Our Cultural Mosaic: A More Diverse Canada

As many people on this site, I've always got a few ideas for TLs or scenarios bouncing around.

Canadian history is by no means by only interest, but it may be my area of greatest expertise. I also find the development of modern day Quebecois politics from some old British guarantees to be fascinating, especially in light of our modern multiculturalism policy.

Several of my TLs and scenarios are "what ifs" about different groups settling in OTL Canada, receiving guarantees from the government, and surviving (generally less successfully than the Canadiens) to the modern day.

So now I've hit upon the idea of a grander TL which might, although it makes it extremely implausible, also make it more interesting for readers.

So the base premise here is a Canada which has MORE than the current ten provinces.

The more, the better.

The more provinces that have a distinct ethnic minority associated with them as well, the better!

IOTL the Spanish briefly had an outpost on Vancouver Island. In an ATL of mine, this becomes the "Northernmost California mission" and becomes the home of a Spanish empire Loyalist colony until it is sold to Britain sometime after the USA takes Mexico, around the time of an alt-Crimean conflict.

I have also been researching about the possibility of a continued Gaelic presence in North America, centered on Cape Breton remaining a separate colony from Nova Scotia after 1820.

To help keep the area Gaelic, I was toying with the idea of Selkirk focusing his efforts on the Maritimes, rather than the Red River Colony.

IOTL Quebec and Ontario started much smaller and were expanded considerably as the nation grew into the former Ruperts Land; I could see the original areas of Quebec and Ontario split into as many as 7 or 8 provinces (including a national capital region).

One of these new provinces would be OTL Southwestern Ontario, which could be the focus of early Black Loyalist settlement (the idea being to use a group which would definitely not want to join the Americans to settle the least defended border areas at the time).

Without Selkirk's settlers, at the time of joining Canada, Manitoba (which was originally also smaller than today) would be more French and Metis - so the possible seed of a Metis colony/province.

There were many different ways to divide the Prairie provinces, but perhaps splitting off the Northern areas to create a First Nations province or territory (so that there are provinces/territories for each of three identified aboriginal groups: Inuit in Nunavut, First Nations in an expanded NWT; Metis in a smaller Manitoba?). Joining the 4 European language groups (Spanish on VI; French in Quebec; Gaelic on the East Coast and English generally) and Southwest Ontario which is the focus of, and has most progressive laws regarding, African-Canadian settlement.

As a bonus, there should of course be more lenient laws for people of Asian descent to settle at least on the BC mainland; and less anti-Semitism means that an appropriate number of Jewish settlers arrive with the Eastern Europeans to the prairies in the 1896-1913 waves of immigration.

This could lead to a mass influx of refugees during the 1930s and 1940s, potentially creating a Yiddish province on the prairies in say, Central Saskatchewan.

Any interest in this? Any other groups who could be included? I know having all these provinces in the same country is basically ASB, but I tried to have at least some plausible explanations of how these provinces could develop historically. (And then of course I jammed them all into the same TL).

Which groups could have established and sustained ethnic settlements in Canada? Which areas of the country could be their own provinces?

Interesting idea. Curiously, I've recently learned about British attempts to hire Russian mercenaries to fight the American Revolution, rather than the infamous Hessians, and have been pondering on how descendants from Russian mercenaries stranded in Canada after the war would evolve in the country. Three languages, three religions.

As for the Russians, a Canada which incorporates Alaska would be able to do something with this.

How about a concentrated region of German-speakers, or Scandinavians, not unlike the US Midwest?

As for the Russians, a Canada which incorporates Alaska would be able to do something with this.

How about a concentrated region of German-speakers, or Scandinavians, not unlike the US Midwest?
Yes! I've just read that Icelandic immigrants had self government from 1875 to 1887 of 110 sq km of land on the western shore of Lake Winnipeg. In modern day Saskatchewan, more than 10% of the population claim Scandinavian ancestry! And over 25% German.

And I hadn't even really thought of Alaska, which if it went Canadian may have received fewer immigrants before opening of the West, and could therefore be more Slavic today!

Ficboy

Banned
For a balkanized Canada, the National Capital Region/Ottawa could become a federal district akin to Washington DC/District of Columbia in the United States. The Maritime provinces could unite together and form a new province, Cape Breton could be partitioned into its own province separate from Nova Scotia given the cultural differences, Labrador could break off from Newfoundland and become a province and Nunavut alongside the Yukon Provinces could also evolve into fully-fledged Canadian provinces.

For a balkanized Canada, the National Capital Region/Ottawa could become a federal district akin to Washington DC/District of Columbia in the United States. The Maritime provinces could unite together and form a new province, Cape Breton could be partitioned into its own province separate from Nova Scotia given the cultural differences, Labrador could break off from Newfoundland and become a province and Nunavut alongside the Yukon Provinces could also evolve into fully-fledged Canadian provinces.
The area that's currently Saskatchewan and Alberta was previously 4 separate Districts of the NWT (Athabasca, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Assiniboia).

Vancouver Island could be separate from the BC mainland, which could lose the Peace River country in the Northeast (and on the other side of the continental divide) to Athabasca, the Stikine region could join Yukon, and the Interior could be separated to form a new Okanagan or Kootenay province...the areas of Northern Ontario, Manitoba and Quebec could be divided into Ungava, Keewatin, and Timiskaming (with Timiskaming being OTL northeastern Ontario and Abitibi, another bilingual province).
While southern Ontario and Quebec could each be split into 3 with a National Capital Region around Ottawa...Labrador as a territory and Cape Breton as a province...I think I'm up to 27 Provinces and territories with this.

And that doesnt include Alaska, Hawaii, or the British Caribbean which are potential add-ons...

Interesting idea. Curiously, I've recently learned about British attempts to hire Russian mercenaries to fight the American Revolution, rather than the infamous Hessians, and have been pondering on how descendants from Russian mercenaries stranded in Canada after the war would evolve in the country. Three languages, three religions.
Sounds like a great idea! Thanks!

I have a crazy idea. Instead of the United States expand to the west, a real anti-colonial sentiment makes the americans to kick the british out of the american continent, they conquer Canada and British Columbia and balkanize it in several provinces. Make Québec as an independent entity as well, protected by them.

They can make like 20 provinces of these new conquered territories

I have a crazy idea. Instead of the United States expand to the west, a real anti-colonial sentiment makes the americans to kick the british out of the american continent, they conquer Canada and British Columbia and balkanize it in several provinces. Make Québec as an independent entity as well, protected by them.

They can make like 20 provinces of these new conquered territories
Sure! Weve got 28 or more listed in the thread above. But if the USA conquers Canada (and leaves Quebec independent), it's hard to see them develop distinct ethnic, religious or linguistic cultures.

You want more provinces? Let's add Alaska! Stickeen! Michigan! New Ireland! Kewatin! Barbados! The Capital District!
Thanks for the post! The OP was specifically about dividing the current Canada into more provinces; but the possibility of adding has been opened as well. Have addressed all these possibilities above, except Michigan! Thanks!

Could there be separate Nunavut-style provinces/territories for different native groups? Or at least groups of them?
Yes! I'm thinking Manitoba or Saskatchewan becomes identified as a Metis province, Keewatin territory would be predominately Cree; Athabasca may also be predominately indigenous depending where the boundaries are drawn; Ungava territory could actually be Kativik (for Inuit) and Jamesie (for Cree).

Of course, there could be dozens of smaller provinces or territories for indigenous communities across the country

Yes! I've just read that Icelandic immigrants had self government from 1875 to 1887 of 110 sq km of land on the western shore of Lake Winnipeg. In modern day Saskatchewan, more than 10% of the population claim Scandinavian ancestry! And over 25% German.

The thing is, the British need an incentive to create colonies for these people. They want them to become loyal British subjects, they don't want them to form new versions of their European homelands. Québec was a fait accompli, a place with an established settler population they inherited. They would never have chosen to create a francophone colony from nothing.

They can create new colonies but are not going to do so on ethnic lines unless they find themselves in a situation of great political tension, like if they face a rebellion they can't defeat.

How about separating the Eastern Townships and the Greater Montreal area from Quebec?
This is probably the easiest to achieve from Ontario and Quebec. This area was proposed to be annexed to Upper Canada after the troubles in 1836. Have that get pushed through and have it push for a separate provincial status when the two provinces become unmerged later.