Awesome WW2 experimental Aircraft

IMG_6536.JPG

The Junkers Jet Bomber Project of 1945

Whata beautiful bird. What engine did it had ?
091014 335.png

The Irbitis designer went on to Quebec, where he designed a control system for a short-lived VTOL aircraft at Canadair. The Walter Sagitta engine was the powerplant, and the aircraft would have been a shoe-in for a PT6A, with much more power and much less weight. The same engine powered the push-pull Fokker D.XXIII.

Driftless

Donor
View attachment 352847

The Irbitis designer went on to Quebec, where he designed a control system for a short-lived VTOL aircraft at Canadair. The Walter Sagitta engine was the powerplant, and the aircraft would have been a shoe-in for a PT6A, with much more power and much less weight. The same engine powered the push-pull Fokker D.XXIII.

Candidates for a post-war pylon racing class!

Fisher_XP-75-GM_In_flight_%28SN_43-46950%2C_1st_aircraft_built%29_061024-F-1234P-043.jpg

The Fisher P-75 Eagle, it has 10 machine guns and extremely high rate of climb.

XP-81.jpg

and the XP-81, it has turbojet and turboprop engines combined.

...... Indiana Jones ..... Also the Arado-like attackers in a later Indy movie, complete down to the pitch change vanes on the spinners.

Dynasoar[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------------------------

Those Arado-like airplanes were played by Pilatus P-2 trainers built in Switzerland after WW2. Pilatus production incorporated genuine vane-propellers bolted to genuine Argus 410 engines salvaged from Nazi-surplus WW2 production. P-2 production also included undercarriage salvaged from Me109 fighters.

Archibald, #48,

You asked if there was documentation for the tip-turbine development of the Vought XF5U follow-on. I learned of it during a discussion with the Vought engineer assigned to the Regulus II program at Point Mugu NAS in 1963. The subject was whether the unmanned aircraft could be zoom-climbed to an altitude record employing the dynamic performance optimization methodology developed by my company, and demonstrated earlier with the F-104. (No, later computer simulations indicated too much drag during the pre-zoom pitchup.) Lots of napkin sketches at the O-Club, also by the Navy project officer and the GE rep who also attended.

Seems to me there was mention of Vought and possibly Ryan in a later "Air Progress" article on the unsuccessful Lockheed and Convair Navy VTOL prototypes.

Dynasoar