over the fact that that war had ended in a humiliating defeat for Spain and its military. The only reason why Spain was not broken entirely by that war was due to diplomatic machinations.

In this new war, the war against Britain, the main success that the Spanish hoped to achieve was the capture of Gibraltar, which remained a key symbol of Spain's oppression at the hands of other powers. In regards to accomplishing this feat, previously, the late Francisco Castillo Fajardo, Marquis de Villadarias, who had previously tried to recaptured Gibraltar had noted that the British fortress was unassailable without naval superiority. After the horrific defeat of the Spanish navy and de Gaztañeta at the Battle of Cape Passaro during the War of the Quadruple Alliance, Spain had not only lost any claim to naval superiority over the British but any right to even contest the seas with Britain. This is among the reasons why the Spanish fleet at Porto Bello was abused and why the treasure fleet had to remain motionless unlike yellow fever, not Spanish guns, tore apart the British fleet. With these facts in mind, de Villadarias probably would have deemed a capture of the Rock of Gibraltar to be impossible and advised against attempting it. However, by 1727, de Villadarias had been dead for a decade and so even if he would have wanted to object to an attack on Gibraltar, he could not.

With de Villadarias long dead, three other men came to the forefront of Spanish planning against Gibraltar, Jorge Prospero de Verboom, Francisco Monteagut, and Diego Bordick. All three men were engineers rather than simple field generals and they were slightly more sanguine about Spanish prospects against Gibraltar than de Villadarias was. The engineers thought that if a diversionary attack was combined with a quick naval assault against the southern approach of the Rock that Spain had a slim chance of success. Even if this assessment was not as categorical as de Villadarias', King Felipe V of Spain recognized it for what it was: a veiled refutation of action against Gibraltar. For a man as melancholic as Felipe V, the engineers' perspective was simply depressing.

Fortunately for Felipe V, among Spain's leading commanders there was at least one would a more cheerful deposition. Cristóbal de Moscoso y Montemayor, Count de la Torres, in contrast to the legacy of de Villadarias and the recent judgments of the engineers, claimed that he could retake Gibraltar. Not only could de la Torres retake Gibraltar but he could do it in six weeks or less. This optimistic claim easily grabbed the attention of Felipe V and drowned out any of the resistance or logic of the engineers. Consequently, de la Torres was named commander of the campaign against Gibraltar, and the engineers were made his subordinates. No attention was paid to the fact that de la Torres' own military experience was limited to a series of failed attacks against the Hapsburg forces in Valencia two decades earlier during the War of the Spanish Succession. He could promise Gibraltar in six weeks and that was enough for Felipe V.

The army handed to de la Torres consisted of thirty infantry battalions and six squadrons of horse complemented by an artillery train of seventy-two mortars and ninety-two cannons. In total, de le Torres was entrusted with 12,000 men, on paper at least. Among these men were four Irish battalions, which were filled primarily with Jacobite supporters who viewed this campaign as an opportunity to strike a hard blow against the evil Hanoverian empire. Opposing the Spanish army was the much smaller garrison of Gibraltar. This garrison contained only the elements of four incomplete regiments, which added up to just 1,200 men. On top of this numerical disadvantage of ten to one, both David Colyear, the Earl of Portmore, and Brigadier General Jasper Clayton, respectively, the Governor and Lieutenant Governor of Gibraltar, were absent from the fortress when the Spanish army arrived across the isthmus. Consequently, the responsibility of defending the woefully outnumber Gibraltar fell to a mere colonel, Richard Kane. Although the British faced a grim disparity in land forces, Kane and his defenders could rely on the naval squadrons of Gibraltar and Menorca for their help. These squadrons and the naval superiority that they provided promised that Gibraltar should remain supplied with munitions and food throughout the siege.

The Thirteenth Siege of Gibraltar began on February 11, 1727, when the Spanish occupied the Devil's Tower to the north of Gibraltar and began to dig siege lines opposing Gibraltar. The immediate response of the British garrison was to fire a few warning shots, however, the angle of depression made a heavy bombardment of the Spanish position difficult. Consequently, rather than rely on Gibraltar's guns to affect the Spanish, the British used their naval guns, which is fitting considering Britain's historical reliance on its navy. The so-called Wooden Wall of Britain now meant to act as a wooden wall for Gibraltar. At first, these naval attacks did take their toll on the Spanish besiegers and killed hundreds of Spaniards. However, once the Spanish constructed artillery batteries along the coast to trade back fire with the British, the British ships backed down.

Even though the Spanish were able to stop the British naval bombardment, poor weather combined with the harassment provided by British Willis' battery hampered Spanish efforts to advance their siege lines. However, the discovery of a cave beneath Willis' battery offered the Spanish a chance to literally undermine the battery. Yet once it became obvious that completing the task would take several months or more, de la Torres abandoned the thought. Instead, de la Torres stuck to his belief and promise that he could bring down Gibraltar in just six weeks. Unfortunately, the reality of leaving Willis' battery standing meant that the Spanish army could not advance its siege lines much further without the risk of making its infantry the victims of slaughter. Thus, an assault was ruled out and the only thing left to do was for the Spaniards to hammer Gibraltar into submission with their cannons.

The true Spanish bombardment of Gibraltar commended on March 24, 1727, and continued for ten straight days. The bombardment would have lasted longer, but the rains became too heavy and the conditions began too difficult. Still, the bombardment was not without success. The northern fortifications of Gibraltar and the Villa Vieja neighborhood had sustained a harsh punishment from the cannons. Indeed, in Villa Vieja, after the bombardment "a hundred houses were by that means laid in Rubbish" according to one British defender. However, this Spanish success was complemented by some Spanish difficulties. Besides Gibraltar remaining defiant and refusing to surrender, the Spanish army had lost numbers to both disease and desertion. Both disease and desertion were common problems in any siege as the cramped and unsanitary conditions of the siege camp facilitated the spawn and spread of disease while the prolonged idleness and the limited prospect of glory made desertion even more appealing.

The situation for de la Torres' army grew worse when severe weather hampered the Spanish so much that the British were able to reinforce Gibraltar without molestation first on April 7 and later on May 1. These reinforcements brought the size of Gibraltar's garrison up to more than 5,000, or more than four times its original size. Also, among the reinforcements from Britain was the Earl of Portmore, an experienced general and proven leader who as Governor of Gibraltar had been specifically tasked with preparing and planning for this moment since he was first assigned the post in August 1713. Additionally, the reinforcement significantly bolstered the morale and confidence of the British defenders. The situation in Gibraltar was so much improved that shortly afterward a sortie was attempted. However, the sortie did fail due to the British artillery opening fire too early and giving the Spanish forewarning. By this point, de la Torres failed to take Gibraltar in six weeks but he still retained his typical bombastic optimism.

On May 7, the weather finally settled down enough to allow the Spanish to resume their bombardment of Gibraltar. For eight days the Spanish rained fire and dropped thousands of cannonballs on Gibraltar. This bombardment killed a number of British defenders and harried the British batteries. On the Old Mole of Gibraltar, sixteen of twenty-four British cannon were dismounted in a single day of bombardment. At Willis' battery, the bombardment had left only two guns mounted and scared the British artillery personnel so much that they hesitated to return to their positions. This attack shook the British and their confidence so much that Portmore felt the need to raise the wages of his soldiers from eightpence a day to a full shilling a day. Across the isthmus, de la Torres seemed to recognize his success and sent Portmore this message" A Flag of Truce to the Governor With a Compliment to inform his Lordship that they have not begun the Siege, and that as yet they were only trying their ordinance, tho' they yesterday sent us, most part into the Town, 119 Bombs and near 1500 Balls and keep still a most dreadfull firing."

In spite of those eight days of relentless bombardment, Gibraltar and Portmore did not succumb to the Spanish siege and de la Torres' taunts. This defiance proved worthwhile as after eight days of the unwavering attack, the Spanish iron cannons had broken from overuse and the Spanish brass cannons were rendered ineffective by overheating. Furthermore, the failure of the Hapsburgs to provide the promised material support meant that the Spanish supply situation had declined into a horrid state. Soon enough the British had remounted their guns and reestablished their batteries and then proceeded to once again return fire against their Spanish foes. All in all, despite the damage done by the Spanish, they were little closer to taking Gibraltar than when the siege had begun and the defenders although shaken were still stalwart. In the wake of these issues, the previous disagreements between the Spanish commanders over how to conduct a siege of Gibraltar boiled up into outright hostility. De Verboom, the engineer-in-chief of the Spanish siege was so discontented with de la Torres' conducting of the siege that he returned to Madrid to file a complaint with Felipe V. When de Verboom arrived in Madrid, however, he found that Felipe V and the entire Spanish government's focus had turned to an entirely different place from Gibraltar, the Baltic [1].

[1] Once again, this post is entirely OTL. The next post will include the POD. This last line, obviously, hints at that POD: Shenanigans in the Baltic.

Word Count: 2581
Very interesting, as usual. What puzzles me is that in OTL the attempts to take Gibraltar had been conducted in the most “obvious” and the least productive straightforward way with almost predictable lack of success (the attempt to break a stone wall using your head as a tool are entertaining but not necessarily productive). As you can see from the map of the XVIII fortifications (link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortifications_of_Gibraltar#Eighteenth_century provides the names) along the ridge goes Charles V Wall. Access to the Catalan Bay is protected by Devil’s Tower, which, as you described, is taken by the Spanish.

1607305714034.jpeg

The wall was mostly undefended and lacking artillery placements. In 1704 a force of five hundred volunteers led by Spanish Gibraltar-born goatherd Simón Susarte managed to scale Charles V's Wall, and massacred the guard at Middle Hill, but were attacked by a party of grenadiers and were all either killed or captured. So this could be tried in 1727 on a greater scale and synchronized with a major bombardment and/or a false attack from the Northern direction to keep the British reserves tied down. Of course, getting even the light guns on the top would be difficult but not completely impossible (IIRC, during Nappy’s second Italian campaign the French hauled the field artillery across the Alps, which are a tiny bit higher 😂: the carriages had been taken apart and the barrels had been pulled uphill by the cables). Of course, this had to be done when there are no British ships patrolling the Mediterranean side so we are probably talking about couple days of a bad weather or simply the Brits not d pe ting such an action.

Even simply having 1,500 - 2,000 Spanish musketeers on the ridge with a demonstration and a heavy barrage going against Willis’ Battery would put the garrison of 1,500 in a very difficult if not the desperate situation. If anything, these troops could attack the Willis’ Battery from the: the battery already suffered a very serious damage from the Spanish barrage and with a two-prong attack it could be taken. Or they could simply start shooting at the battery defenders from the rear/uphill. .... It is so simple and obvious when you are engaged in a coach generalship (*) 😂

1607306928472.jpeg

Very interesting, as usual. What puzzles me is that in OTL the attempts to take Gibraltar had been conducted in the most “obvious” and the least productive straightforward way with almost predictable lack of success (the attempt to break a stone wall using your head as a tool are entertaining but not necessarily productive). As you can see from the map of the XVIII fortifications (link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortifications_of_Gibraltar#Eighteenth_century provides the names) along the ridge goes Charles V Wall. Access to the Catalan Bay is protected by Devil’s Tower, which, as you described, is taken by the Spanish.

View attachment 605730
The wall was mostly undefended and lacking artillery placements. In 1704 a force of five hundred volunteers led by Spanish Gibraltar-born goatherd Simón Susarte managed to scale Charles V's Wall, and massacred the guard at Middle Hill, but were attacked by a party of grenadiers and were all either killed or captured. So this could be tried in 1727 on a greater scale and synchronized with a major bombardment and/or a false attack from the Northern direction to keep the British reserves tied down. Of course, getting even the light guns on the top would be difficult but not completely impossible (IIRC, during Nappy’s second Italian campaign the French hauled the field artillery across the Alps, which are a tiny bit higher 😂: the carriages had been taken apart and the barrels had been pulled uphill by the cables). Of course, this had to be done when there are no British ships patrolling the Mediterranean side so we are probably talking about couple days of a bad weather or simply the Brits not d pe ting such an action.

Even simply having 1,500 - 2,000 Spanish musketeers on the ridge with a demonstration and a heavy barrage going against Willis’ Battery would put the garrison of 1,500 in a very difficult if not the desperate situation. If anything, these troops could attack the Willis’ Battery from the: the battery already suffered a very serious damage from the Spanish barrage and with a two-prong attack it could be taken. Or they could simply start shooting at the battery defenders from the rear/uphill. .... It is so simple and obvious when you are engaged in a coach generalship (*) 😂

View attachment 605731
I mean this is so far just OTL. This time around I tried to do a better job of emphasizing that de la Torres only got the post because he said he could take Gibraltar in 6 weeks, not due to his technical expertise or his valiance in the War of the Quadruple Alliance. He was a former soldier who was boastful and that's all it took to win Felipe V's approval. De la Torres was not the right man for the job and he botched the early part of the siege. Although the bombardment felt good for the Spanish, it didn't actually give them the upperhand long-term.

I mean this is so far just OTL. This time around I tried to do a better job of emphasizing that de la Torres only got the post because he said he could take Gibraltar in 6 weeks, not due to his technical expertise or his valiance in the War of the Quadruple Alliance. He was a former soldier who was boastful and that's all it took to win Felipe V's approval. De la Torres was not the right man for the job and he botched the early part of the siege. Although the bombardment felt good for the Spanish, it didn't actually give them the upperhand long-term.
I got that and I was talking strictly about the OTL events and non-events: it really surprised me that in OTL nobody tried to do something more intelligent than a frontal attack. Especially taking into an account that there already was an earlier attempt to get up the hill from the Catalan Bay side and that this attempt succeeded in taking a part of Charles Vs Wall. The final failure is another issue which had nothing to do with a technical possibility of such an attack.

OK, de la Torres was not up to the task but, as you wrote, proposals of the presumably competent engineers did not consider this scenario either. And, IIRC, nothing of the kind had been tried during the Great Siege of Gibraltar even if (as I understand) there were no significant improvements of the fortifications on Catalan Bay side. Any idea why? Could it be because the idea was, indeed, quite risky and a prevailing mentality of the XVIII was to minimize risk during the sieges even if this meant an absence of the results (and could end in the greater losses)?

To illustrate my point, here are two examples from the 2nd Ottoman War of Catherine II: Potemkin, being in charge of the siege of Ochakov, was consistently refusing to storm the fortress due to the fear of the losses (at some point he even ordered to stop a promising attack). Eventually, after he lost a noticeable part of his army due to the diseases, cold and hanger and after CII lost patience, he ordered the storm and the fortress fell within few hours (the losses had been smaller than those already suffered by doing nothing).

On the following stage of the same war Potemkin ordered Suvorov to take Izmail, a strong even if obsolete fortress. Upon arrival Suvorov did not bother with the siege (trenches, bombardment, etc.) at all. He just spent few days training the troops in usage of the ladders and ordered a straightforward attack. The losses were big (this “father of the soldiers” always was on a butchery side) but the walls were scaled and Ottoman garrison massacred.

We have examples of two distinctive types of a mentality out of which Potemkin’s was much more “traditional”: his idea was to take a fortress with a minimal risk while Suvorov’s idea was just to take a fortress.

Last edited:
369px-Catherine_I_of_Russia_by_Nattier.jpg

Empress Catherine I of Russia

At the same time as the British found themselves at war with the Spanish in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean, they also were in the midst of a crisis with the Russians in the Baltics. Ever since Russia's dramatic victory over Sweden in the Great Northern War, Russia had been the Baltic's premier power. Since this Russian rise coincided with the succession of the German Hanoverians to the British throne, Russia being the major Baltic power posed a grave threat to Britain's new Hanoverian attachment. Of particular concern to the Hanoverian dynasty was Russia's ardent support of the House of Holstein-Gottorp's claims against the House of Oldenburg, the monarchs of Denmark and Norway. These claims consisted of portions of the Duchy of Holstein and Duchy of Schleswig. Alone the Holstein-Gottorps had no chance of defeating the Danes and repossessing these lands. However, with Russian armies fighting in their name the Holstein--Gottorps could very well retake these lands. The reason why the Hanoverians found this possibility so worrying was that Denmark's sale of Bremen-Verden to the Hanoverians had been conditioned on the House of Hanover promising to support Denmark in its continued dispute with the Holstein-Gottorps. In the case that Denmark was to lose its parts of Holstein and Schleswig then the sale of Bremen-Verden could be considered void. Subsequently, the province could be detached from the possessions of the Hanoverians and their Electorate of Brunswick-Luneburg could be left without easy access to the valuable Bremish ports.

As a consequence of this geopolitical situation, the Hanoverian-led Britain had spent the years between the Great Northern WWar and 1727 doing everything they could to oppose Russia and discourage it from coercively amending the Holstein-Gottorp's circumstances. This active and oppositional policy involved Britain deploying a war fleet to the Baltic in 1721 and then again in 1726. Both times, these fleets acted as shows of force meant to demonstrate Britain's resolve in opposing the Holstein-Gottorps' claims and Russia's support of them. Although the latter fleet did successfully dissuade a Russian attack on Denmark in 1726, it also turned Russia's attention and ire away from solely Denmark and Norway to Britain and Brunswick-Luneburg as well. Out of their fury for Britain's constant interference with Russian foreign policy, Empress Catherine I and her councilors placed Russia in two alliances that were opposed to Britain. The first alliance was concluded with the Hapsburgs and Spaniards. Under the conditions of this alliance, Russia agreed to join in arms against Britain and all her allies by supplying 30,000 soldiers for direct action against Brunswick-Luneburg. The second alliance was made with the exiled Jacobite claimants to the British throne. This second alliance, however, was only informal and no official treaty was signed, which perhaps reflects the landless status of the Jacobites. Altogether, the two alliances, even the informal second one, frightened Britain, even more so than the prospect of war with the hobbled Spain.

Britain chose to act on its fear as it always did: by sending envoys and warships. In the spring of 1727, British envoys arrived in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Cassel for the purpose of gathering allies to defend Brunswick-Luneburg from Russian aggression. In Copenhagen, the British reaffirmed their support for the Oldenburgs over the Holstein-Gottorps in the Holstein-Schleswig dispute. Additionally, the British reminded the Danes of the hazard of Russian power to Danish interests. In Stockholm, the British offered the revanchist Swedes a chance to redeem the hard defeat and restore the lost conquests of the Great Northern War. In Cassel, the British simply presented hard cash and promised more to come. In all three capitals, each government agreed to sign on to the Treaty of Hanover and thus join the Anglo-Prusso-French alliance.

While British diplomats went around northern Europe buying Britain foreign arms to defend Brunswick-Luneburg, the British navy entered the Baltic to remind Russia who was the superior naval power. Once again, a British fleet had trespassed into Russia's sphere of influence determined to show its strength over Russia and force Russia to back down during a geopolitical spate. Yet this time was different from previous ones. In 1726, the Russians had stayed at their base of Reval and abandoned their plans when threatened by the British fleet. Rather than fight or even mildly contest the British, the Russians had been willing to effortlessly concede. In 1727, however, the Russians were in a very different state of mind. After the embarrassment experienced by the Russians in 1726 and in light of Britain's hostile diplomacy, Russia chose against allowing the British to encroach its waters and intrude in Russia's affairs. Unlike in 1726, in 1727, the Russians were determined to act. Fuelled by this sentiment of having wronged by the British, Empress Catherine I of Russia rallied with all her strength from her most recent bout of illness and commanded General Admiral Fyodor Apraskin and the Russian Baltic fleet to answer Britain's display of force with one of Russia's own. Shortly, afterward, the constant ill-health of Empress Catherine restricted to her bed once more and left violently fighting with an illness. The Russian empress would continue to struggle with her illness through the weeks of May [1].

As Empress Catherine battled with illness, General Admiral Apraksin did just as she had ordered him and moved to challenge the British trespassers. After weeks of sailing, Apraksin located the British fleet, commanded by Admiral John Norris, on May 23, off the coast of the island of Osel. Upon sighting the British, Apraksin prepared his fleet for battle and accordingly sent orders to Osel and Moon's garrisons for help from the coast. In spite of Apraksin making these preparations, Apraksin had no desire to fight a real battle against the mighty Royal Navy. All Apraksin wished to do was to adhere to a limited application of Catherine's orders. By that, Apraksin meant to demonstrate Russian strength and fire some warning spots. Apraksin felt that this non-committal action would fulfill his orders and uphold Russian honor without exposing Russia's navy to the lethal potential of the British navy.

Although Apraksin was content to have something that could hardly be called a skirmish or action and fearful of anything greater, Admiral Norris had no qualms about engaging the Russian fleet fully. When Norris had first heard of the Russian fleet leaving the safety of Reval, he had been surprised and concerned. This concern was not for Norris' own fleet since Norris like any other naval expert was confident that the Royal Navy could handle its less sophisticated and less trained Russian counterpart. The concern instead was for Britain itself. Previously, a Russian squadron had managed to sail as far as the Hebrides without being intercepted or halted by the Royal Navy. Considering at this point that Russia was allied with the Spaniards and linked with the Jacobites, Admiral Norris naturally was uneasy about the potential of Russians managing such a feat again. For all Norris knew the Russians planned to be at war with Britain soon just as Spain already was or perhaps the Russians were dreaming up plans of putting a Jacobite army on British soil. Britain and Russia could already be at war with how slow communications traveled during the era. Faced with these potential scenarios, Norris felt that the best course of action to respond to an aggressively moving Russian fleet was to engage and defeat it. Consequently, Norris organized his fleet for battle and sailed straight at the Russian ships [2].

In the opening act, the superior British ships and seamanship hammered the Russian fleet hard. From their gun decks, the British blasted the Russians with cannon fire and from their fighting tops, the British mariners harassed the Russians with musket volleys. Of course, the Russians responded in kind but in a less organized and impactful manner. Although the Russians may have developed an adequate navy, the British were one of, if not the best, naval powers at the time and it showed during this opening combat. Although the Russians fought hard and did not break under the heavy pressure of the British attack, the Russians were clearly taking the worse of the fighting. Daunted by the British aggression and obvious superiority, Apraksin ordered his fleet to retreat into the Kleiner Sund.

When the Russian ships pulled into the Kleiner Sund along Osel's coast, Norris did not hesitate to order his ships to chase after them. Norris felt may have been winning the battle already and perhaps could have even claimed victory if it sailed away at that point, but the Russian fleet still remained intact. Only one of the Russian ships had thus far been sunk and none at all had been captured. Thus, the Russian fleet still remained somewhat of a danger to Britain. More importantly for an ambitious and adventurous man like Norris there was still a chance for greater glory if he crippled the Russian fleet or even completely defeated it, which seemed perfectly within the realm of possibility given the early success of British ships and arms. Furthermore,a continued battle carried with financial incentives since Norris might capture some Russian ships to sell as prizes back in Britain.

When the British fleet did chase after the Russian one, it struggled, significantly. Even though the British fleet was undoubtedly the better fleet overall, the British fleet was not better in every way. Throughout the 1720s, the Russian navy had gone from being a fleet filled with and commanded by foreigners to none that was decidedly Russian. As a result, the pilots, captains, and sailors were all considerably familiar with the shorelines of the Russian Empire and how to navigate them. Furthermore, the Russian fleet was a Baltic one whereas the British fleet was an Atlantic one. The small size of the Baltic Sea, its many islands, and the typical constrained quarters of its battles meant that heavy ships were not always superior as they were in the Atlantic. Having the biggest ships and most guns can win many naval battles in the open sea but the same cannot be said when fighting among the cramped shorelines of the Baltic. The Royal Navy's focus on blue water fighting rather than coastal fighting had helped them win a number of battles and wars. However, that same focus had also contributed to several English defeats to the Dutch despite superior English numbers when fighting along the complicated coastline of the Low Countries. At Osel, decades later, the British faced the punishment for having failed to learn from all their mistakes against the Dutch.

In the tight Kleiner Sund, the British fleet effectiveness quickly and dramatically diminished. Also, the British found themselves being harassed by Russian soldiers from the coasts of Osel and Moon. Even when faced with these adversities, Norris pressed on. Norris saw these complications as hindrances to victory not barriers to victory. Additionally, these "hindrances" had already decreased the scale of Norris' earlier victory. If Norris did not continue the battle until he achieved a greater victory then he surely would be criticized for either overextending himself or not giving chase to a defeated enemy. This attitude was the result of the naval culture developed by the British Admiralty. However, when Norris pressed on, Apraksin merely fell back further. Finally, the battle found its climax when with a sudden, jarring crash, the HMS Britannica ran aground on a hidden shoal. The large size of the HMS Britannica meant that it running aground did not just take the Britannica out of battle but also impeded the ships behind it. Furthermore, the confined area of the strait and the coastal harassment meant that any British attempt to unground the ship was unlikely to succeed. In the wake of this disastrous accident, Norris had effectively lost his biggest ship and was faced with an even smaller channel to move his fleet through. As the situation stood, Norris had no choice but to give up his chase of Apraksin and to retreat back into the open waters of the Baltic. In the course of this retreat, the British evacuated the Britannica but were not afforded the time and opportunity to destroy it. In spite of the British being forced to retreat, Apraksin did not order a counter-attack and chase. Actually, the Russians were incapable of chasing after the British due to the largest amount of number and heft number of casualties sustained by the Russian fleet.

When news of the Battle of Osel reached Saint Petersburg, it is said that Empress Catherine was so filled with an absolute white rage that she managed to instantly recover from her months-long illness, sit-up proudly, and loudly proclaim that she would destroy Hanover and crush Britain and all its allies for their grievous assault on Russia. Whatever the truth of that anecdote, Catherine did recover from her bedridden state soon after the battle and was indeed enraged by the British attack. In Catherine's eyes, Russia and Britain had been at peace when Britain attacked Russian without provocation. The Russian fleet was doing nothing more than protecting the sovereignty of Russian waters as was its right. Catherine's foreign minister, Andrei Osterman called back to the Battle of Cape Passaro when the British attacked a Spanish fleet in spite of a state of peace between Britain and Spain. The Battle of Osel was no different from Cape Passaro in that regard. There is some truth to that analogy but that analogy also ignores Catherine's aggressive orders and Russia's alliance with Spain, a country that was at war with Britain at the time. It is fairer to say that Catherine was fishing for an excuse to go to war with Britain so that she could resolve the Holstein dispute once and for all and definitively protect Russia's honor [3].

Regarding the actual result of the Battle of Osel: the Russian fleet had lost 3 ships while the British had only lost the Britannica, and the Britannica had been lost due to running aground rather than Russian naval prowess. Furthermore, twice as many Russian ships had been severely damaged relative to the British fleet. Given these statistics, it seems evident that the Russians were tactically defeated. Also, following the battle, the British fleet was able to remain in the Baltic while the Russian fleet had to retreat to Reval for repairs. Given this strategic situation, the Russians failed to achieve their strategic goal of ending the British threat in the Baltic so there is no strategic victory to be found for either. Thus, with both a tactical and strategic defeat, by strict definition, the Battle of Osel was a Russian defeat and a British victory.

In spite of the facts, Empress Catherine and the Russians called the Battle of Osel a victory, for them. Catherine proclaimed Apraksin a hero and called Osel the second Gangut. Britain seemed to agree with the Russian sentiment as their reaction to the battle was to consider a humiliation. To the British, low and high, in the Parliament and the Admiralty, Osel looked as if the Royal Navy had been given a bloody nose by a navy that was less than half a century old, led by Asiatic beasts, and consisting of inferior ships. Admiral Norris was completely vilified for his conduct and command during the battle and consequently recalled to Britain. The Admiralty was so strong in their criticism of Admiral Norris that they chose Admiral Charles Wager, who was leading the vital naval effort in Gibraltar, to replace him. Ultimately, Norris was court-martialled over the battle's results but he would successfully defend himself before the military tribunal. A major contributor to the Russian and British sentiments that contradicted the facts of a British victory was that the fate of the Britannica. The loss of a major warship like the Britannica was already embarrassing enough. After the battle, however, the Russians increased their embarrassment further by completing unloading the warship and successfully kedging it. After refloating the Britannica, the Russians repaired it and added it to their own navy. Of course, the name of Britannica was no longer fitting so Catherine renamed it Retribution to indicate her intent to use Britain's own great ship to punish Britain and Brunswick-Luneburg.

Regarding that punishment, the first move Empress Catherine made was to inform her ambassador to Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI that she was invoking the terms of their alliance and calling on the Hapsburgs to help Russian retaliate against the brazen British attack in the Baltic. At the time, Emperor Charles VI was engaged in negotiations with the British to abandon Spain and reestablish relations with Britain. Considering the lack of Spanish military success and the growing strength of the Hanoverian Alliance, Charles VI had been very inclined to accept the British offer of reconciliation. After the Battle of Osel, however, the situation for Charles VI drastically changed. Even though Charles VI did not pay too much heed to the fanfare made about the heroic victory of the Russian David against the British Goliath, Charles did recognize that if he reconciled with the British now that he would not just have to betray the Spaniards but also the Russians. While the Hapsburgs very well could survive without Spain at its side the same confidence could not be maintained about giving up the alliance with Russia. Still, Charles was very wary to throw his domain into what could be a long, bloody continental war. A war in which there was no guarantee of victory. For days, Charles and his council debated the issue under constant bombardment from the diplomats of Russia, Spain, and Britain. Finally, on June 29, Charles and the Hapsburgs released their answer and it was just as the Russians and Spaniards had prayed for, war.

The decision of the Russians and the Hapsburgs to declare war on Britain triggered the series of treaties signed between the various powers of Europe and turned what had originally been a limited war between Spain and Britain into a true continental conflict. Opposed by Russia, the Hapsburgs, and Spain, Britain requested France, Sardinia, the Dutch Republic, Denmark-Norway, Sweden, Hesse-Cassel, and Prussia come to its aid. Almost all of these states chose to fulfill their commitments to Britain and joined the war. The Dutch Republic, unsurprisingly, was quite slow in its reaction since its States-General was worried about the potential of French soldiers occupying the Austrian Netherlands, which had acted as a buffer for the Dutch since the War of the Spanish Succession.

More significant than the Dutch delays was the reaction of Prussia. Prussia had never truly been committed to the thought of an alliance with Britain and France and was reevaluating its situation even before the Battle of Osel and the outbreak of war. In the wake of this war, Prussia's careful examination of its ties with the powers of Europe had to come to a swift conclusion. Although Prussia was a strong state in its own right, it recognized that it was weaker than the Hapsburg monarchy and far far far weaker than the Russian Empire. To fight for Britain could easily mean the complete destruction of Prussia or at least significant damaging of it by the combined arms of the Holy Roman Emperor the Russian empress. Additionally, Prussia risked alienating the final arbiter of legal disputes in the Holy Roman Empire permanently by siding with Britain. On the other hand, fighting for the Emperor and Empress offered Prussia the chance to be in the good graces of the Emperor for any territorial disputes and most importantly meant completely avoiding the likelihood of Russian hordes overwhelming Prussia and Brandenburg. With these thoughts in mind, Prussia chose to join Bavaria, Cologne, and Saxony as allies of Russia, the Hapsburgs, and Spain. All in all, the state set was a spectacle of war between nearly all of the relevant European states [4].

[1] THIS IS THE POD. In OTL, Catherine I dies on May 16 of 1727. As a result of her death, there immediately is a (bloodless) struggle among the Russian nobility to select the next Russian ruler. As a result of this struggle, new people came into power and among their first actions was to recall the Russian Baltic fleet. Obviously, only recently having gained power the new government does not want to risk losing control or popularity due to war. TTL, Catherine does not die, the fleet is not recalled, and it ultimately ends up fighting the British.
[2] British naval policy at this time was exceedingly aggressive and tensions with Russia were at a very high point.
[3] Tensions were very high, all that was needed was a spark.
[4] Alliances are all OTL and so is Prussia's ultimate loyalty to Austria and ever-lasting fear of Russia.

Word Count: 3460

Last edited:
I am intrigued. I don't really recall the last version of this tl, but if I were to hazard a guess, I want to say the Hanoverians have the advantage; They have near-total naval hegemony in just about every theater, and I could easily see them pressing that advantage to cut Spain from their empire and severely undermining northwestern Russia. Sweden might also be a major benefactor, given that they should be a giant issue for Russia (especially given former adversaries are onside ttl), and likely prussia as well. The issue lies in southern germay and bavaria. Can France handle spain and Austria?

I am intrigued. I don't really recall the last version of this tl, but if I were to hazard a guess, I want to say the Hanoverians have the advantage; They have near-total naval hegemony in just about every theater, and I could easily see them pressing that advantage to cut Spain from their empire and severely undermining northwestern Russia. Sweden might also be a major benefactor, given that they should be a giant issue for Russia (especially given former adversaries are onside ttl), and likely prussia as well. The issue lies in southern germay and bavaria. Can France handle spain and Austria?
It is not quite clear how the naval advantage is going to map into advantages on the land. In OTL, during the GNW the Swedes with their clear naval advantage could not prevent the Russian invasion into Finland and the British naval presence on the Baltic changed very little in that regard (probably the main suffering side were the Dutch because their trade on the Baltic was suffering from the Swedish privateers). How the “Northwestern” Russia could be “undermined” by the British ships sailing near its shores is not quite clear and, anyway, the time for this being effective is long gone: during the first stages of the GNW Russia seriously depended upon the weapons supplies from Amsterdam but in 1720s they already had their own production. OTOH, Russia already became an important supplier of the mast timber, hemp, flax and other items required for the naval needs so the attempts of doing too much of the “undermining” may turn to be a two-edged sword.

Swedish chances for reconquering the Baltic Provinces with the help of the British navy were too close to zero to be taken seriously and it is a big question if in 1727 Sweden recuperated enough to look for a new major war with Russia. In OTL it took 2 decades to make the 1st attempt and it was completely unsuccessful; even then the plans had been based upon the expected cooperation of the future empress of Russia and the Swedish troops did not get anywhere close to the Baltic Provinces.

Actually, Sweden could benefit from getting back Bremen-Verden from Hanover [1] or the part of Swedish Pomerania ceded to Prussia (Treaty of Stockholm).

_______
[1] In OP, IIRC, they are given to Hanover by Denmark.

220px-Frederick%2C_Prince_of_Wales_%28anonymous%29.jpg

Prince Frederick in 1720

Shortly after war seized almost the whole of Europe in the summer of 1727, the British-led Hanoverian Alliance realized just how unprepared it was for the war, or any war for that matter. A few weeks before the Hapsburg declaration of war, Britain's king, George I, had departed Britain for Brunswick-Luneburg, which marked his sixth tour of Brunswick-Luneburg since his succession to the British crown [1]. When George I left Britain he was by all accounts in good health. Additionally, as with all of George I's excursions out of Britain, a place had never grown to appreciate, he was also in good spirits. George I's trip first took him to Osnabruck where he visited his youngest brother, Ernest Augustus, Prince-Bishop of Osnabruck, Duke of York and Albany, and representative of the House of Hanover in Brunswick-Luneburg.

After discussing German affairs with Prince-Bishop Ernest Augustus, George I traveled to Herrenhausen Palace in Hanover where his eldest grandson, Prince Frederick Louis, resided, alone. Even though Prince Frederick or Griff as he was often called was second-in-line to the British throne, he had not been taken to Britain with the rest of his family in 1714. Nor had Griff even visited Britain as his grand-uncle, Ernest Augustus, did in 1716. Instead, Griff remained in Brunswick-Luneburg. Occasionally, Ernest Augustus visited but as Prince-Bishop of Osnabruck, he did have other affairs to attend to. George I also met with Griff each time he returned to Brunswick-Luneburg but George I was a hard man who had a hard time showing affection to any man and did not show much to Griff.

Even though George I never showed love to Griff, he did not disdain his grandson as he disdained his son. Although to others it may have seemed as if Griff had been kept in exile in Brunswick-Luneburg as some sort of punishment that was not the case. The main reason, Griff was restricted to Brunswick-Luneburg was that the Hanoverian dynasty needed to maintain a presence in the electorate to remind the inhabitants of who their overlords were. Due to Ernest Augustus' duties as Prince-Bishop of Osnabruck and George Augustus' role as Prince of Wales, neither of them could provide that presence. Naturally, the duty then fell to Griff even when he was just an eight-year-old child in 1715. The fact that Griff was given this role and more importantly retained this role even after reaching adulthood demonstrated the respect that George I held for Griff, especially in contrast to the scorn he showed to George Augustus.

After spending time with Griff, George I planned one more leg for his trip to the Continent. This third leg involved visiting his son-in-law, King Friedrich Wilhelm I in Prussia, so that George I could finalize and ratify negotiations for the marriage of Griff to his cousin, Princess Wilhelmine of Prussia. This marriage had been in the talks for around a decade and had growing support from all parties. Griff and Princess Wilhelmine had begun exchanging letters expressing their mutual feelings for one another. George I and Friedrich Wilhelm had viewed the marriage as the perfect way to solidify their alliance. Even George Augustus who personally hated Friedrich Wilhelm was favorable to the arrangement. The British Parliament was also found the marriage agreeable. In light of everyone rallying behind the marriage, it seemed likely that George I and Friedrich Wilhelm would be able to resolve any outstanding issues and consent to the match.

Before George I could leave Herrenhausen for Berlin to conclude these talks, news from Saint Petersburg and Vienna arrived informing George I that some incident in the Baltic had escalated into a full-blown war that meant to destroy Brunswick-Luneburg. The terrible surprise that this news constituted shook George I and visibly made him unwell. However, George I still retained enough strength to write to Friedrich Wilhelm to confirm Prussia's obligations to Britain and seal them by marrying Griff and Princess Wilhelmine immediately. Before George I's diplomats reached Berlin, however, the messengers of the Hapsburgs and Russia did. Rather than receive any positive affirmation from Friedrich Wilhelm, George I received a declaration of war, which shocked and shook George I so severely that he suffered a stroke and died the next day [2].

When news of George I's death arrived in Britain, George Augustus failed to believe it at first. Given George I's good health upon departure, George Augustus suspected some sort of loyalty test by his father and feared that if he did step up to take the throne that his father would try to use that act as a pretext to deny him part of all of his inheritance. Only the next day, after reading the official dispatches from Lord Charles Townshend, the Northern Secretary, did he accept the reality of his father's demise. Shortly afterward, George Augustus received Sir Robert Walpole, First Lord of the Treasury or prime minister in other words. Walpole asked George Augustus for instructions on how the king wished to proceed in regard to his father's death and the outbreak of war. Rather than propose any strategy, George Augustus bluntly replied that Walpole should go to Sir Spencer Compton, Speaker of the House of Commons, and that he would give Walpole his instructions. This statement was effectively a dismissal of the man who had led Britain for the past six years and opened a contest for the position of prime minister. Of course, this contest could not be resolved immediately since the British court first had to attend to establishing and crowning George Augustus as George II, King of Great Britain. Thus, the onset of war was met with by a leaderless British parliament and a fresh British king.

The competition for prime minister mainly occurred between Walpole, the recently dismissed prime minister; Townshend, the Northern Secretary; and Spencer Compton, the Paymaster of Forces [3]. For the past six years, Walpole's leadership had focused heavily on keeping Britain out of conflict. The Treaty of Hanover, which Walpole blamed for escalating tensions and ultimately causing the war, had actually been negotiated entirely by Townshend without Walpole's instruction or guidance. Walpole was only informed of the treaty after it was signed. Given this background, it surprised no one that Walpole did not want to lead Britain through a major war. Nevertheless, Walpole put himself forward as a candidate for leadership since he still felt that he was the best possible leader and that only he could navigate "Townshend's mess". Regarding Townshend, he originally had little interest in pursuing the premiership, however, in the face of war, many members of parliament felt that Townshend as the Northern Secretary and negotiator of the Treaty of Hanover was the most appropriate man to guide the war effort. As a result of this pressure from below, Townshend presented himself to King George II as a potential successor to Walpole. Lastly, there was Compton. Compton was not viewed by most as a particularly adept politician and his efforts to gain influence in British politics were mostly thwarted by Walpole. In spite of these impediments, Compton had one major advantage over both Walpole and Townshend. The advantage of Compton was that he was noted as a man of great will and energy, which contrasted with Walpole's disdain for the war and Townshend's uneagerness to command. For this reason, several politicians had offered their support to Compton rather than the other two, more senior candidates. Whatever the opinion of the members of parliament, however, the decision of who would lead Britain through the war fell to King George II, not anyone else.

Over the course of a few days, each man made known to George II their interest in being his prime minister. All of them gave speeches about their experience and their skill but the main matter of importance was, of course, their plans for the war. Walpole, out of his reluctance for war, spoke of only limited army operations to prevent the gall of Gibraltar and also defend Brunswick-Luneburg against a Russo-Prusso-Hapsburg attack. Navally, Walpole suggested that Britain should focus on protecting their interests in the Caribbean and the Baltic while also harassing Spanish and Austrian trade. Although this was certainly the most reasonable war plan, it failed to make any positive impression on George II. In spite of George II's fourteen-year-long absence from the Electorate of Brunswick-Luneburg, he was still deeply attached it and felt that Walpole's proposal fell short of ensuring its safety. Furthermore, after all the years that Walpole had spent repressing the influence and power of George II when he was just the Prince of Wales, George II did not care to give Walpole the benefit of doubt.

The next two candidates spoke of more serious British commitments to the war. Townshend echoed Walpole's focus on Gibraltar, Brunswick-Luneburg, the Caribbean, and the Baltic but in each region advocated for the use of a larger force and the pursuit of grander goals. As the Northern Secretary, Townshend also focused heavily on his experience as a diplomat to push forth ideas to break up the Viennese Alliance and to gain further allies in the war such as Portugal. This strategy was received well by George II but George II did not wholly buy into it. Like Walpole, Townshend had served as part of George I's government and had cooperated with George I closely to design the Treaty of Hanover. This connection to George II's hated father disadvantaged Townshend and left room for Compton to steal the show with calls for massive, unrealistic military commitments to the Low Countries and Brunswick-Luneburg. Whereas George II felt nothing for Gibraltar or the Caribbean, George II strongly believed in the necessity of a powerful British army in northern Europe to win the war and prevent Brunswick-Luneburg's destruction. Compton's attention toward that line of thought and his lack of strong association with George II won him the position of prime minister over both Walpole and Townshend [4].

Shortly after Compton's victory over Walpole and Townshend, the death of George I forced Compton to lead the Whigs through a parliamentary election against the Tories and Patriot Whigs over the course of August and October. However, this election was never in doubt even with the change of leadership. The Tories were still plagued by the taint of Jacobite-traitors and sympathizers. In fact, the Tory leaders, Henry St John, Viscount of Bolingbroke, and Sir William Wyndham had both participated in Jacobite plots in the past and been caught. Only the mercy of George I allowed St John to return to Britain from exile and Wyndham to avoid life imprisonment. Meanwhile, the Patriot Whigs were still organizing themselves as a political association and could not offer any meaningful resistance. Thus, the Whigs cruised to an easy victory and even gained seats from the Tories.

Given the obvious outcome, Compton did not wait for the elections to occur before he made his first move as prime minister. In July, Compton approached parliament and attempted to make good on his promise to George II by requesting that parliament appropriate the funds to raise and support an army of 70,000 men, the likes of which Britain had seen since the War of the Grand Alliance. These soldiers were to fight across the Continent, defending Gibraltar, invading Galicia, campaigning in the Low Countries, and saving Brunswick-Luneburg. Immediately, the Opposition of Tories and Patriot Whigs and many of Compton's own allies fiercely attached the proposal. Some pointed to the potential for tyranny but most simply spoke about the outrageous costs. Although many in parliament were concerned about the Russo-Austro-Spanish alliance, few were concerned to the extent that they felt that 70,000 men and four distinct campaigns were necessary. Instead, after much debate and compromise, Compton and parliament compromised on a smaller but still impressive force of 46,000 men. 20,000 of these men would immediately be availed for the protection of Brunswick Luneburg, 12,000 were to be dispatched to the Netherlands to augment the Dutch army, and a final 14,000 would be raised solely to defend the British Isles against any potential Jacobite attack. Even with this army amounting to tens of thousands of soldiers abroad, some, especially Compton and George II, worried that it would not be enough.

Across the English Channel, in France, Walpole's reluctance for war was shared by Cardinal Fleury, the leading man in Versailles. However, unlike Walpole, Fleury did not lose his position of power over that reluctance. As it stood, France had spent nearly a century in a constant state of war and it had paid the price in blood and gold for it. Although France had greatly expanded under the leadership of King Louis XIV, it had also been financially and politically exhausted. For this reason, Fleury and most of the French court were wary of plunging deep into yet another major European war. The only reason that Fleury had accepted the British call to arms was that he shared Britain's fear of a Russo-Hapsburg alliance dominating Germany and threatening France's eastern flank. Still, Fleury's lack of enthusiasm for the war was obvious and impacted how France decided to carry out its war effort. Under Fleury's guidance, France chose to raise only 100,000 men. Even though this army was more than twice as large as that of Britain's, France's population is also three times the size of Britain's. Regarding the high seas, Fleury only authorized an impressive and limited "guerre de course" or war against commerce. As Fleury saw it, the days of French naval hegemony had elapsed and there was no need to act otherwise.

The disclination for war in Britain and France was significant but it paled in comparison to the practical hostility that the Dutch Republic viewed their commitment to the war with. The Dutch had joined the Hanoverian Alliance out of their irritation with the Hapsburg Ostend Company that was trying to usurp the commercial place of the Dutch Republic. However, the Dutch had never expected a war to actually occur. Much like Townshend and Fleury, the Dutch had believed that the Hanoverian Alliance would overawe the Hapsburgs and prevent conflict entirely. In all honesty, the alliance had managed to keep the Hapsburgs in check for half a year after Spain charged into war and even facilitated Anglo-Hapsburg negotiations. However, in the end, Russia and Britain's mutual acrimony pushed the Hapsburgs and also the Dutch into this unwanted war.

Confronted with the reality of a continental war, the States-General of the Dutch Republic severely regretted the misfortunes that brought them to this point. Some pointed out that the Ostend Company was not a critical threat so long as the Dutch held the mouth of the Scheldt and questioned their earlier haste in acceding to the Hanoverian Alliance. Many in the Republic feared that if they fought against the Hapsburgs that they would only hurt their own interests by weakening the buffer between the Netherlands and France. Although the French were now friendly toward the Republic, the Dutch remembered a time when that had not been the case and remembered it with horror. Motivated by these second thoughts, the Dutch deliberately undermined their war effort in the hope of avoiding a French army in Brussels or a complete alienate of the Hapsburgs. For the sake of appearances, the Dutch raised the required army of 30,000 men but did nothing more.

To the south, the Savoyard Kingdom of Sardinia was much more willing to fight this war than its Atlantic allies. King Victor Amadeus of Sardinia had spent decades attempting to turn his Italian duchy into a true European power. Savoy's role in the Anglo-Hapsburg victory in the War of the Spanish Succession marked the end of Savoy's subservience to France and the House of Savoy's ascension to a royal title, the Kings of Sicily. Within a decade, however, the Savoyards found themselves powerless to stop the Spaniards from seizing Sicily and the Quadruple Alliance from turning Sicily over to the Hapsburgs without ever broaching the topic to the Savoyards. The only compensation that the Savoyards received for the loss of the mighty kingdom of Sicily was the impoverished, poorly populated Kingdom of Sardinia. This latest war provided Victor Amadeus with another opportunity to amend his situation. By fighting the Hapsburgs alongside Britain and France, Victor Amadeus thought it was possible for him to not only recover Sicily but also to reconquer Naples and Milan. If he succeeded in all these goals then the Savoyards' powerbase would be greatly expanded and Victor Amadeus would become a truly powerful king whose rights and opinions demanded respect. For this reason, Victor Amadeus was more than happy to muster an army of 24,000 men, which was outsized relative to his limited northern Italian realm.

While the Atlantic members of the Hanoverian Alliance hesitated at the thought of war and Sardinia lustful lunged at the opportunity to gain land and glory, the Baltic countries of Brunswick-Luneburg, Denmark-Norway, and Sweden had nothing but survival on their minds. In Brunswick-Luneburg, the very specific threat that Empress Catherine I of Russia had directed toward the electorate was acknowledged with a state of panic. The recent death of the former elector, George I, and the absence of the new elector, George II, did little to mollify this unsettled sentiment. Under these conditions, Brunswick-Luneburg needed a leader and the local officials selected the senior-head of the House of Hanover in Germany, Ernest Augustus, to fulfill that role. Reluctantly, Ernest Augustus accepted the position since his obligations as Prince-Bishop of Osnabruck had previously and frequently divided his attention.

In recognition of possibly being distracted by Osnabruck's affairs, Ernest Augustus raised his grand-nephew, the 20-year-old Griff, now heir to the British and Brunswick thrones, to the position of his second. Although formally, Griff was subordinate to Ernest Augustus, Griff was given much more authority and power than one would expect for a man of his youth. As Ernest Augustus saw it, Griff was a respectable and well-educated man who was well-acquainted with Brunswick-Luneburg, whereas Ernest Augustus had grown somewhat estranged with his birthplace over recent years. Both the raising of Ernest Augustus and Griff to positions of leadership in Brunswick-Luneburg occurred without consulting the new elector, George II, as a consequence of the urgency of preparing for war. In spite of Ernest Augustus' diminished familiarity with Brunswick-Luneburg and Griff's inexperience, the pair made for more than adequate leadership in this time of crisis. Guided by Ernest Augustus' steady experience, Griff's youthful energy was put to use rallying the nobility of Brunswick-Luneburg and putting together an army of nearly 20,000 men.

Word of this arrangement and these preparations for war took George II surprised the British and especially the royal family a great deal. Although the British recognized Brunswick-Luneburg as separate from Britain and viewed it as George I's realm, they were still surprised with its independent organization for war. George II was more significantly affected by the news. George II had not seen his uncle, Ernest Augustus, in twelve years and had not seen his eldest son, Griff, in fourteen years. George II also had not corresponded much to either of those men during those periods of time. Thus, George II was striking unfamiliar with either man and viewed their actions as edging toward a usurpation of his rightful role as Elector of Brunswick-Luneburg. The fact that both men were closer to George II's father, who he hated even in death did not help their cases. Only, the intervention of Compton and Queen Caroline prevented George II from taking some sort of action against Ernest Augustus and Griff as the former pair were able to convince George II that the latter pair meant no harm and that in fact, their leadership in Germany was necessary to avoid disaster. Ultimately, George II chose to purchase 15,000 Hessians to augment the defense of Brunswick-Luneburg.

To the north, in Denmark-Norway, the Danes and Norwegians were not nearly as panicked as the Brunswickers were. For years the Danes and Norwegians had managed to avoid any real confrontation over the issue of Holstein-Schleswig due to Britain's repeated interference in Denmark-Norway's favor. The Battle of Osel and the start of the war, of course, changed that. Even though Denmark-Norway had peacefully evaded war for years they had never failed to be ready to fight one. Ever since the thorough wallop of the Danes at the very beginning of the Great Northern War, Denmark-Norway had rebuilt its army and honed it to prevent the next conflict from being anywhere near as disastrous. As a consequence, when Denmark-Norway rejoined the Great Northern War they not only blunted King Charles XII of Sweden's invasion of Norway but they slew the would-be conqueror. Now, with a new war at hand, the Danes and Norwegians were prepared to deliver a similar bloody rejection to Russian attacks on Danish territory.

Once war broke out, Denmark-Norway immediately reinforced its garrisons in Holstein and began the process of raising more men to join those garrisons and supplement an army. Ultimately, Denmark-Norway expected to support a field army of 44,000 men, which was quite large. Given the Danish-Norwegian prowess at war, the court at Copenhagen felt reasonably comfortable that this army would be sufficient to stop the Russians. However, when news arrived that the Prussians had betrayed the Hanoverian Alliance and joined the Russians that perspective changed. Without the Prussians, Denmark-Norway began to worry that they might actually encounter difficulty in fighting and winning the war. For this reason, Denmark-Norway celebrated the quick and effective assumption of leadership in Brunswick-Luneburg by Ernest Augustus and Griff.

In Sweden, the decision to go to war had very clearly been a hasty one. Being the closest Hanoverian Alliance member to the Battle of Osel, the Swedes heard first hand from Admiral John Norris his account of the battle. Consequently, the Swedes were still disposed to view the battle as a Russian victory and rather saw it as a British-favored draw. When the British sent orders of relief to Admiral Norris they also sent diplomats to encourage and provoke a Swedish response to Russian hostility. The unbridled British promises of material support, a British army in the Baltic, a sustained British naval presence near Stockholm and Helsingfors, subsidies, and outright bribes allowed the calls of the Holsteiner Party and other peace factions to be suppressed and Sweden to declare war.

Soon after Sweden declared war, its politicians realized their grave miscalculation and felt immense regret. While the Swedes had eaten up the British fawning without too much thought they had failed to realize the significance of Prussia's delay in fulfilling its commitment to the Hanoverian Alliance or speaking on the manner. Once Sweden discovered that Prussia had defected to the Viennese Alliance, Sweden was seized with the same sense of panic as Brunswick-Luneburg. Every calculation that the Swedes had made when rationalizing their war effort had involved a faithful Prussia tying down tens of thousands of Russians. Instead, the Swedes were confronted with the possibility of facing an unaccosted Russia and also being besieged in Germany by a traitorous Prussia. The situation grew from bad to worse when Compton's grandiose war strategy was cut down to a more reasonable size that left Sweden feeling dangerously exposed and alone.

In contrast to Denmark-Norway, although Sweden had won the beginning of the Great Northern War they had lost the end and lost the end very hard. After two decades of fighting, Sweden had lost almost 250,000 men, lost almost all their Baltic possessions, and had Finland and even parts of Sweden pillaged and destroyed. Whereas Denmark-Norway could comfortably raise more than 40,000 men, Sweden would need to scrap the bottom of the barrel to do the same. This weakness was in the face of Russia's innate military power that consisted of hundreds of thousands of soldiers capable of swarming Finland and Prussia's military progression that might suffocate Swedish Pomerania. This was the terrifying reality that Sweden had stumbled into. Still, for the stake of honor and out of vain hope, the Swedes did not immediately sue for peace and submit themselves to the mercy of Russia. The Swedes believed that perhaps a defensive strategy in Finland and Pomerania could hold back the Russians and Prussians long enough for Britain to rally more allies and turn back the eastern expansionists. Perhaps Sweden could even reclaim Livonia.

Given the apparently dire straits to which the Hanoverian Alliance opens Empress Catherine's War, it is important to understand two things. First and foremost is the importance of Prussia to the Hanoverian Alliance. One of the Treaty of Hanover's original signors had been the Kingdom of Prussia and up until Prussia's betrayal, there had been little doubt among the Hanoverian Alliance members that Prussia would honor the alliance. Prussia's late switch to the Viennese camp completely ruined the strategic thinking and planning that had gone into the Hanoverian Alliance. Without Prussia, the Hanoverian Alliance was immediately deprived of a field army of 65,000 of the Continent's finer soldiers. Furthermore, with Prussia's betrayal, those 65,000 finer soldiers were not fighting against the Hanoverian Alliance. Additionally, without the support of Prussia, a major threat to the Hapsburgs in Germany was removed and instead was redirected against Brunswick-Luneburg. Accordingly, the Hapsburgs could focus elsewhere if they wanted to and the Russian march to the west would be completely unopposed. To be honest, the complete failure of the British to account for this possibility is a major failure of their foreign policy. Prussia had long been a loyalist to the Holy Roman Emperor so to expect Prussia to actually wage war on the Holy Roman Emperor was always a bit of a gamble. On top of that, the Hapsburgs and Russia's combined land presence in the region was far superior to anything the Hanoverian Alliance could produce. Thus, if Prussia opposed the Viennese Alliance then it stood a good chance of suffering severe damage or even defeat. In particular, isolated Ducal Prussia would surely be destroyed by the advancing Russian horde. Overall, Britain's failure to perceive the possibility of Prussia's betrayal gave Britain and its allies, especially Sweden, an aura of overconfidence that allowed them to led themselves into a war that they otherwise might have thought about more seriously.

The second mistake of the Hanoverian Alliance was that outside of its core, it was very loose and vague in its obligations. Even among its core members, the formal arrangements did leave some room for interpretation. For this reason, each member of the alliance was able to overestimate their allies' strength and willingness to fight. In Britain, France, and the Dutch Republic, a severe reluctance to fight had limited the size of armies and scope of campaigns. Yet each of these countries and the other members of the alliance had not expected all three of these powers to act in that manner. Instead, they had allowed themselves to believe that their allies would contribute more men and more seriously to the war effort. For Britain, this created concerns that the French would not sufficiently subdue the Spanish and save Gibraltar. For the French, the concern was that the Hapsburgs might lead a concentrated attack on Alsace. For the Dutch, the worry was that the French rather than the English would play the leading role in the Low Countries. In Germany, the Brunswickers had been led to believe that the British, Danes, Prussians, and Hessians would create some defensive cordon. For the Danes, they had thought Britain, Brunswick-Luneburg, and Prussia would keep the Russians at bay. For the Swedes, the thought was they would get to fight a periphery campaign against a limited Russian army.

[1] Given George I's predilection for going to Brunswick-Luneburg and his avoidance of cabinet meetings toward the end of his reign, I do not see any reason to cancel his OTL 1727 trip to Brunswick-Luneburg. Accordingly, the trip still happens with the same route and plan.
[2] My ideology for alternate history leans toward some restricted and regulated version of chaos theory. For that reason, I do not think it would congruent to have George I die of a stroke at the same time as OTL. Instead, he lives a little longer. However, if his health was poor to allow a stroke then I think he very well still could have suffered one. Considering the shock involved with Britain suddenly being engulfed in a continental war and Brunswick-Luneburg specifically being threatened I feel that it is reasonable to say that those events could trigger a stroke or heart attack for George I.
[3] In OTL, the primary candidates were Walpole and Compton. In TTL Townshend gets much more of a chance because of his foreign affairs leadership and experience as well as his personal hand in creating the Treaty of Hanover. Also In TTL, Walpole's candidacy is weaker due to his unfavorable opinion of war and Compton's stronger for that same reason.
[4] OTL Walpole won the prime ministership by offering George II more money for his family without any political concessions. TTL money is not enough to win George II and Walpole's approach toward war is insufficient. Townshend loses out mainly because relative to Compton he offered less and he also was tied to George I. Thus, Compton is able to come out on top in spite of the risk that his lack of experience carries.

Word Count: 4899

Last edited:
So this time around I diverged from the OTL death of George I to keep in line with my ideology for alternate history and I also went to greater lengths to explain Sweden's miscalculation. Additionally, in the original, I neglected Ernest Augustus, so in the revised version he gets a bigger focus.

Last edited:

Mountain

Banned
What the position of the Ottoman empire since if it's pro British it could keep busy a large part of the austrian a d Russian armies