Austria and Prussia unite. What happens to former Austrian territories?

So, if all of The German lands within the boarders of the German confederation were to unite, including Austria who gives up it's other territories except for that which is within confederation boarders, what happens to the territories outside of the boarder?
1920px-German_Confederation_1815.svg.png

Here is a map on what I mean.

Last edited:
Entirely depends on the context for the unification.
Ehhh.. let's say the revolutions of 1848 are successful and they go with the Greater Germany plan and that the Hapsburgs are made the heads of the whole thing as compromise for being separated from their territories.

Well, if it’s 48 Hungary would definitely become a thing IMO. The extent of it (would it include all of what would be Hungary’s lands? Modern Hungary? Hungary and Transylvania?) And at this point, the Ottomans and Russians aren’t gone, so they might go for Galicia or Croatia or something. I’d imagine the Czech part might stay in Germany, and maybe the Polish part, since there were Polish areas in OTL Germany to.

Well, if it’s 48 Hungary would definitely become a thing IMO. The extent of it (would it include all of what would be Hungary’s lands? Modern Hungary? Hungary and Transylvania?) And at this point, the Ottomans and Russians aren’t gone, so they might go for Galicia or Croatia or something. I’d imagine the Czech part might stay in Germany, and maybe the Polish part, since there were Polish areas in OTL Germany to.
If the Russians and Ottomans failed to gain Galicia and Croatia, what happens to them?( Galicia and Croatia)

Last edited:
What would be the relation between the new independent nations and greater Germany? They'd be between Russia, Germany, and the Ottomans. Between Russia and Germany, who would they rather ally with?
Not gonna lie- everyone outside of germany would piss themselves and start offering their daughters for an alliance
Does that mean that they'd allow themselves to be ruled by German kings?

There's gonna be a war over Poland

Plus Greater Germany is going to want to keep the whole of the Adriatic coast - maybe a war of Croatian liberation which would result in a Croatia federated to the Confederation?

There's gonna be a war over Poland

Plus Greater Germany is going to want to keep the whole of the Adriatic coast - maybe a war of Croatian liberation which would result in a Croatia federated to the Confederation?
So, I guess Poland will have a chance to go independent and be a German ally.

And Croatia could be another German ally as an independent nation, perhaps with a German Prince to solidify alliances. Which would allow Germany to still have a fleet in the Mediterranean by having it on the Croatian coast and that small peninsula that it has. Although they could take more if they go after Lombardy and Veneto. It would really be in Germany's interest to keep the Italian states divided and dependent on Germany, as that will allow more access to the Mediterranean.

Overall, this unification is going to lead to a large scale European war that would have to be mostly won in Germany's favor so as to preserve the unification.