Opening this thread since the original was too old.

IOTL, the Aborigines never formed a horse culture, despite many of their number becoming accomplished stockmen and horse riders after their conquest by the White Australians.

It seems to me that they never formed a horse culture because they never really got a chance. Once contact started, many of the Aborigines were blitzed over a matter of decades, whereas the Great Plains saw a good century+ of time between the Pueblo Revolt and a concerted colonization effort from a power that was not already overstretched (the French never had the numbers of the Americans, and the Spanish and later Mexicans always had issues projecting power northwards onto the plains).

Could an earlier European contact leading to a failed or incomplete colonization allow the creation of a horse culture? I'm thinking that the Dutch or Portuguese (more so the Dutch) could have made a go at a colonizing a portion of Australia in the 17th century, and then abandoned the colony either due to an Aboriginal 'Pueblo Revolt' or due to external factors, and leave behind livestock as well as Aboriginal and Metis servants/slaves trained in riding and ranching.

Over the 18th century the European powers ignore Australia as IOTL. This gives the Aborigine horse culture enough time to develop. The tribes closest to the colony, and therefore the more culturally disrupted, rebound fast as European diseases would have winnowed the old and left a demographically young society waiting for a population boom and a major change-they may even adapt pastoralism, as the escapees from the colony bring herds of animals in as they return to the tribes. Further out, the culture is more conservative and keeps hunting and gathering, but adapts the horse to supplement its hunting.

This culture will only have time to spread out over one region, IMO. Mountains and deserts will prevent the horse culture from spreading from coast to coast, and environmental and cultural factors will prevent all peoples from becoming 'horse peoples'-horses would have been pretty ridiculous in the Rocky Mountains or the Amazon, after all.

While they probably will be eventually colonized in the 19th century, the horse Aborigines may be able to put up a tremendous military resistance, resulting in much higher numbers going into the modern era. By driving away a 2nd wave of colonialism from one European power, they may open up a multi-state colonization of Australia through a 3rd wave from a different power.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Nephi

Banned
They could get horses from earlier trade with Asia. Maybe China finds Australia first and then plants a few outpost here in there

Opening this thread since the original was too old.

Could an earlier European contact leading to a failed or incomplete colonization allow the creation of a horse culture? I'm thinking that the Dutch or Portuguese (more so the Dutch) could have made a go at a colonizing a portion of Australia in the 17th century, and then abandoned the colony either due to an Aboriginal 'Pueblo Revolt' or due to external factors, and leave behind livestock as well as Aboriginal and Metis servants/slaves trained in riding and ranching.

Over the 18th century the European powers ignore Australia as IOTL. This gives the Aborigine horse culture enough time to develop. The tribes closest to the colony, and therefore the more culturally disrupted, rebound fast as European diseases would have winnowed the old and left a demographically young society waiting for a population boom and a major change-they may even adapt pastoralism, as the escapees from the colony bring herds of animals in as they return to the tribes. Further out, the culture is more conservative and keeps hunting and gathering, but adapts the horse to supplement its hunting.

This culture will only have time to spread out over one region, IMO. Mountains and deserts will prevent the horse culture from spreading from coast to coast, and environmental and cultural factors will prevent all peoples from becoming 'horse peoples'-horses would have been pretty ridiculous in the Rocky Mountains or the Amazon, after all.

While they probably will be eventually colonized in the 19th century, the horse Aborigines may be able to put up a tremendous military resistance, resulting in much higher numbers going into the modern era. By driving away a 2nd wave of colonialism from one European power, they may open up a multi-state colonization of Australia through a 3rd wave from a different power.

Thoughts?

So the Dutch start a settler colony, they've founded the port town of Adelaide and are steadily settling the Murray-Darling Basin and "pushing" the Aboriginal tribes further north. They've got horses, cattle, sheep, and some crops as well when the Netherlands finds themselves on the losing side of a war and are forced to cut costs to preserve financial stability, or maybe they just need the army that they've stationed in Australia back closer to home. So the Dutch mostly leave except for a few dozen colonists that faced with no support from the homeland, are forced to go native to survive. From the Dutch colonists, the Aboriginal people of the Murray-Darling Basin get a jump start on animal husbandry, horse riding and maybe agriculture, and things snowball from there?

Would the Aboriginals be capable of repulsing a determined European nation from their lands? IIRC, they were hunter-gatherers and couldn't muster the resistance that agricultural Native Americans could.

Would the Aboriginals be capable of repulsing a determined European nation from their lands? IIRC, they were hunter-gatherers and couldn't muster the resistance that agricultural Native Americans could.

A determined European nation could not be repulsed indefinitely. However, said nation would need to develop a supply train into the mounted Aborigine territory, and spend a lot of money on building and maintaining fortifications in hostile land. Until the Gatling gun is invented ITTL and is brought to Australia, however, they're going to have a very hard time fighting against a mounted, mobile people (agriculturalist or aquaculturalist Aborigines, however, will not be able to resist as well-burn the fields or destroy the fish traps, and they will submit). Remember, it was the hunter-gatherer Cheyenne and Arapaho who brought down Custer.

I think even with determination, the logistics would require several decades for the determined nation to set up a base from which to launch the conquest, and several decades more to conquer the Aborigines-during which time the nation will experience heavy losses among civilian settlers and soldiers from mounted attacks. And if the mounted Aborigines figure out that they can buy muskets from whalers, we may see at least one Custer's Last Stand or Isandlwana-like event occur.

At the end of it all, we would have a much lower settler population than OTL by the end of the 19th century, and the Aborigines in a situation more like that of the Maori-a higher percentage of the population, their languages more widely spoken and healthier, and a legal paper trail of land ceded through treaty that can provide a legal basis for challenging the European system in its own courts.

A non-determined European power will probably just pack up and leave, or tick to the coast and pacify the interior by bribing friendly mobs with Western goods.

I'll repost a I made on the subject a while back for the sake of discussion:

Most likely a pre-European introduction of horses to Australia would see the Aboriginals hunt the horses to extinction, similar to what happened in North America. But, in the case it doesn't, Australia could be very fertile land for a steppe nomad type civilisation. I actually mentioned it in a college paper on the Plains Indians, once.:oops:

The main issue is is that with horses you are limited to certain regions of the continent compared to with camels, which can range anywhere. The quality of Indonesian horses might be an issue, although going by the Comanche example, any Australian horse civilisation will rapidly learn how to breed better horses.

They don't need crops, the Plains Indians were either not farmers or had abandoned farming. At worst, they might need someone to supplement their calories with once they put too much pressure on the kangaroo and emu (as with the Plains Indians)--the Murray River area had many semi-agricultural groups with intensive (but not agricultural) yam harvesting. If the horse nomads are putting such a huge demand on the yam farmers, maybe that might stimulate a domestication of the pencil yam, murnong, or other suitable crop? I believe there is also a species of yam that is found in New Guinea which is farmed for food but never was in Queensland where it is also found--but the rainforest or the Great Dividing Range in general is bad horse nomad areas, so it would have to be the pencil yam. Western Australia also has some interesting plants too, but getting a horse civilisation there is harder than getting one to New South Wales/Victoria because of the terrain.

Any "civilisation" that develops out of this would be loosely-organised horse nomads, most comparable to the Plains Indians, ruling over a horticulturalist village culture most comparable to the Pawnee, Arikara, etc. The transition to agriculture for them might occur because of the demands placed on them by trade that occurred between Aboriginal groups, which in turn would be caused by overhunting of the kangaroo and the emu. As we saw in North America, bison numbers declined nearly everywhere after the introduction of the horse, even before intensive white hunting. It's gonna be much easier to kill a kangaroo or an emu when you're on horseback, and sooner or later, you won't be able to sustain yourself, your family, or your tribe, based on those numbers, hence you'll go elsewhere to find more. Depending on how many tribes pick up this lifestyle (and many will, elsewise they'll be outcompeted), this will mean huge declines in kangaroo and emu numbers, and the winning strategy will be to trade with tribes that have more food from other sources. I'd expect because of this that Australia will be slightly more populated in the pre-colonial era, even though they'll still get mostly wiped out by smallpox and other diseases in the long run.

The British or any other would-be colonial power will no doubt find them easy to get rid of, but in marginal regions, they will fight back, and they will be a huge thorn in the side. That goes even more if anyone introduces the camel to Australia and some society transitions to camel nomadism. The village Aboriginals will be dealt with as per history--their numbers will be too small after disease and they'll be forced to surrender. Practically, I wonder if the means of dealing with Aboriginals (more treaties, I bet) as well as the fame they'll gain as expert raiders will mean they can at least move to American Indian status in terms of treatment and perception.

Now, European colonisation in a good part of Australia probably won't come until the early 17th century, and would be in the form of the Dutch. Maybe a medieval Portugal wank (including assimilation of Galicia) might produce colonisation as well to introduce horses. In any case, the Europeans would be after a nice base between the Cape and Indonesia for ships traveling along the Brouwer Route, since it's pretty easy to find Australia from there as the Dutch did OTL. So they set up a few trading posts along the Swan River or elsewhere in Western Australia, and introduce horses. But as I noted, wouldn't the Nyungar (or whichever local group if it's in another part of Australia) just hunt the feral horses or otherwise kill horses they purchased from the Dutch for meat?

Perhaps a better way is Indonesian contact, and from earlier on than OTL. Can we have earlier contact between Indonesia and Australia? And horses are introduced, yet we have more time to transmit the skills needed for a horse culture? Since this would be occurring in the Northern Territory/Kimberley region, perhaps Indonesians could also introduce water buffalo which could be helpful as well.

But as I noted, wouldn't the Nyungar (or whichever local group if it's in another part of Australia) just hunt the feral horses or otherwise kill horses they purchased from the Dutch for meat?

Most likely, you are right about that. The caution I normally put in these Australian threads is that the Aborigines had good reason to be conservative about their lifestyle. They were able to live quite comfortably as hunter-gatherers on a continent with highly irregular water supplies over historical stretches of time, which would make Eurasian-style farming more fraught, especially since unlike the British colonists IOTL the Aborigines were not connected to an industrializing global trade network with access to fertilizer.

However, I think I solved that problem by having castaways from the colony introduce the horse and livestock to the tribes in question so they could learn riding, breeding, and see the benefits for themselves. Like I said, Nyungar or mixed-race slaves could do this, though @leopard9 is right that European (or Asian, or African) castaways could introduce horsemanship as well.

Perhaps a better way is Indonesian contact, and from earlier on than OTL. Can we have earlier contact between Indonesia and Australia? And horses are introduced, yet we have more time to transmit the skills needed for a horse culture? Since this would be occurring in the Northern Territory/Kimberley region, perhaps Indonesians could also introduce water buffalo which could be helpful as well.

The inspiration for this thread was a Lapita crop package is introduced to Australia TL I was working on which would see an agricultural civilization with boatmaking abilities in the north (I was trying to make a slightly more conservative version of @Jared 's LORAG).

This civilization would be limited to the east coast of Queensland, but perhaps it could find reason to sail across the Gulf of Carpentaria-perhaps to search for ironwood trees, which are becoming scarce on the heavily farmed and densely populated Queensland coast? They could meet trepangers in Kimberly and Arnheim land, and would have the opportunity to encounter the Dutch and Portuguese on the west coast of the York peninsula. There does seem to be enough brumbies in northern Australia for the government to want to cull them, so the introduction of horses from this contact is possible.

So regarding the spread of horses, I've been doing some research on brumbies and apparently Australia has a lot fewer barriers to the spread of horses than I thought-in fact, looking at the experience of feral horses in Australia, I'm starting to wonder if I was not way too conservative with how fast a domestic horse would spread in my Pecari Rex, Equus Regina timeline.

The damn things have overrun deserts and mountain alike since their introduction by Europeans, ranging in the Australian Alps, the deserts of South Australia, and semi-arid regions in the north. While the type of scenario described in this thread-an introduction at one specific point on the continent by a foreign power over a few decades-would probably not create an overrun continent in the same way that the multipoint-entry of the British invasion did, it looks like a very far spread of the Aboriginal horse culture is possible from something like a single-colony introduction of the horse.

Assuming a spread as fast as that in North America in the Rockies and Great Plains, a Dutch incursion around Perth in the early to mid 17th century could see horse cultures established as far away as the Murray-Darling basin by 1770, spread by an arms race of Aborigines acquiring horses after the creation of an initial indigenous horse culture. But is that realistic? Could I would love to hear some thoughts, especially from our Australian members.

The damn things have overrun deserts and mountain alike since their introduction by Europeans, ranging in the Australian Alps, the deserts of South Australia, and semi-arid regions in the north. While the type of scenario described in this thread-an introduction at one specific point on the continent by a foreign power over a few decades-would probably not create an overrun continent in the same way that the multipoint-entry of the British invasion did, it looks like a very far spread of the Aboriginal horse culture is possible from something like a single-colony introduction of the horse.
Did/do the Aborigines hunt brumbies? If they did/do not then it would appear that they have no direct contact with them to the point that they might tame/domesticate them.

First Draft of a little timeline-going to need a lot of editing!
1619 AD: POD: The Frederick de Houtman makes landfall near OTL’s Geraldton and discovers sandalwood in the area.

A valuable resource coveted for religious rituals in India and China, its presence would attract the Dutch to the new land discovered like flies to shit.

1620 AD: The Dutch establish a colony at OTL’s Geraldton to exploit sandalwood, naming it “Beach” after the legendary land of great wealth described by Marco Polo. Consisting of a few dozen Dutch sailors and over a hundred slaves, the colony gets off to a rough start for the VOC. Almost a third of the slaves go maroon; the Aborigines fight with the Dutch and even make daring raids into the settlement to grab food stores, and one of the colony’s ships wrecks on the Houtman Abrolhos.

However, the colony still manages to generate a large profit when its sandalwood is sent to Batavia. The ships return with Javan ponies, which the Dutch hope to use to chase down runaway slaves and frighten off Aborigine raiders, and donkeys to drag sandalwood trunks to the colony, as well as sheep and cattle to feed the colony. Over the next few years peace is made with the Aborigines, who guide the Dutch to sandalwood groves in exchange for European goods and food and help track down maroon slaves.

1627 AD: Francois Thijsenn explores the southern coast of Australia, calling it “Pieter Nuyts’ Land”. He goes a little further than OTL, and finds sandalwood at the land he dubs “Port Orange” (OTL: Port Augusta) in Robben Bay (OTL: Spencer Gulf).

1628 AD: The ship Batavia is wrecked off the Houtman Abrolhos, but is saved along with most of its cargo in a matter of days by the Beach colony.

The VOC official on the ship Cornelisz Janzsoon appears quite enthralled with the remoteness and access to potential wealth of the colony, noting that Aborigine women live among the Dutch as domestic and sexual servants-some slaves sold to the Dutch after being captured by rival tribes, others were servants, the junior wives of polygamous marriages hired to the Dutch by their husbands. Upon his return to Batavia he lobbies for the creation of more colonies in “New Holland”, playing the part of a loyal servant despite rumors swirling that he had planned a mutiny on board the Batavia.

1629 AD: The commander of Fort Henricus in Timor abandons his post, causing a massive drop in morale among the Dutch of Timor and loss of the VOC’s hope to take the island of Timor from the Portuguese and therefore keep a monopoly on the sandalwood trade.

In response, Batavia grants Janzsoon his wish, ordering the creation of a secondary colony for the Dutch at Port Orange-the VOC’s most remote colony, but one which was potentially quite profitable.

1636 AD: The Dutch abandon Timor, seeing it as no longer profitable enough to justify keeping any soldiers at. Officially, Timor is now under the control of the Portuguese. In practice, it is under the control of Timorese Catholic converts and a few Europeans married into their families. While nominally loyal to the king of Portugual, their main interest is their own wealth, power, and independence.

1642 AD: Abel Tasman stops at Port Orange on his trip to explore the lands “Beyond Beach” to pick up sandalwood for the company and drop off livestock acquired from the Khoi of the Cape of Good Hope. The colony has quite a haul of sandalwood, and in addition is gathering bundles of seal fur gathered by Aborigine women from the nearby Barngala, Kaurna and other Thura-Yura tribes living among the Dutch just as at Beach.

Tasman notes with some disgust that Cornelisz Janzsoon appears to be in a polygamous relationship with several of the sealer women and appears to be trading the seal fur for his own profit rather than the colony’s. But, the sandalwood is delivered as promised, and like many other badly-behaved officials Cornelisz is left to his own devices by the VOC.

1644 AD: Abel Tasman explores the northern coast of Australia with an eye towards finding sandalwood, but does not find any indication of it, ending Batavia’s interest in securing the north coast of the continent.

1646 AD: Franciscan missionaries found a monastery on the coast of Kimberly while Portuguese-Timorese explorers search in vain for sandalwood in the interior. With support from Timorese trepangers, the monastery survives though it does not go very far in converting the native population.

1648 AD: The Dutch West India Company, having recently gained some cash infusion from investors made wealthy by the VOC’s sandalwood trade, is able to muster the resources to fight off the Portuguese attacks on their holdings in Central Africa and Brazil. In the ensuing peace negotiations, they keep a small part of Recife in Brazil to use as a factory for the slave trade. In Central Africa they keep a stronger position, maintaining most control over trade but tolerating a Portuguese presence, much to the consternation of their Congolese allies who come to the crucial realization that the Dutch cannot be fully trusted, and will need to be played off against the Portuguese (credit to @cmakk1012 for inspiring this butterfly).

By keeping a foot on both ends of the Atlantic Trade, the West India Company gained a financial lifeline thanks to the profit they made from the brutal exploitation of slaves captured by their African allies and also earned the nickname “salt dicks”, the idea being that with one foot on each end of the Atlantic their penises dipped into the ocean (IIRC IOTL this is an Afrikaaner insult aimed at British South Africans).

1650 AD: As the sandalwood groves near the colony of Beach become depleted and wider ranging becomes necessary for harvest, the responsibility for harvest falls more and more on the mixed-race children of the colony. More reliable workers than the slaves, these children use their ties to the Dutch and Aborigine worlds to thrive in both. The Dutch paid and protected them to bring in sandalwood; the Aborigines integrated them into the tribes through uncle-nephew kinship networks to keep access to European goods. It is through these kinship networks that the mixed-race members of the colony are reputed to have taught the Aborigines horsemanship.

1652 AD: The Dutch Cape Colony is founded to serve as a resupply station for VOC ships.

1663 AD: Cornelisz Janzsoon dies. Having run Port Orange more as his personal feifdom then as a company-accountable colony, after his death the colony largely falls apart. His former wives disappear off to their home tribes, making off with the herds of sheep that Tasman had given as a long overdue dowry, his mixed-race sons helping them corral the sheep on horseback.

Advised by adopted maroons, the tribes of the interior grow bolder in attacking the colonists as they roam into the inland to search for increasingly rare sandalwood; feral herds of African cattle were destroying fresh sandalwood near the colony before it could grow enough to be harvested, and the seal population was so near collapse that the peoples of Robben Bay stopped responding to any overtures to trade their furs except with hostility. When Batavia sends a representative to check up on the state of colony, he finds only 2 European castaways living fearfully in a fortified homestead. They say that the other colonists had abandoned the post. Janszoon’s dream of a powerful and wealthy colony breaking free of Company control, it seems, died with him. Port Orange is officially written off by the VOC as a formerly profitable but now bankrupt venture, and the colony is officially abandoned.

1682 AD: Smallpox is inadvertently introduced to Beach from Indonesia. While the population of Aborigines had already taken a hit from tuberculosis, syphillis and flu from the European visitors, smallpox was a rapid and vastly destructive force. It would spread from Beach across the southwest, devastating the Noongar peoples and neighboring groups.

1685 AD: The Dutch abandon Beach under orders from the VOC, evacuating to the mouth of the Swan River. In addition to pursuing potentially richer groves of sandalwood to the south, the VOC hoped to create a secondary resupply station for ships sailing the Brouwer Route to complement the Cape Colony.

To bolster this agricultural aspect of the new colony, the VOC diverts hundreds of Huguenot settlers from their original destination of the Cape Colony over the next few years, surmising that a more isolated colony might be a beneficial place to keep potentially troublesome foreigners. This policy is the root of why Austraalier remains a heavily French-influenced Dutch dialect to this day, while Afrikaaner displays almost no Francophone roots.

As for the mixed-race inhabitants of Beach, they split into two groups. Those who follow the evacuation orders and join the Swan River colony became the basis of the Zwaan Coloreds, Austraalier-speaking and largely Europeanized despite observing some Aborigine festivals. Those who did not follow evacuation orders still migrate south, into the savannas of the land that will never be called the wheat belt, driving herds of horses and sheep before them. A creole culture of Aborigines, maroons and a few white renegades, these people spoke a creole Noongar-Kartu language. Their enemies in the semi-arid land to the east of their territory, the Kalamaia, would dub them the name history knows them by, the Mudija.

1688 AD: An English privateer fleet lands at the Swan River colony to resupply. On board this expedition was the explorer William Dampier, whose journals chronicle a slice of the colony’s life. He describes slaves imported from all across the Indian Ocean clearing land across the river, watched by free Zwaan Colored, Huguenot and Dutch settlers who keep a wary eye out for attacks by the native people of the river, the Whajuk tribe of the Noongar nation.

He also notes that riders from the inland-probably the nascent Mudija people or possibly the Ballardong tribe of Noongar-ride in to sell slaves, young Aborigine boys captured in slave raids as well as sandalwood. Women and girls are not traded-a Calvinist minister tells Dampier that this is because they are kept as wives by the raiders, who are trying to bolster their numbers due to the ravages of smallpox, though the minister is confident that the God of John Calvin will send more plagues to rid the land of these “savages” and clear the way for “good Elect Christians”.

Dampier notes that the riders wore emu-feather hats, a vital historical clue as to how the Aborigines were dealing theologically on their end with the changes wrought by colonization. The emu hat is worn throughout the west by mounted Aborigine tribes as part of the Horse Corroboree. Only men who have speared a running emu from horseback at full gallop have the right to wear the hat, which must be worn as part of the Horse Corroboree religious ceremony. This religious ceremony binds the indigenous people south of OTL’s Great Sandy Desert and west of the Great Victoria Desert in giving thanks for the service of the horse in warfare, hunting, and transportation, and calls for the fertility of the herds and success for the horse rider in all his endeavors. While the Dutch continued to challenge the survival of the Aborigines, they had inadvertently gifted to them a powerful tool: the horse.

1700 AD: The Swan River Colony re-establishes contact with Robben Bay, with an outpost built at OTL’s Port Lincoln to serve as a waystation for sealers and whalers. Although only inhabited by seasonal visitors, Fort Janzsoon as it is called recreates the frontier relationship for the Thura-Yura tribes around Robben Bay not seen in over a generation. Dutch sailors provide European goods in exchange for sealskin, but find that hiring sealing women is not as easy this time around-the tribes have horses and can chase down kidnappers who try to steal women, and the ability of women to gain a high status in the Thura-Yura societies had grown due to their responsibility for the newfangled innovation of shepherding. A women’s only ceremony, the Weaver’s Song, forms much the same function as the Horse Corroboree in the west, done to ensure the fertility of sheep and horse herds and to give thanks for the wool used to make blankets.

Like their Navajo and Apache contemporaries, the Thura-Yura peoples kept a mixed economy. Pastoralism was only one survival strategy alongside hunting and gathering, and to keep their environment healthy enough for wild plants and animals they had to thin their herds. Trade with the Dutch helped accomplish this, as did trade with the tribes of the semi-arid interior. These peoples killed and ate sheep without bothering with this newfangled pastoralism, but found the horse very useful in hunting kangaroos, feral cattle and emus and carrying packs of material goods.

To acquire more horses they traded intensely with the Thura-Yura, swapping horses for packets of panic grass millet and roots (due to overgrazing from sheep and feral cattle, the Thura-Yura ran into shortages of carbohydrates). As the Dutch re-established contact, this trade took a sinister turn, with horseback raiders selling captives to the Thura-Yura to sell in turn to the Dutch in exchange for more horses. It is through Aborigine whalers involved in this trade, it is believed, that the Horse Corroboree ceremony spread to the east.

1714 AD: A secondary outbreak of smallpox occurs in Australia, imported from the Cape Colony by accident. Between the slave raids of the Dutch and Mudija, this secondary outbreak is the death knell of the remaining Noongar tribes in the southwest of Australia. Over the next few decades they would rapidly assimilate into either the Swan River colony, becoming Zwaan Coloreds, or flee into the savannas to join the Mudija.

The outbreak of smallpox in the east would end the slave trade to the Swan River colony, as the plague caused tribes to scatter from each other. As it was, the people of the semi-arid interior were now breeding horses on their own, and despite continued trade by the Dutch at Robben Bay, they now no longer depended on any European goods beyond obtaining them as a form of prestige.

1715 AD: The world around 1715 (thanks to @euio for the basemap). In Australia, Orange shows the Swan River Colony and Fort Janszoon. Dark Red shows the Mudija hegemony, while red shows the rough borders of the Emu Hat Complex. White shows the extent of the Weaver Song ceremony, while grey shows the extent of the Eastern Horse Complex. Note that the Dutch control some land belonging to OTL’s Portuguese in Central Africa.

Ey2y3

Attachments

• 1700 OTL.PNG
    1700 OTL.PNG
    43.9 KB · Views: 496
1619 AD: POD: The Frederick de Houtman makes landfall near OTL’s Geraldton and discovers sandalwood in the area.

A valuable resource coveted for religious rituals in India and China, its presence would attract the Dutch to the new land discovered like flies to shit.

1620 AD: The Dutch establish a colony at OTL’s Geraldton to exploit sandalwood, naming it “Beach” after the legendary land of great wealth described by Marco Polo. Consisting of a few dozen Dutch sailors and over a hundred slaves, the colony gets off to a rough start for the VOC. Almost a third of the slaves go maroon; the Aborigines fight with the Dutch and even make daring raids into the settlement to grab food stores, and one of the colony’s ships wrecks on the Houtman Abrolhos.
It is clear from the Pod that this is a VoC colony. Therefore, it would be run on the same principles as the Cape colony was on OTL. The VoC were unscrupulous control freaks. They would not have allowed large numbers of renegades to set up shop on their border.

It is clear from the Pod that this is a VoC colony. Therefore, it would be run on the same principles as the Cape colony was on OTL. The VoC were unscrupulous control freaks. They would not have allowed large numbers of renegades to set up shop on their border.

In theory, you could have the VOC follow up on their plans to depopulate several of the Spice Isles and repopulate it with slaves. The Aborigionals make a nearby cheap source and could be a valuable commodity, especially since sandalwood is hardly so labor intensive as to require a mass labor force. Far more likely, using some local tribes as clients/slavers; horses making both a valued trade good in exchange and a way to make their allies more efficient, would be the best way for a local polity to acquire them. Hell, it would also encourage war-making and power consolidation on the part of said Aborigionals as well as adopting a more defendable (ie settled) way of life by their potential victims as well. Similar to how the Viking slave trade and raiding prompted a similar development in Ireland

The VOC would not have wanted renegades setting up shop on their border. Whether they could have stopped said renegades from setting up shop is another thing; they would need the assistance of neighboring aborigines to track down the maroons. Now this could happen; it did IOTL in the US with Native Americans tracking down escaped slaves. However, Australia is a pretty large and sparsely populated place, even without epidemics decimating the Aborigines. While the initial runaways may be recaptured, doing so would be very hard-hence the VOC's introduction of horses.

FillyofDelphi said:
In theory, you could have the VOC follow up on their plans to depopulate several of the Spice Isles and repopulate it with slaves. The Aborigionals make a nearby cheap source and could be a valuable commodity, especially since sandalwood is hardly so labor intensive as to require a mass labor force. Far more likely, using some local tribes as clients/slavers; horses making both a valued trade good in exchange and a way to make their allies more efficient, would be the best way for a local polity to acquire them. Hell, it would also encourage war-making and power consolidation on the part of said Aborigionals as well as adopting a more defendable (ie settled) way of life by their potential victims as well. Similar to how the Viking slave trade and raiding prompted a similar development in Ireland

It's an interesting if horrific idea, but I don't think the Aborigines have the population to support such mass enslavement, and with epidemics scything through their ranks I don't think an Aborigine slave trade would be profitable at such a large scale.

17th and first half of 18th Century-Second Draft
Taking another crack at this based on feedback from other members. Map forthcoming.

1627 AD: A freak storm drives Francois Thjissen's ship The Golden Seahorse north, damaging it and leaving it to limp to OTL's Perth. There, abundant wood would make repairs easy, and Captain Thjiessen is given permission by the VOC official on the ship, Pieter Nuyts, to explore up the river he names the Nuyts River (OTL: Swan River) into the interior.

Francois Thjissen returns with reports of seeing people on the waters' edge, of strange animals...and of sandalwood. The aromatic wood of this tree was a highly-sought commodity in China and India, and the VOC had already been trading it. This discovery would quickly see the VOC establish a colony in Australia.

1629 AD: The ship Batavia lands at the mouth of the Nuyts River to establish a colony before sailing north. Cornelisz Janzsoon had sought out a position as governor, outwardly promising to loyally serve the VOC, though his later behavior showed that Janszoon seemed to have ambitions to run his own little kingdom in Australia.

Whatever his motivations, Janzsoon would provide the VOC with the sandalwood it wanted. He would establish a colony with a few dozen Dutch soldiers overseeing over one hundred slaves from Africa and Asia, sent to find and dig up whole trees near the Swan River and its tributaries, to be carried or boated back to the mouth of the colony to be cut up and then exported for sale in China and India.

This profitable trade would see speedbumps, of course. The people that Thjissen had glimpsed, the Whajuk tribe of the Noongar nation, would react with hostility to the intruders. They ambushed soldiers and slaves alike to kill them with spears, and looted the VOC’s camps for tools and food. In the forested lands of the southwest, many slaves saw the opportunity to escape and went maroon as soon as they could, disappearing from the reach of Janzsoon and his men.

1630 AD: In light of the governor of Dutch Timor deserting his post the previous year, the VOC makes the decision to abandon Timor and send the colonists there to the Nuyts River colony. Along with their arrival, they bring livestock from Indonesia including Java ponies, specifically requested by Janzsoon to use to hunt down maroon slaves and deter Aborigine raiders. The Nuyts RIver colony starts turning a tidy profit for the VOC as sandalwood is shipped out in increasingly large amounts.

1642 AD: Abel Tasman visits the Nuyts river colony before his trip to the Pacific, bringing herds of sheep and cattle from the Cape to replace livestock lost to raiders per requests made by Janszoon. At the colony he notes that multiple Aborigine women live among the Dutch, some sold as slaves to the Europeans after being captured by rival tribes, and some 'junior wives' in polygamous marriages hired out as labor by their husbands. The initial raids conducted by the Whadjuk had resulted in them becoming entranced by the use and prestige that could be gained from obtaining European goods, and the tribe had established peaceful contact with the Dutch interlopers in the hope of gaining more.

Tasman notes that Janzsoon seems to be in a polygamous relationship with several of the Aborigine women, and that mixed-race children now live in the colony.

1648 AD: The Dutch West India Company, having recently gained some cash infusion from investors made wealthy by the VOC’s sandalwood trade, is able to muster the resources to fight off the Portuguese attacks on their holdings in Central Africa and Brazil. In the ensuing peace negotiations, they keep a small part of Recife in Brazil to use as a factory for the slave trade. In Central Africa they keep a stronger position, maintaining most control over trade but tolerating a Portuguese presence, much to the consternation of their Congolese allies who come to the crucial realization that the Dutch could not be fully trusted, and would need to be played off against the Portuguese (credit to @cmakk1012 for inspiring this butterfly).

By keeping a foot on both ends of the Atlantic Trade, the West India Company gained a financial lifeline thanks to the profit they made from the brutal exploitation of slaves captured by their African allies and also earned the nickname “salt dicks”, the idea being that with one foot on each end of the Atlantic their penises dipped into the ocean (IIRC IOTL this is an Afrikaaner insult aimed at British South Africans).

1652 AD: The Dutch attempt to retake Timor, but in their absence the Portuguese freebooters had dug in tightly, living mostly in the interior from which they could strike at any Dutch settlement and disappear, and keeping their few coastal settlements heavily fortified. The VOC is not able to dislodge them, and is ordered to give up the fight so as not to endanger the Dutch factory at Recife. Peace finally reigns between the Portuguese and the Dutch, emboldening the Portuguese in Timor to try their luck at expanding.

1653 AD: The labor of digging up and returning sandalwood starts to be taken over by “Zwaan Coloreds”. Named for the black swans of Australia, these mixed-race children of the colony were more reliable than the slave labor that constantly went maroon and had to be recaptured, and were willing to work for basic supplies such as iron tools.

Using kinship networks with their maternal uncles and cousins in the Whadjuk and other tribes,, the Zwaan Coloreds hired guides to navigate to sandalwood in the interior and in exchange passed on to the their Aborigine relatives livestock, iron tools, and knowledge-it is believed to be through these networks that the Noongar learned animal husbandry and riding.

In the north, Portuguese Dominican friars from Timor found a monastery in Arnhem Land, creating a base from which to search for sandalwood. These searches fail to find anything of value in the interior, but the Timorese find that Arnhem land is good trepanging land. The Monastery has some success growing bananas and other foods, and by trading foods and goods to the Aborigines manages to make some nominal converts.

1655 AD: The Dutch West Indian Company’s attempt to re-establish a colony in Valdivia from which to prey on Spanish treasure fleets meets with failure after conflict with both the Spanish and the Mapuche. Pulling back, though, the company notes that there is a possibility for another colony which could provide a base from which to launch pirate attacks on the Spanish: the Malvinas Islands, on which the retreating WIC ships resupplied. Further exploration would be necessary to determine if the colony would be worth establishing there.

1661 AD: The Nuyt River colony receives a surprising visitor: the Dutch mathematician Arend Roggeveen (Father of OTL’s explorer Jacob Roggeveen). Sailing from the Malvinas, he had gone into the Pacific to find the Great Southern Continent and whatever wealth it contained, and find a route through which China could be easily reached without running afoul of either the Spanish or the VOC. Roggeveen had found neither-the route he took was long and difficult, with a ship wrecked off a reef in Samoa and no sighting of gold or sandalwood on any islands he enountered-though perhaps he did not look hard enough.

Janszoon sees Arend as a threat to both his power and a challenge to the VOC, and orders Arend executed, and his sailors enslaved. Word does get out to the governor of Batavia about this state of affairs. He orders the prisoners released, their enslavement a step too far even for the VOC, and eventually decides to recall Janzsoon-creating a shock that Janzsoon does not recover from.

1663 AD: Janzsoon dies. Having run the colony like his own little feifdom, it would come into some disorder after his death, with his wives and some of his children leaving the colony and driving herds of sheep, horses and cows before them as a long overdue dowry. Many of the remaining slaves would go maroon, joining small established communities of maroons living in the bush among the Aborigines.

The new governor would re-establish the sandalwood trade, leaning ever more heavily on the Zwaan coloreds to bring back the precious wood. Janzsoon may have been unscrupulous and amoral even by the VOC’s standards, but he had been quite efficient at getting the easy-to-reach sandalwood. Now, the Zwaan coloreds would need to range further and further afield to gain this product. Getting access to it would require appeasing ever more distant tribes like the Yamadtji and the Kalamaia. These people were eager to get access to horses and metal for themselves and so were willing to guide the Zwaan Coloreds to sandalwood groves for the right price. Obtaining horses and metal would allow them to fight Noongar raiders and give them some respite from the changes that Dutch colonialism was wrecking in western Australia.

1670 AD: Feral populations of water buffalo and swine explode in the north, as Dominican monks attempt to teach farming to Aborigine converts but instead see their livestock 'learn wildness' from the native peoples.

Aboriginal conversion to agriculture is a little more successful in the southwestern Dutch lands, as some of the Zwaan Coloreds and Noongar living among the Nuyts River colony start farming in the European style, assimilating to the European way of life.

1689 AD: Smallpox is introduced to Dutch Australia from Batavia, devastating the Noongar nation whose numbers were already dropping due to tuberculosis, syphilis, and a growing slave trade ferrying women and children to the Nuyts River colony.

Many Noongar survivors would come to live among the colony, adding to the number of Zwaan coloreds, but others-especially those who had adopted marooned slaves into their ranks-would flee into the land that would never be called the Avon wheatbelt and adopted a changed lifestyle. They brought livestock, sheep they herded and cared for using knowledge learned from the Dutch and maroons, and horses they rode as their Zwaan Colored cousins had taught them. They would come to dominate the wheatbelt, trading, raiding and fighting with the tribes to the north and east. From one of these tribes, the Kalamaia, the new people would be given the name history knows them by-Mudija.

With sandalwood near the Nuyts River colony depleted, the Mudija would become the VOC’s main supplier of this product, in addition to selling Aborigine women and children as slaves to the European and Zwaan Colored farmers of the Dutch colony.

Just as the Mudija had been transformed by contact with European lifestyles, the Zwaan Coloreds and Noongar who came to live at the Nuyts River colony would add their own twists to the European lifestyle they were adopting, bringing bush tucker to add to the farms on the river bank. Although initially grown mostly as a medicinal plant, bloodroot can be made into a spicy powder. This spice proved to be a small but valuable addition to the spice trade for the VOC, adding to the profitability of the colony (credit to @metalinvader665 for the idea).

1699 AD: The English Privateer William Dampier lands at the Nuyts River Colony to resupply. He notes that a “native pepperroot” is grown by the few farmers of the colony, and writes that riders from beyond the colony came to visit it while he stayed there, dragging with them a sandalwood tree to be processed and sold. Significantly, he notes that one of the riders wore an emu feathered headdress.

This is the first written evidence of the growth of the Horse Corroboree, a religious practice of the Mudija which would spread to other Aborigine tribes. Generally a men’s ceremony (though women had their own concurrent ceremony where they ritually painted foals to make them grow fast and strong), this ritual saw older men pass on oral tales of riding prowess, knowledge of how to break and ride horses, and the secret prayers through which a horse could be taught to bring wealth to its rider. The ceremony can only be led by an Emu Hat Man, a hunter who has earned the right to wear an emu feather headdress by spearing a running emu while at full gallop. It was probably the earliest priests of this tradition that William Dampier witnessed, displaying their supernatural power to their comrades as they sought the wealth provided by the Dutch through the sandalwood trade.

1702 AD: Under orders of a new governor sent to re-establish Portuguese authority over Timor, Aborigine converts in Arnhem land are given muskets with which to hunt feral water buffalo and export their hides. This turns into a thriving trade, with the converts also taking the opportunity to settle some old scores with their tribal enemies, killing them or capturing them to sell to the Portuguese.

Timorese deer would be introduced to the north within a few years to add to the hide trade. The Dominicans of Arnhem land kept some horses and had some converts who knew how to ride, and with their usefulness for the hunt a steady stream of horses would be imported to the north in exchange for hide and deer horn, establishing a northern horse culture which mirrored the Horse Corroboree culture of the southwest.

1714 AD: A second introduction of smallpox from the Cape kills many of the younger Noongar; this second outbreak would be the beginning of the end of the Noongar tribes in the temperate southwest. Having seen their traditional religion fail to protect their children, many would abandon their homelands with some going to join the Zwaan Coloreds and seeking solace in the churches of the Nuyts River colony, while the many otherswould flee to the savannas of the interior to join the Mudija. This influx of people would allow the Mudija to recover very rapidly from the epidemic. Although they were now certainly the largest and most powerful of the Aborigine peoples though, they were not unchallenged.

At this point the Horse Corroboree had spread into the scrublands south of OTL’s Great Sandy Desert and west of the Victorian Desert and Nullarbor Plain and with it the knowledge of horse riding. The other Aborigine tribes who practiced the Horse Corroboree such as the Yamatji and the Kalamaia kept a hunter-gatherer lifestyle rather than adopting a pastoral one, even as they bred horses themselves. This allowed them to live with a lighter ecological footprint-which among other things, meant that groves of sandalwood were more likely to regrow in the land they controlled. Using new long spears to hunt emu and kangaroo from horseback, these tribes were producing their own warriors who could ride and fight the Mudija, deterring slave raids, and they could force the Mudija to negotiate before harvesting sandalwood to sell to the Dutch, gaining European goods and metal tools. As a religious practice, the Horse Corroboree seemed to work, for the horse did indeed bring wealth to its riders just as the ceremony promised the faithful.

1722 AD: Jacob Roggeveen follows in his father’s footsteps, seeking the legendary Terra Australis. Where his father had sailed west to east, Jacob secured funding from the VOC to sail east to west, to explore the land that Abel Tasman had called “New Zealand” to see if it was the legendary southern continent his father had sought.

He circumnavigates the North Island of New Zealand, proving that it is not the fabled Great Southern Continent. Although he did not find any easily exploitable resources in this land, his descriptions of New Zealand and Australia would be published in Europe and greatly interest the European imagination. The Aborigine imagination was less intrigued by this strange white man who appeared and disappeared. The Maori imagination was somewhat piqued by this man who appeared, circled Te Ika-a-Maui, and then vanished. To this day, their oral history credits Roggeveen with introducing the “Goblin kumara”, or potato, to their land, and Roggeveen’s journals do indicate that he left gardens of potatoes and other plants as a precursor to colonial projects which would never be realized.

1725 AD: European interest in the Terra Australis grows as the Nuyts River colony begins to sell produce into the Indian Ocean, providing grain and meat to French Mauritius and to the ships of the British East India Company.

With the Mudija hegemony shielding the colony from raiders and bloodroot becoming a more common commodity in the Netherlands, the colony would start to attract more Dutch settlers interested in farming the Australian southwest. Difficulty in securing labor for farms and the challenges that poor and saline soils poised to European farmers in Australia limited settlement, but several hundred Dutch “Burghers” would flock to the colony at this time. These settlers, along with “Austraalier Malays” and Zwaan Coloreds would form the core of VOC Australia, extending the VOC’s dominion to the forested land southwest of OTL’s Avon wheatbelt.

1727 AD: This seems like a good point to take the butterfly net off for random events, right? Let’s start with Anna Petrovna surviving childbirth in 1728. A nice, positive butterfly.

1730 AD: The Antipodes Company is incorporated in London to explore and exploit eastern Australia. Initial expeditions launched to this land do not find much-no gold, no sandalwood on the coasts or even up the Murray River, and no spices. Just black men with spears who did not seem to grasp that as indigenous people they had no right to the land they lived on, and who rudely speared the initial English explorers.

However, after 1732, the Antipodes company is able to snatch up whaling ships from the South Seas company on the cheap after the latter’s attempts to whale in Greenland prove unprofitable. Sending these ships to “Van Dieman’s Land” (OTL’s Tasmania) turns a profit for the company between whale blubber and sealing, and the English quickly establish themselves in southeastern Australia.

1735 AD: French explorer Pierre Bouger visits eastern Australia, making astronomical observations and gathering intelligence for the French government. Like William Dampier before him he makes notes of the Aboriginal peoples, but he sees no evidence of horses or horseback riding in the southeast. After his visit, French ships would join the Antipodes company in whaling and sealing in the east. Looking to head off the competition, the Antipodes company orders its captains to attack French ships, provoking international tensions.

1740 AD: The French officially join the Guerra del Asiento, then being fought between Britain and Spain, on the Spanish side. Officially their Causus Belli was piracy committed by English ships on French ones in Australia.

Combined, France and Spain’s navy was quite formidable and the British believed that they could and would invade Great Britain, and so put the bulk of their forces into guarding the English channel. This was not a bad guess, but it turned out to be a tactical mistake as the Spanish government persuaded the French to take the fight to the British in the New World.

The French would avoid challenging the English in the channel itself and instead ferried troops and supplies to New France and Spanish Florida.

1742 AD: The French put their plan into action in North America, attacking the British from New France and assisting the Spanish with an invasion of Georgia through Florida.

The Florida campaign is not a success, as the French and Spanish soldiers tried to use European tactics in a frontier setting, and many of the French troops were unseasoned and unable to fight due to malaria. The French/Spanish forces in Georgia are easily driven back into Florida by a ragtag colonial militia.

The northern campaign is more successful, as allied Indians and French colonists provide guidance and assistance to French troops, helping them successfully drive the British out of Nova Scotia and Acadia. With the War of the Austrian Succession in full swing at this point, the French are not able to send reinforcements to follow up on this success or to invade New England, and with the aid of their Iroquois allies the British rally and hold off French incursions.

1744 AD: The French government, having already committed ships to the Americas to fight alongside Spain in the Guerra del Asiento, decides not to attempt a naval invasion of Great Britain. This is to the great chagrin of many in the French military, who saw this as a missed opportunity which quite clearly would have been a great military success for France. The lesson they learned in the Guerra del Asiento was to bring the war to the British in their homeland as quickly as possible next time.

1748 AD: The end of the War of Austrian Succession returns most of Europe to the status quo antebellum, with Prussia and France’s political goals unrealized. However, having entered into war against Britain early and alongside Spain due to events in Australia, France had now secured the Acadian peninsula (OTL’s Nova Scotia) and much of Acadia, putting New France in a more defensible position from the British. With no losses to their American holdings, the French keep control of the European factories seized in Madras since they had no reason to trade them away.

The French victory over the British was by no means decisive. To have the British accept peace terms the French officially ceded any claim they might have to “the lands beyond Dutch Beach [a term the French and British used for Dutch Australia, taken from Marco Polo’s legendary island of Beach], essentially granting the British Antipodes Company a monopoly on southeastern Australia.

1750 AD: OTL’s Townsville area in Queensland sees the introduction of metal tools such as axes, brought to the continent hundreds of miles away by the Portuguese in Arnhem land. These axes had been traded over the Great Dividing range by mounted aborigines hailing from the Gulf of Carpenteria where horseback riding had now been established as a way of life, a way to seize slaves and the main way to hunt.

Despite being drawn into the economy of the northern horse culture, the natives of the Townsville region do not adopt horses, which were less useful in the more forested east coast-insofar as they interacted with mounted Aborigines, they used dense forest cover and networks of ditches to trip up slave raiders on horseback.

Staving off this forceful introduction of a horse culture, the coastal Aborigines established their peaceful trade. They manufactured long spears (three times as long as traditional spears) used for hunting on horseback and collected ironwood bark for the creation of shields and saddles for the mounted peoples of the interior. In exchange, they gained leather goods, horseflesh jerkey, and metal tools from Arnhem land, bringing them into the Portuguese economy of Northern Australia despite the fact that they would never see a Portuguese.

1751 AD: The Dutch-Noongar war breaks out as free Dutch farmers spread out from the Nuyts River colony, coming into conflict with Noongar peoples who remained unassimilated.

1754 AD: The Washington War breaks out in North America, so named for a young British militia leader who was captured and executed by the French after trying to lead an attack into the Ohio territory. This war would fold in with the 7 Years’ War.

1756 AD: The Dutch-Noongar war ends with the Dutch successful in expelling the few remaining free Noongar from the forested southwest, or enslaving them. In the savannas of OTL’s Avon Wheatbelt, though, the Dutch fail to bring the Mudija to heel. The sandalwood and slave trade had seen the Mudija acquire guns to match the firepower brought in by the Burghers. In addition, the horsemanship the Mudija practiced was unmatched by the Dutch, and allowed them to launch devastating guerilla attacks on Dutch farmsteads.

The Dutch Burghers would not be able to count on the support of the VOC for two reasons. The Burghers trekking east practiced ranching, while the VOC wanted its farmers to grow bloodroot and stay tied to more controllable farming land. Secondly the VOC did not want to endanger the sandalwood trade-even though sandalwood was now very rare in the west, its rarity was making it more valuable.

Facing lack of support from colonial authorities and a determined Mudija resistance, the Burghers were forced to accept that the Mudija who they saw as “the bastard son of slave and a savage” was master of the savannas, and that the Austraaliers would have to remain under the thumb of the VOC in the southwest.

1763 AD: The 7 Years’ War ends with the “Crushing of Prussia”. Tsar Peter III, a ‘gentle soul’ under the influence of his mother who had raised him for most of his life, had handed over execution of the war to Russia’s generals on the death of his aunt Elizabeth-and they had brought down proud Prussia, decisively ending the 7 Years’ War.

Prussia’s ally France had not fared much better, having tried to refight the Guerra del Asiento by invading Britain by sea. This plan saw their fleet crushed at Dover and supremacy given over to Britain on the high seas. Unable to supply their colonies, they had lost the Ohio territory to Britain. In India, the end of the war saw their Bengal allies grant favorable trade terms to the British East india Company.

Unsatisfied by this war, the French would launch some new colonization projects which would, in turn, prompt the British to continue working to expand their Empire.

1764 AD: The French send thousands of settlers to New France, Acadia, Louisiana, and Guyana. The thousands of settlers in Guyana are mostly killed very quickly by tropical disease.

In New France, hundreds of settlers are killed by the Haudenosaunee as they settle on their land. This provides the impetus for the “harrowing of the Iroquois”. The French and their Huron allies ethnically cleanse the Iroquois, burning fields of maize and razing entire villages. The Iroquois would seek refuge with the British, who granted them land south of the Finger Lakes. These Iroquois in turn would volunteer to serve as scouts for the British in the Ohio territory, preserving their claims to land in the Finger Lakes by opening up land to the West for British settlement-and therefore driving many of the Shawnee and Lenape north to seek refuge in New France.

1764 would see the beginning of the British colonial project in Australia, with settlers brought to sealing outposts in Van Dieman’s Land.

1774 AD: British colonists discover gold in Van Dieman’s Land. This torpedoes any hope of peaceful coexistence with the natives of the land, who are subject to massacres and attacks by a flood of gold prospectors. Many were taken into custody by the British authorities under the pretext of humanitarian concern. But driven by greed, the British end up selling many of the Aborigines under their ‘protection’ to the Austraaliers, where they are assimilated into the Zwaan Colored population.