Bad Flag Thread

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
*Vomits*

Were they trying to copy Hungary?
Or was Hungary trying to copy the Chartists?

I mean, it's a good flag, all in all. A little boring, but it represents what it means to represent well. Usually it's not this bright, mind. In person it's a bit more toned down.

So I noticed theirs no "proper" image file of the flag of my hometown anywhere on the internet, so I made it, and ofc the text filled flag within a flag monstrosity still looks bad

White Plains City Flag.png

Heres the explinations:

The flag in the flag (ugh just saying it is wrong) is the White Plains battle flag, which consists of a Liberty hat on a pole and a sword, was used by troops during the Battle of White Plains

1683: White Plains was purchased from local natives by New English Puritans from the New Haven colony
1776: Battle of White Plains & Location of the New York congress', ratification of the declaration of independence
1915: year White Plains was approved to be upgraded from a village to a city
Semper Fidelis: The city motto

Colors: The Buff background and Blue text were adopted from the colors of the New York/New Jersey regiments of the Continental Army
(though today the cities unofficial colors are black and orange)

Last edited:
It saddens me that all of Indonesia's provincial flags went with the "seal on a bedsheet" approach that many US states took:

North Sumatra
320px-Flag_of_North_Sumatra.svg.png

Bangka-Belitung
320px-Bangka_belitung_Indonesia_Flag.png

Southeast Sulawesi
320px-Flag_of_Southeast_Sulawesi.svg.png

And it especially bothers me because there are quite a few provinces with links to historical kingdoms that have perfectly serviceable flags.

Like, look at Banten for instance.
320px-Banten_Indonesia_Flag.png

(Boo, hiss)

Here's a depiction of the flag of the old Sultanate of Banten which existed in the same area.
image004.jpg

It's a decent flag! Maybe it needs to be simplified to something like this, but still.
Flag_of_Bantam.png

And Aceh, whose regional identity is so strong there was a whole damn ~30 year insurgent separatist conflict there that could only be stopped by Aceh getting hit by a tsunami.
320px-Aceh_Indonesia_Flag.png

Just use the old flag of the Aceh Sultanate!
320px-Flag_of_the_Aceh_Sultanate.png

Or hell, even the flag of the separatists! At least it's a good design.
320px-Flag_of_Aceh.svg.png

Bridgeport_flag.png

Seal on a bedsheet flag? Check. Way to busy seal? Check. Ugly font showing the name of the place? Check. A dark blue backround? Check.