Balkanized Iran after ww2?

How much could Iran get balkanized after the second world War? I have read that the Soviets and the British occupied different zones of the country in that war. Could this have formed the basis of a "north Iran" and "south Iran"? What about when/if the Revolution happens? Could there be a Pahlavid Iran next to an Islamic Republic of Iran?

How much could Iran get balkanized after the second world War? I have read that the Soviets and the British occupied different zones of the country in that war. Could this have formed the basis of a "north Iran" and "south Iran"? What about when/if the Revolution happens? Could there be a Pahlavid Iran next to an Islamic Republic of Iran?
I believe that the Soviet zone was split into 4 on ethnic lines; Kurdish, Azeri, Turkmen and one that would be like a North Iran.

If that stuck (which would require a different relationship between Stalin and the allies), the Brits might give Khuzestan to Iraq or Kuwait and Baluchistan to Pakistan.

I believe that the Soviet zone was split into 4 on ethnic lines; Kurdish, Azeri, Turkmen and one that would be like a North Iran.

If that stuck (which would require a different relationship between Stalin and the allies), the Brits might give Khuzestan to Iraq or Kuwait and Baluchistan to Pakistan.
I was going to write something similar.

It depends, Iran can be far more Balkanized, Baluchistan can be given to Pakistan , Khuzeistan can be given to Iraq if the British and US want to strengthen their allies.

You could also create a independent Turkmenistan set up to encourage separatism in the USSR.

Likewise you could see the USSR set up a ''independent Kurdistan democratic republic'' as it is less likely to start a war when troops go over to ''libertate'' Syria, Iraqi and Turkish Kurds.

Azeris might be straight up annexed into the USSR though to prevent separatism and make the USSR stronger.

Edit if possible Kurdish areas could also be given to Iraq if the USSR does not have them/want to trade it for other provinces.

Last edited:
I very much doubt you see a timeline like the OTL with a Iran a rump state if that and a stronger Iraq and Pakistan.

Most likely Iraq due to geographic distance (although Iraq's anti-British government was supported by the Axis so it is maybe unlikely).
If a Shiite Islamic revolution does occur however they would have claims all over Iraq, Kuwait (which is 40% Shia minimum) and Iran, USSR and would have tremendous support from both ironically Persian and perhaps Kurdish groups.

Iraq is the most likely center given Dawa party was created in the 50s and their should be hundreds of thousands of religious faithful, Persians, clergy ect fleeing Iran to Iraq and set up shop hoping to reclaim their homeland like the Palestinians.

So maybe the Soviet Afghan war spreads all over the central Asian Republics? You know with Persian Tajiks, Tat, Azeris ect all present.

North-South Iran division is possible but I doubt that there would be futher balkanisation. Why Brits and Soviets would do that? And even for north-south division there probably should be different relationships between Soviet Union and the West.