W116.0201973–1980280 S sedan2.8 L M110 I6122,848
W116.0241973–1980280 SE sedan2.8 L M110 I6150,593
W116.0251974–1980280 SEL sedan2.8 L M110 I67,032
W116.0281973–1980350 SE sedan3.5 L M116 V851,100
W116.0291973–1980350 SEL sedan3.5 L M116 V84,266
W116.0321973–1980450 SE sedan4.5 L M117 V841,604
W116.0331973–1980450 SEL sedan4.5 L M117 V859,578
W116.0361975–1980450 SEL 6.96.9 L M100 V87,380
I look at that, & I see the chance for Jag selling 90-100,000 V8s (350SE, 350SEL, & 450SE), with the V12 taking on the 450SEL & 450SEL 6.9.

I'm also not sure you can directly compare Jag & Benz... Given the "feel" of the Jag, I'd be aiming at the Bimmers more than the Benzes.

I may be too wedded to V8s...but the step from straight six to V12 feels pretty steep to me.

I look at that, & I see the chance for Jag selling 90-100,000 V8s (350SE, 350SEL, & 450SE), with the V12 taking on the 450SEL & 450SEL 6.9.

I'm also not sure you can directly compare Jag & Benz... Given the "feel" of the Jag, I'd be aiming at the Bimmers more than the Benzes.

I may be too wedded to V8s...but the step from straight six to V12 feels pretty steep to me.
Well,but 90k-10k in 8 year was not a big volume
about 12k per year,about 7k perV12 year at the same time
I must emphasize that the Jagua’s V12 production line could produce at least 50K per year, and it is reported that it can reach 100k per year

On the other hand, Mercedes Benz provides 3.5v8 because 4.5v8 is too big for the European market.
A V8 larger than 4L can't really match,It would more appropriate to use 3.6L L6 matching

I give the example of Mercedes Benz because only Mercedes Benz has such a large engine
The biggest BMW engine was 3.3/3.5L6,the basic L6 could match it

Last edited:

I agree that there was a big gap between L6 and V12,But I don't think it's necessary to fill it
I means that the prices of these cars are so high that there are so few people could afford them that it's impossible to make an extra engine economical
Mercedes does have 3.5 and 4.5v8, but they don't offer 3.5 in the United States
because the price range can't accommodate three engines, and it's uneconomic to pay for the certification fee
What's the difference for Jaguar?
The The L6 can match most of BMW and Mercedes Benz,and meet the needs of most people
If you want something more exclusive and can pay more, what could be better than a V12
If really want something between the L6 and V12, the 24 V or turbo / supercharge will not only be much cheaper, but also more exotic than the V8

Last edited:
I agree that there was a big gap between L6 and V12,But I don't think it's necessary to fill it

If really want something between the L6 and V12, the 24 V or turbo / supercharge will not only be much cheaper, but also more exotic than the V8
I disagree slightly with the first part, but a 24v six is the better option.
Well,but 90k-10k in 8 year was not a big volume
about 12k per year,about 7k per year at the same time
I must emphasize that the Jagua’s V12 production line could produce at least 50K per year, and it is reported that it can reach 100k per year
That's the best argument yet, for me.

I'm sold.

I disagree slightly with the first part, but a 24v six is the better option.

That's the best argument yet, for me.

I'm sold.
The problem of 24V was that it may be a bit early for the 1970s
Triumph did offer the world's first mass-produced 4-Valve engine in 1973, but reliability was a disaster
I think the best route is V12 at 6.4l from the beginning(It is said that experimental 6.4L has better fuel economy than 5.3L)
And produce two related slant-6
a 3.2L SOHC as an introduction ,replace the 2.8/3.4L XK6
a 3.6L DOCH(had a different head)as main sales,replace the 4.2L XK6
a 6.4L SHOC V12 at the top
Only 3.6L and 6.4l are available in the United States
By the late 1970s,the 3.6 Slant6 could got 24 V or turbocharged to fill the gap

The biggest difference between the Jaguar V12 and the V12 of Mercedes and BMW was
It was designed in the 1960s,a time before the Oil Crisis、CAFE 、 emission regulations and runaway inflation
A time when Cadillac use 8.0L engine and had the similar price with Jaguar and Mercedes
The Jaguar V12 was designed as the main sales engine
Jaguar's OTL plan is to provide V12 for the United States and 3.5L 60 ° V8 for Europe.
However, they finally found that the 60 ° V8 could not meet their nhv requirements and the manufacturing cost was higher than V12 Because they have to use double balancing shafts

Last edited:
I am saying the Borgward-badged Austin (or Morris, or whatever) should be restyled--if the local market wants it enough.
It's possible,Because borgward would definitely made bodies
Restyled doesn't have to be expensive——They need separate tools anyway
But I thought Pan European style were more meaningful
The Borgward would become the production base in EEC
I thought the cars made by Borgward would marked as Asutin sold to France and Italy

In addition, I completed my ATL for the UK motor industry
I think we can have some discussions

It's possible,Because borgward would definitely made bodies
Restyled doesn't have to be expensive——They need separate tools anyway
But I thought Pan European style were more meaningful
The Borgward would become the production base in EEC
I thought the cars made by Borgward would marked as Asutin sold to France and Italy
That's pretty much my thinking, too. I wouldn't oppose separate assembly in Italy, Spain, or Belgium, per OTL, with enough reason.

The problem of 24V was that it may be a bit early for the 1970s
Triumph did offer the world's first mass-produced 4-Valve engine in 1973, but reliability was a disaster
4v heads had been around quite awhile already (first was 1919, IIRC). Having one properly engineered for production shouldn't be impossible, but that does demand sufficient testing before it's put on sale.
I think the best route is V12 at 6.4l from the beginning(It is said that experimental 6.4L has better fuel economy than 5.3L)
And produce two related slant-6
a 3.2L SOHC as an introduction ,replace the 2.8/3.4L XK6
a 3.6L DOCH(had a different head)as main sales,replace the 4.2L XK6
a 6.4L SHOC V12 at the top
Only 3.6L and 6.4l are available in the United States
By the late 1970s,the 3.6 Slant6 could got 24 V or turbocharged to fill the gap
That works for me. I think I'd drop either the 3.2 or 3.6 & only offer one inline six, & either SOHC or DOHC, not both; maybe start with the SOHC, then go 24v DOHC (&, my pet idea, FI, probably sourced from Bosch).
A time when Cadillac use 8.0L engine and had the similar price with Jaguar and Mercedes
That still astounds me.

4v heads had been around quite awhile already (first was 1919, IIRC). Having one properly engineered for production shouldn't be impossible, but that does demand sufficient testing before it's put on sale.

That works for me. I think I'd drop either the 3.2 or 3.6 & only offer one inline six, & either SOHC or DOHC, not both; maybe start with the SOHC, then go 24v DOHC (&, my pet idea, FI, probably sourced from Bosch).

That still astounds me.
DOHC is too complex for V12
SOHC may not be powerful enough for L6. As far as I know, Jaguar uses disc combustor to ensure excellent nhv, which will affect performance
Of course, maybe could choose the compromise head of SOHC, but it's beyond my knowledge
I thought they can afford two heads

DOHC is too complex for V12
SOHC may not be powerful enough for L6.
I'm not seeing the issue on a V12: driving one cam or two isn't really a big deal, AFAIK. (That said, I wouldn't demand DOHC on the V12, but I'd like it for the six.) As for "not powerful enough", again, I don't see it. It's the head design that counts: a 24v six, SOHC or DOHC, amounts to the same thing, if the valve sizes & flow rates are the same.

I'm not seeing the issue on a V12: driving one cam or two isn't really a big deal, AFAIK. (That said, I wouldn't demand DOHC on the V12, but I'd like it for the six.) As for "not powerful enough", again, I don't see it. It's the head design that counts: a 24v six, SOHC or DOHC, amounts to the same thing, if the valve sizes & flow rates are the same.
Well,I means OTL V12 head for"SOHC"
A compromise design should be feasible

AFAIK, the OTL V12 was a 12v; going to 24v would be a very good idea,
I think you mean 24 V and 48 v
That's too complicated.
I'm sure Jaguar doesn't have the ability to make it reliable
Even Mercedes in the 1990s couldn't make the 48V V12 reliable. They developed a new shoc 36V V12 to replace it in a few years

:oops::oops: I should've stuck w 2/4v...

IDK if Jag, or anybody, could make a 4v V12 reliable; I don't think TTL's Jag needs to try.
That's why I suggest two heads
V12 has to be simple and conservative,to ensure reliability
A different head will allow Jaguar to play more freely,Instead of having to compromise with V12

That's why I suggest two heads
V12 has to be simple and conservative,to ensure reliability
A different head will allow Jaguar to play more freely,Instead of having to compromise with V12
I'm honestly not seeing any connection. The six & twelve would obviously be different, wouldn't they? Given different bore & stroke (or one of them, anyhow), for a start.

I'm honestly not seeing any connection. The six & twelve would obviously be different, wouldn't they? Given different bore & stroke (or one of them, anyhow), for a start.
I may not have made it clear
The slant6 I suggest is based on the v12
, sharing tools and production lines, Sawn in half

the 3.2 sohc would share the same head、 bore、storke with v12

the 3.6 got a different head and boring

I may not have made it clear
The slant6 I suggest is based on the v12
, sharing tools and production lines, Sawn in half

the 3.2 sohc would share the same head、 bore、storke with v12

the 3.6 got a different head and boring
That might work. I'm seeing the V12 having smaller displacement, but that may be too influenced by OTL. For sales in the U.S., a bigger V12 could be an advantage.

If you're doing that, IMO, any DOHC you can make work on the 3.6 should readily back- & cross-fit: the basic architecture would be the same. (I'm going to presume a simple chain drive, until somebody figures out belt drives are quieter.)

That might work. I'm seeing the V12 having smaller displacement, but that may be too influenced by OTL. For sales in the U.S., a bigger V12 could be an advantage.

If you're doing that, IMO, any DOHC you can make work on the 3.6 should readily back- & cross-fit: the basic architecture would be the same. (I'm going to presume a simple chain drive, until somebody figures out belt drives are quieter.)
Yes, but 3.2 deliberately uses SOHC to ensure that it is not good enough to threaten the sales volume of 3.6
Also could provides more economies of scale for the SOHC head of V12
I am not very familiar about us, but European manufacturers will deliberately provide bad engines on the entry model
such as 280s/bmw725

Last edited:
Yes, but 3.2 deliberately uses SOHC to ensure that it is not good enough to threaten the sales volume of 3.6
Also could provides more economies of scale for the SOHC head of V12
I am not very familiar about us, but European manufacturers will deliberately provide bad engines on the entry model
such as 280s/bmw725
I'm not seeing Jag using both 3.2 & 3.6 at the same time, somehow. There wouldn't be much need for two sixes. An entry-level model with a straight four might be a good idea, but AFAIK, Jag's never contemplated one. And the mid-range V8 looks unlikely, too, so...